a favor

  • krizna gomez
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15 3:14 AM
    Dear friends,

    I write to you having just come back from Mondragon, Northern Samar- one of the poorest places in the Philippines but a piece of paradise I have been going back to for my human rights work the past two years. I stayed in a farm run by four nuns and a handful of volunteers who have become family to me. For almost a decade now, they have been serving the people of Northern Samar.

    Together they run a private school for poor children- St. Anthony Academy. I visited the school, and I was captivated by the amazing work that they have been doing to educate the youth of Mondragon. However, despite all their work, the children still lack a lot of facilities and materials needed for their classes. Sister Digna Dacanay, the school principal, has had her friends donate used books to develop a habit of reading among the children through the small library that she has painstakingly put together.

    After joining the children for their Monday flag ceremony and prayer gathering, I felt the nagging desire to do something for the students of SAA. Attached is the document sent by Sr. Digna which details the specific needs they have.

    Having been blessed to have finished school only through the generosity of others, I am aware that many poor children can make something of their lives and their future only if they are given the opportunity by others. After their prayer time, I spoke to the children about refusing to give in to poverty in chasing their dreams and in serving others. I hope you can help me show this to be true. A small act of generosity can go a long way to ensuring that they claim a better chance in life this early while they can still afford to be in school.

    Thank you!

    Best,
    Kriz

    --