Physics learning list?

  • vera.margoniner
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2011
      Does anyone knows if there is a similar discussion group on the topic of physics education? Thanks!
      Vera
    • Janelle M. Bailey
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2011
        There are four that might be of interest. Physlrnr is for physics education
        research, while phys-l is focused more on teaching aspects. This separation
        is a bit different than what is here on astrolrner (where both discussions
        occur regularly), so something to be aware of. Tap-l focuses on labs, demos,
        etc, while physhare is aimed at high school level.

        See http://www.ncsu.edu/per/lists.html for information on all four and how
        to subscribe.

        Janelle

        Janelle M. Bailey, Ph.D.
        Assistant Professor of Science Education
        University of Nevada, Las Vegas

        Office: CEB 360A
        702-895-4756 office
        702-513-8763 mobile
        702-895-4898 fax

        Department of Curriculum & Instruction
        4505 S Maryland Pkwy, Box 453005
        Las Vegas, NV 89154-3005

        From: vera.margoniner
        Subject: [Astrolrner@CAE] Physics learning list?

        Does anyone knows if there is a similar discussion group on the topic of
        physics education? Thanks!
      • Christopher Sirola
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2011
          Hi, Vera. Yes there is - through the AAPT (American Association of Physics Teachers). They have a list I belong to regarding teacher preparation. Another organization is PTEC (Physics Teacher Education Coalition).

          Chris Sirola
          Southern Miss

          ________________________________
          From: vera.margoniner

          Does anyone knows if there is a similar discussion group on the topic of
          physics education? Thanks!
        • Michael Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2011
            On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 05:43:13PM +0000, vera.margoniner wrote:
            > Does anyone knows if there is a similar discussion group on the topic
            > of physics education? Thanks! Vera

            PHYSLRNR: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/physlrnr.html

            -- Mike
          • Christopher J. Wood
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2011
              Interesting... 3 replies and 7 different answers. It would be nice if there was a single "go to" group for Physics Teaching and another one for Physics Education Research. Even better would be a single portal like what we have here with AstroLrner. I'm all for variety and multiple outlets, but I'm more for fewer, and more comprehensive, sources of information.

              Christopher J. Wood
              Instructor
              Physics/Astronomy
              Schoolcraft College

              Message 6 of 10 , May 18, 2011
                Along a similar line of thought...is there a good resource as the first
                place to start with adding interactive learning into intro Physics courses?
                Something similar to the Slater & Adams book for Astro 101, but for
                Physics? Basically, where should I point my physics colleagues?

                Thanks,
                kelle

                --
                Kelle Cruz, PhD — http://kellecruz.com/
                917.725.1334 — Hunter ext: 16486 — AMNH ext: 3404

                On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:32 AM, Christopher J. Wood
                <cwood@...>wrote:
                > Interesting... 3 replies and 7 different answers. It would be nice if there
                > was a single "go to" group for Physics Teaching and another one for Physics
                > Education Research. Even better would be a single portal like what we have
                > here with AstroLrner. I'm all for variety and multiple outlets, but I'm more
                > for fewer, and more comprehensive, sources of information.
                >
                > Christopher J. Wood
                > Instructor
                > Physics/Astronomy
                > Schoolcraft College

              • Colin S Wallace
                Message 7 of 10 , May 18, 2011
                  I recommend "Teaching Physics with the Physics Suite" by Edward F. Redish.

                  Colin Wallace

                  Along a similar line of thought...is there a good resource as the first place to start with adding interactive learning into intro Physics courses? Something similar to the Slater & Adams book for Astro 101, but for Physics? Basically, where should I point my physics colleagues?
                • David Wittman
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 18, 2011
                    Five Easy Lessons: Strategies for Successful Physics Teaching
                    by Randall D. Knight is a really good book. If I recall correctly,
                    it has only a few pages near the beginning which really talk
                    about PER, but the rest of the book really follows from that.
                    And it may be a good thing to have a *short* summary of
                    PER handy.

                    --
                    David Wittman
                    Associate Professor

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 23, 2011
                      I've been working on a set of physics activities (two semester's worth, from mechanics to into atomic physics) for a few years now. Unfortunately, I can't get a publisher interested, because I haven't been able to convince our department of the need, and without a guaranteed audience, publisher's won't commit.

                      Chris Sirola
                      Southern Miss

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 26, 2011
                        Try Eric Mazur's Peer Instruction book and his Interactive Teaching DVD (available from Pearson).

                        http://mazur.harvard.edu/education/pi_manual.php

                        http://www.pearsoned.co.uk/bookshop/detail.asp?item=100000000245410

                        Cheers,

                        - Magdalen.