Re: Question/Poll: alphanumeric Id's

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 14, 2004
      I don't think it's a bad idea, but I kinda like the numeric
      designation. The numbers easy to pick out on the report and easy to
      write in the orders, plus you can already name & describe each unit
      to personalize them (how many other games can boast about that!!!),
      so I don't see a real advantage. You also have to ask how much extra
      work are you making for yourself? If it's a easy program change,
      maybe, if it's a lot of work, probably forget about it.

      Just as a aside, I'm excited about the new changes you have made.
      Are you planning on posting this as a .exe file to the site? I'm not
      a programmer (or I'm just plain lazy, take your pick!) and would like
      to experiment with the changes. Just a thought (now who's making
      extra work for you!?!).

      Rich

      --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Jan Rietema <ravanrooke@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Another idea of mine is to replace numeric unit id's with
      alphanumeric. The idea is to make the id's more easily memorised by
      players. One digit could be easily dropped even for the largest games.

      > What I mean is, instead of having units '14211' and '14221' etc we
      could have '4bd7' and 'y1s3' or even just letters 'aydk', 'eejh'
      (note that the examples given aren't meant to correspond with each
      other).

      > Is this desirable from a player perspective? From a client
      perspective? Do some of the old school Atlantis folks feel that this
      would disrupt the 'look and feel' aspect too much?

      > Jan
      >
      > p.s. if people don't like this I'll just have to raise the font
      size in my ah.cfg to make sure I don't mess up unit numbers like 3188
      and 8766 ... :)
    • Michael Kelly
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 7, 2004
        --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Enno Rehling <enno@d...> wrote:
        > Anthony Briggs wrote:

        > >>Actually, I would. Particularly since the game automatically generates
        > >>the ID in the template for next turn.
        > >
        > > What about give orders? attack orders? They're not generated
        automatically.

        > Exactly. I was just staying for a night
        > at some friends' place, a couple
        > that both play Eressea. In the morning,
        > they were discussing teach
        > orders, each with their laptop ready.
        > "Teach my units zu89 hL78 and 5rtk
        > in polearms, and ...". That is much nicer with short IDs.

        Even easier is teach Warrior33 through 45, and far easier to get right.