idea for theme course: satellite watching

  • heafnerj@vnet.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2001
      Good morning.

      Back in the spring, I decided to make my one-semester descriptive
      astro a theme course, with a different theme each time it's taught.
      For the fall, I've decided to build the course around naked eye
      astronomy. To start the semester off, I've also decided to present a
      rather lengthy survey of satellite watching. All the basics are there:
      elementary knowledge of the celestial sphere, orienting one's self to
      the sky, time, planning, observing, and more. Telescopes will be
      included too because I have two LX-200 telescopes (mine and the
      school's) which are computer controlled and with special software
      available from the Internet, can be used to automatically track
      satellites.

      I've done this very informally on a couple of occasions before with
      tremendous success and interest on the part of the students.

      I had originally intended to build the course around the CLEA suite of
      computer-based labs, but that may be too much for a descriptive class.

      Has anyone done anything like this before?

      Joe Heafner
    • Amir Bernat
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hi.
        IMHO there are tow great things to look at while looking at satalits, one is
        spinnig satalites where you can see the way light is reflected from the sun
        panals in different angels, so you see it brighten up and down! enother
        thing is the "cluster spy satalits" where you can see 3-4 stalatits close to
        each other, also a preaty site.

        p.s. do you know the "university phisics" book?

        Amir

        Some may scoff at the hobby of astronomy, but sitting
        in an empty field in the middle of winter is a great way to see tiny
        little dots.

        a 10" dob, maede 10X50.
        mack shure speling is poor!!!!
        the astronomy-israel group: