RE: [ateneolaw2009] my lame reaction to current events

  • carlo villarama
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007
      "everyone is entitled to his own opinion" - here's mine

      the senator obviously wants change. i know i do.. you do too. but what have you done to effect this change? what have WE (as the Ateneo Law community) done? hmm.. let me see: we have a Human Rights Org. we have a Debate Team. We give to charity. We study so so hard. we party at the start of the school year. we party again after midterms. we write our opinions and say whatever we want - FOR THE GOOD OF THE NATION!

      my point is simple. the senator broke the law, even bastardized the solemnity of Judge P's courtroom (wink wink). he openly defied THE RULE OF LAW. yeah yeah..

      His principle AND method might be grossly wrong.  and he enraged the feelings of many of the prominent members of our batch.

      but hey, who are we to say that he's wrong? he ain't no martyr, but he's GODDAMN BRAVE. wasn't Ninoy just as brave? openly defying a dictator? wasn't Bonifacio also brave? Rizal? Lapu-Lapu? Kopong-Kopong? Mahoma? Berts - for opening this thread? Jess - for speaking-up and thrashing the wrongful acts of a senator? - just like Trillanes who openly defied "the sacred and solemn" (not to mention, the easy way out of an argument) RULE OF LAW.

      "he broke it, therefore he's wrong!" c'mon, we all know we're better than that.

      eto lang masasabi ko.. bilib ako kay Trillanes. tanga nga siya. gago. sira-ulo. pero may PANININDIGAN. yung "akala" niya tama, pinag lalaban niya. eh yung "akala" nating tama? pinaglalaban ba natin? sino ngayon ang tama? yung "akala" niyang tama? o yung "akala" nating tama? akala ko ba Rule of Law? - eh "akala" mo lang yun. mali siya kung mali. eh ikaw? nasa tama ka ba? kung oo, may ginagawa ka ba parang maging tama ang mga mali? o nagbubulagbulagan ka tulad nang marami?

      in a democracy - the people get the government they deserve.  walang umaaksyon, edi sige, hayaan mong magnakaw ng magnakaw yang mga politiko. at least si Trillanes umaksyon.  mali nga lang. talo.

      again: everyone is entitled to his own opinion - here's mine.

    • Alberto Pamintuan
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007
        Actually, i asked Melody to start the thread. I warned her that if i did, mine won't be as articulate as everyone else's (hence my disclaimer). But i was itching to rant, so there. Hehe.

        Okay, he is brave. I'll give him that, but what he did is still wrong. Others have said that he had no choice, or that he  was desperate, or that he was pushed to a corner, that's why he did what he did. Whatever. Nothing justifies the means he used. Silly analogy: Robin Hood. True, he may be a hero. I watched the cartoons. He's brave, bold and likes wearing green tights. He still stole from the rich to give to the poor. Fact is, he still stole. Fine, the current administration may be corrupt, but there are other means.

        The only possible good thing about what he did is that he did something. What about people who think the system needs change? Have they done something?

        --
        "fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity."
      • marah querol
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007
          hahahaha tear gas pa lang sumuko na! sorry guys can't join you on the good senator being brave thing.

          twice he said walang atrasan at twice he surrendered. do you honestly think he has the gutts to die for he is fighting for, whatever that maybe.

          for those who want change please join the government, im not saying maging politiko kayo but be civil servants. madali kasi mag reklamo pero wala naman talaga gusto tumulong.

          change from the inside, join the government, para dumami matitino sa gobyerno natin.

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007
            oh you mean "a lot to be desired" about the current administration hehe

            On 11 30, 07, at 2:23 AM, Jayvee Salud wrote:

            Don't be Berts.  We all share the same sentiments.

            It may be true that there is little to be desired about the current administration.  But it does not justify the cowardly act of the 'senator'(small s intended) and his cohorts.  Shamelessly parading as a savior of the masses, Trillanes did not even appear to know what he was doing or what he wanted to say.  He looked lost and bewildered.  Worse still was his apparent cluelessness. His act of so-called defiance depended on the number of support he was hoping to get.  Too bad for him the people, whom he thought, he represented did not share his penchant for gradiose acts of cowardice.  If he was ready to die a martyr, he should not have surrendered.  A true revolutionary dies for his cause.  A true revolutionary does not rely on mass support to determine his fate, rather a true revolutionary galvanizes the masses for his cause.  Contrary to his belief, HE does not have what it takes.  He did not have the guts nor the intelligence to pull this off and I doubt if he ever will.

            Stop pretending to be a hero.  Stop living in your world of fantasy.  You will never be a Rizal or a Ninoy.

            Suicide is an Option.

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007
              I voted for Senator Trillanes because he was a rebel.
              I wanted to make sure there was a strong opposition in
              the Senate, someone to ensure that the system of
              checks and balance would, to a certain degree, still
              work. I voted for him knowing his alleged
              involvement in the infamous Oakwood Mutiny. I voted
              for him knowing how critical he is of the Arroyo
              administration.

              The events last Thursday met with a lot of criticisms.
              It seemed that the so many condemned what he did,
              and it is understandable. In law school, we are
              taught that respect for the rule of law is paramount
              (we must uphold the constitution and obey the laws of
              the land). For many then, it was unacceptable that a
              Senator, voted by millions of Filipinos, would choose
              a path that apparently disrespected the judiciary and
              the law.

              Nevertheless, I feel for the Senator. His recent
              acts were probably brought out by years of frustration
              and dissatisfaction. (Even if we don’t share his
              sentiments, if he feels it is his moral obligation,
              let him follow his own conscience.) I will not be one
              of those who condemn him for breaking the law but
              maybe only that he failed to lead a successful
              “revolution”. It has been said that one man’s rebel
              (or terrorist for that matter), is another’s freedom
              fighter. The 1987 Constitution itself that we accuse
              Senator Trillanes of violating was borne out of a
              murky history -- in that part of our history, the
              Filipinos lost faith in the arbiter of laws and we
              became witness to civil unrest and a new government
              created through extraconstitutional means. Coup d’
              etat, civil disobedience—Filipinos breaking the
              law--this is the backdrop of the 1987 Constitution.

              Last Thursday, I watched and waited. Like many
              Filipinos, I did not join the march for change and
              freedom. (Sabi nga ni Mara, nagrereklamo, wala namang
              ginagawa) I do not have the courage to involve myself
              with fights for change. I don’t want to join
              demonstrations where the police could drag, hit and
              harass me. I don’t want to go where there are bullets
              flying and tanks rolling. But, I admire Senator
              Trillanes for being brave enough to hope, to hope that
              he could succeed, even briefly. If he gave up after
              seven hours or so, and for whatever reasons, it was
              because he was a man and had all the frailties that
              made us human. I couldn’t give up even an hour of my
              middle class security where all I have to worry about
              is tomorrow’s report or what movies to watch or how
              much money I have saved. Some of us don’t even vote.
              Senator Trillanes may have been afraid for his life
              (tear gas burns your eyes and your throat, armored
              vehicles destroy a grand entrance) or that he realized
              the futility of the fight he was fighting (but then
              again, retreat doesn’t always mean surrender). I
              secretly hope that there was wisdom or some other
              covert plan that we have yet to discover, a more
              profound reason why he marched with his head held high
              but ended up being roughly pushed to the bus, head
              first, wrists wounded for being cuffed too tightly.

              I remember the political ad of Gringo Honasan where
              his son told the story of how, one day, he realized
              that his father no longer belonged to their family but
              to the country. I think that people forget that
              being a “rebel” takes guts. They give up a lot. Rebels
              choose to fight for what they believe in over their
              own families and over their own personal comforts.
              Ambition? Fame and Glory? Is this what drives them to
              do what they do? Maybe. But then it didn’t seem like
              Trillanes wanted to be President(there were reports
              that they asked Chief Justice Puno to lead the
              caretaker government) but that he only wanted change,
              reform. (In fact, the opposition who didn't come out
              and openly support him are those with their political
              careers and ambition to think about.) Even if it were
              for fame or ambition, it is a gamble, the price of
              which they were willing to pay where others wouldn’t.
              Some call it lunacy. The desire for change may have
              become a dangerous obsession because why else would
              someone give up living a comfortable life for the
              almost absolute certainty of jail? Why would they
              just choose being fugitives when they could enjoy the
              fruits of the so-called democracy that the rest accept
              without question?

              I may have voted for Senator Trillanes for the wrong
              reason. I voted in him because I believed in him as a
              man. He was probably not meant to be a Senator. For
              breaking the law, he deserves to go to jail (which I’m
              quite sure he is ready for). True heroes are not
              afraid of being imprisoned for the rest of their
              lives, they will not throw away all their principles
              in exchange for pardon. True heroes continue
              fighting. True heroes won’t be afraid to die. I
              still believe in him. Maybe, he gave up last Thursday
              because he thought it wise to lose a battle in order
              to continue waging the war. Maybe, my need for
              heroes makes me see him to be more than what he really
              is. Maybe. Whatever reasons he may have, still, he
              chose a path less taken. I accept my own frailties,
              and I admire revolutionaries because I have tried
              putting myself in their shoes and I fell short.
              People like me, who derive some semblance of comfort
              in the status quo, make change hard. I need people
              like him, people who would fight for me, and for what
              I believe in, because I couldn’t. I admit to being
              selfish, to being weak. For now, I want to finish law
              school. Maybe, in the future, I would have the same
              courage they have. Maybe. But like the rest of the
              Filipinos, life, for me, goes on.

              --- marah querol <marahquerol@...> wrote:

              > hahahaha tear gas pa lang sumuko na! sorry guys
              > can't join you on the good senator being brave
              > thing.
              >
              > twice he said walang atrasan at twice he
              > surrendered. do you honestly think he has the gutts
              > to die for he is fighting for, whatever that maybe.
              >
              > for those who want change please join the
              > government, im not saying maging politiko kayo but
              > be civil servants. madali kasi mag reklamo pero wala
              > naman talaga gusto tumulong.
              >
              > change from the inside, join the government, para
              > dumami matitino sa gobyerno natin.

              0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              > margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              > -->
              >

              > <!--
              >
              > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,
              > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
              > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
              > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
              > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              > #ygrp-text{
              > font-family:Georgia;
              > }
              > #ygrp-text p{
              > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              > font-family:Arial;
              > clear:both;}
              > #ygrp-vitnav{

              > #ygrp-vitnav a{
              > padding:0 1px;}
              > #ygrp-actbar{
              > clear:both;margin:25px
              > 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}
              > #ygrp-actbar .left{
              > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              > #ygrp-grft{
              > #ygrp-ft{
              > font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
              > solid #666;
              > padding:5px 0;
              > }
              > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              > padding-bottom:10px;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital{

              background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px

              === message truncated ===

              Make Yahoo! your homepage.
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Philip Closa
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 1, 2007

                we have been looking at what Trillanes did. I agree with Jv that history is written by the victor..Imagine if EDSA 1 did not succeed and we're still under the Marcos regime, history will see what happen in Edsa as a rebellion, a failed attempt to overthrow the government....

                pero I was watching the news and saw ces drilon talking/interviewing the lawyer/spokesperson of Trillanes..He was saying that this is a peaceful demonstration, Trillanes was doing this to show the injustice this government caused to his 11 million voters and the way the government treat the reporters inside the hotel (teargas or bringing them for questioning) is another government abuse of its power and curtailment of press freedom...I know I'm not yet a lawyer but I don't agree with how he use/interpret the law to defend his "client's" actions..alam ko lalabas ang pagka-naive ko pero the law is not made/created to cause "chaos"...

                Also, di ba we learn in ethics na one of the duty of the lawyer is not to abet, aid or even advice his client to act contrary to law..So, ano ang ginawa nung lawyer dun? he should have talked to them of another way to show his cause....Hindi tayo sunod-sunuran sa sinasabi ng client natin...Yes, lumalabas ang pagka-naive ko and I don't care kung yun na ang isipin nyo sa akin..pero I still believe in our role as lawyers.... I wanted to become a lawyer to help those who cannnot defend themselves..Uphold the law...Do what is right....I know di ako perfect pero it is the only thing that makes me still believe in continuing my studies....

                anyway, yun lang po ang naiisip ko sa lahat-lahat na ito...it's nice to see na di lang puro aral ang nasa isipan natin..

                hoping for resolution.....

                " I would like to see my own ignorance wither into enlightenment "

                Nakakahiya. I don't care if this comment backfires or if i get hate messages. BUT COMMON, STOP THE DRAMATICS! Stop using the "Holy Man" Card. Stop using the "Cancer" Card. Thank you to all those who voted for Trillanes just because he's anti-GMA. Galing talaga, ang galing.

                Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.

                Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.

              • frederick dino
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Hi . You don’t know me, I probably don’t know any of you either except a few. I just wanna share my thoughts. Sabi nga ni Ipe Closa, “freedom of speech”.
                  I respect everyone’s opinion. We are entitled to that, but I have to hold with Dr. Ivy. We are all living witnesses to the events that transpired since the end of the Marcos Regime up to the present. This is my opinion so please don’t hate me for this, THIS IS THE WORST ADMINISTRATION EVER! We all want change, we want reform, Trillanes desires change and reform, we should not blame him if circumstances do not allow him the means to effect change and reform, circumstances which was brought to him by the same government who accused him of rebellion, a government which we all know is corrupt, a government who’s very legitimacy is shrouded in question and doubt.
                  I believe that everyone is responsible for their acts, and I agree that Trillanes must face the consequences of his act…because he did not emerge victorious in his coup, but my friends, as he said, this is not the end, and I believe this government has not seen the end of the likes of Trillanes. Yes , he broke the law, yes, what he did was wrong, call him whatever you want but morally speaking, did he really do something wrong? How about cheating the elections? Bribing politicians? I won’t mention anymore but I’m sure you know all of it, you’re law students.
                  The failure of his coup in Manila Pen is not a surrender to the abuse and corrupt practices of the government, but merely a retreat to fight another day. It is not surprising since even the greatest of heroes resorted to retreat as a means to achieve victory. A victory which is so difficult to achieve because this government is so damn learned about the mistakes of presidents who were ousted through people power. What mistake? They were afraid to kill people and had let people  assemble into a large number, large enough not to be ignored.  If you hadn’t noticed, when Trillanes’ coup started, Malacañang ordered the military to block all en try points in and out or Metro Manila, but how do you quell incoming coup support? Voila! CURFEW! A move which will prevent the assembly of “anti-gloria” parties. I admire the cunning of the administration to be able to think of this, as they say, “only a thief knows the mind of a thief”. A coup in order to be successful to say the least, must have the support of a lot of people and most importantly, the military. Meaning, the military should withdraw support from the government , this my friends, have been the common factor of ousted presidents. A factor which  I think is a hard thing to achieve. This administration is very successful in smothering the generals with wealth and government positions that they fail to notice that all they do is protect these villains then scramble for the scraps of Malacañang. The real meat is used to enrich themselves and buy political allies at the expense of the Nation’s coffers.
                  If there is something to be learned about what happened in Manila Pen, is that this government is not afraid to “waste” anyone who will stand against it. Not to mention the abuses to the press. An act which I think they have been very fond of doing these days of late. I believe, the true reason why Trillanes gave up is because he saw that should he die right there and then,  his sacrifice would mean little as this government is so good at suppression. So until that day comes when the courage of men inspires them to stand against “power-grabbers” I believe we will see more of this.  It is evident that the Gloria administration is very afraid of the people, why? Simple, they have committed countless “sins” against them and the laws of the country as well. Why else would they not clear out their names through lawful processes? Instead of defending themselves through venues of law, they bribe as many legislators as they can to trash and even toy with impeachment and they are very good with covering up issues. I’s sure you all know what I mean.
                  I am a Filipino and this is my Government...and I am not proud of it.

                • francisco verzosa