30 female pet store rats drinking lifelong 13.5 mg aspartame, 1/3 packet of Equal, had 33% with obvious tumors, Victoria Inness-Brown: Murra

  • Rich Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2008
      30 female pet store rats drinking lifelong 13.5 mg aspartame, 1/3 packet of
      Equal, had 33% with obvious tumors -- also bulging, sick, and missing eyes,
      paralysis, obesity, skin sores -- agrees with Ramazzini Foundation results,
      Victoria Inness-Brown: Murray 2008.02.15
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
      Friday, February 15, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1521

      [ Rich Murray: I have corrected typos and minor factual errors, and
      increased spacing of lines to increase readability. My comments are
      in square brackets.

      Others are invited to submit civil, relevant, reason and evidence
      based feedback, both positive and, especially, negative, since science
      thrives on public critical collaboration, to
      aspartameNM@yahoogroups.com .

      Overall, the results agree broadly with the many Ramazzini results for
      lifetime exposures of lab rats to aspartame, methanol, and
      formaldehyde.

      http://www.equal.com/faq/faq.html#9

      Equal Packets contain: dextrose with maltodextrin, aspartame

      http://www.karlloren.com/Diabetes/p40b.htm

      EHPP Nutrition Notes Newsletter Vol. 1 No. 3
      Originally written: August 3, 2000
      ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS -- What's out There?

      One packet of the sweetener contains 37 mg of aspartame
      and 12 ounces of diet soda contains about 200 mg of aspartame.

      By this standard, a person who weighs 60 kg (~132 pounds)
      could consume 3000 mg of aspartame
      or 3 grams (a total of 12 calories) daily.

      This is the equivalent of 81 packets of Equal
      or 15 cans of diet soda (180 fluid ounces).

      Some other questions:

      toxic impurities in city drinking water and the pet food?

      any risks of toxic mold, or formaldehyde from building materials,
      paints, cleaners, furniture, particleboard, wood stoves? ]

      http://www.myaspartameexperiment.com/index.php

      "Even though I had read the Bressler Report,
      I was struck by the number and size of the growths.
      Eleven females and one male developed tumors.
      That's 37% of the females on aspartame."
      [ 36.7 % F, 3.3 % M ]

      "1. Three female rats in the control group of 48
      had small tumors." [ 12.5 % F ]

      "Form of aspartame

      NutraSweet dissolved in drinking water, available 24 hours per day.

      Dosage

      Two packets of NutraSweet per eight ounces of water
      (about 80 mg of aspartame per each eight ounces);
      about 34 mg/kg of aspartame for males; 45 mg/kg for females.
      [ How much water did the rats drink daily?
      Did this change over time or by symptoms? ]

      Duration

      Two years, eight months
      (about 138 weeks, where one month = about 4.3 weeks);
      until the spontaneous death of the animals.

      Rat strain

      Bred from two males, two females,
      each from different varieties of PetCo rats,
      including the Sprague Dawley strain.
      Maintained a genetic mix throughout the breeding,
      avoided mating brothers and sisters, mothers and sons,
      fathers and daughters.

      Number of rats in study

      Experimental group of 30 males, 30 females.
      Control group of 24 males, 24 females;
      a total of 108 rats."

      "The animals in my study weighed on the average
      of 1 pound for males and 0.66 pounds for females.
      The ADI for the males was 16.9 mg
      and for the females 13.5 mg.

      To put these numbers into perspective,
      the aspartame received by my rats daily,
      was equivalent to two-thirds the aspartame
      contained in 8-oz of diet soda."
      [ 1/3 packet of Equal for females ]

      "I found most of the observable symptoms occurred
      during the last third of the rat's life-span,
      illuminating the information that the adverse effects of aspartame
      are cumulative.

      I chose to allow my rats to live out their natural lives.
      I honor them for their sacrifice
      and for showing the way for the rest of us.

      I put NutraSweet in their water starting in March, 2002,
      and the last of them died in November 2004.
      The experiment lasted a total of two years, eight months."

      MY ASPARTAME EXPERIMENT

      BY VICTORIA INNESS-BROWN, M.A.

      A FEMALE RAT DEVELOPED A MAMMARY TUMOR
      SO LARGE SHE OFTEN USED IT AS A PILLOW
      [ large color photo, 600X383 pixels 58 KB -- like
      the others on pages 1-6 ]

      Introduction by author Carol Guilford

      "In any such study of even a few hundred test animals,
      it takes no more than a dozen or so of them
      to exhibit a particular lesion. to associate with the test agent, i.e., aspartame or its related chemicals."

      Dr. Adrian Gross, FDA toxicologist in a letter to
      Senator Howard Metzenbaum, Oct. 30, 1986.

      When Victoria Inness-Brown contacted me about
      "explosive information" concerning aspartame (Equal,NutraSweet),
      the controversial, artificial, chemical sweetener,
      I didn't know what to expect.

      Despite overwhelming scientific evidence of aspartame's danger
      to human health (tires have been recalled for less), it remains in
      6,000 food, drink and medicinal products.

      Who could imagine a private citizen would do an aspartame
      experiment with 108 rats for 2 years and 8 months?

      The late Dr. Adrian Gross explained that rodent experiments are
      the means to find out what a particular substance will do
      to human beings.

      Look at Victoria's pictures of her animals that ingested the
      equivalent amount of aspartame (in human terms)
      of less than one diet coke a day, until their spontaneous death.

      Importantly, the control groups, those fed no aspartame were
      [ almost ] free from visible effects. (1)

      The artificial sweetener, Aspartame, was approved by the FDA,
      in 1981. By the 1990's, the FDA had a list of 92 symptoms
      reported to them by 10,000 consumers,
      a list revealed to the public under the
      Freedom of Information Act. (2)

      Personally, I have read thousands of cases from aspartame victims,
      many who post on Yahoo's Aspartame Victim Support Group list,
      but Victoria's photographs, the first ever to be released from any
      study, give meaning to the maxim,
      "A picture is worth a thousand words."

      Following is Victoria's gutsy account of why she did her experiment,
      the protocol she used to conduct it and the remarkable pictures
      of the rats. Victoria says --

      I WANTED VISUAL PROOF

      I did my aspartame experiment because my family was addicted
      to diet soda. After researching the effects of aspartame, I strongly
      believed the artificial sweetener might one day lead to their illness
      and even early death.

      Most influential in my research on the aspartame molecule was
      The Bressler Report. (3)
      Dr. Jerome Bressler, M.D., led an FDA task force to attempt
      to validate the authenticity of a study done by G.D. Searle,
      the pharmaceutical company that held the patent to the 'sweetener.'

      Dr. Bressler's team did the Searle audit between April 25, 1977
      and August 4, 1977 of study PT #988S73,
      a 115 Week Oral Tumorigenicity Study in the Rat.

      The rat study was supposedly done by Searle to examine
      the adverse effects of the crystalline form of aspartame's breakdown
      into phenylalanine, 50% of the chemical's composition,
      to SC-19192, diketopiperazine (DKP).

      Bressler's force found irregularities in Searle's
      experiment -- missing raw data, errors and discrepancies
      in available data, exclusions of animals, and animals
      that had masses removed and were then returned to the study.

      It is clear Searle misrepresented the carcinogenicity of DKP,
      and hid incriminating data from the FDA.

      One unreported tissue mass in Searle's study measured
      5.0 X 4.5 X 2.5 cm. Equivalent to 2 in. X 1.75 in. X 1.0 in. -- a
      significant sized tumor that should be visible to the naked eye,
      hard to miss.

      I was convinced I would see tumors and possibly other harmful
      effects to convince my family and friends to avoid aspartame.

      Page 1 of 7 Copyright © 2008

      http://www.myaspartameexperiment.com/index.php?page=2

      MY EXPERIMENTAL SETUP

      MY EXPERIMENTAL PROTOCOL

      Summary of aspartame rat study protocol

      Protocol parameter

      Description

      Source of aspartame

      NutraSweet packets.

[...]

      Type of feed

      Kaytee's Supreme Fortified Daily Blend for Rat & Mouse
      and Kaytee's Supreme Fortified Daily Blend for Hamster & Gerbil
      from a local feed store.

      DIET PEPSI, ASPARTAME OR NUTRASWEET?

      Because my family members were addicted to diet soda,
      at first I wanted to put Diet Pepsi in my rats' water bottles.
      That idea was short lived.
      After turning a filled bottle upside down and attaching it to a cage,
      the liquid immediately started flowing out -- carbonation
      pressurizes the bottle -- so diet Pepsi wouldn't work.

      It was just as well, because the cost of the soda would have been
      prohibitive over the course of the experiment.

      I did not want to mix dry NutraSweet with rat food for several
      reasons.
      First, I wanted to simulate the effects of diet soda -- a liquid.
      Next, NutraSweet is sold as powdered crystals that are tiny
      compared to the grains and alfalfa pellets comprising the food
      I fed my rats.
      I knew the powder would fall to the bottom of the food bowls,
      allowing the rats to avoid it.

      I also knew from personal experience it would be hard
      to calculate the dosage, because so much food
      ends up in the trays under their cages.

      Finally, aspartame crystals may clump, allowing rats to avoid them.
      In The Bressler Report, the FDA task force reported the rats
      learned to eat around the DKP crystals.

      I decided to mix pure aspartame in their water.

      In an Internet search for an aspartame supplier,
      I found only food and beverage manufacturers
      are permitted to purchase aspartame.
      Dr. Ralph Walton, a respected researcher, in the mid-90's,
      experienced the same problem --
      no aspartame for sale for his study. (4)

      The National Institute of Health evaluates a packet of
      aspartame-based sweetener such as NutraSweet contains
      40 mg of aspartame.

      I decided on putting the NutraSweet in their drinking water,
      at the rate of two packets -- a
      total of 80 mg of aspartame -- per each 8 oz of water.

      A 12-oz diet soda has about 180 mg of aspartame,
      15 mg of aspartame per oz., the amount in approximately
      4.5 packets of NutraSweet.

      According to the industry-run Aspartame Information Center
      website, a conservative estimate of the maximum dose of
      aspartame for humans per day,
      the Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI), as set by the FDA,
      is 50 mg/kg, approximately twenty cans of 12-ounce diet soda
      for a 150 lb. adult
      and six 12-ounce cans for a 50-pound child.

      Tabletop sweetener ADI is 97 packets for an adult
      and 32 packets for a child.

      The animals in my study weighed on the average
      of 1 pound for males and 0.66 pounds for females.

      The ADI for the males was 16.9 mg and for the females 13.5 mg.

      To put these numbers into perspective,
      the aspartame received by my rats daily, was equivalent
      to two-thirds the aspartame contained in 8-oz of diet soda.

      My masters degree is in mathematics.

      RAT STRAIN

      Most studies are done on rats that are genetically identical.
      According to a friend who runs a rabbit and mouse lab
      for a local bio-tech company, "Some vendors sell strains of rats
      that have gone through 30 generations of
      brother and sister in-bred mating"

      This concept seemed counter-intuitive to me.
      How do these strains of rats represent the general population?
      In "Mean Genes", Jay Phelan and Terry Burnhan write:
      "Almost all animals avoid mating with close relatives
      because it makes for bad babies. From mice to monkeys,
      animals are reluctant to have offspring with siblings."

      I bought my rats at PetCo, and bred them for my experiment.

      I purchased rats of different colors, to get a genetic variety.
      I also attempted to breed rats that were not brothers and sisters,
      to avoid in-breeding mutation.

      I found most of the observable symptoms occurred
      during the last third of the rat's life-span, illuminating the
      information that the adverse effects of aspartame are cumulative.

      I chose to allow my rats to live out their natural lives.
      I honor them for their sacrifice
      and for showing the way for the rest of us.

      I put NutraSweet in their water starting in March, 2002,
      and the last of them died in November 2004.
      The experiment lasted a total of two years, eight months.
      [ Were videos made?
      Were bodies or samples frozen?
      Did any other researchers help?
      Will a longer report be submitted to a mainstream journal? ]

      Even though I had read the Bressler Report,
      I was struck by the number and size of the growths.
      Eleven females and one male developed tumors.
      That's 37% of the females on aspartame.
      [ 36.7 % F and 3.3 % M ]

      Page 2 of 7 Copyright © 2008

      http://www.myaspartameexperiment.com/index.php?page=3

      During the audit of Searle's DKP study,
      pathologist Dr. Charles H. Frith spent three days with the FDA
      task force to review 145 animals.
      Sufficient slides substantiated 73 female animals
      with grossly observed masses.

      THREE ASPARTAME FEMALES WITH TUMORS

      In 2005, Dr. Morando Soffritti of the
      European Foundation of Oncology, in Bologna, Italy
      completed an 8-year "mega-experiment" with 1,800 rats,
      to evaluate the potential carcinogenic effects of aspartame.

      The results of the experiment showed a dose-related statistically
      significant increase of lymphomas and leukemias in female rats.

      This statistically significant increase was also observed
      at the dose level of 20 mg/Kg of body weight,
      a dose inferior to the accepted daily intake permitted
      for humans by current regulations.

      Results of Dr. Soffritti's second long-term carcinogenicity
      bioassay on Aspartame ."not only confirm
      but also reinforce our first experimental demonstration
      (Belpoggi et al. 2006; Soffritti et al. 2005, 2006)
      of APM's multipotential carcinogenicity at a dose level
      close to the human ADI.
      Furthermore, the study demonstrates that when life-span
      exposure to APM (aspartame) begins during fetal life,
      its carcinogenic effects are increased."

      I was relieved to know to know Dr. Soffritti also let his rats live
      until spontaneous death because most cancers occur
      "in the last third of a person's lifetime."

      There are no photographs from the Soffritti study.
      But one can surmise, they looked something like this.

      THESE FEMALES IN MY MINI-EXPERIMENT APPEAR TO
      HAVE MAMMARY OR LYMPH TUMORS.

      THIS FEMALE DEVELOPED A LARGE TUMOR
      ON HER LEFT SIDE.

      THIS FEMALE DEVELOPED A TUMOR
      ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HER FACE.

      THIS FEMALE HAS A VERY LARGE TUMOR
      ON HER RIGHT SIDE.

      THIS MALE HAD A GROWTH
      ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HIS FACE.

      Page 3 of 7 Copyright © 2008

      http://www.myaspartameexperiment.com/index.php?page=4

      THIS FEMALE HAD A TUMOR NEAR THE
      LEFT LYMPH GLAND OF HER NECK.
      NOTE THE IDENTIFYING WHITE MARK ON HER HEAD.

      THE TUMOR GREW TO GIGANTIC PROPORTIONS
      ND APPEARED TO BE FILLED WITH NUMEROUS
      SMALLER TUMORS.
      THE TUMOUR BECAME ENTANGLED WITH HER RIGHT
      FORELEG CAUSING GREAT DIFFICULTY WHEN MOVING.

      THIS LAST PHOTO OF THE SAME FEMALE,
      TAKEN AFTER DEATH, SHOWS THE SMALL TUMORS
      MORE PRONOUNCED ALONG WITH THE
      BLOOD VESSELS THAT FED THEM.

      The fact that the European Union can discredit the
      Ramazzini Institute's damning 8-year cancer study
      is because, as researcher Mark Gold, www.holisticmed.com
      points out, after extensive background checks -- the persons
      controlling our world-wide health have big-time ties to industry.

      CHANGE IN VISION IS NO. 3 ON THE FDA LIST
      OF ASPARTAME SYMPTOMS.

      Endocrinologist, Dr. H. J. Roberts, M.D. writes in
      "Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic",
      "The FDA initially received ocular complaints attributed to
      aspartame from 177 consumers
      (Dr. Linda Tollefson, personal communication, August 12, 1987).

      Eye complaints, in the 1200 cases Dr. Roberts clinically
      observed for his book "were prominent", including
      retinal detachment, and in 27 cases, blindness
      occurred in one or both eyes.
      Other aspartame 'reactors' reported tunnel vision, eye pain,
      jerking of the eyes, bright flashes, dry eyes,
      trouble with contact lenses and bleeding eyes.

      MALE WITH BLEEDING EYES

      THESE TWO MALES HAD EYE INFECTIONS

      "In 1991, I was diagnosed with an 'incurable' case of
      Grave's Disease, a fatal thyroid disorder.
      I never really had Grave's Disease,
      but my doctors were convinced I did.
      I had aspartame poisoning with symptoms of 'textbook'
      Grave's Disease caused by aspartame saturating my foods."
      Dr. Janet Starr Hull
      "Sweet Poison: How The World's Most Popular
      Artificial Sweetener is Killing Us". New Horizon Press

      One of the symptoms of Grave's Disease is protruding eyes.
      This is a no-longer private e-mail from Dr. Hull to Carol Guilford:

      "YES, I had protruding eyes, cystic acne,
      and my hair was falling out in clumps.
      I had gained 30 pounds, too.
      ALL that went away within a year from stopping all aspartame.
      I even had holes in my retina from the methanol,
      and those have closed up now. All backed up by my eye surgeon."

      If you go to Dr. Hull's web site, www.sweetpoison.com ,
      you will find her a beautiful-looking woman.

      Page 4 of 7 Copyright © 2008

      http://www.myaspartameexperiment.com/index.php?page=5

      FOUR ASPARTAME-FED FEMALES
      WITH PROTRUDING EYES

      No observable eye disorders were found
      in my control group of 48 animals.

      NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEMS

      No observable neurological problems
      were displayed in my control group.

      Film maker Cori Brackett ("Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World")
      wrote a book of poetry, "Through the Shadows",
      about her MS diagnosis and her year-long recovery
      after she threw out the diet Coke.
      www.soundandfuryproductions.com

      ASPARTAME MALE
      WHOSE HIND LEGS BECAME PARALYZED

      He did not live long after.

      TORTICOLLIS

      Torticollis is a condition that causes
      the neck to twist, involuntary, to one side.
      The NSTA, the National Spasmodic Torticollis Association,
      describes torticollis as "Spasmodic Torticollis (ST),
      a painful and debilitating neurological disorder
      caused by a dysfunction of the brain."

      According to the NSTA, this aspartame-fed male and
      female rat have "tonic torticollis rotational."

      THIS FEMALE PERPETUALLY TURNED HER HEAD
      TO THE LEFT, A HUMAN SYMPTOM OF TORTICOLLIS.

      THIS MALE ALSO HAD TROUBLE WALKING,
      FREQUENTLY FALLING OVER.

      Note that his body is leaning toward his left side.
      Unsteady gait is No. 61 on the FDA list of aspartame symptoms.

      Page 5 of 7 Copyright © 2008

      http://www.myaspartameexperiment.com/index.php?page=6

      GENETIC DAMAGE

      "Searle had submitted 13 tests in an attempt to establish that
      aspartame did not cause genetic damage but memos from public
      records show that FDA scientists who reviewed the tests found
      serious deficiencies in all of them"
      Mary Nash Stoddard
      "Deadly Deception: Story of Aspartame"
      Former Texas State Judge Stoddard is the founder of the
      ACSN, The Aspartame Consumer Safety Network,
      along with her partner, consumer attorney, James Turner.
      www.aspartamesafety.com

      THIS ASPARTAME FED FEMALE
      HAD A TOOTH GROWING OUTSIDE THE MOUTH

      THE LARGE TAN MALE RAT IN THE CENTER BELOW
      WAS THE SAME AGE AS HIS STUNTED MALE
      AND FEMALE COUSINS.
      THE SMALLER RATS GREW TO ABOUT
      HALF THE AVERAGE WEIGHT OF THEIR COUSINS.

      CLOSE UP OF A FEMALE BORN WITH A SINGLE EYE

      A MALE BORN WITH ONE EYE

      Changes in skin in No. 65 on the FDA list
      and No. 66 is change in hair or nails.

      These shots are graphic, indeed.
      No rats in the control group showed skin problems.

      THESE ASPARTAME MALES HAD
      THINNING AND YELLOWING FUR.

      A SKIN LESION ON AN ASPARTAME MALE

      THE SKIN OF THIS FEMALE RAT STARTED
      COMING OFF THE WEEK BEFORE IT DIED.

      The unkindest cut of all.

      Change in body weight is No. 53 on the FDA list. (5)

      THIS FEMALE ASPARTAME RAT BECAME OBESE.

      Page 6 of 7 Copyright © 2008

      http://www.myaspartameexperiment.com/index.php?page=7

      IS ASPARTAME A HAZARDOUS CHEMICAL?

      THE INDEPENDENT, JUNE 6, 1999

      WORLD'S TOP SWEETENER IS MADE
      WITH GM BACTERIA.

      "A Monsanto spokeswoman confirmed that aspartame for the US
      market is often made using genetic engineering."

      OSHA, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration
      classifies methanol, formaldehyde and formic acid,
      components of aspartame as hazardous.
      [ The body makes any ingested methanol into formaldehyde and
      thence largely into formic acid, with about 30-40 %
      cumulative durable retention of unknown toxic reaction products,
      M. Bouchard et al., 2001 ]

      Carol Guilford convinced me to let her attempt to explain
      Aspartame, The Poison, in just a few paragraphs.

      Aspartame is a very sophisticated, clever drug.
      So, first off, let me point out that this sophisticated, clever drug
      could never have been "discovered" accidentally.

      Incidentally, James M. Schlatter, the scientist who,
      working on an ulcer drug, licked his finger to find the sweet
      chemical NutraSweet, has never been questioned.

      PHENYLALANINE, 50% of the aspartame molecule
      is isolated from the other 22 amino acids,
      with which it exists in nature.
      Isolated phenylalanine, neurosurgeon Dr. Russell Blaylock, M.D.
      tells us crosses the blood brain barrier to interfere and kill
      the neurotransmitter cells of the brain by "exciting them to death."
      ("Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills")

      In 1987, Dr. Louis J. Elsas, then Professor of Pediatrics
      and Director of the Division of Medical Genetics
      at Emory University testified at the hearing before the
      United States Senate Committee on Labor and Human Resources,
      concerning "NUTRASWEET HEALTH AND SAFETY
      CONCERNS."

      Dr. Elsas told the Senators, "In the developing fetus such a rise in
      maternal blood phenylalanine could be magnified four to six fold
      by the concentrative efforts of the placental and fetal
      blood brain barrier and this concentration
      kills such cells in tissue culture.
      The effect of such an increased fetal brain concentrations in vivo
      would probably be much more subtle and expressed as
      mental retardation, microcephaly, or potential certain birth defects."

      Does autism ring a bell? When Dr. Elsas told the Senate
      this significant fact about phenylalanine, in 1987, infant autism
      rates were 1 in 1,500 -- today they are 1 in 150 and rising.

      How many of us ever heard of Alzheimer's in 1980?
      The rates have doubled since aspartame was approved;
      a conservative statistic is 5 million in the US have the disease.

      PHENYLALANINE converts to DKP, diketopiperazine,
      a tumor agent. The suspicious study of DKP by
      Searle Pharmaceuticals prompted the FDA to audit the
      experiment, the results of which are documented in the
      Bressler Report.

      ASPARTIC ACID is 40% of the aspartame molecule.
      Dr. Madelon Price, in 1998 a Professor of Neurobiology
      at Washington University, in St. Louis, Missouri,
      told her students: "Aspartic acid (aspartate) has been known
      to be a neurotoxin for 30 years. (now 40 years)
      Rodents that have ingested too much aspartame as infants
      are stunted as adults, obese and have sexual and reproductive
      dysfunctions. (7)"

      At the same lecture to her students that day, someone asked
      Dr. Price whether the phenylalanine in neotame, the aspartame
      clone, approved by the FDA was the same as the phenylalanine
      in aspartame. Dr. Price answered, it was. Neotame is now
      in the food supply, unlabeled, without a PKU warning for those
      who cannot metabolize phenylalanine.

      "Ah, says industry. but there's such a small amount of
      phenylalanine in neotame, it doesn't count."
      [ This is plausible, since neotame is 40 times sweeter than
      aspartame, then 40 times less of it is used, so that the
      added phenylalanine and methanol are arguably harmless.
      However, it is essential to monitor and honor citizen feedback
      about negative symptoms. ]

      Wait a minute. Dr. Price explains, "Aspartate (aspartame)
      is additive in its effects with glutamate and other excitotoxins.
      In other words, a subtoxic dose of aspartame added to a
      subtoxic dose of glutamate (MSG) may add up to a toxic dose.
      Unfortunately it is hard to find food that does not contain
      added glutamate, and for some categories of food
      it does not have to be listed on the label."

      METHANOL is 10% of the aspartame molecule.
      Methanol (wood alcohol) is a known poison and addictive, too.
      Doesn't everyone knows someone who carries a diet Coke
      around all day?

      The aspartame industry claims there is more methanol
      in a glass of orange juice than in aspartame products,
      but in a natural product, such as orange juice,
      the poisonous wood alcohol has the antidote
      for methanol inherently in it -- ethanol.
      [ Huge levels of methanol are indeed released by degradation
      of pectins in fruits and vegetables by bacteria in the colon.
      The levels of methanol in diet soda are half as much as in
      most dark wines and liquors, but 13 hours after drinking,
      enough methanol remains in the blood to cause the dire
      symptoms of "morning after" hangovers, as, without any
      remaining ethanol, the methanol is quickly turned into
      formaldehyde and then formic acid, both potent, cumulative
      toxins that impact every tissue and organ. YS Woo et al, 2005. ]

      Ingested methanol is turned by the body
      into formaldehyde (embalming fluid).

      In 1998, a research team from the biology department
      of the University of Barcelona, Spain, C. Trocho, et al.,
      concluded: "Aspartame converts to formaldehyde in vivo
      in the bodies of laboratory rats."

      "Formaldehyde is a highly reactive small molecule,
      which strongly binds to proteins and nucleic acids,
      forming adducts, which are difficult to eliminate
      through the normal metabolism pathways. the amount
      of formaldehyde adducts coming from aspartame
      in tissue proteins and nucleic acids may be cumulative.

      It is concluded that aspartame consumption may
      constitute a hazard, because of its contribution
      to the formation of formaldehyde adducts."

      The formaldehyde from the free methanol then
      breaks down into formic acid, ant sting venom.

      Yes, a very, sophisticated, clever drug -- killing us sweetly.

      FOOTNOTES

      1. Three female rats in the control group of 48 had small tumors.

      2. Activist Betty Martini has a receipt from the
      Dept. of Health and Human Services
      for her request of the aspartame 'report'
      The cost was $42.30. The letter is dated June 6, 1995
      http://www.presidiotex.com/92symptoms

      3. The complete Bressler Report can be read at
      http://www.presidiotex.com/bressler

      4. Dr. Ralph Walton compiled a list of most controlled
      human and animal studies looking for the effects of aspartame.
      Out of 90 independently-funded studies, 83 of them found
      one or more problems caused by aspartame.
      But out of the 74 studies funded by the aspartame industry
      (e.g., Monsanto, G. D. Searle, etc),
      every single one of them claimed that no problems were found.

      5. Dr. Sandra Cabot ("The Liver Cleansing Diet")
      in a position paper on aspartame explains the liver
      is so busy detoxing the poisons from aspartame,
      it cannot properly metabolize fat.

      MSG is also an 'excitotoxin' that causes obesity.

      Dr. Blaylock writes, in an article for
      Nurse World Magazine. "dozens of independent laboratories
      have confirmed the connection between gross obesity
      and exposure to MSG early in life.
      More recent studies have also found it induces type 2 diabetes.
      One of the most frightening connections is
      with sudden cardiac death.
      It is known that the heart's electrical conduction system
      contains a number of glutamate receptors,
      as does the heart muscle itself.
      If these glutamate receptors are overstimulated,
      fatal arrhythmias can result."

      Change in heart rate is No. 15 on the FDA list
      of aspartame symptoms.

      6. Everything you ever wanted to know about the methanol in
      aspartame is in Dr. Monte's letter of January, 2006.
      Author and columnist David L. Dewey has posted the letter at
      http://www.dldewey.com/monte.htm

      David's concise article
      Aspartame -- Sweetness Disguised as Disease or Death is at
      http://www.dldewey.com/aspar.htm

      7. Dr. Price worked with Dr. John Olney, who in 1969
      found aspartic acid caused nerve damage in the brains of mice.
      It was Dr. Olney who discovered that aspartame and MSG
      could kill brain cells by 'exciting' them to death,
      hence, the name 'excitotoxin.'

      In 1996, Dr. Olney showed the link between aspartame and
      brain cancer, up 10% after aspartame had been on the market
      for 3 years and one year after its inclusion in diet sodas.

      Despite an airing on "60 Minutes", Dr. Olney was media-blitzed
      by industrial power, in the same manner as Dr. Soffritti
      is being dismissed today, ten years later.

      Death is No. 77 on the FDA list of aspartame symptoms.

      Page 7 of 7 Copyright © 2008

      http://victoriainnessbrown.com/

      Victoria Inness-Brown [ photo ]

      Technical Writing & Document Design

      Victoria's high-level training in mathematics provides an excellent
      background for technical writing. She understands difficult concepts,
      perseveres in solving problems, and brings to her writing an
      innate sense of logic and an in-depth attention to detail.
      With over 20 years of experience, she remains interested in learning
      and developing new abilities. She enjoys challenges, and is capable
      of juggling multiple projects. She is self-motivated, and works well
      alone or as part of a team. She researches, writes, designs
      document formats, takes photographs and screen captures,
      prepares line art, edits, and proofreads. She prepares
      production-ready hard copy, PDF, HTML or help files and
      oversees the production. She prepares software user guides,
      developer guides, administrator guides and online help,
      as well as hardware installation, operation, and maintenance
      manuals; proposals, brochures, specifications, and procedures;
      technical papers, newsletters and videos for educational, sales
      and technical purposes.

      Education
      A, Mathematics, UCSD, La Jolla California
      BA, Mathematics, UCSD, La Jolla California

      Production Software Experience
      FrameMaker, MS Word, Pagemaker, QuarkXPress, Visio,
      MS Paint, RoboHTML/WebHelp, Webworks,
      Macromedia Dreamweaver, Pinnacle Studio 8, Adobe PhotoShop,
      Film Factory, Camtasia, DubIt, SnagIt.

      Contact Victoria
      Victoria Inness-Brown
      15794 Lawson Valley Road
      Jamul CA 91935-2221 USA
      Phone: 619-445-3569 E-mail: vinnessbrown@...;

      [ Below, I give the specific data for the first Ramazzini studies on
      methanol, formaldehyde, and aspartame carcinogenicity.

      Overall, Inness-Brown's results agree -- however,
      the Ramazzini rats did not show a consistent strong
      difference between males and females, at least, for these
      specific cancers.

      We can grasp the main picture by studying their results
      at a high level of exposure:

      aspartame dose a
      -----------------equivalent methanol dose
      ---------------- (11% of aspartame)
      ------------------------------roughly equivalent formaldehyde dose
      ----------------------------- (30% of methanol)

      Males
      Females
      Males + Females

      Animals with lymphomas and leukaemias [hemolymphoreticular
      neoplasias] % of each group of animals, found by careful
      microscopic examination of many specific tissue samples by
      trained research assistants. They did not report data on grossly
      visible tumors only, some of which may well not be malignant
      (cancerous).

      The bottom line shows that the 3 female control groups had
      from 7.0 - 13.0 % of these specific cancers,
      2-4 time more than the 3.3 % percentage with grossly
      observable tumors for female controls in the Inness-Brown study.

      Probably, inbred laboratory rat strains have much higher tumor
      and cancer rates than pet store varieties, but not much more
      can be decided by comparing these two sets of studies.

      It could be that lab rats over the last century have evolved to
      be resistant to exposure to formaldehyde, a common
      contaminant of air, liquid, and water in scientific laboratories.
      This deserves scientific exploration.

      Groups, with chemical in drinking water until natural death
      100 rats each

      II--50,000-20.0-----5,000-36.0----1,500-46.0 ** males
      ------------25.0**---------24.0-----------20.0* females
      ------------12.5------------30.0-----------33.0 both

      VII------0-20.7----------0-28.0---------0-8.0 [ control groups ]
      -------------8.7------------13.0------------7.0
      ------------14.7------------20.5------------7.5

      The results amount to 1.3 to 5.75 times their control group levels.
      Aspartame, methanol, and formaldehyde results broadly agree.
      Unknown factors are causing differences between males and females.

      The control groups vary widely,
      with the percentage of rats with these most common cancers,
      present at natural death, ranging from 7.0% to 28.0%.
      A layman can only speculate as to the possible causes in a uniform
      population of rats in the same huge laboratory facility for decades,
      such as various viruses, bacteria, or molds,
      or variable impurities in the tap water.

      methanol (formaldehyde, formic acid) disposition:
      Bouchard M et al, full plain text, 2001:
      substantial sources are degradation
      of fruit pectins, liquors, aspartame, smoke:
      Murray 2005.04.02 rmforall

      President Bush & formaldehyde (aspartame) toxicity:
      Ramazzini Foundation carcinogenicity results Dec 2002:
      Soffritti: Murray 2003.08.03 rmforall

      p. 88 "The sweetening agent aspartame hydrolyzes in the
      gastrointestinal tract to become free methyl alcohol,
      which is metabolized in the liver
      to formaldehyde, formic acid, and CO2. (11)"
      Medinsky MA & Dorman DC. 1994;
      Assessing risks of low-level methanol exposure.
      CIIT Act. 14: 1-7.

      Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 Dec; 982: 87-105.
      Results of long-term experimental studies on the carcinogenicity of
      formaldehyde and acetaldehyde in rats.
      Soffritti M, Belpoggi F, Lambertin L,
      Lauriola M, Padovani M, Maltoni C.
      Cancer Research Center,
      European Ramazzini Foundation for Oncology
      and Environmental Sciences, Bologna, Italy. crcfr@...
      Formaldehyde was administered for 104 weeks in drinking water
      supplied ad libitum at concentrations of
      1500, 1000, 500, 100, 50, 10, or 0 mg/L
      to groups of 50 male and 50 female Sprague-Dawley rats
      beginning at seven weeks of age.
      Control animals (100 males and 100 females) received tap water only.
      Acetaldehyde was administered to 50 male and 50 female
      Sprague-Dawley rats beginning at six weeks of age at concentrations of
      2,500, 1,500, 500, 250, 50, or 0 mg/L.
      Animals were kept under observation until spontaneous death.
      Formaldehyde and acetaldehyde were found to produce an increase
      in total malignant tumors in the treated groups
      and showed specific carcinogenic effects on various organs and
      tissues.
      PMID: 12562630

      Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 Dec; 982: 46-69.
      Results of long-term experimental studies on the carcinogenicity of
      methyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol in rats.
      Soffritti M, Belpoggi F, Cevolani D,
      Guarino M, Padovani M, Maltoni C.
      Cancer Research Center,
      European Ramazzini Foundation for Oncology
      and Environmental Sciences, Bologna, Italy. crcfr@...
      Methyl alcohol was administered in drinking water
      supplied ad libitum at doses of
      20,000, 5,000, 500, or 0 ppm to groups of male and female
      Sprague-Dawley rats 8 weeks old at the start of the experiment.
      Animals were kept under observation until spontaneous death.
      Ethyl alcohol was administered by ingestion in drinking water at a
      concentration of 10% or 0% supplied ad libitum
      to groups of male and female Sprague-Dawley rats;
      breeders and offspring were included in the experiment.
      Treatment started at 39 weeks of age (breeders),
      7 days before mating,
      or from embryo life (offspring)
      and lasted until their spontaneous death.
      Under tested experimental conditions,
      methyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol
      were demonstrated to be carcinogenic
      for various organs and tissues.
      They must also be considered multipotential carcinogenic agents.
      In addition to causing other tumors, ethyl alcohol induced
      malignant tumors of the oral cavity, tongue, and lips.
      These sites have been shown to be target organs in man by
      epidemiologic studies.
      Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 12562628

      aspartame induces lymphomas and leukaemias in rats, full plain text,
      M Soffritti, F Belpoggi, DD Esposti, L Lambertini: Ramazzini
      Foundation study 2005.07.14: main results agree with their previous
      methanol and formaldehyde studies: Murray 2005.09.03

      Here I have combined fairly equivalent data from
      their aspartame, methanol, and formaldehyde studies.
      Aspartame groups were 100-150 rats each,
      methanol 100 rats each,
      and formaldehyde 50 rats each
      (formaldehyde control groups 100 rats each).

      Aspartame and methanol are directly comparable,
      since the 11% methanol component of aspartame upon ingestion
      is immediately and fully released into the GI tract,
      and then much of that quickly turned into formaldehyde and
      then formic acid, both of which account for the toxicity of methanol.

      aspartame dose a
      -----------------equivalent methanol dose
      ---------------- (11% of aspartame)
      ------------------------------roughly equivalent formaldehyde dose
      ----------------------------- (30% of methanol)

      Males
      Females
      Males + Females

      Animals with lymphomas and leukaemias [hemolymphoreticular
      neoplasias] % of each group of animals

      Group
      100 rats each

      --------------------20,000-40.0
      ----------------------------28.0 #^
      --------------------------- 34.0

      I-100,000-29.0
      ------------25.0**
      ------------27.0

      II--50,000-20.0-----5,000-36.0--1,500-46.0 **
      ------------25.0**---------24.0---------20.0*
      ------------22.5------------30.0---------33.0

      -----------------------------------1,000-22.0*
      ------------------------------------------22.0*
      ------------------------------------------22.0

      -------------------------------------500-24.0*
      ------------------------------------------14.0
      ------------------------------------------19.0

      III-10,000-15.0
      ------------19.0*
      ------------17.0

      -----------------------500-35.0
      ----------------------------24.0
      ----------------------------29.5

      -----------------------100-26.0**
      ----------------------------16.0
      ----------------------------21.0

      ---------------------------------------50-20.0
      -------------------------------------------14.0
      -------------------------------------------17.0

      IV-2,000--22.0
      ------------18.7*
      ------------20.3

      V----400--16.7
      ------------20.0**
      ------------18.3
      ---------------------------------------10--8.0
      -------------------------------------------10.0
      --------------------------------------------9.0

      ------------------------15-20.0 [-50 rats ]
      ----------------------------10.0 [-50 rats ]
      ----------------------------15.0 [100 rats ]

      VI------80-15.3
      ------------14.7
      ------------15.0

      VII------0-20.7----------0-28.0---------0-8.0 [ control groups ]
      -------------8.7------------13.0------------7.0
      ------------14.7------------20.5------------7.5

      a Considering the life-span average weight
      of a rat (male and female) as 400 g
      and the average consumption of food as 20 g per day

      * aspartame, statistically significant p= 0.05;
      ** aspartame, statistically significant p= 0.01
      using poly-k test (k = 3)

      # methanol, p<0.05 using X2 test
      ^ methanol, p<0.05 using Cochrane-Armitage test
      for dose-response relationship

      * formaldehyde, p<0.05 using X2 test
      ** formaldehyde, p<0.01 using X2 test

      We can grasp the main picture by studying the results
      at a high level of exposure:

      II--50,000-20.0-----5,000-36.0----1,500-46.0 **
      ------------25.0**---------24.0-----------20.0*
      ------------12.5------------30.0-----------33.0

      The results amount to 1.3 to 5.75 times their control group levels.
      Aspartame, methanol, and formaldehyde results broadly agree.
      Unknown factors are causing differences between males and females.

      The control groups vary widely,
      with the percentage of rats with these most common cancers,
      present at natural death, ranging from 7.0% to 28.0%.
      A layman can only speculate as to the possible causes in a uniform
      population of rats in the same huge laboratory facility for decades,
      such as various viruses, bacteria, or molds,
      or variable impurities in the tap water.

      Formaldehyde at 50 ppm shows a doubling of the percentage
      of rats with these cancers, for groups of just 50 rats.
      It is a safe bet that studies using groups of 100 to 200 rats
      would establish significance at this 50 ppm level,
      which in turn would mandate the reduction
      of the present USA EPA level (1999) from 1 ppm
      for lifetime exposure to formaldehyde
      in drinking water to 0.05 ppm,
      since the human limit is estimated by dividing
      the lowest harmful animal level by 1000.

      Lifetime exposure to low doses of aspartame beginning during prenatal life
      increases cancer effects in rats, Morando Soffritti et al, European
      Ramazzini
      Foundation, USA EPA Environmental Health Perspectives 2007.06.13 free full
      text
      24 pages: Murray 2007.06.16
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1441

      www.ehponline.org/members/2007/10271/10271.pdf free full text 24 pages

      praise for second aspartame cancer rat study by Ramazzini Foundation,
      Morando
      Soffritti et al, by informed MDs -- Blaylock, Landigan, Walton, Roberts:
      Martini: Murray 2007.06.15

      second large Ramazzini study on low dose lifetime aspartame in rats confirms
      carcinogenicity -- Morando Soffritti will give data and get Selikoff award
      April
      23 at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in NYC: Murray 2007.04.19
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1415

      aspartame causes cancer in rats at levels approved for humans,
      Morando Soffritti et al, Ramazzini Foundation, Italy &
      National Toxicology Program
      of National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
      2005.11.17 Env. Health Pers. 35 pages: Murray

      USA National Institutes of Health National Toxicology
      Program aids eminent Ramazzini Foundation, Bologna, Italy,
      in more results on cancers in rats from lifetime low levels
      of aspartame (methanol, formaldehyde), Felicity Lawrence,
      www.guardian.co.uk: Murray 2005.09.30

      Michael F Jacobson of CSPI now and in 1985 re aspartame
      toxicity, letter to FDA Commissioner Lester Crawford;
      California OEHHA aspartame critique 2004.03.12; Center for
      Consumer Freedom denounces CSPI: Murray 2005.07.27

      Obfuscation of the iatrogenic autism epidemic re mercury in kid
      vaccines, Kenneth P. Stoller, Pediatrics 2006.05.06;
      aspartame toxicity 2005.11.10: Comet assay can test genotoxicity,
      EFSA admits ignorance re methanol residues, Murray 2006.05.10

      Morando Soffritti of Ramazzini Foundation rebuts EFSA AFC critique,
      www.laleva.org: Murray 2006.05.05

      European Food Safety Authority discounts Ramazzini study re many
      cancers in 1800 rats fed lifetime doses of aspartame:
      Calorie Control Council press release: Murray 2006.05.05

      http://www.efsa.eu.int/press_room/press_release/1472_en.html

      http://www.efsa.eu.int/science/afc/afc_opinions/1471_en.html

      http://www.efsa.eu.int/press_room/media_events/catindex_en.html

      http://www.flyonthewall.com/FlyBroadcast/efsa.eu.int/AspartamePressConference/

      www.efsa.eu.int/science/afc/afc_opinions/1471/afc_op_ej356_aspartame_en1.\pdf

      Aspartame: The healthy option? Richard A. Lovett, The New Scientist
      2006.05.04: Murray 2006.05.08

      The Lowdown on Sweet? (Ramazzini Foundation, M Soffritti proof that
      aspartame causes cancers), Melanie Warner, The New York Times:
      sucralose: Prof. DL Katz: Murray 2006.02.12

      David L. Katz MD comments briefly with Diane Sawyer on ABC
      Good Morning America re Ramazzini aspartame cancer study:
      excellent opus at Yale U: mainstream research on aspartame
      (methanol, formaldehyde, formic acid) toxicity: Murray 2006.02.14

      brief aspartame research review: Rich Murray 2008.02.12
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
      Sunday, February 10, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1516
      metabolic syndrome is tied to diet soda, PL Lutsey, LM Steffen,
      J Stevens, Circulation 2008.01.22: role of formaldehyde and
      formic acid from methanol in wines, liquors, or aspartame?:
      Murray 2008.02.07

      "But the one-third who ate the most fried food increased their risk
      by 25 percent, compared with the one-third who ate the least, and
      surprisingly, the risk of developing metabolic syndrome was 34
      percent higher among those who drank one can of diet soda a day
      compared with those who drank none.

      "This is interesting," said Lyn M. Steffen, an associate professor of
      epidemiology at the University of Minnesota and a co-author of the
      paper, which was posted online in the journal Circulation on Jan. 22.
      "Why is it happening? Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda,
      or something about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?""

      "The diet soda association was not hypothesized
      and deserves further study."

      vinyl acetate, ethyl alcohol, or aspartame in womb increases later
      cancers in adults with lifetime exposure in many studies, M Soffritti
      et al, Ramazzini Foundation, Basic Clin. Pharm. Toxicol. 2008 Feb.:
      Rich Murray 2008.02.07

      folic acid prevents neurotoxicity from formic acid, made by body
      from methanol impurity in alcohol drinks [also 11 % of aspartame],
      BM Kapur, PL Carlen, DC Lehotay, AC Vandenbroucke,
      Y Adamchik, U. of Toronto, 2007 Dec., Alcoholism Cl. Exp. Res.:
      Murray 2007.11.27

      details on 6 epidemiological studies since 2004 on diet soda (mainly
      aspartame) correlations, as well as 14 other mainstream studies
      on aspartame toxicity since summer 2005: Murray 2007.11.27

      aspartame groups and books:
      updated research review of 2004.07.16: Murray 2006.05.11

      Souring on fake sugar (aspartame), Jennifer Couzin,
      Science 2007.07.06: 4 page letter to FDA from 12 eminent
      USA toxicologists re two Ramazzini Foundation cancer studies
      2007.06.25: Murray 2007.07.18

      ASDA (unit of Wal-Mart Stores WMT.N) and Marks & Spencer
      will join Tesco and also Sainsbury to ban and limit aspartame,
      MSG, artificial flavors dyes preservatives additives, trans fats, salt
      "nasties" to protect kids from ADHD: leading UK media:
      Murray 2007.05.15

      Artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose) and coloring agents
      will be banned from use in newly-born and baby foods,
      the European Parliament decided: Latvia ban in schools 2006:
      Murray 2007.07.12

      highly toxic formaldehyde, the cause of alcohol hangovers, is
      made by the body from 100 mg doses of methanol from
      dark wines and liquors, dimethyl dicarbonate, and aspartame:
      Murray 2007.08.31

      FEMA slow to safety test Katrina toxic trailers, Charles Babington,
      Associated Press -- 1 ppm formaldehyde in air is about half the
      daily dose from 3 cans aspartame diet soda and ten times the
      1999 EPA alarm level for drinking water: Murray 2007.07.23

      "Of course, everyone chooses, as a natural priority, to enjoy
      peace, joy, and love by helping to find, quickly share, and positively
      act upon evidence about healthy and safe food, drink, and
      environment."

      Rich Murray, MA Room For All rmforall@...
      505-501-2298 1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505

      http://RMForAll.blogspot.com new primary archive

      group with 119 members, 1,521 posts in a public archive

      correct way to send testimony and evidence to
      Hawaii House Health Committee
      re aspartame ban hearing 2 pm EST Wed. Feb. 13:
      Murray 2008.02.12
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
      Tuesday, February 12, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1518
      [ The Chair, Rep. Josh Green, MD, exercised his prerogative to
      defer the bill indefinitely, effectively killing the House Bill -- the
      Senate Health Committee has yet to set a date for a hearing
      on SB 2506, the same bill. ]

      David Y. Ige, Chair
      phone 808-586-6230; fax 808-586-6231
      E-mail sendige@...;

      Carol Fukunaga, Vice-Chair
      phone 808-586-6890; fax 808-586-6899
      e-mail: senfukunaga@...; ]

      bias, omissions, incuriosity = opportunity, aspartame safety
      evaluation, Magnuson BA, Burdock GA, Williams GM, 7 more,
      2007 Sept, Ajinomoto funded 98 pages html [ $ 32 pdf ]:
      Murray 2007.09.15
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.htm
      Saturday, September 15, 2007

      MSG and Aspartame -- A Personal Story, TV health reporter
      Dick Allgire (vegetarian) healed of migraines and panic attacks:
      Murray 2008.02.12
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
      Tuesday, February 12, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1520