Re: [Astrolrner@CAE] Re: Any FLIR Lab Exercises?

  • pendzick@zoominternet.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 24, 2012

      Even thought "transistion" eye glasses are designed to change and block UV wonder what changes the FLIR camera would show in the IR as the lens changed?

      Robert Pendzick

      On Mon 07/23/12 10:15 AM , Douglas K Duncan dduncan@... sent:

      I'm sure you would do this, but just to be safe:
      With adults we use the big plastic trash bag,
      with kids we have cut it to be just a big plastic sheet.
      Some people get nervous when you put kids
      inside a plastic bag (I do!).

      We have a mid IT-camera mounted in our exhibit hall.
      We leave out various objects including clear plastic and
      a bucket of ice cubes or ice packs, with instructions for
      visitors to experiment. Drawing "mustaches" with
      ice is a favorite.

      Our camera allows choice of colors or black and white
      to represent the mid-IR wavelengths. Although
      color looks cool, it is much easier for people to
      understand black and white: the brighter the image
      the more IR or heat being given off.

      Dr. Douglas Duncan
      Department of Astrophysical & Planetary Sciences
      University of Colorado, UCB 391
      Boulder, CO 80309
      303-735-6141

    • Stanford, Darryl
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 26, 2012
        Robert,
        That's a good idea.  I even have a Herschel thermometer setup and I can play around with different backgrounds and use the FLIR camera to characterize them.  With all of these great ideas from all of you, I can put together a nice Astro 101 lab for the fall.

        Darryl

        From: Robet Pendzick <pendzick@...>
        Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 08:00:05 -0700
        To: "astrolrner@yahoogroups.com" <astrolrner@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: RE: [Astrolrner@CAE] Any FLIR Lab Exercises?

        Darryl,

        Wonder if you could do a spectrum of the sun and ‘see’ the differences in heating due to the separation of wavelength finding  the IR regions.  Know this can be done with thermometers (Herschel experiment)  but you  need to experiment with the screen the spectrum is  projected on.  Conduction there would average out the heating.

        Robert Pendzick

        I just purchased a FLIR IR camera, model E30 for $2500 to show my classes the wonders of IR. Students wearing eyeglasses saw how 'cool' they looked and other students, holding a cold can of juice saw how cold their hands became. They really loved it. I did a few other demos, but I'm wondering if anyone has any really cool demos or even lab exercises, that they can share? I would like to use this camera as the basis of a lab. My average lab size is ~ 40 students.

        Darryl Stanford
        College of San Mateo

      • Alexander L. Rudolph
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 26, 2012