RE: [Astrolrner@CAE] Teaching Astronomy Blogs

  • McDaid, Liam
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007

                  Dave,

                  What if one is not permitted to remodel the foundations?  I know this sounds absurd now, but education in astronomy will be big enough in the next few years – primarily because that’s where major future tax-supported funding growth lies – to attract people who are (shall we say) less than polite.  Moderation will come in or be seen as needed, and people will inevitably be excluded.  Then what?  As for showcasing ourselves, who are we showcasing to?  The wider astronomical community?  Ourselves?  Our tenure committees?

                  I would like to see a thousand flowers bloom, and unlike Mao, leave them be.  I can’t see how multiple blogs detracts from our goals.  It’s not like this is about creating a lobbying group in DC, is it?

      Liam McDaid
      Astronomy Coordinator & Professor of Astronomy
      Sacramento City College
      3835 Freeport Blvd.
      Sacramento, CA 95822
      (916) 558-2005