Ralph Walton, MD, asks FDA to ban aspartame: Stephen Fox: Rich Murray 2009.08.18

  • Rich Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2009
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.htm
      Tuesday, August 18, 2009
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1584

      http://www.opednews.com/articles/New-York-Psychiatrist-Exho-by-Dr-Ralph-Walton--090812-518.html

      Tag(s): Artificial Sweetener; Aspartame; Aspartame Poisoning;
      Carcinogenic; Dr Russell Blaylock; Equal Merisant;
      Margaret Hamburg; Merisant; Monsanto; Neurotoxic; (more...)
      Psychiatrists; Ralph Walton Md (less...)

      August 14, 2009 at 11:52:02
      New York Psychiatrist Exhorts FDA to Rescind Artificial
      Sweetener Aspartame Approval
      by Dr. Ralph Walton, M.D. (Posted by Stephen Fox)
      Page 1 of 1 page
      www.opednews.com

      Margaret Hamburg, M.D.
      Commissioner, F.D.A.
      5600 Fishers Lane
      Rockville, Maryland 20857

      Dear Dr. Hamburg:

      I would like to urgently request that the F.D.A. re-visit the
      approval of aspartame.

      This is an issue which I have been involved with for the past 25
      years -- initially because of the adverse effects experienced by
      one of my patients. I had been treating a then 54 year old
      woman with imipramine because of recurrent major depressive
      episodes. Previous psychoanalytically based therapy had
      proven ineffective, but she responded dramatically to 150 mg
      of imipramine per day. She had done well for 11 years on this
      medication, but was then suddenly hospitalized with a grand
      mal seizure and subsequent manic episode.

      One could postulate that she was bipolar and the imipramine
      had triggered the mania, but she had been on the same
      medication for a total of 11 years, and for the previous 5
      years at the same 150 mg per day dose. Neither the seizure
      nor her mania were consistent with what we know about the
      clinical course of bipolar disorder or epilepsy. Careful history
      revealed that the only change in her life was a recent decision
      to switch from the sugar which she had always used to sweeten
      her iced tea to a newly marketed product with aspartame.
      I reasoned that the aspartame could have altered the
      catecholamine/indoleamine balance and thus account for her
      clinical difficulties.

      After the publication of this case report many patients with
      unexplained seizures or puzzling psychiatric presentations were
      referred to me. I became increasingly convinced that aspartame
      could trigger seizure activity and mimic or exacerbate a variety
      of psychiatric disorders. I presented a paper based on those
      patients at a 1987 MIT sponsored conference on dietary
      phenylalanine and brain function.

      Industry sponsored criticism was made that my conclusions
      regarding aspartame's toxicity could not be accepted as valid
      because my case reports were "merely anecdotal" and not
      based on double-blind research. Although I personally
      believe that case reports are undervalued in modern medical
      literature, I was so convinced of aspartame's toxicity, and the
      need to have it's hazards more widely appreciated in the
      medical community, that I did undertake a double-blind study.

      That study was published in Biological Psychiatry in 1993
      (a copy of the paper is enclosed). It demonstrated that
      individuals with mood disorders are particularly sensitive to
      aspartame and experienced an accentuation of depression
      and multiple physical symptoms. I had expected that the
      difficulties experienced by patients receiving aspartame
      would be fairly subtle (the dose of 30 mg/kg/day was well
      below the 50 mg/kg/day that the F.D.A. considered "safe").
      I was not prepared for the severity of the reactions and for
      obvious ethical reasons cannot perform any further human
      studies with aspartame.

      Two years after the publication of that study I was contacted by
      a producer for "60 Minutes" and asked if I would be willing to
      be interviewed by Mike Wallace for a segment on aspartame.
      During that interview Mike challenged me on my assertion that
      there were major problems with this sweetener in view of the
      fact that the bulk of the medical literature attested to its safety.

      I responded that one had to look carefully at study funding --
      that virtually all of the studies claiming safety were funded by
      the industry, whereas independently funded studies invariably
      identified one or more problems. When he challenged me to
      prove this I prepared a chart correlating study outcome and
      funding source. This chart was aired on the 60 Minutes
      segment, and is enclosed, with further discussion of this entire
      issue.

      Although for obvious ethical reasons I cannot perform further
      human studies with aspartame, as a busy clinician I continue
      to see the multiple neurological and psychiatric consequences
      of aspartame use. It can lower seizure threshold and lead to
      an incorrect diagnosis of epilepsy, with subsequent
      inappropriate prescription of anticonvulsants. It can mimic
      or exacerbate symptoms of MS, it can paradoxically produce
      carbohydrate craving and weight gain. The world-wide epidemic
      of obesity and type 2 diabetes obviously has multiple causes,
      but I am convinced aspartame is a major factor.

      On a daily basis I see how it can both produce and aggravate
      depression, in certain patients it can trigger manic episodes, it can
      produce or aggravate panic attacks. Some of my patients have
      experienced a complete cessation of panic attacks and needed
      no further treatment after they totally eliminated aspartame from
      their diet. Certain schizophrenic patients have experienced fewer
      auditory hallucinations and needed less antipsychotic medication
      after the elimination of aspartame consumption.

      Thank you Dr. Hamburg for your attention to this urgent public
      health problem.

      Yours sincerely,

      Ralph G. Walton, M.D.
      Former Professor and Chairman,
      Department of Psychiatry,
      Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine

      four Murray AspartameNM reviews in SE Jacob & SA
      Stechschulte debate with EG Abegaz & RG Bursey of
      Ajinomoto re migraines from formaldehyde from aspartame,
      Dermatitis 2009 May: TE Hugli -- folic acid with V-C
      protects: Rich Murray 2009.08.12
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.htm
      Wednesday, August 12, 2009
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1582

      Nurses Health Study can quickly reveal the extent of aspartame
      (methanol, formaldehyde, formic acid) toxicity:
      Murray 2004.11.21 rmforall

      antiseptic? antifungal? antiviral? methanol (formaldehyde, formic
      acid) disposition: Bouchard M et al, full plain text, 2001:
      substantial sources are degradation of fruit pectins, liquors,
      aspartame, smoke: Murray 2005.01.05 rmforall

      Since no adequate data has ever been published on the
      exact disposition of toxic metabolites in specific tissues in humans
      of the 11 % methanol component of aspartame,
      the many studies on morning-after hangover from the methanol
      impurity in alcohol drinks are the main available resource to date.

      highly toxic formaldehyde, the cause of alcohol hangovers, is
      made by the body from 100 mg doses of methanol from
      dark wines and liquors, dimethyl dicarbonate, and aspartame:
      Murray 2007.08.31

      DMDC: Dimethyl dicarbonate 200mg/L in drinks
      adds methanol 98 mg/L ( becomes formaldehyde in body ):
      EU Scientific Committee on Foods 2001.07.12:
      Murray 2004.01.22

      http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/fs/sc/scf/out96_en.pdf

      "...DMDC was evaluated by the SCF in 1990 and considered
      acceptable for the cold sterilization of soft drinks and fruit juices
      at levels of addition up to 250 mg/L (1)
      ...DMDC decomposes primarily to CO2 and methanol ...

      [ Note: Sterilization of bacteria and fungi is a toxic process,
      probably due to the inevitable conversion in the body of
      methanol into highly toxic formaldehyde and then formic acid. ]

      The use of 200 mg DMDC per liter would add 98 mg/L of
      methanol to wine which already contains an average of about
      140 mg/L from natural sources.

      methanol products (formaldehyde and formic acid) are main
      cause of alcohol hangover symptoms [same as from similar
      amounts of methanol, the 11% part of aspartame]:
      YS Woo et al, 2005 Dec: Murray 2006.01.20

      Addict Biol. 2005 Dec;10(4): 351-5.
      Concentration changes of methanol in blood samples during
      an experimentally induced alcohol hangover state.
      Woo YS, Yoon SJ, Lee HK, Lee CU, Chae JH, Lee CT,
      Kim DJ.
      Chuncheon National Hospital, Department of Psychiatry,
      The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea.
      http://www.cuk.ac.kr/eng/ sysop@...
      Songsin Campus: 02-740-9714
      Songsim Campus: 02-2164-4116
      Songeui Campus: 02-2164-4114
      http://www.cuk.ac.kr/eng/sub055.htm eight hospitals

      [ Han-Kyu Lee ]

      A hangover is characterized by the unpleasant physical and
      mental symptoms that occur between 8 and 16 hours after
      drinking alcohol.

      After inducing experimental hangover in normal individuals,
      we measured the methanol concentration prior to
      and after alcohol consumption
      and we assessed the association between the hangover
      condition and the blood methanol level.

      A total of 18 normal adult males participated in this study.

      They did not have any previous histories of psychiatric
      or medical disorders.

      The blood ethanol concentration prior to the alcohol intake
      (2.26+/-2.08) was not significantly different from that
      13 hours after the alcohol consumption (3.12+/-2.38).

      However, the difference of methanol concentration
      between the day of experiment (prior to the alcohol intake)
      and the next day (13 hours after the alcohol intake)
      was significant (2.62+/-1.33/l vs. 3.88+/-2.10/l, respectively).

      A significant positive correlation was observed
      between the changes of blood methanol concentration
      and hangover subjective scale score increment when covarying
      for the changes of blood ethanol level (r=0.498, p<0.05).

      This result suggests the possible correlation of methanol
      as well as its toxic metabolite to hangover. PMID: 16318957

      [ The toxic metabolite of methanol is formaldehyde, which in turn
      partially becomes formic acid -- both potent cumulative toxins
      that are the actual cause of the toxicity of methanol.]

      This study by Jones AW (1987) found next-morning hangover
      from red wine with 100 to 150 mg methanol
      (9.5 % w/v ethanol, 100 mg/l methanol, 0.01 %).
      Fully 11% of aspartame is methanol --
      1,120 mg aspartame in 2 L diet soda,
      almost six 12-oz cans, gives 123 mg methanol (wood alcohol).

      Pharmacol Toxicol. 1987 Mar; 60(3): 217-20.
      Elimination half-life of methanol during hangover.
      Jones AW. wayne.jones@...;
      Department of Forensic Toxicology,
      University Hospital, SE-581 85 Linkoping, Sweden.

      This paper reports the elimination half-life of methanol in human
      volunteers.
      Experiments were made during the morning after the subjects had
      consumed 1000-1500 ml red wine
      (9.5 % w/v ethanol, 100 mg/l methanol)
      the previous evening. [ 100 to 150 mg methanol ]
      The washout of methanol from the body
      coincided with the onset of hangover.
      The concentrations of ethanol and methanol in blood were
      determined indirectly by analysis of end-expired alveolar air.
      In the morning when blood-ethanol dropped
      below the Km of liver alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH)
      of about 100 mg/l (2.2 mM),
      the disappearance half-life of ethanol was 21, 22, 18 and 15 min.
      in 4 test subjects respectively.
      The corresponding elimination half-lives of methanol
      were 213, 110, 133 and 142 min. in these same individuals.
      The experimental design outlined in this paper can be used
      to obtain useful data on elimination kinetics of methanol
      in human volunteers without undue ethical limitations.
      Circumstantial evidence is presented to link methanol
      or its toxic metabolic products, formaldehyde and formic acid,
      with the pathogenesis of hangover. PMID: 3588516

      Thrasher (2001): "The major difference is that the Japanese
      demonstrated the incorporation of FA and its metabolites
      into the placenta and fetus.
      The quantity of radioactivity remaining in maternal and fetal tissues
      at 48 hours was 26.9 % of the administered dose." [ Ref. 14-16 ]

      Arch Environ Health 2001 Jul-Aug; 56(4): 300-11.
      Embryo toxicity and teratogenicity of formaldehyde.
      [100 references]
      Thrasher JD, Kilburn KH. toxicology@...
      Sam-1 Trust, Alto, New Mexico, USA.
      www.drthrasher.org/formaldehyde_embryo_toxicity.html
      full text

      http://www.drthrasher.org/formaldehyde_1990.html full text
      Jack Dwayne Thrasher, Alan Broughton, Roberta Madison.
      Immune activation and autoantibodies in humans
      with long-term inhalation exposure to formaldehyde.
      Archives of Environmental Health. 1990; 45: 217-223.
      "Immune activation, autoantibodies, and anti-HCHO-HSA
      antibodies are associated with long-term formaldehyde
      inhalation." PMID: 2400243

      "Of course, everyone chooses, as a natural priority, to enjoy
      peace, joy, and love by helping to find, quickly share, and positively
      act upon evidence about healthy and safe food, drink, and
      environment."

      Rich Murray, MA Room For All rmforall@...
      505-501-2298 1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505

      http://RMForAll.blogspot.com new primary archive

      group with 141 members, 1,584 posts in a public archive

      group with 1207 members, 23,867 posts in a public archive