Appointment of Atty. Sedfrey Candelaria as Dean of the Ateneo Law School

  • krizna gomez
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2012

      ----- Forwarded message from mvalenzuela@... -----
         Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:13:48 +0800
         From: Rona Valenzuela <mvalenzuela@...>
       Subject: [Blueboard] Appointment of Atty. Sedfrey Candelaria as Dean of the Ateneo Law School
           To: blueboard@...

      ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY
      Office of the President

      Memo to     :       The University Community

      From            :       The President

      Subject         :       Appointment of Sedfrey M Candelaria as Dean of the Ateneo de Manila Law School

      Upon the recommendation of the Search Committee for Dean of Ateneo de Manila Law School (ALS), I am pleased to inform the community of the appointment of Atty Sedfrey M Candelaria as Dean of the Law School effective immediately up to 31 May 2015.

      Atty Candelaria's appointment as Dean was unanimously approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting last 4 February 2012.  He has been Officer-in-Charge of the ALS since 1 October 2011.  He has served the University in various capacities as Research Director, Ateneo Human Rights Center; Director of the Adhikain Para sa Karapatang Pambata (AKAP-AHRC), Ateneo Human Rights Center - Child Rights Unit; Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Director for Admissions, ALS; and faculty member in charge of the Juris Doctor Thesis Program.

      As faculty member of the ALS, Atty Candelaria teaches Constitutional Law, International Public Law, International Economic Law, Contemporary Developments in International Law, International Criminal Law, International Humanitarian Law, Children's Rights Law, Refugee Law, Street Law, and Indigenous People's Rights. At the Ateneo Graduate School of Business, he also taught Law in a Business Environment, and Business Ethics and Law.

      Atty Candelaria has a Master of Laws from the University of British Columbia (1989); Bachelor of Laws, Ateneo de Manila Law School (1984); and AB Political Science, Ateneo de Manila (1980).

      On behalf of the Ateneo de Manila, I would like to thank Sedfrey for his generosity in accepting this new mission to lead the Law School.  Let us also thank Atty Cesar Villanueva who led us as Dean of the ALS for more than seven years and is now serving our national government as Chairman of the Governing Commission for GOCCs (GCG).

      We are also grateful to the Search Committee composed of retired Justices Hector L Hofileña (Chairperson) and Adolfo S Azcuna, Atty Cynthia Roxas del Castillo, and retired Judge Oscar B Pimentel. They readily gave their time to examine, interview, and discern the potential candidates for the deanship of our Law School.

      During this period of the impeachment trial, let us rise above the forces that seek to divide us.  Pray too for all those who practice the law and administer justice in our land.  May the truth set us free.

      Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ

      President

      ----- End forwarded message -----

[...]

      MA. KRIZNA S. GOMEZ
      Program Coordinator
      Multi-Sectoral Quick Reaction Teams on Extra-Legal Killings & Enforced Disappearances
      Ateneo Human Rights Center
      G/F Ateneo Professional Schools, 20 Rockwell Drive, Rockwell Center
      1200 Makati City, Philippines
      Tel: (63)(2)8972142
      Fax: (63)(2)8994342