Re: Avoid and behind flag in report.

  • wacky_wizard001
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2002
      > A watching unit must be able to report if a unit is watched because
      > they *want* to be see or because they were tracked.
      >
      > In fact, in my game two factions, faction A (unit A, observation 5)
      > and faction B (unit B, obesrvation 1) watch a city. Faction C moves
      > unit C (observation 5, stealth 2, NO_REVEAL). Faction A's report
      > shows unit C and does nothing (a stealthy unit ? where ?). Faction
      > is not able to observe unit C. During a discussion between A and B,
      > they talk about unit C and discover the sneaky unit ! Few turns
      > after, all factions cross-check if a stealthy unit is not
      discovered.
      > Not a very funny thing ! So we adopt the modification.
      >
      > Just my contribution about this upper philosophical question !

      I once asked that if a unit has higher obs the other units have
      Stealth (and useing it) that the observer who is trained in seeing
      people sneaking should have an indication of stealth being used.
      but as there are ways around this (for alliances) i never took it as
      too importent and didnt push.

      for now with an alliance you just have 3 members of the alliance have
      1 of each level (1,3,5) obs in the city then you cross referance the
      level 5 to the level 1's turn each week to catch sneekers. when you
      find one you then compare with the level 3 to get the exact level of
      the stealth unit.

      but makes it much easyer (especialy if you are not in an alliance) if
      a level 5 obs can have some chance of knowing stealth units (useing
      stealth) that they were observed sneaking

      Peter
    • sousaspt
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
        If possible maybe a new "tracking" skill, who would complement OBSE.

        For example, the new SKILL would:

        - Tell you if the units is using REVEAL to cover his presence
        - Know what has that unit done during the turn:
        - To what units he gave silver or any other objects
        - In wich direction he moved when leaving the area
        - What has he studied
        - What does he carry

        BTW i have never understood why when we have a battle there is never
        a report of the unit's faction of our foe.
        I understand that when he is sneaking and i don't have a higher obse
        than his stealth, this is right.
        But when he is not sneaking or my obse is higher, the report could
        tell me the unit's faction. I am in my right of knowing it. It makes
        no sense.

        Victor Sousa

        --- In atlantisdev@y..., "wacky_wizard001" <wacky_wizard001@h...>
        wrote:
        > > A watching unit must be able to report if a unit is watched
        because
        > > they *want* to be see or because they were tracked.
        > >
        > > In fact, in my game two factions, faction A (unit A, observation
        5)
        > > and faction B (unit B, obesrvation 1) watch a city. Faction C
        moves
        > > unit C (observation 5, stealth 2, NO_REVEAL). Faction A's report
        > > shows unit C and does nothing (a stealthy unit ? where ?).
        Faction
        > > is not able to observe unit C. During a discussion between A and
        B,
        > > they talk about unit C and discover the sneaky unit ! Few turns
        > > after, all factions cross-check if a stealthy unit is not
        > discovered.
        > > Not a very funny thing ! So we adopt the modification.
        > >
        > > Just my contribution about this upper philosophical question !
        >
        > I once asked that if a unit has higher obs the other units have
        > Stealth (and useing it) that the observer who is trained in seeing
        > people sneaking should have an indication of stealth being used.
        > but as there are ways around this (for alliances) i never took it
        as
        > too importent and didnt push.
        >
        > for now with an alliance you just have 3 members of the alliance
        have
        > 1 of each level (1,3,5) obs in the city then you cross referance
        the
        > level 5 to the level 1's turn each week to catch sneekers. when you
        > find one you then compare with the level 3 to get the exact level
        of
        > the stealth unit.
        >
        > but makes it much easyer (especialy if you are not in an alliance)
        if
        > a level 5 obs can have some chance of knowing stealth units (useing
        > stealth) that they were observed sneaking
        >
        > Peter
      • JT

          On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, sousaspt wrote:
          > BTW i have never understood why when we have a battle there is never
          > a report of the unit's faction of our foe.
          > I understand that when he is sneaking and i don't have a higher obse
          > than his stealth, this is right.
          >
          > But when he is not sneaking or my obse is higher, the report could tell
          > me the unit's faction. I am in my right of knowing it. It makes no
          > sense.

          There *is* in the code a define called 'BATTLE_FACTION_INFO' which will
          give that information. HOWEVER, the reason I don't turn it on by default
          in Wyreth is that the *same* battle report is sent to ALL people who can
          see the battle (even those who are not involved). This means that some
          random scout from some faction (who has no obse) would get that same
          intelligence as the battle participants and I decided that I did not want
          that to be the case in Wyreth.

          - --JT

          - --
          [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
          [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty. ]
          [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
          [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
        • JT

            On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, sousaspt wrote:
            > If possible maybe a new "tracking" skill, who would complement OBSE.
            >
            > For example, the new SKILL would:
            >
            > - Tell you if the units is using REVEAL to cover his presence
            > - Know what has that unit done during the turn:
            > - To what units he gave silver or any other objects
            > - In wich direction he moved when leaving the area
            > - What has he studied
            > - What does he carry

            In that case, there would need to be a complimenting skill to avoid
            allowing that information to be revealed too. Not happening right now,
            sorry. (It is something I will consider for the future however.)

            - --JT

            - --