Re: [athethfg] THFG Call for Proposals, ATHE 2008

  • Gad Guterman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2007
      Hello, all--

      I'm hoping to organize a panel for the upcoming conference, focusing on how theatre engages with other historiographic arenas.  I am looking at the way the stage interacts with the legal field to re-write court records and how both borrow from and are limited by each other's conventions.  For my paper, I aim to look at a couple of plays dealing with the Oscar Wilde trials and the manner in which they engage with the trial records themselves.  Specifically, I am interested in the mutual development of melodramatic tendencies in theatre about law and in a legal system influenced by the broader culture.

      If others out there are interested in the relationship between theatre and law, we could form a rather specific panel.  However, I would be happy to organize a broader panel that inquires into theatre's engagement with ostensibly more powerful fields like government, church, etc.  I hope to hear about the work some of you are doing so that we can develop a specific panel topic together.  Please let me know if the above idea sparks any interest.

      Best,

      Gad Guterman
      Graduate Center, CUNY

      On 9/25/07, Brino-Dean, Terry <brinodean@...> wrote:

      Colleagues,

      Attached and below you will find our focus group's call for proposals for next year's conference.  I'm appreciative that dialogue regarding possible panels has already begun, so let's keep the discussions going.

      Thanks!

      -Terry Brino-Dean

      THFG Chair and Conference Planner

      Apologies in advance for cross-posting…

      ATHE Theatre History Focus Group Call for Proposals

      The Theatre History Focus Group (THFG) of the Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) invites proposals for panels, roundtable discussions, and other session formats for the annual ATHE Conference to be held July 31 – August 3, 2008 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Denver, Colorado.

      The 2008 conference theme is "Difficult Dialogues: Theatre and the Art of Engagement."  As playwright John Patrick Shanley once said, "Theatre is a safe place to do unsafe things that need to be done."  The 2008 conference is dedicated to this aspect of theatre's nature.  The Theatre History Focus Group invites proposals that deal with this theme in the context of theatre and performance histories as well as the practice of writing theatre history itself.  What are some of the innovative and influential ways in which theatre, theatre artists, and scholars have engaged an audience on-stage, in the classroom, and with the written word ( i.e., history) in an effort to achieve an authentic dialogue?  What historical moments have been seminal in shaping the nature of today's dialogues, both inside and beyond the theatre?  What makes true dialogue so difficult?  What dialogues have been avoided in the past and what dialogues are being avoided on the contemporary stage?  What dialogues are avoided in the investigation, analysis, and writing (or, presentation) of theatre history?  What can history tell us about ways in which to more effectively and authentically engage?  Who has been left out of the conversation, and why?  How has theatre capitalized on the nature of art and served as a "safe place" to engage the "unsafe" in difficult dialogues?  How can "writing theatre history" become an act of engagement as opposed to one of avoidance and/or power?

      This year, ATHE is also sponsoring a series of sessions called Links Panels that are connected through the topic of "Improvisation."  All focus groups are being encouraged to promote the development of sessions that explore the conference theme through the lens of "Improvisation."  The program committee will then select a series of these panels sponsored by various focus groups that will be scheduled throughout the conference.   We invite proposals and/or individual papers that think broadly about the link topic in the context of theatre history.  For example, what has been the relationship of difficult dialogues to the theatrical practice of improvisation?  How has the improvisational form tended to encourage or discourage difficult dialogues?  Additionally, papers might consider the ways in which research and writing become improvisational; how is the process of writing history improvisational?

      Tips for submitting proposals:

      1.  Complete proposals for sessions (with all presenters assembled) should be submitted directly to ATHE through the ATHE website at www.athe.org.  The deadline for all proposals is November 1, 2007.  Please forward a copy of your proposal to THFG Chair and Conference Planner, Terry Brino-Dean at brinodean@....

      2.  Submissions may be either discipline specific or multidisciplinary.  In general, we are interested in panel topics that address the history of theatrical practice, historiography, or the relation of theatre to history in a larger sense.  We do not usually accept papers or panels that focus primarily on a literary analysis of plays.  We particularly encourage proposals that include both senior and junior scholars, as well as graduate students. The senior scholar could well serve as a respondent.  We also encourage collaborations with other focus groups to develop dynamic multidisciplinary sessions.  Proposals that do not fall within the traditional panel format are asked to be specific in their proposals concerning the structure and number of participants so that ATHE understands all space/time needs.

      3.  For Theatre History-Specific Proposals:

      If your session addresses primarily theatre history alone, then choose THFG in the first selection box of the proposal form.  When the selection process begins, all THFG-targeted proposals will be sent to the THFG conference planner.  The THFG Executive Committee will rank the proposals, and the ATHE program committee will use those rankings to make final programming decisions. There is no need to contact the conference planner before submitting a THFG proposal, but do so if you have any problems or concerns or if you are curious as to whether or not your proposal is appropriate for TH.

      4.  For Multi-Disciplinary (MD) Proposals

      If your session addresses theatre history but is also appropriate for another focus group, consider THFG as one of your target focus groups.  You must select 3 targeted focus groups for an MD panel to be considered.  You must also contact the conference planners for each of the targeted focus groups by email before submitting online in order to receive feedback and to make sure the proposals are appropriate for each FG.  If one of your targeted focus groups is not enthusiastic, better to know before submission and perhaps find another FG.  As with the THFG-specific proposals, we receive a list from ATHE of all MD sessions, and we rank those that target TH and return that ranking for consideration by the program committee.

      5.  The proposal form has information on availability of AV equipment and associated costs. Please be aware that approval for grants to cover equipment costs is almost automatic if they accompany the panel proposal, so think about your AV needs while planning your session! Additionally, consider the need for Guest Passes for your session participants.  All requests for Grants and Guest Passes must be submitted along with your panel proposal by the November 1 deadline.  ATHE does not typically award Guest Passes to persons who are affiliated with a college or university.

      6.  Individual papers and assistance in forming panels:  We prefer not to receive individual papers, but if you do have a paper that addresses the conference theme that you would like to propose, we encourage you to use our listservs to network proposals, paper topics, and do other brainstorming.  Right now the THFG utilizes two separate listservs:  One is a Yahoo group that you can join at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/athethfg/.  The other is an ATHE-based listserv that you can sign up for at http://www.athe.org/getinvolved/focusgroups/th.  Individual papers that are received by the conference planner will be grouped into session proposals as it becomes possible to do so given the scope and subject matter of the papers received.

      7.  You should expect to hear whether or not your proposal has been accepted or rejected by early March, 2008.

      8.  Questions?  Review the information on the ATHE website at www.athe.org for additional conference information and submission FAQs, or contact THFG Chair and Conference Planner, Terry Brino-Dean at brinodean@...

      *********************************

      Terry Brino-Dean, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor of Theatre

      Theatre Program Director

      Seton Hill University

      Chair, Theatre History Focus Group, ATHE

      Book Review Editor, Theatre Topics

      *********************************

      (724) 830-0300

      brinodean@...

      U.S. Mail:

      Campus Box 492F

      1 Seton Hill Drive

      Greensburg, PA  15601

    • Joel Bassin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2007
        Gad,
        I'm interested in your panel idea but don't have a specific paper topic in mind right now. I know the deadline is 11/1. I could put something together in the next week or so if that's okay.
        Let me know if this works.

        Thanks, Joel
      • Marla Carlson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2007
          If you're interested, Gad, I have a paper that I wouldn't mind dusting off and reworking that compares the creation and erasure of the wife in the Oresteia with the Lysias I, a legal oration. -Marla