A Cure For Cancer? Eating A Plant-Based Diet, Kathy Freston interviews Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Cornell University: Rich Murray 2009.09.28

  • Rich Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28 12:21 PM
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.htm
      Monday, September 28, 2009
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1586

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/a-cure-for-cancer-eating_b_298282.html

      The Huffington Post, September 28, 2009

      Kathy Freston
      Author, Health and Wellness Expert

      A Cure For Cancer? Eating A Plant-Based Diet

      466 Comments

      I have been working closely recently with a few extraordinary
      nutritional researchers, and I find that the information they
      have compiled is quite eye opening. Interestingly, what these
      highly esteemed doctors are saying is just beginning to be
      understood and accepted, perhaps because what they are
      saying does not conveniently fit in with or support the
      multi-billion dollar food industries that profit from our
      "not knowing". One thing is for sure: we are getting sicker
      and more obese than our health care system can handle,
      and the conventional methods of dealing with disease often
      have harmful side effects and are ineffective for some patients.

      As it is now, one out of every two of us will get cancer or
      heart disease and die from it -- an ugly and painful death as
      anyone who has witnessed it can attest.
      And starting in the year 2000, one out of every three children
      who are born after that year will develop diabetes -- a disease
      that for most sufferers (those with Type 2 diabetes) is largely
      preventable with lifestyle changes.
      This is a rapidly emerging crisis, the seriousness of which I'm
      not sure we have yet recognized. The good news is, the means
      to prevent and heal disease seems to be right in front of us;
      it's in our food.
      Quite frankly, our food choices can either kill us - which
      mounting studies say that they are, or they can lift us right out
      of the disease process and into soaring health.

      In the next few months, I will share a series of interviews I've
      conducted with the preeminent doctors and nutritional
      researchers in the fields of their respective expertise.
      And here it is straight out: they are all saying the same thing in
      different ways and through multiple and varying studies:
      animal protein seems to greatly contribute to diseases of nearly
      every type; and a plant-based diet is not only good for our health,
      but it's also curative of the very serious diseases we face .

      Cancer

      On the subject of cancer, I've asked Dr. T. Colin Campbell,
      Professor Emeritus of Cornell University and author of the
      groundbreaking The China Study to explain how cancer
      happens and what we can do to prevent and reverse it.
      Dr. Campbell's work is regarded by many as the definitive
      epidemiological examination of the relationship between diet
      and disease. He has received more than 70 grant years of
      peer-reviewed research funding, much of which was funded
      by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), and he has
      authored more than 300 research papers. He grew up on a
      dairy farm believing in the great health value of animal protein
      in the American diet and set out in his career to investigate
      how to produce more and better animal protein. Troublesome
      to his preconceived hypothesis of the goodness of dairy,
      Dr. Campbell kept running up against results that consistently
      proved an emerging and comprehensive truth: that animal
      protein is disastrous to human health.

      Through a variety of experimental study designs,
      epidemiological evidence, along with observation of real life
      conditions which had rational biological explanation,
      Dr. Campbell has made a direct and powerful correlation
      between cancer (and other diseases and illnesses) and animal
      protein. Following is a conversation I had with him so that
      I could better understand the association.

      KF: What happens in the body when cancer develops?
      What is the actual process?

      TCC: Cancer generally develops over a long period of time,
      divided into 3 stages, initiation, promotion and progression.

      Initiation occurs when chemicals or other agents attack the
      genes of normal cells to produce genetically modified cells
      capable of eventually causing cancer. The body generally
      repairs most such damage but if the cell reproduces itself
      before it is repaired, its new (daughter) cell retains this genetic
      damage. This process may occur within minutes and, to some
      extent, is thought to be occurring most of the time in most of our
      tissues.

      Promotion occurs when the initiated cells continue to replicate
      themselves and grow into cell masses that eventually will be
      diagnosed. This is a long growth phase occurring over months
      or years and is known to be reversible.

      Progression occurs when the growing cancer masses invade
      neighboring tissues and/or break away from the tissue of origin
      (metastasis) and travel to distant tissues when they are capable
      of growing independently at which point they are considered to
      be malignant.

      KF: Why do some people get cancer, and other don't?
      What percentage is genetic, and what percentage has to do
      with diet?

      TCC: Although the initiated cells are not considered to be
      reversible, the cells growing through the promotion stage
      are usually considered to be reversible, a very exciting concept.

      This is the stage that especially responds to nutritional factors.
      For example, the nutrients from animal based foods, especially
      the protein, promote the development of the cancer
      whereas the nutrients from plant-based foods, especially the
      antioxidants, reverse the promotion stage.
      This is a very promising observation because cancer proceeds
      forward or backward as a function of the balance of promoting
      and anti-promoting factors found in the diet, thus consuming
      anti-promoting plant-based foods tend to keep the cancer
      from going forward, perhaps even reversing the promotion.
      The difference between individuals is almost entirely related
      to their diet and lifestyle practices.

      Although all cancer and other diseases begin with genes,
      this is not the reason whether or not the disease actually appears.
      If people do the right thing during the promotion stage, perhaps
      even during the progression stage, cancer will not appear
      and if it does, might even be resolved.

      Most estimates suggest that not more than 2-3 percent of cancers
      are due entirely to genes; almost all the rest is due to diet and
      lifestyle factors.
      Consuming plant based foods offers the best hope of avoiding
      cancer, perhaps even reversing cancer once it is diagnosed.
      Believing that cancer is attributed to genes is a fatalistic idea
      but believing that cancer can be controlled by nutrition
      is a far more hopeful idea.

      KF: You said that initially something attacks the genes, chemicals
      or other agents; like what?

      TCC: Cancer, like every other biological event -- good or bad --
      begins with genes. In the case of cancer, gene(s) that give rise
      to cancer either may be present when we are born or, during our
      lifetimes, normal genes may be converted into cancer genes by
      certain highly reactive chemicals (i.e., carcinogens).

      Consider 'cancer genes' as seeds that grow into tumor masses
      only if they are 'fed'. The 'feeding' comes from wrongful nutrition.
      It's like growing a lawn. We plant seeds but they don't grow into
      grass (or weeds) unless they are provided water, sunlight and
      nutrients. So it is with cancer. In reality, we are planting seeds all
      of our lifetime although some may be present at birth, not only for
      cancer but also for other events as well. But this mostly does not
      matter unless we 'nourish' their growth.

      The chemicals that create these cancer genes are called 'carcinogens'.
      Most carcinogens of years past have been those that attack normal
      genes to give cancer genes.
      These are initiating carcinogens, or initiators. But more recently,
      carcinogens also may be those that promote cancer growth.
      They are promoting carcinogens, or promoters.

      Our work showed that casein is the most relevant cancer promoter
      ever discovered.

      Aside from chemicals initiating or promoting cancer, other agents
      such as cosmic rays (energetic particles) from the sun or from the
      outer reaches of space may impact our genes to cause them to change
      (i.e., mutate) so that they could give rise to cancer 'seeds'.
      The most important point to consider is that we cannot do much
      about preventing initiation but we can do a lot about preventing
      promotion.
      The initiating idea is fatalistic and outside of our control but the
      promotion idea is hopeful because we can change our exposure to
      promoting agents and reverse the cancer process,
      thus is within our control.

      KF: What exactly is so bad about animal protein?

      TCC: I don't choose the word "exactly" because it suggests
      something very specific. Rather, casein causes a broad spectrum
      of adverse effects.
      Among other fundamental effects, it makes the body more acidic,
      alters the mix of hormones and modifies important enzyme activities,
      each of which can cause a broad array of more specific effects.
      One of these effects is its ability to promote cancer growth
      (by operating on key enzyme systems, by increasing hormone
      growth factors and by modifying the tissue acidity).
      Another is its ability to increase blood cholesterol (by modifying
      enzyme activities) and to enhance atherogenesis,
      which is the early stage of cardiovascular disease.

      And finally, although these are casein-specific effects, it should be
      noted that other animal-based proteins are likely to have the same
      effect as casein.

      KF: Ok, so I am clear that it's wise to avoid casein,
      which is intrinsic in dairy (milk and cheese),
      but how is other animal protein, such as chicken, steak, or pork,
      implicated in the cause and growth of cancer?

      TCC: I would first say that casein is not just "intrinsic" but
      IS THE MAIN PROTEIN OF COW MILK,
      REPRESENTING ABOUT 87% OF THE MILK PROTEIN.

      The biochemical systems which underlie the adverse effects of casein
      are also common to other animal-based proteins.
      Also, the amino acid composition of casein, which is the characteristic
      primarily responsible for its property, is similar to most other
      animal-based proteins.
      They all have what we call high 'biological value', in comparison,
      for example, with plant-based proteins, which is why animal
      protein promotes cancer growth and plant protein doesn't.

      KF: Isn't anything in moderation ok, as long as we don't overdo it?

      TCC: I rather like the expression told by my friend,
      Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr., MD, the Cleveland Clinic surgeon
      who reversed heart disease and who says, "Moderation kills!"
      I prefer to go the whole way, not because we have fool-proof
      evidence showing that 100% is better than, say, 95% for every
      single person for every single condition but that it is easier to
      avoid straying off on an excursion that too often becomes a
      slippery slope back to our old ways. Moreover, going the
      whole way allows us to adapt to new unrealized tastes and
      to rid ourselves of some old addictions. And finally, moderation
      often means very different things for different people.

      KF: Are you saying that if one changes their diet from animal
      based protein to plant-based protein that the disease process
      of cancer can be halted and reversed?

      TCC: Yes, this is what our experimental research shows.
      I also have become aware of many anecdotal claims by people
      who have said that their switch to a plant-based diet stopped
      even reversed (cured?) their disease. One study on melanoma
      has been published in the peer-reviewed literature that shows
      convincing evidence that cancer progression is substantially
      halted with this diet.

      KF: How long does it take to see changes?

      TCC: It is not clear because carefully designed research in humans
      has not been done. However, we demonstrated and published
      findings showing that experimental progression of disease is at least
      suspended, even reversed, when tumors are clearly present.

      KF: Consider a person who has been eating poorly his whole life;
      is there still hope that a dietary change can make a big difference?
      Or is everything already in motion?

      TCC: Yes, a variety of evidence shows that cancers and
      non-cancers alike can be stopped even after consuming
      a poor diet earlier in life.
      This effect is equivalent to treatment, a very exciting concept.

      KF: This is sounding like it's a cure for cancer; is that the case?

      TCC: Yes. The problem in this area of medicine is that traditional
      doctors are so focused on the use of targeted therapies
      (chemo, surgery, radiation) that they refuse to even acknowledge
      the use of therapies like nutrition and are loathe to even want to do
      proper research in this area. So, in spite of the considerable
      evidence -- theoretical and practical -- to support a beneficial
      nutritional effect, every effort will be made to discredit it.
      It's a self-serving motive.

      KF: What else do you recommend one does to avoid, stop,
      or reverse cancer?

      TCC: A good diet, when coupled with other health
      activities like exercise, adequate fresh air and sunlight, good water
      and sleep, will be more beneficial.
      The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. ***

      For help on how to lean into a plant based diet,
      check out my blog post here;

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/one-bite-at-a-time-a-begi_b_42211.html

      and for recipes click here.

      For more information about diet and cancer, visit www.tcolincampbell.org
      ***

      www.vegsource.com

      www.drmcdougall.com

      www.notmilk.com

      http://www.notmilk.com/tudrmac.html 65 citations

      The over 100 mg methanol impurity per liter wine
      or two liters aspartame beverages becomes
      formaldehyde and then formic acid in humans -- co-factors
      for "morning after" hangovers, birth defects, cancers -- folic acid
      protects most people.

      formaldehyde, aspartame, and migraines, the first case series, Sharon
      E Jacob-Soo, Sarah A Stechschulte, UCSD, Dermatitis 2008 May:
      Rich Murray 2008.07.18
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.htm
      Friday, July 18, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1553

      http://RMForAll.blogspot.com new primary archive

      group with 141 members, 1,586 posts in a public archive

      group with 1199 members, 23,909 posts in a public archive

      participant, Santa Fe Complex www.sfcomplex.org