RE: [Astrolrner@CAE] any one have experience with a text for future science teachers?

  • gillespie_brack
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
      Jatila,
      I am familiar with the book, it is a good resource. My only gig on the text you mention is its specificity which may well prove valuable to your students. Two that I would recommend looking at would be "Tips for the Science Teacher" by Hartman and Glasgow and "Teaching Science in the 21st Century" from NSTA. Both are great resources that I've looked to on numerous occasions.

      Good luck,
      Brack

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
        Thanks very much!

        best,
        Jatila
        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

      • McDaid, Liam
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
          Dear Everybody,

          I have just been hired as an assistant professor at Purdue University, the
          Calumet Campus, 50% in the department of Education and 50% in the
          department of Physics/Astronomy/ Chemistry. I will be teaching the methods
          courses for secondary science teachers, as well as physics and astronomy
          for undergrads, and continuing my work with Planck as my research project.

              Way to go Jatila!

          Liam McDaid
          Astronomy Coordinator & Professor of Astronomy
          Sacramento City College
          3835 Freeport Blvd.
          Sacramento, CA 95822
          (916) 558-2005

          mcdaidl@...

        • argote@yorku.ca
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19, 2008
            Hi Jatila,

            Perhaps the book I'll mention below is a bit too high up for secondary courses
            (note that it is for Physics Teaching, and more focused on introductory college
            courses), but science teachers may find interesting resources and tips in it:

            "Five Easy Lessons. Strategies for Successful Physics Teaching".
            Randall D. Knight
            Addison Wesley

            More than a textbook, I would take it as a resource-book.

            My 2 cents,

            Mauricio Argote-Cortes

            Quoting Jatila van der Veen <jatila@...>:

            > Dear Everybody,
            >
            > I have just been hired as an assistant professor at Purdue University, the
            > Calumet Campus, 50% in the department of Education and 50% in the
            > department of Physics/Astronomy/Chemistry. I will be teaching the methods
            > courses for secondary science teachers, as well as physics and astronomy
            > for undergrads, and continuing my work with Planck as my research project.
            >
            > The dean of education told me that last year when he taught the science
            > methods course, he used the textbook Teaching Secondary School Science:
            > Strategies for Developing Scientific Literacy by Rodger W. Bybee, Janet
            > Carlson Powell, and Leslie W. Trowbridge.
            >
            > I'm personally in favor of using a reader of articles of my own choosing,
            > and I have MANY from which to choose, but I'm wondering if anyone in this
            > group is familiar with this book, has opinions on it, or can recommend
            > another.
            >
            > Thank you in advance for your opinions and advice!
            >
            > Best,
            > Jatila
            >
            > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
            > Jatila van der Veen, Ph.D.
            > Lubin Group, 2225 Broida Hall
            > Department of Physics
            > University of California, Santa Barbara
            > Santa Barbara, CA 93106
            >
            > www.physics.ucsb.edu/~jatila
            > 805-893-8418 (lab)
            > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

          • Stephanie J Slater
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 17, 2008

              Hi Jatilla,

              I think that the text that you use should be determined by what you intend to do in your methods course.

              The book that you mention: Teaching Secondary School Science:  Strategies for Developing Scientific Literacy by Bybee, Powell, and Trowbridge is excellent.  Bybee, Powell, and Trowbridge are sort of like a Dream Team in inquiry instruction.    It might be the best written and most complete sci.methods book on the market.  However, I think that it covers a great deal, that you can’t cover it all, and attempting  to cover it all might result in a mile wide/inch deep experience.  You’d need to choose from the text based upon what your goals are for the course.

              If our case is interesting:  In our methods course we’re only trying to get across two points:

              1)      Inquiry:   a content area to study and  a process to engage in

              2)      Teaching for understanding in science:  How does one move from the Big Ideas to worthy goals to assessments to learning experiences.

              For the inquiry piece we are going to use the NRC’s Inquiry and the National Science Education Standards: A Guide for Teaching and Learning (2000) (which Bybee also worked on.)

               And we’re going to actually do a bunch of inquiry experiences, as our research has indicated that most science majors,pre-service teachers (and many methods instructors!)  don’t know how to do inquiry themselves, making it pretty tough for them to teach it, no?  The text for that is a chapter we recently had accepted in the JGeosciEd special edition for Pre-Service Teacher Ed:  “Impact of Backwards Faded Scaffolding in an Astronony Course for Pre-service Elementary Teachers Based on Inquiry.”  Here at UWyo we’re not working with PS Elem. Ed. but the ideas still apply.

              To guide them to teach for understanding we’re using Understanding by Design,  2nd Edition (2005) by Wiggins & McTighe.  It’s “The Word” on backwards design.  We’re also using UbD as the backbone of our professional development model.  We’re hoping that means that our student teachers might see it enacted in the classrooms of the teachers that they work with.  Converging experiences--one can always hope!

              If you decide to go with this text, please let us know how you use it and how it goes, so that we can work more of it into our courses.  At the risk of  engaging in really public idol worship, Bybee is kind of The Dude in sci ed, and a cool guy, so I think that exposing students to his work is a very good thing.

              Cheers!

              Stephanie

              Stephanie J. Slater

              Assistant Professor

              University of Wyoming

              Cognition in Astronomy, Physics and Earth science Research (CAPER) Team

              Science Math Teaching Center

              1000 E. University Ave.

              Laramie, WY 82071

              (520)975-3826