Re: [Astrolrner@CAE] An REU Program for Community College Students

  • Robert Warasila - SCCC
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
      The Department of Energy has run a similar program for about 10 years.   Unfortunately the application deadline closed 1/10.

      Bob Warasila

      Prof. of Physics & Astronomy (ret)
       SCCC

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
        Good news.

        There is another REU in the Los Angeles area which supports mostly community students, the PI is at Los Angeles City College and many intern at JPL.  Kudos to NSF for an outreach to an important segment of higher education.

        --
        Rich Alvidrez
        JPL Program Coordinator

      • David Wittman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
          I wouldn't discourage CC students from applying to any other REU program either.  Although the ratio of applications to research slots is ridiculously large (20:1 here this year), REU programs are supposed to benefit those who wouldn't normally have research opportunities, so we give them a bump up in the selection process.  It especially helps if they apply to an REU program at a university they might transfer to.

          On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Alvidrez, Richard F (1854) <Richard.F.Alvidrez@...> wrote:

          Good news.

          There is another REU in the Los Angeles area which supports mostly community students, the PI is at Los Angeles City College and many intern at JPL.  Kudos to NSF for an outreach to an important segment of higher education.

          --
          Rich Alvidrez
          JPL Program Coordinator
          Consortium for Undergraduate Research Experiences (CURE)
          JPL Education Office

          --
          David Wittman
          Associate Professor
          Department of Physics
          University of California, Davis
        • kukulkan
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2012
            Hi all,

            I am looking for programs in Masters Astronomy Education anywhere in the Europe, US and Australasia region. I am looking for options so I have been contacting several universities in those regions.

            I have a bachelor degree in electrical engineering(computer) and I worked as a Network Security Engineer from 2000-2006. Since 2006 I joined an almost-closed-down planetarium in my city(a city in Malaysia). I (and my friends of course) managed to revived the small planetarium.

            I don't mind the lower(compare to as a network security engineer) pay as  I found a mesmerizing joy in educating our new generations to love the universe. Since that year too, me and my team have organized a lot of programs throughout the rural ideas.

            After 6 years, the government is very keen to our planetarium mission and vision and have agreed to send me to go for masters degree in astronomy education. I would love if anybody could propose me a good place. I have ask a lecturer from JCU,AU but the program was closed due to the lck of participation.

            Please help to advice.

            Thanks in advance