aspartame reactors may send detailed feedback to Andrew Wadge, UK Food Standards Agency to guide new pilot study re bad reactions: Rich Murray 2009.06.22

  • Rich Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2009
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.htm
      Monday, June 22, 2009
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1577

      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1194786/Aspartame-investigated-decade-claims-harms-health.html

      Aspartame to be investigated after decade of claims it harms health
      By Sean Poulter
      Last updated at 11:29 PM on 22nd June 2009

      Aspartame, found in diet and other soft drinks, will be investigated
      after claims it causes nasty side effects such as headaches and
      stomach upsets

      Allegations that the artificial sweetener aspartame is linked to
      headaches and stomach upsets are to be investigated.
      The Food Standards Agency say the sweetener, marketed as
      Nutrasweet and Canderel, is safe.
      However it has ordered a probe into consumer concerns.
      The Agency's chief scientist Andrew Wadge, said:
      'This research is not to test the safety of aspartame -- that
      is already established.

      'The study will address consumer concerns, including anecdotal
      reports that have linked a range of conditions to aspartame.

      'The Agency's view remains that aspartame can be consumed
      safely and we are not recommending any changes to its current use.
      'However, we know that some people consider they react badly to
      consuming this sweetener so we think it is important to increase our
      knowledge about what is happening.'
      The pilot study will start next month and will be used to inform the
      design and feasibility of a proposed study led by the European Food
      Safety Authority.
      In May 2006, EFSA rejected a study by Italian scientists which
      named aspartame as a cancer risk.

      The watchdog said the study identifying a risk of leukaemia, kidney
      and other cancers was flawed.

      Subsequently, the author of the research, Dr Morandi Soffritti
      of the Ramazzini Foundation, stood by his team's findings
      and called for further research.
      A number of UK retailers, including Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's
      and Asda, have voluntarily withdrawn aspartame from their
      own-label products as part of a wider drive to reduce the use of
      artificial additives.
      Aspartame manufacturers claimed the Food Standards Agency
      was bowing to scare mongering rather than making decisions
      based on science.

      A spokesman for the Aspartame Information Service, funded
      by manufacturer Ajinomoto, said she was puzzled as to why the
      Agency is spending public money on the new research.
      The organisation issued a statement saying: 'Aspartame, like all
      low-calorie sweeteners, is approved for use in the European Union
      under the terms of the European Sweetener Directive.

      'In May 2006, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)
      stated: "There is no need to further review the safety of aspartame."
      'It is, therefore, surprising that the Food Standards Agency has
      announced that it is starting work on a further study on aspartame.
      'Large scale quantified consumer research commissioned by
      Ajinomoto and conducted by ICM Research has shown that there
      is no significant level of consumer concern about low calorie
      sweeteners in general or aspartame in particular.'
      It added: 'Aspartame, which is made from two amino acids, is
      digested just like any other protein and its components are treated
      by the body in exactly the same way as the same components
      in foods like meat, fish, eggs, milk and fruit juice.
      It tastes like sugar and enables food and drink companies to
      provide many popular low-calorie and sugar-reduced products.

      'Sales of products sweetened with aspartame have grown steadily
      since the ingredient was introduced in 1983.

      'The FSA has explained its actions by referring to "anecdotal reports
      that have linked a range of conditions to aspartame". These include
      rumours circulated on the internet by scaremongers and
      conspiracy-theorists, mostly from the United States.

      'In August 2007, the New Zealand Food Safety Authority, faced
      with the same absurd allegations, stated: 'The claims being made
      -- and widely reported in the media -- are doing a great public
      disservice. The fact is, a large amount of very good science shows
      that aspartame is a very safe substance.

      'Studies that purport to show otherwise have thus far been
      overwhelmingly rejected by leading food safety authorities as flawed.'

      http://www.fsascience.net/

      As the Food Standards Agency's Chief Scientist, I want this blog
      to show the importance of good science and how we use it to
      inform FSA policies and advice.

      I'll be using the blog to let you know what I and my scientist
      colleagues at the Agency are up to, what the emerging issues
      are, and how we propose handling them.

      Your feedback is important, so please submit any thoughts,
      comments or questions you have about our postings.

      Andrew Wadge, Chief Scientist,
      Food Standards Agency, London WC2B 6NH
      andrew.wadge@...

      http://www.fsascience.net/2009/06/22/anecdotes_science_and_aspartame

      Anecdotes, science and aspartame

      Posted by Andrew Wadge on June 22nd 2009
      in Science, safety and health blog [ comments accepted ]

      What role does 'anecdotal evidence' play in science?
      Truly anecdotal evidence is not evidence in the scientific sense,
      it's observation, it's often subjective, and the effects seen may
      be due to a number of factors all varying at the same time.
      Observation can help us towards understanding certain issues,
      but is a first step towards a testable hypothesis, not an end in itself.

      Therefore, anecdotal reports do sometimes deserve closer
      examination, especially when a number of unrelated people
      are reporting similar things. As a science based organisation,
      the Agency pays close attention to scientific evidence, but
      sometimes the anecdotal reports we receive are persistent
      enough to make us feel we need to take a closer look at
      people's concerns.

      This is the case with a pilot study we are starting today,
      which looks at the artificial sweetener aspartame.
      Some people have reported bad reactions after consuming
      food and drink containing this additive.
      The reactions include headaches and upset stomachs.

      Numerous pieces of research and risk assessments
      over the years have shown that aspartame can be consumed safely,
      but the reports of bad reactions persist. Given this continuing
      anecdotal evidence, we feel it's appropriate to see if we can find
      out more about why people report these effects.

      To do this, our pilot study will focus specifically on those people
      who have reported bad reactions. Results from this work will be
      used to inform the design and feasibility of a proposed study led
      by the European Food Safety Authority.

      If you have experienced bad reactions and would like to take
      part in the study, then please contact the Agency though the
      following address: aspartame@...

      This does not, however, change our general advice on aspartame.
      We are confident it can be consumed safely and we are not
      recommending any changes to its current use.

      UK Food Standards Agency, Main site www.food.gov.uk

      http://www.fsascience.net/terms_and_conditions

      Terms and Conditions

      Comments Policy:
      These are standard rules about comments posted to this blog.
      They are designed to ensure participants feel safe, keen to take
      part again and the blog keeps to its focus:

      1. Debate should be lively but also constructive and respectful.
      2. Don't incite hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender,
      nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic.
      3. Don't swear, use hate-speech or make obscene
      or vulgar comments.
      4. Don't break the law.
      This includes libel, condoning illegal activity and contempt of court
      (comments which might affect the outcome of an approaching
      court case).
      5. Don't engage in 'spamming'.
      Don't advertise products or services.
      6. If you are under 16, please get permission from a parent or
      guardian before commenting on this blog.
      7. Don't impersonate or falsely claim to represent a person or
      organisation.
      8. Don't post in a language other than English.
      We hope in the future to be able to support translation.
      9. Protect your privacy and that of others.
      Please don't post private addresses, phone numbers, email
      addresses or other online contact details.
      10. Stay on-topic.
      Please don't post messages that are unrelated to this blog.

      Comments are moderated before going live.
      Comments will go live as soon as possible within a 48 hour period.
      If a comment contravenes the discussion rules it will not be
      published or will be removed from the blog.

      Content Disclaimer:
      Views expressed by authors (or 'bloggers') are theirs alone
      and do not represent the views of the FSA.

      Copyright and neighbouring rights:
      You own the copyright in your postings, articles and pictures,
      but you also agree to grant the FSA a perpetual, royalty-free,
      non-exclusive, sublicenseable right and license to use, reproduce,
      modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from,
      distribute, perform, play, and exercise all copyright and publicity
      rights with respect to any such work worldwide and/or to
      incorporate it in other works in any media now known or later
      developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in
      such content.
      If you do not wish to grant such rights to the FSA, it is suggested
      that you do not submit your comment to this site.

      You should remember that you are legally responsible
      for what you write.
      By submitting a comment you undertake to indemnify the FSA
      against any liability arising from breach of confidentiality or
      copyright, or any obscene, defamatory, seditious, blasphemous
      or other actionable statement you may make.

      The copying and use of the FSA logo and other FSA-related logos
      is not permitted without prior approval of the FSA.

      Virus protection:
      The site operators make every effort to check and test material
      at all stages of production. It is always wise for users to run an
      anti virus program on all material downloaded from the internet.

      The FSA cannot accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption
      or damage to your data or your computer system which may
      occur whilst using material from the FSA website.

      Your privacy:
      Cookies are pieces of data that are often created when you visit a
      website and are stored in the cookie directory
      of your own computer.

      Cookies are used to store a session ID which allows you to log-in
      and make comments.
      No personal information is stored in the Cookie.

      Other websites linked from this site are not covered by this
      privacy policy.

      This site does require a user to enter a name and working email
      address in order to post a comment on this blog.
      This information is securely stored and will not be passed on to
      any third parties.

      This weblog is being evaluated by the independent, non-partisan
      Hansard Society ( www.hansardsociety.org.uk ) as part of the
      Digital Dialogues pilot evaluation.

      Researchers from the Hansard Society have been given permission
      to contact people who read and post on this weblog for the specific
      purposes of gathering feedback about your use of the site.
      Contact will be via email and you are not obliged to take part,
      though your participation would be appreciated.
      All responses will be anonymised and any personal information
      will be deleted at the close of the research.

      The evaluation will be available in the public domain.

      Links to and from other websites:
      FSA is not responsible for the contents or reliability of the external
      websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed
      within them.
      Links to external sites should not be taken as endorsement
      of any kind.
      We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and
      we have no control over the availability of the linked pages.

      FSA encourages users to establish hypertext links to the site.
      You do not have to ask permission to link directly to pages
      hosted on the website.
      We do not object to you linking directly to our information, but
      you should obtain permission if you intend to use our logo.

      Archives:
      * November 2006 to * June 2009

      Blog Feedback Surveys:
      The purpose of this survey is to find out what you think of the
      FSA blog. Hansard Society Feedback Survey

      Categories:
      Food fraud General interest New initiatives Out and about Science,
      safety and health Science in Government
      Supporting consumer choice Updates

      Links:
      * David Miliband's blog
      * Food Standards Agency
      * Royal Institution of Great Britain
      * Royal Society
      * Science Media Centre
      * Select Committee on Science and Technology

      http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/338/jan28_1/b299

      Published 28 January 2009, doi:10.1136/bmj.b299
      Cite this as: BMJ 2009;338:b299
      Letters
      Caffeine in pregnancy
      Food Standard Agency's advice on caffeine
      The first 100% of the full text of this article appears below.

      The Food Standards Agency's new advice to women on the
      amount of caffeine they should consume during pregnancy was not
      based on the results of its funded research alone.1, 2

      The independent experts on the Committee on Toxicity, after
      considering the results of this new study, as well as all of the other
      studies that have been published in peer reviewed literature on this
      subject, concluded that caffeine intake during pregnancy is
      associated with an increased risk of fetal growth restriction.

      On the basis of this risk assessment considering all of the available
      information, the Food Standards Agency has changed its advice.

      Full details of the search strategies, literature reviewed, and key
      studies considered are described in the Committee on Toxicity's
      statement.3

      Cite this as: BMJ 2009;338:b299

      Andrew Wadge, chief scientist 1

      1 Food Standards Agency, London WC2B 6NH

      andrew.wadge@...
      Competing interests: None declared.

      1. CARE Study Group. Maternal caffeine intake during pregnancy
      and risk of fetal growth restriction: a large prospective
      observational study. BMJ 2008;337;a2332. (3 November.)
      2. Geleijnse JM. Cut caffeine in pregnancy? BMJ 2009;337:b300.
      3. Committee on Toxicity. COT statement on the reproductive
      effects of caffeine.
      http://cot.food.gov.uk/cotstatements/cotstatementsyrs/cotstatements2008/cot200804

      formaldehyde in FEMA trailers and other sources (aspartame,
      dark wines and liquors, tobacco smoke): Murray 2008.01.30
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.htm
      Wednesday, January 30, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1508

      The FEMA trailers give about the same amount of formaldehyde
      daily as from a quart of dark wine or liquor, or two quarts
      (6 12-oz cans) of aspartame diet soda, from their over 1 tenth
      gram methanol impurity (one part in 10,000),
      which the body quickly makes into formaldehyde -- enough
      to be the major cause of "morning after" alcohol hangovers.

      Methanol and formaldehyde also result from many fruits and
      vegetables, tobacco and wood smoke, heater and vehicle exhaust,
      household chemicals and cleaners, cosmetics, and new cars,
      drapes, carpets, furniture, particleboard, mobile homes, buildings,
      leather ... so all these sources add up and interact with many other
      toxic chemicals.

      formaldehyde, aspartame, and migraines, the first case series,
      Sharon E Jacob-Soo, Sarah A Stechschulte, UCSD, Dermatitis
      2008 May: Rich Murray 2008.07.18
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.htm
      Friday, July 18, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1553

      Dermatitis. 2008 May-Jun; 19(3): E10-1.
      Formaldehyde, aspartame, and migraines: a possible connection.
      Jacob SE, Stechschulte S.
      Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery,
      University of Miami, Miami, FL, USA.

      Aspartame is a widely used artificial sweetener that has been
      linked to pediatric and adolescent migraines.

      Upon ingestion, aspartame is broken, converted, and oxidized into
      formaldehyde in various tissues.

      We present the first case series of aspartame-associated migraines
      related to clinically relevant positive reactions to formaldehyde on
      patch testing. PMID: 18627677

      formaldehyde from many sources, including aspartame, is major
      cause of Allergic Contact Dermatitis, SE Jacob, T Steele,
      G Rodriguez, Skin and Aging 2005 Dec.: Murray 2008.03.27
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.htm
      Thursday, March 27, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1533

      "For example, diet soda and yogurt containing aspartame
      (Nutrasweet), release formaldehyde in their natural biological
      degradation.

      One of aspartame's metabolites, aspartic acid methyl ester, is
      converted to methanol in the body, which is oxidized to
      formaldehyde in all organs, including the liver and eyes. 22

      Patients with a contact dermatitis to formaldehyde have been
      seen to improve once aspartame is avoided. 22

      Notably, the case that Hill and Belsito reported had a 6-month
      history of eyelid dermatitis that subsided after 1 week
      of avoiding diet soda. 22"

      Avoiding formaldehyde allergic reactions in children, aspartame,
      vitamins, shampoo, conditioners, hair gel, baby wipes,
      Sharon E Jacob, MD, Tace Steele, U. Miami, Pediatric Annals
      2007 Jan.: eyelid contact dermatitis, AM Hill, DV Belsito,
      2003 Nov.: Murray 2008.03.27
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.htm
      Thursday, March 27, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1532

      Sharon E. Jacob, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
      (Dermatology), University of California, San Diego
      200 W. Arbor Drive #8420, San Diego, CA 92103-8420
      Tel: 858-552-8585 ×3504 Fax: 305-675-8317
      sjacob@...;

      Wednesday, January 30, 2008

      details on 6 epidemiological studies since 2004 on diet soda (mainly
      aspartame) correlations, as well as 14 other mainstream studies
      on aspartame toxicity since summer 2005: Murray 2007.11.27

      aspartame groups and books:
      updated research review of 2004.07.16: Murray 2006.05.11

      opportunities re BA Magnuson, GA Burdock et al., Aspartame
      Safety Evaluation 2007 Sept., Critical Reviews in Toxicology:
      Rich Murray 2008.07.11
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.htm
      Friday, July 11, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1550

      "Of course, everyone chooses, as a natural priority, to enjoy
      peace, joy, and love by helping to find, quickly share, and positively
      act upon evidence about healthy and safe food, drink, and
      environment."

      Rich Murray, MA Room For All rmforall@...
      505-501-2298 1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505

      http://RMForAll.blogspot.com new primary archive

      group with 140 members, 1,577 posts in a public archive

      group with 1206 members, 23,560 posts in a public archive