The Northeastern population may help the Delhi locals

  • Himendra Thakur
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2007

      Subject: The Northeastern population may help theDelhi locals

      No, Shantikam, we must not ignore it.

      Delhi is selected to be the capital of India , which is a vast country with different customs in different areas. If the boys and girls from the Northeast or their parents need a booklet on the "Security tips for Northeast Students/visitors in Delhi ", then Delhi disqualifies to be the capital ofIndia .

      Real national leaders love people as compatriots from any part of the country. Mahatma Gandhi gave his love to the Northeastern people in his famous article “Lovely Assam”. Contrarily, in 2007 Maneka Gandhi ridiculed people of the Northeast as dog-meat-eaters and in 1980 Indira Gandhi unleashed the army to rape women in Kamrup District which started the ULFA.

      Some local people of Delhi and their ilk have a wrong notion that they are “more” Indian than the people of the Northeast. The reverse is true. There are 130 bride-burning in the tiny state of Delhi every year (making Delhi the bride-burning-capital of the world), whereas the number of bride-burning is ZERO in Arunachal, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Sikkim. If respect to women is an indicator of civilization, the Northeast is at the top, and Delhi at the bottom. Do you know how they burn a bride? If her father is behind in paying the endless dowry installments, someone throws a bucket of kerosene on the new daughter-in-law and someone throws a burning match, and the victim turns into a ball of fire. A visit to the burn-center of any hospital in Delhi will tell you about the “high civilization” of Delhi locals. In fact, the people from the Northeast may publish a “Security Tips for Women in Delhi ” ---- because women move freely without any fear in the Northeast, something unimaginable in Delhi .

      I appeal to my brothers and sisters of the Northeast not to lose their self-confidence. India is proud of their strong character, honesty, magnanimity and bravery. Forgiveness being the ornament of the brave, the Northeastern population may help the Delhi locals to improve their character, expel corruption, understand magnanimity, overcome cowardice, and build a new India with Delhi as the starting point.

      With love to everybody,

      Himendra

      July 16, 2007

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 16, 2007
        I think this Robin Hibu is being silly. Who should decide whether bambo shoot and akhuni are 'smelly' or aromatic? North Indians too eat and sell spices all over the world which is not always appealing to others in the neighborhood. During one of my visits to Brussels, I remember one of its lanes where Indians sold spices and played bhajans in their music system in their shops. So, should they also close down their spice shops and stop playing the bhajans just because they live in Brussels and the neighborhood may not particularly like the 'smell' of their area?

        It's right, one's freedom stops where the other's begin. But, food habit is part of a culture and you can not tailor-make your culture to suit someone else's taste.

        And Hibu is talking about whats cooking in your small kitchenette and not in the community hall or langar kitchen.

        Rajni
      • Keshav Das
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2007
          Volatile sentiments are detrimental for development. I have observed that Assamese as a community can react into this type of issues with emotions. It reflects an attitude of protectionism and identity crisis.

          I wonder, if similar type of ‘social campaign’ and consciousness could have been developed against the weak governance/rampant corruption/social unrest of Assam as well as making an effort to build ‘a good civil society with good leaders’; Assam (and the NE) could not have faced the current problems.

          I agree with Shantikam Hazarika Sir, ‘avoid it’ and would like to make an appeal to ‘solve the grave issues of our state, which have already crossed the threshold.

          Keshav C Das

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2007
            I think this was just an instance of good intentions gone awry. This was not
            a concerted effort by Delhi administration to bring the NE youths in line,
            it was a Central service offficer who felt that his compatriots need a
            little guidance. And before quoting Gandhi, I hope you will also recall what
            was Gandhi's first statement about Assamese people. We are too magnamous
            people not to hold that against gandhi because Gandhi was great enough to
            recant.
            The issue has been stretched too far.
            Shantikam