makefile problem and Windows running

  • dazrsmif
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      i have uploaded a screenshot taken on my win98 programming machine
      (my xp machine has no c compilers (except over SSH - oh.. and VC,
      but i hate VC).

      I modified the rules.cpp (i think) file.
      I then followed the instructions in the GAMEMASTER file and
      wrote 'make wyreth' the screenshot (in the photos folder) displays
      the errors.

      if im an idiot, just say so, this is my first real experience with a
      makefile.

      Ive been having net problems, so i may have sent this message a long
      time after i wrote it.

      Rad - your computer which runs Perphidea, can you actually do
      anything on it, or does Perphidea stuff up if you play a game or
      something. also, how hard is it to get going again when windows
      crashes?
      actually, i should ask that about thera too. Ant, how hard is thera
      to get going again if you reboot? This is relevant since if i run it
      with Virtual machine, i expect windows to have a heart attack about
      being on all the time...

      On a side note, does anybody here know ASM. im thinking about
      learning it and i have a question.

      DSmith
    • Stephen Baillie
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
        > On a side note, does anybody here know ASM. im thinking about
        > learning it and i have a question.

        As in 80x86 assembly language? I know more of it than I want to; it's
        quite ugly as assembly languages go. Intel sure put the "backward" into
        "backward compatible" there.

        Unless you're delving REALLY deep into what is going on, you usually
        don't need to know assembly. But if you have encountered something
        where you need it, then what is your question?

        Steve.
      • dazrsmif
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
          sorry about this, but im curious.
          You have code here to display a simple messagebox;

          .386
          .model flat,stdcall
          option casemap:none
          include \masm32\include\windows.inc
          include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc
          includelib \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib
          include \masm32\include\user32.inc
          includelib \masm32\lib\user32.lib

          .data
          MsgBoxCaption db "Title of Messagebox",0
          MsgBoxText db "Hello world",0

          .code
          start:
          invoke MessageBox, NULL, addr MsgBoxText, addr MsgBoxCaption, MB_OK
          invoke ExitProcess, NULL
          end start

          i want to know how to have a second messagebox. is it like this:?
          (However that should be formatted)

          .data
          MsgBoxCaption db "Title of Messagebox",0
          MsgBoxText db "Hello world",0
          MsgBox2Caption db "Title of Messagebox2",0
          MsgBox2Text db "Hello again world",0

          .code
          start:
          invoke MessageBox, NULL, addr MsgBoxText, addr MsgBoxCaption, MB_OK
          invoke MessageBox, NULL, addr MsgBoxText2, addr MsgBoxCaption2,
          MB_OK
          invoke ExitProcess, NULL
          end start

          DSmith

        • radk@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
            > i have uploaded a screenshot taken on my win98 programming machine
            > (my xp machine has no c compilers (except over SSH - oh.. and VC,
            > but i hate VC).
            >
            > I modified the rules.cpp (i think) file.
            > I then followed the instructions in the GAMEMASTER file and
            > wrote 'make wyreth' the screenshot (in the photos folder) displays
            > the errors.
            >
            > if im an idiot, just say so, this is my first real experience with a
            > makefile.
            >
            > Ive been having net problems, so i may have sent this message a long
            > time after i wrote it.
            >
            > Rad - your computer which runs Perphidea, can you actually do
            > anything on it, or does Perphidea stuff up if you play a game or
            > something. also, how hard is it to get going again when windows
            > crashes?

            I happen to be running windows XP on my Perphidea computer. I happened to
            have the spare computer, so Perphidea is all I have running on it. The restart is
            easy enough, just reboot and start my program.

            > actually, i should ask that about thera too. Ant, how hard is thera
            > to get going again if you reboot? This is relevant since if i run it
            > with Virtual machine, i expect windows to have a heart attack about
            > being on all the time...

            I am not running as VM, so can't help here.

            Rad

            > On a side note, does anybody here know ASM. im thinking about
            > learning it and i have a question.
            >
            > DSmith

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rick C
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
              From: "dazrsmif" <dazrsmif@...>
              > I modified the rules.cpp (i think) file.
              > I then followed the instructions in the GAMEMASTER file and
              > wrote 'make wyreth' the screenshot (in the photos folder) displays
              > the errors.

              Ooh, that's simple. That's a Unix-style shell script.

              Look back thru the archives, I posted simple instructions on how to build
              under Windows.
            • Stephen Baillie
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
                > sorry about this, but im curious.

                That's ok, so long as you're not a cat! :-)

                > i want to know how to have a second messagebox. is it like
                > this:?
                > (However that should be formatted)

                That looks pretty much exactly right. Looks like the ASM you were
                referring to is a bit higher level than assembly - all it's doing is
                calling one of the standard Windows API functions, MessageBox, with the
                appropriate parameters.

                Steve.
              • dazrsmif
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
                  well, thats what i thought, so i tried it under linux (redhat6), and
                  it gave around 1000 lines of errors, and it seemed to start with
                  what was wrong in the screenshot, but i cant remember.

                  DSmith

                  --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, "Rick C" <pixelcat@m...> wrote:
                  > From: "dazrsmif" <dazrsmif@y...>
                  > > I modified the rules.cpp (i think) file.
                  > > I then followed the instructions in the GAMEMASTER file and
                  > > wrote 'make wyreth' the screenshot (in the photos folder)
                  displays
                  > > the errors.
                  >
                  > Ooh, that's simple. That's a Unix-style shell script.
                  >
                  > Look back thru the archives, I posted simple instructions on how
                  to build
                  > under Windows.
                • dazrsmif
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
                    --- In atlantisdev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Baillie <sgb@b...> wrote:
                    > > sorry about this, but im curious.
                    >
                    > That's ok, so long as you're not a cat! :-)
                    >
                    > > i want to know how to have a second messagebox. is it like
                    > > this:?
                    > > (However that should be formatted)
                    >
                    > That looks pretty much exactly right. Looks like the ASM you were
                    > referring to is a bit higher level than assembly - all it's doing
                    is
                    > calling one of the standard Windows API functions, MessageBox,
                    with the
                    > appropriate parameters.
                    >
                    > Steve.

                    OK thankyou. yes, this is win32asm
                    if youre interested, win32asm.cjb.net has some info, but i couldnt
                    find the messagebox thing. oh well

                    DSmith