1243Re: [at-golden-packet] Digest Number 195

  • radio nn4qq
    Mar 10, 2014
      I'm out this year, so someone will need to cover Springer 73 /JL NN4QQ

      On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:48 AM, <at-golden-packet@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      7 Messages

      Digest #195
      1a
      Re: Can we skip Greylock in 2014? by "Robert Bruninga" wb4apr
      1b
      Re: Can we skip Greylock in 2014? by "Robert Bruninga" wb4apr
      1c
      Re: Can we skip Greylock in 2014? by "LARRY J. FORD" lford1951
      1d
      Re: Can we skip Greylock in 2014? by "LARRY J. FORD" lford1951
      1f
      Re: Can we skip Greylock in 2014? by "John Huggins" jhuggins64

      Messages

      Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:19 am (PST) . Posted by:

      "Robert Bruninga" wb4apr

      Sounds like you are the first to get the ball rolling!
      Ill put you down for Clingmans.
      And I'm a go for GD Hill in PA.

      Ive started a sign up list on the main page:
      http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

      Bob

      From: John Huggins <john.huggins.ee@gmail.com>
      To: at-golden-packet <at-golden-packet@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [at-golden-packet] Can we skip Greylock in 2014?

      > All,
      >
      > Have a look at this link map...
      >
      > http://www.hamradio.me/events/AT_Golden_Packet_Event/
      >
      > From what I recall from 2013 reports, Station 12, Mount Equinox, heard
      > Station 13, Mount Washington, and Station 10, Sam's Point.
      >
      > If this is really true, can we skip Mount Greylock and maybe get one
      > more hop potential at either end of the APRS chain?
      >
      > John

      ------------------------------------

      Yahoo Groups Links

      Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:31 am (PST) . Posted by:

      "Robert Bruninga" wb4apr

      I do not recall any conclusion that it was solid around Greylock. There
      were enough problems and issues at various sites, I don't think I ever got
      a good picture of how the Northeast links worked. There is a big
      difference between "haring" and reliably working. I'd prefer to have every
      mountain manned and if packets are heard around any one mountain then a
      packet will arrive at the end with one less hop. That is good, but we
      shold not plan on it. Though it is fine to extend beyond Katahdyn and
      Springer, but Katahdyn cannot shoot both ways but ffrom the very top, and
      after an all day climb starting at 0-dark-30, even if he does have a DIGI
      HT, it wont be on long.

      I do hope that we can get Stone Moutain on the end this year if we can get
      Springer with a high enough antenna to see both ways.

      Bob

      From: Robert Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu>
      To: at-golden-packet@yahoogroups.comCc: bruninga@usna.edu

      > I do not recall any conclusion that it was solid around Greylock. There
      > were enough problems and issues at various sites, I don't think I ever got
      > a good picture of how the Northeast links worked. There is a big
      > difference between "haring" and reliably working. I'd prefer to have every
      > mountain manned and if packets are heard around any one mountain then a
      > packet will arrive at the end with one less hop. That is good, but we
      > shold not plan on it. Though it is fine to extend beyond Katahdyn and
      > Springer, but Katahdyn cannot shoot both ways but ffrom the very top, and
      > after an all day climb starting at 0-dark-30, even if he does have a DIGI
      > HT, it wont be on long.
      >

      > I do hope that we can get Stone Moutain on the end this year if we can get
      > Springer with a high enough antenna to see both ways.
      >

      > Bob

      Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:42 am (PST) . Posted by:

      "LARRY J. FORD" lford1951

      What's the date?

      Any thoughts of moving the date? Down here in the South, a mid-July date (as
      in 2013) is at risk for TS activity, especially in the afternoon, as we
      encountered in 2013; however, I understand that much earlier or later in the
      year runs into bad weather conditions at the far northern end of the Trail.

      Larry J. Ford
      K4AEC (ex KG4GPJ)

      > Sounds like you are the first to get the ball rolling!
      > Ill put you down for Clingmans.
      > And I'm a go for GD Hill in PA.
      >
      > Ive started a sign up list on the main page:
      > http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
      >
      > Bob

      Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 pm (PST) . Posted by:

      kb1tji

      Hello John and Group:

      You had (and have) a team from Massachusetts that was willing and able to go to Mt Greylock and man that station for the AT Golden Packet event. While I don't recall the Mt Equinox station being able to make contact with Sams Point, if you want to eliminate the Mt Greylock station, I guess you can just let us know.

      Either way, some plans are underway for us to travel to Mt Greylock early and evaluate station locations using 50W radios and 6bd gain vertical antennas to establish the feasibility of making contact with Mt Washington from Mt Greylock (as well as Sams Point) for voice and packet relay. We'll update if/when this test session occurs.

      Thanks,
      --
      Jeff Marden
      KB1TJI

      Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:14 pm (PST) . Posted by:

      "John Huggins" jhuggins64

      On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM, <jmardensdl@netscape.net> wrote:

      > Hello John and Group:
      >
      > You had (and have) a team from Massachusetts that was willing and able to
      > go to Mt Greylock and man that station for the AT Golden Packet event.
      > While I don't recall the Mt Equinox station being able to make contact with
      > Sams Point, if you want to eliminate the Mt Greylock station, I guess you
      > can just let us know.

      As Bob said earlier every peak should be manned as in the past so thanks
      once again for volunteering.

      We will all have to dig trough the logs to see what worked in 2013.

      > Either way, some plans are underway for us to travel to Mt Greylock early
      > and evaluate station locations using 50W radios and 6bd gain vertical
      > antennas to establish the feasibility of making contact with Mt Washington
      > from Mt Greylock (as well as Sams Point) for voice and packet relay. We'll
      > update if/when this test session occurs.

      I can understand the difficulty of establishing a link between Greylock-11
      and MtWash-13. Did you have any trouble between Greylock-11 and SamPt-10?
      The brief Equinox log suggests you heard Sam's Point a few times.

      Ideally Station 12 would be a more equidistant between 11 and 13, but we
      take what we can get. Station 12 has frequently been the long pole in our
      tent.

      The addition of Equinox as 12 seems to have solidified our chain. It was
      able to hear Mt Wash-13 direct quite well and Sam's Point-10 at least a
      little and MtGreylock-11 often. Unfortunately the logging computer stopped
      recording before 1 pm so we don't know what happened after that.

      Assuming we have Equinox-12 manned again this year, perhaps Greylock should
      deploy to support these two links...

      http://www.hamradio.me/events/AT_Golden_Packet_Event/details/Link_10-11.kml

      http://www.hamradio.me/events/AT_Golden_Packet_Event/details/Link_11-12.kml

      ...rather than attempt a difficult link with the far away RF soaked
      desensed Mt. Wash-13. That doesn't suggest your forthcoming Greylock to
      MtWash test is not worth the trip. It definitely is. We all will be eager
      to hear the results and bravo to you for suggesting such a test well before
      ATGP game day.

      All options are on the table at the moment.

      John

      Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 pm (PST) . Posted by:

      "Don Rolph" donrolph@...

      Walpole Emergency Communications Association would be interested in manning
      a station at Greylock again.

      We have an D-710A with some high gain verticals.

      It was fun last year!!

      73,
      AB1PH
      Don Rolph