Rich Murray: Roberts: "Aspartame Disease" 1038 page expert magnum opus 7.5.1 rmforall

  • Rich Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2001
      Rich Murray: Roberts: "Aspartame Disease"
      1038 page expert magnum opus 7.5.1 rmforall

      [Just let me know if you want off or on this list!]

      July 5 2001 I turned 59 July 3, and got a wonderful, long-anticipated
      gift from H.J. Roberts, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.C.C.P.:
      "Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic". I will be studying this
      very helpful comprehensive review carefully, and composing summary
      posts on almost all of the 34 chapters, to explore this immense
      tapestry of data, observations, conclusions, and questions, making it
      easier for potential readers to decide whether to pay the price,
      $ 85.00 postpaid. The size of a Santa Fe phone book, the 1038
      pages are 8.5X11, and appear to be composed in HTML. I will
      quote various passages, and give comments. Roberts' style is
      throughout lucid, dignified, high-minded, plain-spoken, direct,
      calm, succinct, and often shows a dry wit.

      [Comments or corrections by Rich Murray are in these brackets.]

      p 7 ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
      Several added points deserve clarification for critical readers.
      ITEM 1: I wrote this book myself. (The term "authentic" comes from
      a Greek word meaning "one who does things with his own hands.")
      There were no collaborators, "ghost writers," or editors.

      p 8 Corporate Neutrality:
      I take pride in my corporate neutrality. No grants or salary were
      received for this effort, which originated in clinical practice.

      p 27 EVOLVING DOUBTS: "GOING PUBLIC'
      Like most physicians, the author had no reason to doubt the
      scientific basis for its safety when aspartame was approved by
      the FDA [in July, 1981]. My attitude changed, however, after
      repeatedly encountering serious reactions in my patients
      (Section 2) that seemed justifiably linked to use of such
      products.

      These doubts increased after learning by mid-1986 that over
      10,000 consumers had sent complaints to the FDA, the
      Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the manufacturer,
      interested investigators, and consumer organizations.

      p 28 More On the Author's Background:
      The reader is entitled to specifics about the author's interest and
      credentials.
      At the time my observations on aspartame disease first evolved,
      I was a primary-care internist, medical consultant, and
      director of a corporate-neutral medical research organization.
      Patients with a broad spectrum of diagnostic and therapeutic
      difficulties were seen, generally after having consulted with a
      number of physicians and clinics. The unique role stemmed from
      having authored many scientific articles and books. The first,
      "Difficult Diagnosis: A Guide to the Interpretation of Obscure
      Illness (W.B. Saunders Company, 1958), has been used by
      more than 60,000 physicians in the United States.

      In the mid-1980s, I became aware of subtle changes and
      challenges pertaining to both the diagnosis and management
      of patients whose difficulties later could be related directly
      to the use of aspartame products.

      A 16-year-old girl (Case III-2) had recurrent seizures that
      baffled several neurologists. Her convulsions stopped after
      avaoiding aspartame products. An attack was then reproduced
      within three hours following rechallenge with one small serving
      of an aspartame pudding."

      [This paragraph epitomizes the 1200 case reports that are the
      foundation of this text.]

      These insights led to routinely inquiring of "problem patients"
      about aspartame consumption. Their prompt improvement
      following abstinence indicated an evolving public health
      problem... at least within the context of my practice.
      Numerous persons having "mysterious ailments" came to
      realize that they were afflicted with aspartame disease when
      striking improvement occurred after stopping such products.
      Virtually every day became a learning experience as I
      delved into the numerous facets of aspartame disease.

      [This indicates that a single doctor who inquires about
      aspartame use by all his own clients is likely to find many
      cases a week of aspartame disease, and this in turn is
      evidence for a huge degree of prevalence. Skeptical
      professionals have an opportunity to confirm or refute
      this in their own clinical practice. I will gladly post any
      observations, and critical reviews, pro or con, sent to me,
      on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/messages ]

      p 31 On July 30, 1986, I presented my data on 100
      aspartame reactors at a press conference in West Palm Beach...
      I delivered my first scientific report on 360 aspartame reactors
      to the Section on Medicine of the Southern Medical Association
      on November 10, 1986. The first article on 496 aspartame
      reactors appeared in the January 1987 edition of "On Call",
      official publication of the Palm Beach County Medical Society.

      The flood of calls and letters from grate aspartame "victims" and
      their families dispelled my earlier misgivingts about "going
      public." A husband wrote, "Without someone publishing this
      information that was so helpful to me, my wife could have died
      from illness due to this cause."

      p 6 I have engaged in independent patient-based clinical research
      involving various realms for more than four decades. They
      include pesticides (notably pentachlorophenol), products
      contaminated with toxic metals, arbitrary severe caloric
      restriction, megadoses of vitamin E, antistatic clothes softeners,
      fluoridation of water, and even vasectomy. I repeatedly
      stressed two pertinent issues. First, a long time may be
      required to identify the hazards of new products and
      medical interventions, particularly drugs and industial chemicals.
      Second, it may take even longer for these risks to be
      acknowledged by physicians and public health officials.

      Rich Murray: Roberts:
      some abstracts in PubMed 1965-1990 6.15.1 rmforall ]

      Rich Murray, MA Room For All rmforall@...
      1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe NM USA 87505 505-986-9103

      M.I.T. (physics and history, BA, 1964), Boston U. Graduate School
      (psychology, MA, 1967): As a concerned layman, I want to clarify the
      aspartame toxicity debate.

      Rich Murray: Smith: fibromyalgia & aspartame & MSG 6.27.1 rmforall

      Excellent 5-page review by H.J. Roberts in "Townsend Letter",
      Jan 2000, "Aspartame (NutraSweet) Addiction"
      http://www.dorway.com/tldaddic.html http://www.sunsentpress.com/
      H.J. Roberts, M.D. HJRobertsmd@... sunsentpress@...
      Sunshine Sentinel Press 6708 Pamela Lane West Palm Beach, FL 33405
      800-814-9800 561-588-7628 561-547-8008 fax
      1038 page text "Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic"
      published May 30 2001 $ 85.00 postpaid data from 1200 cases
      http://www.aspartameispoison.com/contents.html 34 chapters