Concept extension questions

  • Michael Zeilik
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 1999
      Dear Astrolrners:

      I have a perplexing issue that has grabbed me for the past few weeks. I
      have multiple-choice quizzes for my large class. During the past 5 years
      I have developed three levels of questions: recall, concept application,
      and concept extension, with concept extension splitting into "near
      transfer" and "far transfer". I consistently get results in all class
      averages that "recall" gets 75% correct, "application" gets about 70%
      correct, "near transfer" about the same, and "far transfer" only 50%.
      These are team scores, after people discuss the quiz items in their
      learning teams.

      I have no idea how to baseline these results. Is 50% good for far
      transfer or even typical? (In far transfer, people need to apply a
      concept to a novel situation, one they have never seen in class or in
      the book).

      Your reactions are appreciated!

      Mike Zeilik