Tony E Hugli PhD, CEO HealthAide, Inc., offers courteous detailed claims for the benefits and safety of aspartame: Rich Murray 2009.08.13

  • Rich Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2009
      Thursday, August 13, 2009

      Wednesday, August 12, 2009

      Thanks, Tony, for the honor of a vigorous, challenging response.

      You offer dazzlingly positive opportunities.

      I welcome being offered a completely new perspective.

      I hope it is OK to share it with aspartameNM and my private
      mailing list, so that many others with far more training and
      experience than me can contribute in the spirit of civil
      collaboration, based on public evidence and reason.

      I've considered for years the probability that humans have
      uniquely evolved to turn methanol into formaldehyde and
      formic acid, because of their potency against parasites,
      yeasts, fungi, bacteria, and viruses. If this is so, then there
      may be natural biological pathways used by the body to
      release formaldehyde where and when it is most effective.
      This implies some very fruitful lines of research.

      Early man imbided ethanol and methanol from fermented fruit,
      and had to tolerate the formaldehyde in wood smoke, while living
      in close, crowded quarters in caves and huts, especially in cold
      climates. Ethanol must have facilitated sociability, relaxation,
      fearlessness, play, sex, and creativity. So, it fits that groups
      in northern Europe developed cultures that made wines, beers,
      and ales, as recounted in ancient Greek, Hebrew, and Nordic

      Folic acid, prominent in fruits and vegetables, protects vegans,
      from methanol, unless the dose of methanol is too great,
      they have mutations that impede folic acid, or take any of
      the many drugs that also interfere with folic acid.

      The half-life of ethanol is about 20 minutes, while that of
      methanol is about two hours. Only after the ethanol is gone
      from the blood, can the methanol impurity then be turned into
      formaldehyde and then formic acid. After 13 hours after
      a liter of wine with 150 mg methanol is ingested, only about
      3% remains to become formaldehyde -- a methanol dose of
      about 5 mg.

      The 66 mg methanol in a typical liter of aspartame beverage
      is very quickly released into the blood -- a dose ten-fold
      larger, and about 6 times the daily indigenous methanol
      production of about 10 mg.

      I hope you will consider studying whether folic acid can prevent
      hangovers in most people from alcohol beverages -- a finding
      with enormous practical benefits.

      I also hope you will be be first to use a major database
      to study correlations of aspartame use with symptoms:

      Nurses Health Study can quickly reveal the extent of aspartame
      (methanol, formaldehyde, formic acid) toxicity:
      Murray 2004.11.21 rmforall

      Yahoo Groups allows you to search my entire archive of 1,583
      posts in a few seconds for any word.

      I have added a few posts that may contribute to your work on
      folic acid.

      I will gladly post anything you provide without editing.

      I have always hoped to help catalyze a cooperative community
      to contribute to a shared public archive for these opportunities --
      an evolving, open source, self-organizing, free public scientific

      My ambition is to be left far behind by the pack...

      In mutual service, Rich

      antiseptic? antifungal? antiviral? methanol (formaldehyde, formic
      acid) disposition: Bouchard M et al, full plain text, 2001:
      substantial sources are degradation of fruit pectins, liquors,
      aspartame, smoke: Murray 2005.01.05 rmforall

      Since no adequate data has ever been published on the
      exact disposition of toxic metabolites in specific tissues in humans
      of the 11 % methanol component of aspartame,
      the many studies on morning-after hangover from the methanol
      impurity in alcohol drinks are the main available resource to date.

      highly toxic formaldehyde, the cause of alcohol hangovers, is
      made by the body from 100 mg doses of methanol from
      dark wines and liquors, dimethyl dicarbonate, and aspartame:
      Murray 2007.08.31

      DMDC: Dimethyl dicarbonate 200mg/L in drinks
      adds methanol 98 mg/L ( becomes formaldehyde in body ):
      EU Scientific Committee on Foods 2001.07.12:
      Murray 2004.01.22

      "...DMDC was evaluated by the SCF in 1990
      and considered acceptable for
      the cold sterilization of soft drinks and fruit juices at levels of
      addition up to 250 mg/L (1)
      ...DMDC decomposes primarily to CO2 and methanol ...

      [ Note: Sterilization of bacteria and fungi is a toxic process,
      probably due to the inevitable conversion in the body of methanol
      into highly toxic formaldehyde and then formic acid. ]

      The use of 200 mg DMDC per liter would add 98 mg/L of
      methanol to wine which already contains an average of about
      40 mg/L from natural sources.

      methanol products (formaldehyde and formic acid) are main
      cause of alcohol hangover symptoms [same as from similar
      amounts of methanol, the 11% part of aspartame]:
      YS Woo et al, 2005 Dec: Murray 2006.01.20

      Addict Biol. 2005 Dec;10(4): 351-5.
      Concentration changes of methanol in blood samples during
      an experimentally induced alcohol hangover state.
      Woo YS, Yoon SJ, Lee HK, Lee CU, Chae JH, Lee CT,
      Kim DJ.
      Chuncheon National Hospital, Department of Psychiatry,
      The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea.
      http://www.cuk.ac.kr/eng/ sysop@...
      Songsin Campus: 02-740-9714
      Songsim Campus: 02-2164-4116
      Songeui Campus: 02-2164-4114
      http://www.cuk.ac.kr/eng/sub055.htm eight hospitals

      [ Han-Kyu Lee ]

      A hangover is characterized by the unpleasant physical and
      mental symptoms that occur between 8 and 16 hours after
      drinking alcohol.

      After inducing experimental hangover in normal individuals,
      we measured the methanol concentration prior to
      and after alcohol consumption
      and we assessed the association between the hangover
      condition and the blood methanol level.

      A total of 18 normal adult males participated in this study.

      They did not have any previous histories of psychiatric
      or medical disorders.

      The blood ethanol concentration prior to the alcohol intake
      (2.26+/-2.08) was not significantly different from that
      13 hours after the alcohol consumption (3.12+/-2.38).

      However, the difference of methanol concentration
      between the day of experiment (prior to the alcohol intake)
      and the next day (13 hours after the alcohol intake)
      was significant (2.62+/-1.33/l vs. 3.88+/-2.10/l, respectively).

      A significant positive correlation was observed
      between the changes of blood methanol concentration
      and hangover subjective scale score increment when covarying
      for the changes of blood ethanol level (r=0.498, p<0.05).

      This result suggests the possible correlation of methanol
      as well as its toxic metabolite to hangover. PMID: 16318957

      [ The toxic metabolite of methanol is formaldehyde, which in turn
      partially becomes formic acid -- both potent cumulative toxins
      that are the actual cause of the toxicity of methanol.]

      This study by Jones AW (1987) found next-morning hangover
      from red wine with 100 to 150 mg methanol
      (9.5 % w/v ethanol, 100 mg/l methanol, 0.01 %).
      Fully 11% of aspartame is methanol --
      1,120 mg aspartame in 2 L diet soda,
      almost six 12-oz cans, gives 123 mg methanol (wood alcohol).

      Pharmacol Toxicol. 1987 Mar; 60(3): 217-20.
      Elimination half-life of methanol during hangover.
      Jones AW. wayne.jones@...;
      Department of Forensic Toxicology,
      University Hospital, SE-581 85 Linkoping, Sweden.

      This paper reports the elimination half-life of methanol in human
      Experiments were made during the morning after the subjects had
      consumed 1000-1500 ml red wine
      (9.5 % w/v ethanol, 100 mg/l methanol)
      the previous evening. [ 100 to 150 mg methanol ]
      The washout of methanol from the body
      coincided with the onset of hangover.
      The concentrations of ethanol and methanol in blood were
      determined indirectly by analysis of end-expired alveolar air.
      In the morning when blood-ethanol dropped
      below the Km of liver alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH)
      of about 100 mg/l (2.2 mM),
      the disappearance half-life of ethanol was 21, 22, 18 and 15 min.
      in 4 test subjects respectively.
      The corresponding elimination half-lives of methanol
      were 213, 110, 133 and 142 min. in these same individuals.
      The experimental design outlined in this paper can be used
      to obtain useful data on elimination kinetics of methanol
      in human volunteers without undue ethical limitations.
      Circumstantial evidence is presented to link methanol
      or its toxic metabolic products, formaldehyde and formic acid,
      with the pathogenesis of hangover. PMID: 3588516

      Thrasher (2001): "The major difference is that the Japanese
      demonstrated the incorporation of FA and its metabolites
      into the placenta and fetus.
      The quantity of radioactivity remaining in maternal and fetal tissues
      at 48 hours was 26.9 % of the administered dose." [ Ref. 14-16 ]

      Arch Environ Health 2001 Jul-Aug; 56(4): 300-11.
      Embryo toxicity and teratogenicity of formaldehyde.
      [100 references]
      Thrasher JD, Kilburn KH. toxicology@...
      Sam-1 Trust, Alto, New Mexico, USA.
      full text

      http://www.drthrasher.org/formaldehyde_1990.html full text
      Jack Dwayne Thrasher, Alan Broughton, Roberta Madison.
      Immune activation and autoantibodies in humans
      with long-term inhalation exposure to formaldehyde.
      Archives of Environmental Health. 1990; 45: 217-223.
      "Immune activation, autoantibodies, and anti-HCHO-HSA
      antibodies are associated with long-term formaldehyde
      inhalation." PMID: 2400243

      unexamined cofactors re folic acid antagonist research include
      methanol (quickly turns into formaldehyde and then formic acid in
      humans) from tobacco and wood smoke, alcohol beverages,
      aspartame, demethylation of caffeine: Rich Murray 2008.12.01
      Monday, December 1, 2008

      Public release date: 1-Dec-2008
      Contact: Kim Barnhardt kim.barnhardt@...
      613-731-8610 x2224
      Canadian Medical Association Journal

      Maternal exposure to folic acid antagonists increases risks

      Exposure to folic acid antagonists during pregnancy is associated
      with a higher risk of placenta-mediated adverse outcomes such as
      preeclampsia, placental abruption, fetal growth restriction or fetal
      death reports a retrospective cohort study published in CMAJ
      http://www.cmaj.ca/press/pg1263.pdf .

      Folic acid antagonists include a broad range of drugs used to
      treat epilepsy, mood disorders, hypertension and infections.
      As approximately 50% of pregnancies in industrialized countries
      like Canada are unplanned, there is a risk of unintended exposure
      to these medications.

      The study, conducted by researchers from Ottawa, Montreal,
      Saskatoon and Hunan, China looked at 14,982 women who had
      taken folic acid antagonists one year prior to delivery and 59,825
      women who did not. Dr. Shi Wu Wen and co- researchers found
      that maternal exposure to folic acid antagonists was associated
      with a slightly higher risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes. They
      suggest re-classifying some folic acid antagonists and recommend
      increased folic acid supplements for women requiring folic acid
      antagonists during pregnancy.

      In a related commentary http://www.cmaj.ca/press/pg1243.pdf ,
      Dr. Joel Ray suggests the research study presents some
      "thought-provoking findings, but the results may not be ready for
      adoption by clinical practitioners or drug policy makers." He cites
      some real concerns with the study design and the need for
      clinically relevant finding as cautions about translating findings into

      free full text
      The New England Jouranal of Medicine
      Volume 343: 1608-1614 November 30, 2000 Number 22

      Folic Acid Antagonists during Pregnancy and the Risk of Birth
      Sonia Hernandez-Di­az, M.D., Dr.P.H.,
      Martha M. Werler, Sc.D.,
      Alexander M. Walker, M.D., Dr.P.H.,
      and Allen A. Mitchell, M.D.

      Multivitamin supplementation in pregnant women may reduce the
      risks of cardiovascular defects, oral clefts, and urinary tract
      defects in their infants.
      We evaluated whether the folic acid component of multivitamins
      is responsible for the reduction in risk by examining the
      associations between maternal use of folic acid antagonists and
      these congenital malformations.

      We assessed exposure to folic acid antagonists that act as
      dihydrofolate reductase inhibitors and to certain antiepileptic
      drugs in 3870 infants with cardiovascular defects,
      1962 infants with oral clefts,
      and 1100 infants with urinary tract defects
      and also in 8387 control infants with malformations the risk of
      which is not reduced after vitamin supplementation.
      Mothers were interviewed within six months after delivery
      about their medication use during pregnancy.

      The relative risks of cardiovascular defects and oral clefts
      in infants whose mothers were exposed to dihydrofolate
      reductase inhibitors during the second or third month after the
      last menstrual period, as compared with infants whose mothers
      had no such exposure, were
      3.4 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.8 to 6.4)
      and 2.6 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.1 to 6.1), respectively.
      The relative risks of cardiovascular defects, oral clefts,
      and urinary tract defects
      after maternal exposure to antiepileptic drugs were
      2.2 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.4 to 3.5),
      2.5 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.5 to 4.2),
      and 2.5 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.2 to 5.0), respectively.
      Use of multivitamin supplements containing folic acid diminished
      the adverse effects of dihydrofolate reductase inhibitors, but not
      that of antiepileptic drugs.

      Folic acid antagonists, which include such common drugs as
      trimethoprim, triamterene, carbamazepine, phenytoin,
      phenobarbital, and primidone, may increase the risk not only of
      neural-tube defects, but also of cardiovascular defects, oral clefts,
      and urinary tract defects.
      The folic acid component of multivitamins may reduce the risks
      of these defects.

      Source Information
      From the Slone Epidemiology Unit,
      Boston University School of Public Health,
      Brookline, Mass. (S.H.-D., M.M.W., A.A.M.);
      and the Department of Epidemiology,
      Harvard School of Public Health, Boston (S.H.-D., A.M.W.).

      Address reprint requests to Dr. Hernandez-Di­az
      at the Slone Epidemiology Unit,
      Boston University School of Public Health, 1371 Beacon St.,
      Brookline, MA 02446, or at shernan@... .

      methanol impurity in alcohol drinks [ and aspartame ] is turned into
      neurotoxic formic acid, prevented by folic acid, re Fetal Alcohol
      Syndrome, BM Kapur, DC Lehotay, PL Carlen at U. Toronto,
      Alc Clin Exp Res 2007 Dec. plain text: detailed biochemistry,
      CL Nie et al. 2007.07.18: Murray 2008.02.24
      Sunday, February 24, 2008

      Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research
      Volume 31 Issue 12 Page 2114-2120, December 2007

      Bhushan M. Kapur, b.kapur@...;
      Arthur C. Vandenbroucke, PhD, FCACB
      Yana Adamchik,
      Denis C. Lehotay, dlehotay@...;
      Peter L. Carlen carlen@...;
      (2007) Formic Acid, a Novel Metabolite of Chronic Ethanol
      Abuse, Causes Neurotoxicity, Which Is Prevented by Folic Acid
      Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research
      31 (12), 2114-2120.

      Methanol is endogenously formed in the brain and is present as
      a congener in most alcoholic beverages.

      Because ethanol is preferentially metabolized over methanol
      (MeOH) by alcohol dehydrogenase, it is not surprising that
      MeOH accumulates in the alcohol-abusing population.

      This suggests that the alcohol-drinking population will have
      higher levels of MeOH's neurotoxic metabolite,
      formic acid (FA).

      FA elimination is mediated by folic acid.

      Neurotoxicity is a common result of chronic alcoholism.

      This study shows for the first time that FA, found in chronic
      alcoholics, is neurotoxic and this toxicity can be mitigated by
      folic acid administration.

      To determine if FA levels are higher in the alcohol-drinking
      population and to assess its neurotoxicity in organotypic
      hippocampal rat brain slice cultures.

      Serum and CSF FA was measured in samples from both ethanol
      abusing and control patients, who presented to a hospital
      emergency department. [ CSF = Cerebral Spinal Fluid ]

      FA's neurotoxicity and its reversibility by folic acid were
      assessed using organotypic rat brain hippocampal slice cultures
      using clinically relevant concentrations.

      Serum FA levels in the alcoholics
      (mean ± SE: 0.416 +- 0.093 mmol/l, n = 23)
      were significantly higher than in controls
      (mean ± SE: 0.154 +- 0.009 mmol/l, n = 82) (p < 0.0002).

      FA was not detected in the controls' CSF (n = 20),
      whereas it was >0.15 mmol/l in CSF of 3 of the 4 alcoholic cases.

      Low doses of FA from 1 to 5 mmol/l
      added for 24, 48 or 72 hours to the rat brain slice cultures
      caused neuronal death as measured by propidium iodide

      When folic acid (1 umol/l) was added with the FA,
      neuronal death was prevented. [ umol = micromole ]

      Formic acid may be a significant factor in the neurotoxicity
      of ethanol abuse.

      This neurotoxicity can be mitigated by folic acid administration
      at a clinically relevant dose.

      Key Words:
      Formic Acid, Folic Acid, Methanol, Neurotoxicity, Alcoholism.

      From the Department of Clinical Pathology (BMK),
      Sunnybrook Health Science
      Centre, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology,
      The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada;

      St. Michael's Hospital (ACV), Toronto, Canada;

      Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology,
      (BMK, ACV), Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto,
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada;

      Departments of Medicine (Neurology) and Physiology
      (YA, PLC), Toronto Western Research Institute,
      University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada;

      and University of Saskatchewan (DLC),
      Saskatchewan, Canada.

      Received for publication May 1, 2007;
      accepted September 24, 2007.

      Reprint requests: Dr. Bhushan M. Kapur,
      Department of Clinical Pathology,
      Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, 2075 Bayview Ave,
      Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5, Canada;
      Fax: 416-813-7562; E-mail: b.kapur@...;

      Copyright 2007 by the Research Society on Alcoholism. DOI:
      Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 2007 Dec.
      Alcohol Clin Exp Res, Vol. 31, No 12, 2007: pp 2114-2120

      NEUROTOXICITY AND BRAIN damage are common
      concomitants findings of chronic alcoholism
      (Carlen and Wilkinson, 1987; Carlen et al., 1981; Harper, 2007).

      The cause of ethanol-induced neurotoxicity is still unclear.

      We present here a novel hypothesis for neurotoxicity: increased
      formic acid (FA) levels produced from methanol (MeOH),
      whose catabolism is blocked by ethanol.

      Axelrod and Daly (1965) demonstrated the endogenous
      formation of MeOH from S-adenosylmethionine (SAM)
      in the pituitary glands of humans and various other
      mammalian species.

      Presence of MeOH in the breath of human subjects was
      reported by Ericksen and Kulkarni (1963).

      Most alcoholic beverages also have a small amount of MeOH
      as a congener (Sprung et al., 1988).

      As ethanol (EtOH) has a higher affinity for alcohol dehydrogenase
      (ADH) than MeOH, EtOH is preferentially metabolized
      (Mani et al., 1970).

      As a result, MeOH accumulation from endogenously produced
      MeOH, and/or, that consumed as part of an alcoholic beverage,
      has been reported in concentrations up to 2 mmol/l in heavy
      drinkers (Majchrowicz and Mendelson, 1971).

      Toxicity resulting from MeOH consumption is extensively
      documented in both humans and animals and has been attributed
      to its metabolite, FA (Benton and Calhoun, 1952;
      Roe, 1946, 1955; Wood, 1912; Wood and Buller, 1904).

      The rate of formate oxidation and elimination is dependent on
      adequate levels of hepatic folic acid,
      particularly hepatic tetrahydrofolate (THF)
      (Johlin et al., 1987; Tephly and McMartin, 1974).

      Significantly higher formate levels were obtained when
      folate-deficient animals were exposed to MeOH as compared
      with folate-sufficient animals
      (Lee et al., 1994; McMartin et al., 1975; Noker et al., 1980).

      To understand ethanol's toxicity, one must consider FA
      produced from MeOH,
      and its elimination mediated by folic acid.

      We postulate that in the chronically drinking patient, we will
      find higher levels of FA than in the nondrinking population,
      and that formate is neurotoxic.

      We also hypothesize that treatment with folic acid,
      which is a critical factor in the catabolism of FA,
      can prevent or diminish FA neurotoxicity.

      detailed critiques of JE Garst folic acid proposals by experts
      HJ Roberts and M Alemany: Murray 2008.03.20
      Thursday, March 20, 2008

      RE: 5 mg folic acid helps methanol to not form toxic
      formaldehyde and formic acid -- no effect re formaldehyde
      from methanol in human breast and arterial epithelial
      tissue: Garth: Monte 2008.03.19
      Wednesday, March 19, 2008

      5 mg folic acid helps methanol to not form toxic formaldehyde
      and formic acid, but most research has neglected folic acid
      deficiency re cancer, birth defects, and neurotoxicity -- flaws
      in many studies on aspartame -- breakthrough insights by
      John E Garst, PhD toxicologist: Murray 2008.03.19
      Wednesday, March 19, 2008

      details on 6 epidemiological studies since 2004 on diet soda
      (mainly aspartame) correlations, as well as 14 other mainstream
      studies on aspartame toxicity since summer 2005:
      Murray 2007.11.18
      Wednesday, November 14, 2007

      old tiger roars -- Woodrow C Monte, PhD -- aspartame causes
      many breast cancers, as ADH enzyme in breasts makes methanol
      from diet soda into carcinogenic formaldehyde -- same in dark
      wines and liquors, Fitness Life 2008 Jan.: Murray 2008.02.11
      Monday, February 11, 2008

      role of formaldehyde, made by body from methanol from foods
      and aspartame, in steep increases in fetal alcohol syndrome,
      autism, multiple sclerosis, lupus, teen suicide, breast cancer,
      Nutrition Prof. Woodrow C. Monte, retired, Arizona State U.,
      two reviews, 190 references supplied, Fitness Life,
      New Zealand 2007 Nov, Dec: Murray 2007.12.26
      Wednesday, December 26 2007

      Monte WC., Is your Diet Sweetener killing you?
      Fitness Life. 2007 Nov; 33: 31-33.
      Monte WC., A Deadly Experiment.
      Fitness Life. 2007 Dec; 34: 38-42.
      Monte WC., Bittersweet: Aspartame Breast Cancer Link.
      Fitness Life. 2008 Feb; 34: 21-22.

      Article 1 http://www.thetruthaboutstuff.com/review1.shtml
      Article 2 http://www.thetruthaboutstuff.com/review2.shtml
      Article 3 http://www.thetruthaboutstuff.com/review3.shtml

      223 references with abstracts or full and partial texts

      [ Can anyone find this citation? ]

      ASE 3.3.1.
      "Exposure to Formaldehyde From Methanol in Aspartame

      As is described later, methanol is metabolized to formaldehyde,
      which is rapidly further metabolized."

      "For example, the demethylation of the caffeine found in one cup
      of coffee produces 30 mg of formaldehyde (Imbus, 1988)."

      ASE 151. Imbus, H. R. (1988) A review of regulatory risk
      assessment with formaldehyde as an example.
      Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology 8 , pp. 356-366.
      [ crossref ]

      [ http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:3905920 [ not in PubMed ]

      J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1985 Dec; 76(6):831-40
      3905920 (P,S,G,E,B)
      Clinical evaluation of patients with complaints related to
      formaldehyde exposure.
      H R Imbus

      Formaldehyde is a very widely used chemical in our present
      society and one with which every physician has had a first-hand
      experience in his early days of training in the anatomy laboratory.

      The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health lists 52
      occupations that expose people to formaldehyde.
      In recent years, however, the increasing use of formaldehyde
      resins in the production of building materials such as particleboard
      and urea-formaldehyde foam insulation has resulted in exposures
      of large numbers of people in nonoccupational settings.

      Consumer products such as cosmetics, cigarettes, textiles,
      furniture, draperies, and preservatives release formaldehyde.

      It is present in the outdoor atmosphere from products of
      combustion and automobile exhaust and likewise in the home
      from such things as gas cooking.

      These more widespread and increased exposures have resulted
      in concern regarding potential health effects.
      Therefore, it is likely that physicians have or will encounter patients
      who wish evaluations of a present or potential health effect from
      This article is for the purpose of providing assistance in such
      Mesh-terms: Acute Disease; Animals; Asthma :: chemically induced;
      Chronic Disease; Dermatitis, Contact :: etiology;
      Drug Hypersensitivity :: diagnosis;
      Drug Hypersensitivity :: etiology; Environmental Exposure;
      Formaldehyde :: toxicity; Human; Mice;
      Occupational Diseases :: chemically induced;
      Radioimmunoassay; Rats; Respiratory Function Tests;
      Respiratory Hypersensitivity :: diagnosis;
      Skin Tests; Time Factors;

      http://www.nclabor.com/osha/etta/indguide/ig31.pdf 38 page
      A Guide to Formaldehyde 1988 July H. R. Imbus
      Health & Hygiene, Inc.
      420 Gallimore Dairy Road, Greensboro, NC 27409

      Merger Information

      Impact Health Services, Inc. Merged with Health & Hygiene/ELB

      In June, 1998, Impact Health Services, Inc., was merged with
      U.S. HealthWorks, parent company of Health & Hygiene/ELB.
      Impact Health Services is the largest mobile testing company
      providing hearing and respiratory surveillance services
      throughout the country.
      Founded in 1972, and operating out of Kansas City,
      Missouri, Impact has grown to serve over 5,000 client sites
      in all the 48 continental United States.

      Headquartered in Greensboro, North Carolina,
      Health & Hygiene/ELB, which was merged with
      U.S. HealthWorks in 1996, is one of the country's
      largest safety and health consulting companies
      offering consulting, training, products and services
      in the areas of industrial hygiene, occupational safety and
      ergonomics, training, occupational health, hearing conservation,
      respiratory surveillance, and OSHA compliance.

      As a result of the recent merger,
      Health & Hygiene/ELB and Impact Health Services
      have been merged to form
      U.S. HealthWorks-Preventive Services Division.
      U.S. HealthWorks has appointed Jeffrey C. Morrill,
      formerly CEO of Impact, as
      President of the new Preventive Services Division,
      Susan Megerson, formerly President of Impact,
      will be managing on-site testing operations,
      and Hank Barnum, formerly
      Sr. V.P.-Operations of Health & Hygiene/ELB,
      will be managing consulting operations.

      Company Overview

      U.S. HealthWorks-Preventive Services is the nation's largest
      training and consulting firm assisting employers and employer
      associations with the safety and health concerns of their
      We are now also the nation's largest provider of on-site medical
      surveillance and training services.
      Our mission is to reduce absenteeism and its inherent costs by
      helping to provide a workplace free of injuries and illnesses.

      This is accomplished by assisting with regulatory compliance
      programs (OSHA, DOT, JCAHO, EPA, etc.) and other
      preventative measures such as training, loss control,
      and elimination of substance abuse.

      Workplace absenteeism due to injuries and illnesses represents
      an enormous cost to employers in wages for the absent employee
      and replacement employee, medical costs, workers compensation
      premiums, regulatory fines, legal expenses, retraining and
      U.S. HealthWorks-Preventive Services strives to significantly
      reduce these costs by emphasizing preventative services and

      Services Include:

      * Occupational Medicine
      * Ergonomics Consultation
      * Industrial Hygiene
      * Hearing Conservation
      * Respiratory Surveillance
      * On-Site Medical Monitoring
      -Audiometric Testing - Exclusive TTC -Test, Train Counsel
      -Pulmonary Testing
      -Medical Clearance for Respirator Use
      -Respirator Fit Testing
      * Health Management Software & Equipment
      * Safety Services
      * TIOSH -- Training Institute for Occupational Safety & Health
      * Data Management
      * On-Site Employee Training
      * Customized Hearing Protection and Communication Devices
      * Network of Occupational Health Clinics

      420 Gallimore Dairy Road
      Greensboro, NC 27409
      Phone 336-665-1818
      Fax 336-665-0847
      Revised June 25, 1998 ]

      opportunities re BA Magnuson, GA Burdock et al., Aspartame
      Safety Evaluation 2007 Sept., Critical Reviews in Toxicology:
      Rich Murray 2008.07.11
      Friday, July 11, 2008

      Bernadene A. Magnuson,
      George A. Burdock,
      John Doull,
      Robert M. Kroes, [deceased]
      Gary M. Marsh,
      Michael W. Pariza,
      Peter S. Spencer,
      William J. Waddell,
      Ronald Walker,
      Gary Murray Williams.
      "Aspartame: A Safety Evaluation Based on Current Use Levels,
      Regulations, and Toxicological and Epidemiological Studies,"
      Critical Reviews in Toxicology,
      37(8), 629-727, 2007 Sept [415 references]

      Bernadene A. Magnuson, Ph.D.
      Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Nutritional Sciences
      Senior Scientific and Regulatory Consultant,
      Cantox Health Science International,
      2233 Argentia Road, Suite 308, Mississauga, ON L5N 2X7
      Tel: (905) 542 2900 Fax: (905) 542 1011

      Tony E. Hugli has 226 items in PubMed.

      www.dermazaide.com/partnership.htm - [Cached Version]
      Last Visited: 7/4/2009

      # If you represent a skin care development and marketing company
      and would like to learn more about partnership opportunities please
      contact: Dr. Tony Hugli, CEO, HealthAide, Inc. (858) 455-3892

      # New company explores novel therapeutic uses for... --
      [Cached Version] Published on: 8/27/2004 Last Visited: 6/29/2005

      According to HealthAide CEO Dr. Tony E. Hugli, the company will
      investigate a wide variety of health and medical applications for the
      sweetener ."Many of the applications that we have planned are
      enhancements of existing brand-name products that are already
      generating multi-million dollar annual sales," he said. ...
      CEO Hugli expects that this edge will translate into dollars and cents
      on the company's bottom line."HealthAide will have very low
      overhead and operational expenses, which affords us the opportunity
      to become profitable sooner than is normally expected," he said.

      HealthAide's management team consists of:
      CEO: Dr. Tony E. Hugli,
      Scientific Director, California Toxicology Research Institute

      # View Online Source
      Scientific Advisory Board - Antigen Express - [Cached Version]
      Published on: 3/25/2006 Last Visited: 6/25/2009
      Tony Hugli, Ph.D. Director,
      Department of Immunological Toxicology,
      Califormia Toxicology Research Institute

      Patent title: Multifunctional and combinational application
      aspartame and or futhan
      Inventors: Tony E. Hugli, John E. Adams
      Agents: Martin G. Ozinga;Phillips Murrah, P.C.
      Origin: OKLAHOMA CITY, OK US
      IPC8 Class: AA61K3124FI
      USPC Class: 514542

      The present invention is an application, composition, and method of
      using a pharmaceutically effective amount of aspartame or its primary
      metabolite aspartyl-phenylalanine in systematic and periodic
      application or dose as an aspirin (NSAID) substitute, treatment for
      osteoporosis, and or topical treatment for Rosacea.

      1. A method for treating rosacea in a patient comprising administering
      to a patient suffering from rosacea a pharmaceutically effective amount
      of aspartame.

      2. A method for treating osteoporoses in a patient comprising
      administering to a patient suffering from osteoporoses a
      pharmaceutically effective amount of aspartame.

      3. A method of substituting aspartame for aspirin in a patient
      comprising administering to a patient a pharmaceutically effective
      amount of aspartame instead of aspirin.

      [0001] Priority is claimed from provisional patent applications
      U.S. Ser. No. 60/964,987, filed on Aug. 16, 2007,
      and U.S. Ser. No. 60/962,651, filed on Jul. 31, 2007
      and incorporated by reference herein.

      [0002] 1. Field of the Invention

      [0003] In general, the present invention is an application,
      composition, and method of using the dipeptide ester aspartame.

      More in particular, the present invention is a systematic and
      periodic application of aspartyl-phenylalanyl methyl ester,
      hereinafter referred to generally as aspartame, as a topical
      formulation and/or an oral formulation for applications utilizing
      aspartame beneficial analgesia, anti-inflammatory, osteoporosis,
      anti-platelet blood thinning effects and combinations thereof.

      It is understood that the current invention may provide a
      pharmaceutically effective amount of aspartame or its primary
      metabolite aspartyl-phenylalanine as an aspirin (NSAID)
      substitute as well as enhance calcium solubility, bio-availability,
      absorption, mineral transfer and bone growth for animals and
      humans as will be described in greater detail below.

      It is also contemplated a pharmaceutically effective amount of
      aspartame may be utilized for a topical application for rosacea
      in specific......

      Addressing the Potential Side Effects of Aspartame

      [0092] Besides addressing the very real problem of Phenylketouria,
      and indicating that Aspartame should not be used by individuals with
      this condition, there is a major problem associated with claims of
      Aspartame being dangerous. The main danger that is cited is that the
      breakdown product methanol can be converted (oxidized) to
      formaldehyde and large quantities of formaldehyde can be toxic.
      These are not biochemically sound assertions and clinical studies
      have widely refuted these claims, however the damage has been
      done in terms of the general public's perception of the compound.

      [0093] The body has several metabolic pathways to deal with both
      methanol and formaldehyde, which is found in many foods and are
      essential at normal dietary levels. A major pathway is called the
      "single carbon metabolism pathway" and it is an essential pathway
      for building both protein (i.e. certain amino acids) and nucleic acids.
      In fact, when the single carbon pathway dysfunctions humans become

      [0094] The single carbon pathway actually utilizes formaldehyde
      that is primarily made in the body.
      The process involves a vitamin called Folic Acid.
      The folic acid is reduced to Tertrahydrofolic Acid by reducing agents
      such as ascorbic acid or Vitamin C. See FIG. 4.
      In the tetrahydrofolic acid, this compound chemically reacts with
      formaldehyde at two sites, the N5 and N10 positions.
      This effectively removes formaldehyde from the body or from
      embodiment of the invention and the body uses it either for the
      metabolism of other body molecules or it is excreted.
      In either case, this is a method to detoxify both methanol and

      [0095] It is therefore contemplated the above embodiments may
      utilize the addition of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and folic acid along
      with aspartame.
      It is contemplated this may keep the levels of methanol and
      formaldehyde low and avoid any side effects from the normal
      breakdown of dipeptide ester.
      Since both of these ingredients are inexpensive, it may be a
      convenient way to effectively neutralize the urban myths about
      aspartame being potentially dangerous......

      "Of course, everyone chooses, as a natural priority, to enjoy
      peace, joy, and love by helping to find, quickly share, and positively
      act upon evidence about healthy and safe food, drink, and

      Rich Murray, MA Room For All rmforall@...
      505-501-2298 1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505

      http://RMForAll.blogspot.com new primary archive

      group with 141 members, 1,583 posts in a public archive

      group with 1207 members, 23,863 posts in a public archive