FW: invitation to Teaching the Process of Science workshop, July 14-16

  • Speck, Angela
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 11:47 AM

      I thought there might be some astrolrnr people interested in this…

      From: Anne Egger [mailto:annegger@...]

      We are writing to invite you to participate in a workshop focused on teaching the nature and process of science taking place July 14-16, 2009, at Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota.

      The workshop will bring together college faculty and high school teachers from all STEM disciplines and educational researchers studying teaching and learning about the nature and process of science. Participants will share exemplary classroom and laboratory activities, examine existing research on misconceptions, and explore strategies for integrating the nature and process of science into courses. In addition, you will help to develop an online collection of resources and teaching materials related to the integration of process and content in the science classroom at all levels.

      Room, board, and workshop materials are provided for all participants. Participants or their home institutions must provide transportation to and from the workshop. In cases of unusual hardship, we will be able to offer a few small stipends to help defray travel costs; for more information about travel funds, please contact the workshop conveners.

      This workshop is part of the activities of Visionlearning and Pedagogy in Action. You can find out more information about it, including an overview and program, here: http://serc.carleton.edu/sp/process_of_science/workshop09/index.html

      Please let us know as soon as you can if you will be able to join us. You can RSVP by replying to this email and/or by filling out the workshop application, available here:
      http://serc.carleton.edu/sp/process_of_science/workshop09/application.html
      If you cannot join us, we would appreciate your suggestions for others to invite.

      We look forward to hearing from you, and hope you are able to join us this summer. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

      Sincerely,
      Anne E. Egger, Stanford University
      Cathy Manduca, Carleton College
      Anthony Carpi, John Jay College, City University of New York
      Workshop Conveners

      --
      Anne E. Egger
      Undergraduate Program Coordinator