1239Re: [at-golden-packet] RE: Can we skip Greylock in 2014?

  • John Huggins
    Feb 25 1:14 PM
      On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM, <jmardensdl@...> wrote:

      Hello John and Group:

      You had (and have) a team from Massachusetts that was willing and able to go to Mt Greylock and man that station for the AT Golden Packet event. While I don't recall the Mt Equinox station being able to make contact with Sams Point, if you want to eliminate the Mt Greylock station, I guess you can just let us know.

      As Bob said earlier every peak should be manned as in the past so thanks once again for volunteering.

      We will all have to dig trough the logs to see what worked in 2013.

      Either way, some plans are underway for us to travel to Mt Greylock early and evaluate station locations using 50W radios and 6bd gain vertical antennas to establish the feasibility of making contact with Mt Washington from Mt Greylock (as well as Sams Point) for voice and  packet relay. We'll update if/when this test session occurs.

      I can understand the difficulty of establishing a link between Greylock-11 and MtWash-13.  Did you have any trouble between Greylock-11 and SamPt-10?  The brief Equinox log suggests you heard Sam's Point a few times.

      Ideally Station 12 would be a more equidistant between 11 and 13, but we take what we can get.  Station 12 has frequently been the long pole in our tent.

      The addition of Equinox as 12 seems to have solidified our chain.  It was able to hear Mt Wash-13 direct quite well and Sam's Point-10 at least a little and MtGreylock-11 often.  Unfortunately the logging computer stopped recording before 1 pm so we don't know what happened after that.

      Assuming we have Equinox-12 manned again this year, perhaps Greylock should deploy to support these two links...
      ...rather than attempt a difficult link with the far away RF soaked desensed Mt. Wash-13.  That doesn't suggest your forthcoming Greylock to MtWash test is not worth the trip.  It definitely is.  We all will be eager to hear the results and bravo to you for suggesting such a test well before ATGP game day.

      All options are on the table at the moment.

      John

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic