Post Doctoral Fellowships in Remote Sensing

  • davidalvarez76
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2007
      The Bureau of Economic Geology (BEG) in the Jackson School of
      Geosciences at The University of Texas at Austin is adding research
      staff in the broad areas of coastal studies and remote sensing. Join a
      multidisciplinary team mapping coastal environments using space and
      airborne multi and hyper-spectral remote-sensing instruments, SAR,
      lidar, gravity, and multi-wavelength electromagnetic to enable
      unprecedented understanding of change in coastal environments and the
      processes causing change. Modeling driven by these data addresses
      coastal environment problems, hurricane hazard prediction and
      understanding the effects of climate change. The BEG and collaborators
      at the University of Texas's Marine Science Institute (MSI) and Center
      for Space Research (CSR) are at the forefront of development and
      application of remote sensing to understanding the dynamics of
      coastal barrier island and wetlands environments.

      Through research grants and contracts funded by local, state, federal,
      and private sponsors, the BEG is seeking to apply remote sensing
      technologies a better understanding of the links between
      geomorphology, sedimentology, hydrology, climate, and ecology that
      create the various environments of coastal zones and cause change. We
      are integrating the latest technologies in GIS and data visualization,
      ground studies, with remote sensing. We own and operate ground and
      airborne lidar instruments, and have recently acquired the first
      operational waveform digitizer for our airborne Lidar instrument.

      We are currently looking to fill post-doctoral positions for one year
      with possible extension up to three years. Applicants with research
      interests in the development of innovative new approaches to
      extracting information on surface and near surface properties such as
      the nature of vegetative cover and moisture content are encouraged to
      apply. We are looking for applicants with expertise in: acquisition,
      processing, and modeling of lidar data; interpretation of
      multi-spectral and or hyper-spectral data; processing and
      interpretation SAR data; and modeling of fused data sets including
      lidar, multi-spectral and SAR data sets.

      The positions will be at the University of Texas at Austin's J.J.
      Pickle research campus in North West Austin. These positions are
      funded for up to three years. Please send a vita and contact
      information for three or more references to:
      Dr. Ian Duncan, Associate Director,
      Bureau of Economic Geology,
      John A. & Katherine G. Jackson School of Geosciences
      The University of Texas at Austin,
      University Station Box X, Austin, Texas, 78713-8924
      ian.duncan@beg. utexas.edu