Re: Job Opportunities

  • Shaofei Chen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 17, 2006
      --- In asprs_students@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra Hunkele"
      <sjhunkele@...> wrote:

      > Use this thread to post job opportunities that may be applicable to
      > your fellow students and job/career seekers.

      Research Opportunities at UNC Chapel Hill

      Colleagues,

      One Post-doc and Two Ph.D. Opportunities in Remote Sensing of
      Vegetation and Terrestrial Ecosystem Modeling are available in the
      Department of Geography at the University of North Carolina at Chapel
      Hill. The prospective candidates will be working on extracting
      vegetation information from remotely sensed images of multiple
      sensors and using ecological models that take vegetation information
      from remote sensing to simulate ecosystem energy, carbon and water
      fluxes at a regional scale in the context of land-cover/land-use
      change. Applicants are expected to be highly motivated in scientific
      research with a strong background in remote sensing/GIS as well as
      physical geography with an emphasis on ecosystem ecology, eco-
      hydrology, eco-climatology, ecosystem modeling or related fields. The
      applicants should possess strong quantitative and computer
      programming skills. The post-doc position can start as soon as
      possible for a year initially, and renewable depending on performance
      and availability of funding. The Ph.D. positions can start as early
      as June 1, 2007. Please contact Dr. Conghe Song via email at
      csong@... or phone at 919-843-4764 for further details.

      Please forward the email to interested parties,

      Best Regards,

      Conghe
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Conghe Song, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor
      Department of Geography
      CB# 3220, 205 Saunders Hall
      University of North Carolina
      Chapel Hill, NC 27599
      Tel: (919)843-4764(o)
      Fax: (919)962-1537
      http://www.unc.edu/depts/geog/people/faculty/song/
    • Shaofei Chen
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2006
        <sjhunkele@...> wrote:

        > Use this thread to post job opportunities that may be applicable to
        > your fellow students and job/career seekers.

        Dear Colleagues,

        Please share the following information with potential applicants. Many
        thanks.

        A Ph.D. student or postdoctoral associate is sought to expand
        interdisciplinary studies on coupled human and natural systems (e.g.,
        ecological and economic effects of natural resource management;
        effects of
        household dynamics on the environment such as biodiversity,
        landscapes,
        and natural resources; environmental effects of economic
        globalization; reciprocal interactions between human and natural
        systems
        such as ecosystem services). We are looking for highly motivated
        applicants with backgrounds in one or more fields, such as ecology,
        human
        demography, sociology, economics, geography, wildlife biology,
        biodiversity conservation, land use and land cover change, policy
        analysis, and human-environment interactions. Interests in integrating
        natural and social sciences are required. Strong quantitative skills
        (e.g., remote sensing, geographic information systems, computer
        modeling,
        mathematics, and/or statistics) are desirable. Stipends/salaries and
        benefits are competitive. Start date is negotiable.

        Reviews of applications will be conducted periodically and will
        continue
        until the position is filled. Interested individuals are encouraged to
        provide the following materials as soon as possible: (1) cover letter
        indicating general and specific research interests/experiences,
        (2) statement of professional goals (e.g., plans after finishing the
        doctoral or postdoctoral training), (3) resume, (4) transcripts, (5)
        list
        of three references (names, email addresses, phone numbers, and postal
        addresses), and (6) GRE scores and TOEFL scores (TOEFL scores are
        required
        for applicants whose native language is not English). (Photocopies of
        transcripts and GRE/TOEFL scores are okay initially.) Please email,
        mail,
        or fax all application materials to:

        Dr. Jianguo (Jack) Liu
        Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability
        Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
        Michigan State University
        East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
        517-432-1699 (fax)
        jliu@... (email)

        **** Additional relevant information *******

        Liu, J. and J. Diamond 2005. China's environment in a globalizing
        world. Nature 435:1179-1186.

        Liu, J. et al. 2003. Effects of household dynamics on resource
        consumption and biodiversity. Nature 421:530-533.

        Liu, J. and W.W. Taylor (eds.) 2002. Integrating Landscape Ecology
        into
        Natural Resource Management. Cambridge University Press.

        Liu, J. et al. 2001. Ecological degradation in protected areas.
        Science
        292:98-101.

        Liu, J. (guest editor), 2001. Ecological Modelling 140:1-192 (special
        issue on "Integration of Ecology with Human Demography, Behavior,
        and Socioeconomics")

        http://www.csis.msu.edu
      • Shaofei Chen
        Message 3 of 8 , May 21, 2007
          <sjhunkele@...> wrote:

          > Use this thread to post job opportunities that may be applicable to
          > your fellow students and job/career seekers.

          Two assistantships are available for students entering the PhD
          program in Geography and Urban Regional Analysis at the University of
          North Carolina at Charlotte. Recipients with research interests in
          urban/regional transportation analysis, spatial analysis (Incl.
          spatial statistics), and/or geographic information science are
          particularly sought, but related interests will also be given
          consideration. Recipients are expected to enter the program either in
          fall 2007 or spring 2008. Research/teaching fellowships include 4
          years of funding (stipend and tuition).

          UNC-Charlotte launched the new PhD program in fall 2006 with a class
          of nine students. Information on the program, its focus, and its
          requirements can be found at
          http://www.geoearth.uncc.edu/programs/phd/geography.htm.

          Inquiries from interested students regarding these assistantships
          should first contact Jean-Claude Thill at jfthill@.... General
          inquiries about the doctoral program should be directed to Dr. Owen
          Furuseth, Director of the Ph.D. Program, at ojfuruse@....

          Jean-Claude Thill, Ph.D.
          Knight Distinguished Professor
          Department of Geography & Earth Sciences
          The University of North Carolina at Charlotte
          9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223
          Ph.: 704/687-5909 Fax: 704/687-5966 E-Mail: jfthill@...
          http://www.geoearth.uncc.edu/people/jthill
        • Shaofei Chen
          Message 4 of 8 , May 21, 2007
            <sjhunkele@...> wrote:

            > Use this thread to post job opportunities that may be applicable to
            > your fellow students and job/career seekers.

            We have one remaining fellowship for the PhD program in
            computational
            social science at George Mason, for a student to begin studies in
            fall 2007. A student MUST have the following qualifications to be
            considered for the fellowship:

            - Combined math and verbal GRE scores of 1200 or higher;
            - A GPA in the last degree program of 3.5 or higher;
            - All other qualifications required for admission to the PhD
            program, detailed below (including prior coursework in calculus,
            programming, and statistics).

            The research fellowship includes 3 years of funding under the
            following terms:

            -$18,000 stipend for the academic year
            - 9 units of tuition remission (3 courses) for each semester

            The research fellow will be expected to participate in Center
            research 20 hours per week during the academic year and to also
            participate in Center activities such as brown-bag seminars and
            discussions with visiting scholars. S/he must also maintain normal
            progress to degree and a minimum GPA of 3.5.

            Interested students with these qualifications should contact Dawn
            Parker, acting graduate program director (cssgrad@...).

            The PhD program in computational social science at George Mason
            University, entering its third year, has 12 enrolled and 4 newly
            admitted students, and offers a wide variety of specialized courses
            in agent-based modeling of complex social systems. Core faculty
            include Drs. Claudio Cioffi-Revilla, Robert Axtell, Maxim Tsvetovat,
            and Dawn Parker, as well as a large number of affiliated faculty.
            In
            addition to focused courses in computational social science and
            modeling, students complete coursework in discipline-oriented social
            science, such as economics, political science, sociology, geography,
            environmental policy, and anthropology.

            Current students in the CSS PhD program have the opportunity to
            participate in a variety of research activities lead by program
            faculty (many as graduate research assistants), including:

            -Multi-agent system models to explore effects of HIV/AIDs on
            agricultural production in Uganda;

            -Agent-based models of land markets in agriculture and at the urban-
            rural fringe;

            -Modeling off-site impacts of land-owner behavior and land-use
            change
            on water quality and subsequent effects on rare aquatic resources in
            the Potomac Gorge;

            -Linking timber harvest and carbon sequestration in Eastern
            deciduous
            forests;

            - Using agent-based modeling to understand the rise and fall of
            polities in Inner Asia over the past several millennia;

            - Applying computational models to analyze high-frequency conflict
            event interactions and their dynamic and geospatial properties;

            - Developing new cartographic methods for understanding complex
            regional and global issues, such as proliferation, terrorism, or
            humanitarian crises;

            -Macroeconomics from the bottom up using very large-scale multi-
            agent
            systems;

            -Participatory modeling of water demand in the middle and upper Rio
            Grande: Integrating hydrologic and agent-based models;

            -Putting terror into bioterror models: Rumor propagation in mobs,
            madness of crowds, herding within and among groups, panic among the
            vulnerable, and terror in the streets--A study using a single agent-
            based framework;

            -Hyperbolic discounting: Modeling individual behavior as emergent
            from multiple selves;

            -City and firm size distributions: Joint determination of distinct
            Zipf laws via a microeconomic model;

            -Many-agent theories of the firm;

            -Team pollution: Command-and-control regulations can out-perform
            market-based mechanisms when intra-firm behavior is strategic;

            -Evolving novel solutions to 'tragedy of the commons'- type social
            dilemmas via agent-based computing;

            -Firm growth dynamics studied using micro-data, agent-based
            simulations, and generalizations of the central limit theorem;

            -Network structures in International Relations - network-based
            imperialism, structural properties of international agreements and
            alliances, economic interdependence networks, agent-based models of
            evolving relations;

            - Evolution of social networks - dynamic network models, cascades
            and
            avalanche processes in networks;

            - Terrorist and covert networks - evolution, resilience, counter-
            terrorist measures, modeling of socio-political surroundings of an
            insurgency;

            - Semantic social networks and link analysis - networks in
            scientific
            research and intelligence analysis, machine interpretation of social
            network data;

            - Wisdom of Crowds - harnessing knowledge embedded in social networks.

            More information about the program and center is available at:

            http://socialcomplexity.gmu.edu/

            For specific questions related to the graduate program, contact Dawn
            Parker, acting director for the CSS PhD program, at cssgrad@....

            Full application instructions are available at:

            http://socialcomplexity.gmu.edu/phd.php

            Application materials must include the following:

            1. Completed application form and $60.00 fee (if applying on-
            line) or $75 fee (if applying with a paper application);
            2. An updated curriculum vitae or resume;
            3. A statement of purpose (maximum 2000 words) consistent with
            the research interests of at least one faculty member in the program;
            4. The names of two Mason faculty members that may be suitable
            as
            Advisors;
            5. Three letters of recommendations by faculty members or
            individuals with direct knowledge of the student's academic or
            professional capabilities;
            6. Official transcripts for all undergraduate (minimum overall
            3.25 GPA) and graduate courses. These must be mailed to GMU
            directly
            from the degree-granting institution. Admissions requirements
            minimally include one undergraduate course in calculus and knowledge
            of a computer programming language, preferably object-based;
            7. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the past five
            years prior to the date of application submission, with exception of
            applicants who hold a master's degree from an accredited institution
            in the United States, who may request to waive the GRE requirement.
            You MUST take the GRE to be considered for funding.
            8. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as per GMU
            policies.

            Items 1-4 must be submitted jointly, as a package. Applicants are
            encouraged to submit these on-line through the on-line application
            system, which allows applications to track the status of their
            application. (https://patriotweb.gmu.edu/pls/prod/
            bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon)

            Additionally, but not as a requirement, an applicant may submit
            prior
            work in computational social science, such as a simulation model or
            publications. The letters of recommendation must arrive directly
            from
            the recommenders and may be submitted electronically as .pdf
            attachments (send to: mhayes5@..., with copy to
            cssgrad@... ). Items 6-8 are forwarded to the program at the
            applicant's request.

            Each application is reviewed by the Program Director, who shares
            them
            with the faculty members listed by the applicant. The admissions
            decision is determined by an applicant's credentials and matching
            faculty interests. The program may recommend that an applicant delay
            another year, pending completion of additional coursework. An
            interview with an applicant may be necessary in some cases. No
            specific set of qualifications guarantees admission to the program.

            For further admission requirements and procedures please contact
            Melissa Hayes at mhayes5@... or 703-993-3430.

            All supporting documents for application packets should be mailed to:
            Melissa Hayes
            Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions, COS
            103 Science and Tech Bldg. 1, MS 6A3
            George Mason University
            4400 University Drive
            Fairfax, VA. 22030 USA

            For program and course content information please contact:
            Dr. Dawn Cassandra Parker, Acting Director
            Program in Computational Social Sciences
            Center for Social Complexity MSN 6B2
            George Mason University
            4400 University Drive
            Fairfax, VA 22030 USA
            cssgrad@... (preferred contact)
            Tel. (703) 993-4640, Fax (703) 993-1399

            Dawn Cassandra Parker
            Assistant Professor
            Department of Environmental Science and Policy and Center for Social
            Complexity
            Acting Director, Computational Social Science PhD Program
            George Mason University
            703-993-4640
            dparker3 at gmu dot edu
            http://mason.gmu.edu/~dparker3
          • Shaofei Chen
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31, 2007
              Post Doc Positions: Land Cover and Land Use Change and Carbon Dynamics

              Applications are sought for one or two postdoc positions in the
              general
              area of land cover and land use change, and the implications of
              forest
              change on carbon dynamics. Opportunities will exist to work closely
              with the USGS/NASA Landsat Science Team, the NASA Land Cover and Land
              Use Change Science Team and the Land Cover Implementation Team of
              GOFC/GOLD. Expertise in remote sensing and ecosystem processes is
              desired. There may be opportunities to participate in teaching in
              support of development of skills for future faculty positions.
              Please
              send inquiries or applications to Curtis Woodcock, Department of
              Geography and Environment, Boston University, 675 Commonwealth
              Avenue,
              Boston Ma 02215. Boston University is an equal opportunity and
              affirmative action employer. Consideration of applicants will
              commence
              when applications arrive.
              If possible, use email (curtis@...) for all inquiries and
              applications (or for questions call 617-353-5746). For applications
              please include your resume, a brief statement of career objectives
              and
              research interests, and the names and contact information for 3