Couple of questions

  • Charles Vraspir
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
      First off I am planning on running an Atlantis game soon and wondered
      if someone could answer a couple questions for me.

      1. Do any of the copies of the game that are in the Files section of
      this forum have the updates applied to them?

      2. Anyone have any documentation for the AGM tools that is over on
      the realmslist forum? It looks like an invaluable tool for
      simplifying the admin portion of the game.

      3. Also anyone have a the make file and such for compiling Atlantis
      on a Windows machine?

      Thanks

      Jaerin
    • Mike Barlow
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
        I used to run Realms of the Arcane on a Windoze machine and I would warn against
        it. Something in the code really doesnt like Windoze and is partial to UNIX for
        some reason. I ran the Realms up to Turn 36 I believe it was and error after
        error started appearing a lot of it having to do with Memory issues and I have
        126 Megs of Ram. So this is just to let you know expect problems out of a
        Windoze compiled game of atlantis..

        Mike
        GM
        Realms of the Arcane

        Charles Vraspir wrote:

        > First off I am planning on running an Atlantis game soon and wondered
        > if someone could answer a couple questions for me.
        >
        > 1. Do any of the copies of the game that are in the Files section of
        > this forum have the updates applied to them?
        >
        > 2. Anyone have any documentation for the AGM tools that is over on
        > the realmslist forum? It looks like an invaluable tool for
        > simplifying the admin portion of the game.
        >
        > 3. Also anyone have a the make file and such for compiling Atlantis
        > on a Windows machine?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jaerin

      • Charles Vraspir
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2000
          Thank you for your suggestion. I was originally developing scripts
          and such for Atlantis about a year ago. My idea was to have
          everything web based. Automate all the order submission, turn report
          retreival, listserv(message board), times...all of it on one webpage.
          I had a lot of the scripts written and still have them. I just saw
          that wonderful looking AGM tool and thought with that it would
          simplify things even more and run it on windows. We'll see though.
          Now about which version of Atlantis to use. Any suggestions there?

          Charles

          --- In atlantisdev@egroups.com, Mike Barlow <rondor@t...> wrote:
          > I used to run Realms of the Arcane on a Windoze machine and I would
          warn against
          > it. Something in the code really doesnt like Windoze and is partial
          to UNIX for
          > some reason. I ran the Realms up to Turn 36 I believe it was and
          error after
          > error started appearing a lot of it having to do with Memory issues
          and I have
          > 126 Megs of Ram. So this is just to let you know expect problems out
          of a
          > Windoze compiled game of atlantis..
          >
          > Mike
          > GM
          > Realms of the Arcane
          >
          > Charles Vraspir wrote:
          >
          > > First off I am planning on running an Atlantis game soon and
          wondered
          > > if someone could answer a couple questions for me.
          > >
          > > 1. Do any of the copies of the game that are in the Files
          section of
          > > this forum have the updates applied to them?
          > >
          > > 2. Anyone have any documentation for the AGM tools that is over
          on
          > > the realmslist forum? It looks like an invaluable tool for
          > > simplifying the admin portion of the game.
          > >
          > > 3. Also anyone have a the make file and such for compiling
          Atlantis
          > > on a Windows machine?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Jaerin

          > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: atlan
          tisdev-unsubscribe@e...
        • Larry Stanbery
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2000
            Greetings...

            Urm, I guess I'll spend a moment and toss in my thoughts on this subject.

            That AGM tool you found is something I wrote in Delphi for Mike (GM of Realms
            of the Arcane). It's had a bit of time to grow and develop, but I won't
            warrant that it is bug-free. Caveat emptor. I haven't even looked at it in
            more than two or three months -- I've been swamped with about a dozen other
            things (most significantly, working a full-time software job, and a part-time
            software job on top of that).

            We did experience some difficulties running under Win 95 or 98 (don't remember
            which). The execs you'll find in the download area are ones I compiled with
            GCC (don't remember version) on my Win NT 4.0 system. In actual practice,
            when things started bombing out on Mike's 95/98 machine, they still ran fine
            on my Win NT 4.0 machines (one with 96M RAM, one with 192M). Personally, I'd
            suspect the OS, rather than the programs. (Now, if Mike converted to Linux, I
            bet the problem wouldn't have persisted. =)

            As for the versions, well, I've still not made any definitive doc to describe
            them... <sigh> They do have bug fixes, but not all I've received. Maybe I'll
            have some time soon... =) By the way, I am by no means the "owner" of any
            version of Atlantis, nor the sole bug-fixer, etc. -- please feel free to
            upload fixes and such (within limits of the GPL).

            Larry