why was erap in the rally?

  • krizna gomez
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008

      I believe I have answered this question of Berts, but I will say it again now for the sake of all who may validly ask.

      When news of Estrada going to the rally came out the night before the prayer rally, we were all shocked and disappointed. I have been attending the meetings in Loyola for the Ateneo community's preparation for this rally, and the representatives of the entire Ateneo community in turn have been very much active in the planning and finalization of the program of the whole rally. Both Sanggu representatives and the administration leaders of the Loyola have been active and careful in ensuring that Ateneo's stand and specific concerns are very well represented the same way that all the other civil society groups are.

      During the first meeting at the IBP, with numerous representatives from all the participating churches and groups in attendance, it was agreed upon and announced that NO POLITICIANS WOULD BE ALLOWED ON STAGE- that should they attend the rally, as they or no other person can be validly prevented from joining, they will not be allowed to speak, precisely because this was supposed to be an action by the ordinary, private citizens. It was going to be an INTERFAITH PRAYER RALLY FOR TRUTH, ACCOUNTABILITY AND REFORM.

      During the final meeting of the program committee the day before the rally, which was attended again by the Ateneo Loyola representatives, the issue of Erap's attendance was raised. The religious threatened to walk out should he attend. So to prevent any kind of divisiveness in the rally which main objective was precisely to unite all in the common call for truth, accountability and reform regardless of their own individual stand regarding the issue of resignation, certain leaders close to Erap were asked to personally ask him to just not attend at all. Nevertheless, this issue was DEFINITIVELY RESOLVED- HE WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON STAGE. Mayor Binay himself, who was aware of the entire process of decision-making by all the groups, said in his interview on TV the morning of the rally that neither Cory nor Erap will speak.

      We confirmed this information with the program committee itself the night before and right before the rally, in recognition and careful safeguarding of the concern of every Ateneo law student, including ourselves, that we will be going to the kind of rally that we envisioned to be taking part in. An encouraging number of students were expressing their desire to go, in eagerness to finally be able to represent the true call of the Ateneo Law School student body, and for once to unite our stand with the rest of the Ateneo community. And our Ateneo Loyola representatives, echoing exactly what was agreed upon in the meeting, assured us of it.

      We are as disappointed and scandalized by this sudden and unexplained event. The Ateneo contingent, consisting of the Loyola community, the Jesuit priests and religious, alumni, partner NGOs, and the Ateneo Law School students and lawyers, were even shouting for him to get out of the stage. Some did even walk out. Leaders from the Loyola administration were just as scandalized.

      We went room-to-room knowing what we all stood for and under the genuine belief of what was what we thought in honor was agreed upon by all the rally organizers, and the 60 or so Ateneo Law School contingent marched along with thousands of other students, priests, and nuns from Don Bosco to Ayala fired up and eager to take part in calling for genuine change- a march to resolve the issues, and not to center, not the least even mention, any personalities. The 15,000 or so who came from Don Bosco, who were inspired by the precise turn-out of the nature of the march (prior to the program in Ayala), could attest to this.

      We are as tired of being misrepresented beginning here in school. We would never even think of doing the same to our friends and fellow students whose true voice we genuinely valued and to the best of our efforts sought to protect. Ganito na nga siguro talaga ang pulitika sa Pilipinas. Nawala na ang konsepto ng isang salita.