Rich Murray: Piper: changing mind re aspartame toxicity 1.31.00 rmforall

  • Rich Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2001
      Rich Murray: Piper: changing mind re aspartame toxicity 1.31.00
      rmforall

      Subject: RE: Rich Murray: Piper: aspartame a web hoax? 1.31.01
      rmforall
      Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:59:01 -0800
      From: Paul Piper <Paul.Piper@...>
      To: rmforall@...

      Dear Rich, Dave, & E Bryant Holman -

      Thanks for the feedback, although some of you could tone down the
      rhetoric a bit. I am in the process of converting this piece to a
      couple of book
      chapters, and welcome the urls to www.dorway.com <http://www.dorway.com>

      and www.holisticmed.com/aspartme <http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartme>
      which I will certainly include in future adaptations. It's interesting
      all the ways people can read my politics (I'm currently being sued for
      slander by a company mentioned in the article). My quote under the lip
      balm
      site ("I'm not too far removed from thinking corporations would have few

      qualms about covertly adding addictive ingredients to substances as
      innocuous as lip balm.") more accurately reveals my politics.
      So I can sympathize.
      The aspartame case was given to me by a friend, and to be honest I
      didn't
      delve into it all that closely. My dealings with it in the future will
      be
      more fair, and I apologize to those who want to murder me.
      I think this is a prime example of how information needs to beevaluated
      on an
      *individual* basis. And an individual doing so needs access to all
      sides.

      Cheers -- Paul Piper

      Subject: Rich Murray: Piper: aspartame a web hoax? 1.31.01 rmforall
      Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:34:25 -0700
      From: rmforalll@...>
      To: piper@..., dorietz@...,
      bettym19@..., bryanth@..., mgold@...,
      geoff.brewer@..., carolg8@..., rmforall@...
      BCC: Joelsol@...

      Rich Murray: Piper: aspartame a web hoax? 1.31.01 rmforall

      http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/sep00/piper.htm
      Better Read That Again: Web Hoaxes and Misinformation
      by Paul S. Piper, Librarian, Western Washington University
      piper@... 650-3097

      Searcher Sept 2000 Vol 8 Num 8
      located via http://www.magportal.com searches articles
      posted on the Net

      http://www.library.wwu.edu/cbl/piper/right.html Paul S. Piper home page

      Early in 1999 the so-called “Nancy Markle Letter,”
      a piece really written by Betty Martini, a leading aspartame
      activist, was submitted to over 450 e-mail groups.
      The letter claimed that aspartame was responsible for multiple
      sclerosis and systemic lupus. The author claimed
      she had just testified before the EPA, and the letter contained
      numerous scientific “facts.” Victims of these diseases
      who read and believed the letter were horrified. Responses
      from the Multiple Sclerosis Society, National Soft Drink Association,
      and the press (among them Time Magazine
      Health columnist Christine Gorman, 2/8/99) rushed to dispel the myth.
      Yet like a previous e-mail warning of
      carcinogens in shampoo, this letter germinated a following
      (check the Nancy Markle home page,
      http://nancymarkle.com/ , if interested) of people who believe Martini’s

      claims.

      Jan 31 2001 Hello Paul S. Piper,

      Your lengthly article on disinformation on the Net is lucid, cogent,
      entertaining, and very valuable.
      However, it does happen that corporate vested interests
      succeed in burying undesirable truths under heaps of persistent,
      systematic, cunning misinformation.
      Certainly we have seen this in recent decades in
      controversies about lead in paint and gasoline, abestos in building
      materials, and the unusually powerful addictive toxin, nicotine.

      For an excellent 50-page peer-reviewed article by a worldly-wise
      businesswoman, with a PhD in educational psychology, about
      disinformation about MSG toxicity:

      http://www.truthinlabeling.org/ Truth in Labeling Campaign [MSG]
      Adrienne Samuels, PhD P.O. Box 2532 Darien, Illinois 60561
      858-481-9333 adandjack@... "The Toxicity/Safety of Processed
      Free Glutamic Acid (MSG): A Study in Suppression of Information"
      Accountability in Research (1999) Vol 6, pp. 259-310

      The strategies and many of the practitioners of disinformation happen
      to overlap with those who portray aspartame as,
      "The most tested food additive in history", since many huge firms are
      involved in both products. This phrase is always a dead give-away
      that the source is a corporate ally. It happens to be in the historical

      record that adroit manipulation of a few critical committees over
      two decades ago caused a potent drug to be classified as a "food
      additive", which has the immense practical benefit for industry of
      meaning that there is neither a legal requirement for proof of safety,
      nor for ongoing record-keeping of doctor and user complaints.

      This type of phrase "...this letter germinated a following
      (check the Nancy Markle home page,
      http://nancymarkle.com/ , if interested)
      of people who believe Martini’s claims." occurs over and over
      in the disinformation campaign, to trivialize a
      serious, persistent, widespread public health debate, involving
      highly credential, informed professionals, by focusing on a
      volunteer amateur activist and emphasingly only faults in some
      of her work. It is very good that you included the link, which
      is to a complex site run by another volunteer activist,
      Bryant Holman, a successful businessman, who is moderator
      to aspartame@... , an archived discussion
      group, now two years old, with 300 members.
      bryanth@... . I just visited the link, finding
      immediate access to statements and links by credential medical
      professionals. To trivialize them as, "...people who believe
      Martini's claims." is not a public service. It is
      hardly accurate to apply the phrase "germinate a following"
      to image these professionals, who carefully
      support responsible volunteer activists who
      are far more informed than the great majority of
      professionals, still largely taken in by the brilliant,
      systematic campaign of disinformation.

      The Christine Gorman piece was a classic operation.
      However, it backfired, because many people simply checked out
      aspartame on any search engine, usually leading right
      to Dave Rietz's http:www.dorway.com , now 600
      pages, which combines lurid colors with detailed
      reports by dozens of media and medical professionals.

      Incidentally, the "Nancy Markle" post started in
      early Dec 1999, not "Early in 1999". Betty is still
      getting many calls a day from it. Many members of
      the support group owe their regained happiness,
      health, and hope to it.

      Here is my own summary, refined again and again for
      two years:

      Rich Murray: Aspartame Toxicity 1.30.01: Trocho 6.26.98 rmforall

      Rich Murray, MA Room For All
      1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
      505-986-9103 505-920-6130 cell rmforall@...