MSG and Aspartame -- A Personal Story, TV health reporter Dick Allgire (vegetarian) healed of migraines and panic attacks: Murray 2008.02.12

  • Rich Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2008
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
      Tuesday, February 12, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1520

      http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?dce62002-dd58-4b18-80da-eaacf187588e

      MSG and Aspartame -- A Personal Story
      By Dick Allgire, 2/12/2008 11:54:38 AM
      dallgire@...;

      There is a bill being considered at the Hawaii State Legislature
      that would ban aspartame. This will come to a vote on
      Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008. It doesn't look good.

      Quoting an email from Dr. Betty Martini:

      "Although Rep. Josh Green sympathized with supporters who have
      been affected by the artificial sweetener aspartame, he was unable
      to immediately pass a bill that would ban the artificial sweetener
      aspartame in food products without concrete evidence showing a
      connection between aspartame and medical ailments. We can't
      take numerous amounts of products off Hawaii store shelves
      without evidence of a connection, he said."

      I've been a television news reporter for 34 years,
      and I have won the Hawaii Medical Association
      Distinguished Medical Reporting Award five times.

      I didn't win those awards for going on TV
      and telling people how to be healthy.

      I won the awards for reporting the AMA company line;
      the newest drugs, the latest surgery,
      and the most advanced methods of zapping cancer with radiation.

      So here's my health story.
      I suffered from migraines and panic attacks.
      Doctors prescribed drugs for both conditions.

      Since my teenage years I endured excruciating migraines,
      a type of headache called Cluster Headaches.

      These are also known as "suicide headaches"
      because the pain is so intense you want to kill yourself.

      On many occasions I went nearly delirious with pain
      and beat on my own head in a frustrated, impotent rage.

      My doctor told me he knew of a patient
      who tried to claw his own eye out because of the pain.

      Imagine an "ice cream headache" -- when you drink a very cold,
      icy drink too fast and have a searing pain for a few seconds.

      A cluster headache is many times worse than that,
      but it lasts several hours.

      For these headaches physicians prescribed opiates
      and also put me on a cousin of LSD known as Sansert
      (Methysergide maleate).

      This drug gives you hallucinogenic dreams.
      The doctor told me I had to take it.
      The dreams were really wild, a Technicolor acid trip every night.
      So my doctor basically prescribed a mild form of LSD
      to prevent my headaches.

      What the doctor didn't realize was that cluster migraines
      are not caused by a lack of Sansert.

      Later in my adult life I started getting panic attacks.
      It is impossible to describe a panic attack.
      Your heart starts beating out of control,
      it feels like you cannot get a breath of air into your lungs,
      and you have a feeling of absolute terror
      as the more you try to breathe
      the less you feel like you can get a breath,
      you lose muscle control
      and feel like you are going to convulse
      and drop dead in the next few seconds.
      It is like someone just injected you with a powerful drug
      that makes you feel as scared and miserable as is humanly possible.
      Hence the name Panic.

      The panic attacks had me leaving work
      and fleeing to an emergency room.
      Doctors assured me I must take Paxil.
      I asked them about the number of patients on SSRIs
      who have committed suicide.
      The doctors assured me that I had to take Paxil
      or risk a nervous breakdown.

      What the doctors didn't understand
      was that panic attacks are not caused by a lack of Paxil.

      But according to mainstream medicine
      headaches required the hallucinogenic Sansert
      and panic attacks called for an SSRI.
      Take 10 minutes to write a prescription,
      get the patient out the door, next patient, a new prescription.

      I had heard several interviews with Dr. Russell Blaylock
      and I began to wonder about food additives.
      So I did my own research.
      I found out things my doctors didn't know.

      I read as much as I could find about Aspartame and MSG.

      Could Aspartame and MSG have caused
      my excruciating headaches and paralyzing panic attacks?

      I used to drink one diet Pepsi with lunch every day at work.
      I used to eat sugarless candy containing aspartame.
      I used to chew sugarless gum, also loaded with aspartame.

      When I read about this drug
      and learned that Mr. Donald Rumsfeld
      helped inflict this poison on society, I decided to stop ingesting it.

      I stopped.
      Instead of drinking one diet soda per day,
      I drank water with lunch.
      I threw out the sugarless candy. I stopped chewing gum.
      I now read every label of everything I consume.
      I don't eat aspartame.

      MSG was a hard one. It is in everything.
      I am a vegetarian and I used to cook with a powered vegetable
      broth that I purchased at my local "health food" store.
      The main ingredient was "hydrolyzed protein."
      I looked that one up and discovered it is MSG.
      MSG has many hidden names.
      (Do an Internet search for "HIDDEN MSG")
      Those bastards!

      I now make my own vegetable broth. It's easy.
      Two onions, chopped, three carrots, chopped.
      One stalk of celery, chopped. Six cloves of garlic.
      Drizzle some olive oil and toss on some sea salt.
      Roast in the oven until everything begins to darken and caramelize.
      Toss the veggies in a pot with about 8 cups of water
      and simmer for an hour.
      Strain and you have a great broth for soups, stir-fries,
      and it has no MSG.

      Does it take time and effort? Yes.
      Does it beat writhing on the floor
      with a pounding, excruciating headache? Absolutely.

      I stopped eating at restaurants.
      This is difficult when you're a news reporter on the go.
      I take my own food with me.
      I know about 5 places in Honolulu that don't use MSG.

      When I go to the grocery it takes longer for me to check out,
      because most of the food I buy does not have a bar code.
      The checkout clerk is usually bewildered by kale or Swiss Chard,
      and has to look up the code.

      I buy fresh whole foods.
      I make just about everything I eat from scratch.

      Guess what? I stopped having migraines and panic attacks.

      Now this is what we call "anecdotal" evidence.
      It is not a scientific study,
      and no medical claims can be made from my personal testimony.

      I won't even put this on the local news as a story.
      But when I eat something
      with "autolyzed yeast" or "natural flavoring",
      I get knocked down with terrible headache.

      I also realized that my heart would race
      and my breathing would become labored,
      after consuming anything with aspartame, even one diet soda.

      The more you clean up your diet, the more sensitive you become.

      Do not wait for the government to take action.
      You are in charge of your own health.
      No one is going to do it for you.
      We hear so much about "health care" costs,
      but think about it -- if you are truly healthy you don't need care.
      There is no cost incurred from health and wellness.
      Health "care" is Orwellian doublespeak.

      By writing this article I risk "crossing the line" in journalism.
      I'm old school.
      Reporters should report all sides and not have an opinion.

      You rarely see that these days -- almost everything on cable "news"
      is what they term news, debate, and opinion.

      But my personal experience is true.
      When it comes to MSG and Aspartame, I voted with my feet.
      You can ingest this stuff if you want, but I won't.

      Dick Allgire is a health reporter for KITV News.

      HawaiiReporter.com reports the real news,
      and prints all editorials submitted,
      even if they do not represent the viewpoint of the editors,
      as long as they are written clearly.
      Send editorials to mailto:Malia@...

      http://www.kitv.com/newsteam/121634/detail.html

      Dick Allgire is a veteran television journalist
      with over 26 years experience as a reporter, anchor and producer.
      He grew up in Salt Lake City,
      and worked for nearly a decade at stations in Utah.

      Dick has worked in Hawaii since 1985, and has been at KITV since 1988.

      Dick has been covering health and medicine at KITV4
      for the past 8 years.
      His health report is seen nightly on KITV 4 News at Five.

      Dick has been honored as the recipient of the
      Hawaii Medical Association's
      "Distinguished Medical Reporting Award" for 5 of the past 6 years.

      Dick also does general assignment reporting,
      and serves up a Cook Healthy Fast recipe
      every Tuesday on the 5 PM news.

      Dick has been married to Mi Ok Choe (Mimi) since 1992.

      His hobbies include music, scuba diving, and remote viewing.

      [ Rich Murray: I am a native remote viewer, with experience that
      awareness has no boundaries, and that single unity exists. ]

      http://www.remoteviewer.org/remoteviewing/allgire.htm

      Dick Allgire --
      Vice-President, HRVG (Hawai'i Remote Viewers' Guild)

      Dick Allgire is the Vice President of the HRVG,
      where he volunteers his time.
      He works at KITV News
      where he began by hosting a health spot for an insurance company.

      In 1995, Dick traveled to the big island of Hawaii
      to meet the PSI TECH officers
      and he attended one of Joni Dourif's presentations
      on "How TRV Works."

      He wanted remote viewing training,
      but Psi Tech's training slots were booked for years,
      so he chose Courtney Brown's training instead
      who had been trained by PSI TECH a couple years prior.

      After his training at Farsight, he retuned home to Hawaii,
      where he met Glenn Wheaton,
      who claims to have been part of a Special Forces
      Remote Viewing Unit.

      Dick and Glenn started HRVG, and Dick became the VP.
      Between the two of them, it appears that Dick
      is the only one who was legitimately trained
      in a version of remote viewing.

      Glenn Wheaton's remote viewing background can not be verified.

      Website: HRVG http://www.remoteviewer.org/

      © 2002 RemoteViewer.org All Rights Reserved.
      Permission to re-publish granted
      provided that this article is published
      in complete and unaltered form,
      with credit given to RemoteViewer.org.
      Contributed articles or linked web sites are not endorsed
      and do not reflect the opinions of RemoteViewer.org.

      brief aspartame research review: Rich Murray 2008.02.12
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
      Sunday, February 10, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1516
      metabolic syndrome is tied to diet soda, PL Lutsey, LM Steffen,
      J Stevens, Circulation 2008.01.22: role of formaldehyde and
      formic acid from methanol in wines, liquors, or aspartame?:
      Murray 2008.02.07

      "But the one-third who ate the most fried food increased their risk
      by 25 percent, compared with the one-third who ate the least, and
      surprisingly, the risk of developing metabolic syndrome was 34
      percent higher among those who drank one can of diet soda a day
      compared with those who drank none.

      "This is interesting," said Lyn M. Steffen, an associate professor of
      epidemiology at the University of Minnesota and a co-author of the
      paper, which was posted online in the journal Circulation on Jan. 22.
      "Why is it happening? Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda,
      or something about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?""

      "The diet soda association was not hypothesized
      and deserves further study."

      vinyl acetate, ethyl alcohol, or aspartame in womb increases later
      cancers in adults with lifetime exposure in many studies, M Soffritti
      et al, Ramazzini Foundation, Basic Clin. Pharm. Toxicol. 2008 Feb.:
      Rich Murray 2008.02.07

      folic acid prevents neurotoxicity from formic acid, made by body
      from methanol impurity in alcohol drinks [also 11 % of aspartame],
      BM Kapur, PL Carlen, DC Lehotay, AC Vandenbroucke,
      Y Adamchik, U. of Toronto, 2007 Dec., Alcoholism Cl. Exp. Res.:
      Murray 2007.11.27

      details on 6 epidemiological studies since 2004 on diet soda (mainly
      aspartame) correlations, as well as 14 other mainstream studies
      on aspartame toxicity since summer 2005: Murray 2007.11.27

      aspartame groups and books:
      updated research review of 2004.07.16: Murray 2006.05.11

      Souring on fake sugar (aspartame), Jennifer Couzin,
      Science 2007.07.06: 4 page letter to FDA from 12 eminent
      USA toxicologists re two Ramazzini Foundation cancer studies
      2007.06.25: Murray 2007.07.18

      ASDA (unit of Wal-Mart Stores WMT.N) and Marks & Spencer
      will join Tesco and also Sainsbury to ban and limit aspartame,
      MSG, artificial flavors dyes preservatives additives, trans fats, salt
      "nasties" to protect kids from ADHD: leading UK media:
      Murray 2007.05.15

      Artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose) and coloring agents
      will be banned from use in newly-born and baby foods,
      the European Parliament decided: Latvia ban in schools 2006:
      Murray 2007.07.12

      highly toxic formaldehyde, the cause of alcohol hangovers, is
      made by the body from 100 mg doses of methanol from
      dark wines and liquors, dimethyl dicarbonate, and aspartame:
      Murray 2007.08.31

      FEMA slow to safety test Katrina toxic trailers, Charles Babington,
      Associated Press -- 1 ppm formaldehyde in air is about half the
      daily dose from 3 cans aspartame diet soda and ten times the
      1999 EPA alarm level for drinking water: Murray 2007.07.23

      "Of course, everyone chooses, as a natural priority, to enjoy
      peace, joy, and love by helping to find, quickly share, and positively
      act upon evidence about healthy and safe food, drink, and
      environment."

      Rich Murray, MA Room For All rmforall@...
      505-501-2298 1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505

      http://RMForAll.blogspot.com new primary archive

      group with 119 members, 1,520 posts in a public archive

      correct way to send testimony
      and evidence to Hawaii House Health Committee
      re aspartame ban hearing 2 pm EST Wed. Feb. 13:
      Murray 2008.02.12
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
      Tuesday, February 12, 2008
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1518

      bias, omissions, incuriosity = opportunity, aspartame safety
      evaluation, Magnuson BA, Burdock GA, Williams GM, 7 more,
      2007 Sept, Ajinomoto funded 98 pages html [ $ 32 pdf ]:
      Murray 2007.09.15
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.htm
      Saturday, September 15, 2007