Phoenix Organics (Charlie's Soda Co.), New Zealand, rags aspartame in warning on 20,000 Phoenix Organic Cola bottles, Stefan Lepionka, Marc Ellis: Murray 2007.12.21

  • Rich Murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2007
      Phoenix Organics (Charlie's Soda Co.), New Zealand, rags aspartame in
      warning on 20,000 Phoenix Organic Cola bottles, Stefan Lepionka, Marc
      Ellis: Murray 2007.12.21
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1497

      http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE0712/S00099.htm

      editor@...

      Phoenix Organics: Think Before U Drink...Aspartame
      Saturday, 22 December 2007, 11:45 am
      Press Release: Phoenix Organics

      Phoenix Organics Says: 'Think Before You Drink' Aspartame

      Phoenix Organics has launched a campaign urging people to find out more
      about aspartame, the controversial artificial sweetener contained in
      many 'diet' drinks and foods and beverages marketed as containing zero
      calories.

      The company has turned 20,000 bottles of Phoenix Organic Cola into
      mini-billboards carrying its 'Think Before You Drink' message, and
      highlighting the concerns that have been raised about aspartame.

      The bottles will be given away to consumers over the summer.
      [now winter here in the Northern Hemisphere]

      Company Directors Stefan Lepionka and Marc Ellis said that the Phoenix
      team had become aware of the controversy that has swirled around
      aspartame since it was approved for use in beverages in 1983, when they
      started doing research for a Phoenix Organics brand campaign.

      "Having read the Bressler Report of the FDA and other reports on the
      effects of aspartame, we had the living daylights scared out of all of
      us," said the Directors.

      Internationally the evidence is overwhelming;
      There are thousands of people who claim that aspartame made them sick.

      Our company has created a new section on its website at
      www.phoenixorganics.co.nz containing links to New Zealand and overseas
      websites with information on aspartame and the 92 different symptoms
      noted in over 10,000 complaints received by the US Food & Drug
      Administration.

      "We cannot believe that the NZ government has declared this safe in the
      face of such evidence."

      "Perhaps even scarier is the fact that large multinational companies
      have persuaded the New Zealand Government that it would be a great thing
      for our children's health to replace drinks available in schools that
      contain sugar, with brands containing aspartame.

      Phoenix Organics has contacted a number of groups that have been
      fighting to raise awareness of the health concerns surrounding aspartame
      and said the company will do whatever it can to support the overall aim
      to have the Government restrict and ban aspartame.

      "I applaud the efforts of the people who have battled indifference and
      hostility to have their concerns heard," said Stefan Lepionka.

      "People like Abby Cormack, who suffered for years before removing
      aspartame from her diet and completely recovering are banging their
      heads against official indifference and the power of the advertising dollar.

      The Safe Food Campaign and The Soil & Health Association and others have
      been fighting for years to get action on this issue."

      "We are determined to lend our weight to this fight."

      Both Stefan and Marc agreed "there would inevitably be accusations
      levelled that the company was leaping on to the issue of aspartame
      solely out of commercial interest.

      "If anyone takes time to read any of the very credible studies and
      research that cast doubt on the safety of aspartame, and is then happy
      to continue drinking and eating products that contain it, then that's an
      informed choice. We may think they're fools, but that's their right.

      Coca Cola has responded to media attention on aspartame by launching a
      website www.gettherealfacts.co.nz that reflects the official line on
      this highly controversial artificial sweetener.

      "Its interesting that you don't see anything about Coke's multimillion
      dollar investment in a natural, non-caloric sweetener, called stevia.
      Coke uses stevia as a sweetener in its diet drinks in Japan and is
      trying to get approval to use it in the US and elsewhere.

      Phoenix Organics is a brand that has always been about using natural
      ingredients and leaving science in the lab, not bottling it.

      "We are committed to ensuring that the public is in an informed position
      from which to make their own decisions."

      Note:

      The Bressler Report can be read here: http://www.dorway.com/bressler.txt

      It was produced by the US FDA on failures and omissions on GD Searle's
      trials conducted in support of their application for the approval of
      aspartame. Before political appointments to the FDA saw the
      administration approve the drug for beverages in 1983.

      ENDS

      http://www.phoenixorganics.co.nz/Home

      Phoenix Organics
      87 Henderson Valley Road,
      PO Box 121100, Henderson, Waitakere 0650, New Zealand

      Phone +64 9 837 6740
      Fax +64 9 837 6759
      Email contactus@...

      Australia
      Melbourne Trade enquiries
      Soulfresh
      Phone +61 0 3 9416 7165
      Fax +61 0 3 9416 7168
      Email enquiries@...

      Sydney Trade enquiries
      Karma Goods
      Phone +61 0 2 9666 3677
      Fax +61 0 2 9666 3977
      Email info@...

      Other Australia enquiries
      Phone +64 9 837 6740
      Fax +64 9 837 6759
      Email australia@...

      http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0710/S00146.htm

      Charlie’s to put fizz back into soft drinks market
      Tuesday, 9 October 2007, 11:37 am
      Press Release: Charlie's

      Charlie’s Soda Co. to put fizz back into soft drinks market

      Local beverage maker Charlie’s is set to shake up the soft drinks market
      with the release of a range of healthy natural fruit sodas launched
      under new brand Charlie’s Soda Co.

      Charlie’s Soda Co. was born to meet the increasing demand of health
      conscious New Zealanders for quality, natural drinks based on natural
      ingredients and recipes.

      And true to Charlie’s brand heritage, Charlie’s Soda Co. drinks have
      nothing artificial in them, no added sugar or preservatives.

      Just pure fruit juice and a splash of sparkling water.

      One bottle of Charlie’s Soda provides a full serving of fruit along with
      the hydration of sparkling water.

      Produced to fill the gap in the market between juice and soft drinks,
      Charlie’s Soda Co. is set to capture a slice of New Zealand’s lucrative
      soft drinks market, worth an estimated $215 million annually.

      Health and innovation are two of the major factors driving growth in New
      Zealand cold drinks with the top five growth categories found in either
      water or juice.

      “We wanted a sparkling fruit juice that was health-conscious and
      appealed to well informed consumers who pay attention to what they eat
      and drink. Our sodas have that Charlie’s attitude and are the healthy
      alternative to current soft drink offerings.

      With inspiration from one of Mrs Ellis’ time honoured recipes we have
      created a fantastic range of natural fruit sodas with no added sugar, no
      additives and no preservatives.

      We wanted recipes that harked back to good old-fashioned unadulterated
      fruit sodas, just like nature intended,” says Ron Curteis, Marketing
      Manager, Charlie’s.

      Group CEO Stefan Lepionka says Charlie’s Soda Company was formed to
      bring a bit of tradition and nostalgia back to the way we drink soft drinks.

      “Using our expertise in juice we combine that nostalgia and a high
      quality natural offering with a bit of Charlie’s cheekiness thrown in.

      Our ad campaign fronted by Marc (Ellis) is sure to demonstrate this to
      our loyal consumers. For a taste visit our website
      www.charliessoda.co.nz .”

      Charlie’s Soda Co’s natural fruit sodas come in five unique flavours:
      Lemon, Clementine, Grapefruit, Cranberry, and the antioxidant-rich
      ‘super fruit’ Pomegranate.

      Charlie’s Soda Co. is available in supermarkets, convenience stores and
      selected cafés nationwide.

      Notes to Editors:

      - Charlie’s Group is a NZX listed New Zealand beverage company
      established in 1999 by childhood friends Stefan Lepionka and Marc Ellis
      to provide quality, freshly squeezed juice to consumers.

      - The company expanded their offerings in between 2005 and 2006 with the
      introduction of their Not-From-Concentrate Smoothy’s and Old Fashioned
      Quenchers; and the acquisition of Phoenix Organics.

      - Charlie’s Soda Co. is the latest in their range of high-quality,
      natural juices and beverages.

      ENDS

      http://www.charlies.co.nz/#sodaCo/sodaCo chat@...

      http://www.charlies.co.nz/#aboutus/story/2000/Ellis%20in%20Levin%20to%20promote%20juicer

      http://www.charlies.co.nz/#aboutus/story/2001/Getting%20By%20with%20a%20little%20help...

      http://www.charlies.co.nz/#investors/ceo CEO update 2007.11.22
      ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

      6 cans diet soda give as much methanol as a quart of red wine -- body
      makes methanol into formaldehyde and formic acid -- main cause of
      alcohol hangovers: Murray 2007.12.19

      The aspartame content of two liters diet soda, 5.6 12-oz cans, is 1,120
      mg, releasing 11 % as 123 mg methanol.

      The body quickly turns methanol from aspartame into formaldehyde, and
      then largely into formic acid.

      details on 6 epidemiological studies since 2004 on diet soda (mainly
      aspartame) correlations, as well as 14 other mainstream studies on
      aspartame toxicity since summer 2005: Murray 2007.12.19
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.htm
      Wednesday, November 14, 2007
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1490

      "Of course, everyone chooses, as a natural priority, to enjoy peace,
      joy, and love by helping to find, quickly share, and positively act upon
      evidence about healthy and safe food, drink, and environment."

      Rich Murray, MA Room For All rmforall@...
      505-501-2298 1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505

      http://RMForAll.blogspot.com new primary archive

      group with 115 members, 1,497 posts in a public archive

      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.htm
      Wednesday, November 28, 2007
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1496
      explosion in numbers of children with serious food allergies has
      bewildered experts and parents, Helen Francombe, The Australian
      2007.11.17: role of formic acid from methanol in liquors and aspartame,
      Murray 2007.11.28

      Aspartame Controversy, in Wikipedia democratic
      encyclopedia, 72 references (including AspartameNM # 864
      and 1173 by Murray, brief fair summary of much more research:
      Murray 2007.01.01

      Souring on fake sugar (aspartame), Jennifer Couzin,
      Science 2007.07.06: 4 page letter to FDA from 12 eminent
      USA toxicologists re two Ramazzini Foundation
      cancer studies 2007.06.25: Murray 2007.07.18

      Artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose) and coloring
      agents will be banned from use in newly-born and baby foods,
      the European Parliament decided: Latvia ban in schools 2006:
      Murray 2007.07.12

      stevia to be approved and cyclamates limited by
      Food Standards Australia New Zealand:
      JMC Geuns critiques of two recent stevia studies by Nunes:
      Murray 2007.05.29

      Sainsbury's supermarket chain in UK details its bans of aspartame,
      sodium benzoate, and artificial flavourings and colours: Carol Key,
      Customer Manager: Murray 2007.11.09

      more from The Independent, UK, Martin Hickman, re ASDA
      (unit of Wal-Mart Stores) and Marks & Spencer ban of
      aspartame, MSG, artificial chemical additives and dyes
      to prevent ADHD in kids: Murray 2007.05.16
      http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2548747.ece

      ASDA (unit of Wal-Mart Stores WMT.N) and Marks & Spencer
      will join Tesco and also Sainsbury to ban and limit
      aspartame, MSG, artificial flavors dyes preservatives additives,
      trans fats, salt "nasties" to protect kids from ADHD:
      leading UK media: Murray 2007.05.15

      Coca-Cola and Cargill Inc., after years of development,
      with 24 patents, will soon sell rebiana (stevia)
      in drinks and foods: Murray 2007.05.31

      Coca-Cola, Cargill Inc., PureCircle global operations market stevia for
      foods and drinks: Murray 2007.11.12

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

      http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Aspartame

      folic acid prevents neurotoxicity from formic acid, made by body from
      methanol impurity in alcohol drinks [ also 11 % of aspartame ], BM
      Kapur, PL Carlen, DC Lehotay, AC Vandenbroucke, Y Adamchik, U. of
      Toronto, 2007 Dec., Alcoholism Cl. Exp. Res.: Murray 2007.11.27
      http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.htm
      Wednesday, November 27, 2007
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1495