[LITERATURE] Novala Takemoto ("The Wild Rose") Japanese Author/Fashion Designer

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2006
      Novala Takemoto
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novala_Takemoto
      http://www.novala.quilala.jp/index2.html#
      http://wildroselolita.livejournal.com/profile
      http://www.edrants.com/?m=20040727
      Picture: http://www.tbs.co.jp/kokoronosketch/i000630.html

      Novala Takemoto (Ž[±¾Ò°¤Ð¤é, Takemoto Nobara?, born January 26, 1968) is
      a Japanese author and fashion designer. He was born in Uji, near
      Kyoto. His name is translatable as "The Wild Rose." In 2003 and 2004
      he was nominated for the Mishima Literary Award. He designs a line
      of clothing featuring his own logo for Baby, the Stars Shine Bright
      and is consistently featured in the magazine Gothic & Lolita Bible.
      Known as the "Lolita Bard," he has done a lot to promote the Gothic
      Lolita lifestyle.

      A few of his favorite things are Alice and the Pirates, Vivienne
      Westwood, MILK, rockinghorse shoes, Christian Dior perfume, robots,
      science fiction, taxidermy, dolls, and Philip Glass. He also has
      quite a fascination with the Rococo era, and sometimes claims to
      have been born in the year 1745. It is said that he is a
      heterosexual man with the charisma of a young maiden.

      He received wide recognition for his collection of essays entitled
      Soleilnuit: For Becoming a Proper Young Lady, which were originally
      published in a Kansai free arts newspaper.

      Novala is best known for Shimotsuma Monogatari, titled Kamikaze
      Girls in English. The series was adapted to a manga and a film which
      was directed by Nakashima Tetsuya.

      Novels
      2000 Missin'
      2001 Soleilnuit: For Becoming a Proper Young Lady
      2001 Twins
      2001 Cafe
      2002 Patchwork
      2002 Shimotsuma Story
      2003 Princess Scale
      2003 Calps Alpis
      2003 A Child Abandoned by Deus
      2004 Lolita
      2004 Missin' 2 and Casaco
      2004 Alice's Adventures in Fantasyland
      2005 Emily
      2005 Sicilienne

      ===

      Sore Inu by Takemoto Novala - I Don't Need Any Friends!
      Translated by ❧The Wild Rose
      http://www.curiosityvalentine.com/novala1.html

      As spring passes, the problem that always comes about is, "I don't
      have any friends. What should I do?" In April, the classes change
      and it is a different environment, so with that oblivious look on
      your face, before you know it, the people you haven't met have all
      formed their own groups.

      Without even realizing it, you end up alone. When summer comes along
      you're almost released from this problem, because you've gotten
      together with your friends for a fun summer vacation, but even
      during this season there are those who cannot make any friends. Such
      people can only give up.

      Continue to live alone, with strength. Young ladies do not need
      friends. Young ladies are sublime, isolated things. The typical
      behavior of young boys' heroes is to form a group...Tom Sawyer and
      Huckleberry, Getter Robo combined three people, even Jules Verne's
      novel "Two Years Holiday" had to have fifteen boys in it, none of
      them independent.

      But little girls are different. Alice had her Wonderland adventure
      by herself. When Anju and Zushiou were kidnapped by Sansho Dayu,
      Anzu stayed there, alone, and allowed for her little brother to
      escape.

      Then there's Meg-chan; "They say she is a person who can do
      anything, the little witch Meg is alone" is how the song goes. Young
      ladies have an "absolute existence." "Absolute" in this case means
      they cannot be compared to anything else, since there is
      this "uniqueness," they don't need any friends.

      Just like Ken-san from a yakuza movie, young ladies are stylishly
      alone. "But if I just opened my heart I could make friends," they
      say, but you can't open your heart to strangers without it being
      wasted on them.

      A young lady is like a brilliant sparkling jewel, and it would be
      reckless to allow people to see that. The easily broken if touched
      glasswork has a hard shell covering it. Behind this cold disposition
      and tightly braided hair, perhaps from far away someone will stare
      and think, what a beautiful, pitiful young girl. But this type of
      worldy, useless flattery is unnecessary. You should also be okay
      with it if they say, "What an arrogant child" or "What a melancholy
      child."

      If you want to make friends because you can't endure eating lunch by
      yourself, realize how stupid that sounds. Just like the gorgeous
      aristocrat "Butterfly Wife" Ryuzaki Reiko from "Ace wo Nerae!",
      lonliness is always a queen's sidekick. As for me, my only close
      friends are my TV and my houseplant.

      ===============

      Lolita Fashion
      http://www.uta.edu/english/tidwell/JapaneseFashion/JapaneseFashion--
      Lolita.htm

      A form of cuteness is a basic element of Lolita fashion, another
      major trend represented in FRUiTS. Lolita style relies on a
      childlike innocence but is differentiated from kawaii/cute style in
      part in that it is not childish. Lolitas do not carry toys; instead
      they dress in clothes that are simultaneously childlike (pinafores
      and somewhat formless dresses such as a young girl of an earlier era
      might wear, quite often in rather subdued colors or pastels) and
      elegant in their delicate attention to detail. Novelist Novala
      Takemoto, whose characters are often Lolitas themselves, describes
      Lolita fashion as being ¡°as much a way of living as a fashion
      statement,¡± going on to say, ¡°Lolita is a form of aestheticism. I
      think Lolita is a condition in which two conflicting elements co-
      exist without contradiction, for example, something grotesque as
      well as cute¡± (Miyuke Kondo).

      One common misperception on the part of outsiders looking in at this
      subculture is that it is somehow related to Vladimir Nabokov¡¯s
      Lolita in theme. The name and the style¡¯s simultaneous emphasis on
      childlike innocence and adultlike elegance makes such comparisons
      tempting and virtually inevitable. However, one Lolita writes about
      the misperception that Lolita fashion has anything to do with
      sexuality, saying, ¡°in an era where we are terminally rushed, over
      schedualed [sic] and pressured to be prefect [sic] at all times, the
      Lolita culture makes us take time to be polite, kind, and graceful.
      who wouldn¡¯t [sic] want to go back in time to a simpler, slower
      youth, where innocence and beauty are safe and not shunned or
      threatened?¡± (response to Pinckard). Lolitas themselves do not see
      what they are doing as at all sexual or a reflection upon Japanese
      men¡¯s sexual desires. In fact, it is repeatedly pointed out by both
      men and women that Lolita fashion is not generally found sexually
      attractive. In fact, Lolitas often find themselves shunned socially
      or even dumped by boyfriends because of their adherence to this
      style.

      Another points out that the association with Nabokov¡¯s Lolita is
      diminished and resignified by creating a new spelling for the word
      in Japanese. She writes, ¡°By creating an alternate spelling for
      Lolita, they could create a world for themselves. Not only does it
      keep the perverts out, but it allows Lolitas to find pages by other
      Lolitas without having to wade through a bunch of kiddy porn. . . .
      Yes, the term comes from Nabokov¡¯s book. Lolitas know this. But
      the Japanese have a tendency of taking terms and reshaping their
      meanings for their own purposes. Sometimes they even make up new
      meanings¡± (response to Pinckard). The original term is emptied of
      its original meaning and given an entirely new, more positive and
      affirmative meaning by the Lolitas who take part in this subculture.

      Once the potential sexual reason for dressing in this way has been
      eliminated, what reasons remain? Some see Lolita fashion as a
      result of cultural anxieties regarding economic insecurities of the
      1990s: ¡®¡°They live in a society that doesn¡¯t feel very hopeful
      about its future,¡¯ says Rika Kayama, a psychiatrist. By dressing up
      like babies, the Lolitas are attempting to hang on to the carefree
      days of childhood, she says¡± (Parker). For others, Lolita style is
      a way of connecting with the past, specifically an innocent,
      beautiful version of the past. ¡°¡®I¡¯d like to go back in time, like
      to the era of Marie Antoinette,¡¯ says Yoko Oguchi, a 24-year-old
      nurse who attended a pop concert in Tokyo wearing a red pinafore, a
      gigantic white bow in her hair and white high-heeled Mary Janes. ¡®I
      wish the whole world were like this¡¯¡± (Parker). This nostalgia,
      whether personal or cultural, seems to be an inescapable element of
      Lolita fashion, one that experts find disturbing but the Lolitas
      themselves seem to find comfort in.

      Others see Lolita fashion as merely a way to get
      noticed: ¡°¡®Dressing up like this and having people stare at them
      makes them feel their existence is worth something,¡¯ says Yo Yahata,
      a clinical psychologist who has done case studies and written
      articles about aspects of Lolita culture¡± (Parker).

      For many Lolitas themselves, though, Lolita fashion is empowering, a
      much more positive experience than the experts¡¯ analyses allows
      for. For instance, ¡°Atsuko Takagi, 23, who recently visited Tokyo
      from northern Japan, walked around in a ruffle-covered, black-and-
      white dress and says that the Lolita style gives her a sense of
      power. ¡®I normally look down at my feet, but when I¡¯m wearing my
      Lolita outfit, I¡¯m more confident,¡¯ she says. ¡®This is the real me¡¯¡±
      (Parker).

      ========

      ¡°Kamikaze Girls¡± Creator and Lolita Fashion Icon Novala Takemoto
      Visits Los Angeles

      Novala Takemoto, Japanese cult author and fashion icon, will make
      his first U.S. appearance as a Guest of Honor at Pacific Media Expo
      (PMX) on Oct. 28 and 29. Internationally acclaimed, award-winning
      film Kamikaze Girls (Shimotsuma Monogatari, 2004), based on
      Takemoto¡¯s signature novel, will screen at PMX.

      Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) September 15, 2006 -- Novala Takemoto,
      Japanese cult author and fashion icon, will make his first U.S.
      appearance as a Guest of Honor at Pacific Media Expo (PMX) on Oct.
      28 and 29. Internationally acclaimed, award-winning film Kamikaze
      Girls (Shimotsuma Monogatari, 2004), based on Takemoto¡¯s signature
      novel, will screen at PMX.

      ¡°Pacific Media Expo has been looking for guests who represent the
      convergence of all aspects of Pacific Rim media and culture. Mr.
      Takemoto¡¯s accomplishments as a fashion designer, novelist and now
      the creator of a hit film in both Japan and the U.S. makes him the
      perfect Renaissance man to represent these trends to the United
      States,¡± said Mike Tatsugawa, PMX Event Chair. ¡°With the growing
      popularity of the sweet Lolita fashion trend in Japan and the United
      States we felt that Halloween weekend was the perfect time to bring
      all his fans together.¡±

      Takemoto¡¯s debut novel, Sewing Machine (Mishin, 2000) sold 500,000
      copies. Later works Emily (2002) and Lolita (2004) were nominated
      for the prestigious Yukio Mishima Literary Prize. Kamikaze Girls
      (Shimotsuma Monogatari, 2004) depicts the seemingly odd friendship
      between a frustrated and bored country girl fixated on the lifestyle
      of 18th-century frilly French dress, and a spunky member of an all-
      female biker gang. The film pays homage to fellow cultural
      luminaries Tank Girl, The Outsiders and Kill Bill while
      incorporating homegrown Japanese eccentricities.

      Once labeled the ¡°Lolita Bard¡± by overseas newspapers, Takemoto
      passionately supports the Lolita fashion style, which emphasizes
      Victorian-style and Edwardian fashion girl's dress and often aims to
      imitate the look of porcelain dolls. He created his own clothing and
      product line, Pour Lolita, in collaboration with Baby, The Stars
      Shine Bright, a leading boutique chain created in 1988.

      About Pacific Media Expo:
      America¡¯s first major trade show dedicated to Asian-Pacific popular
      culture and entertainment media, Pacific Media Expo (PMX) is an
      industry event sponsored by the Pacific Media Association. Pacific
      Media Expo will be held Oct. 28 and 29 at the Hilton Los Angeles
      Airport. The show will feature honored guests, live performances,
      panel discussions, autograph sessions, Asian cinema and animation
      video rooms, art exhibitions and one of the country¡¯s only exhibit
      halls dedicated to Asian media and pop culture.

      About Pacific Media Association:
      Pacific Media Association is dedicated to promoting the Pacific
      Rim¡¯s entertainment media industries. PMA specializes in Asia¡¯s
      cultural exports, such as anime and manga, music and live
      entertainment, live-action television and films, and diverse
      cultural lifestyles, while building creative communities and
      promoting Asian awareness within the United States. PMA is the
      parent of Pacific Media Expo. The Pacific Media Association is
      located in Los Angeles, Calif., USA.

      For more information about Pacific Media Expo, please visit
      http://www.PacificMediaExpo.com or e-mail.

      Business inquiries please write to:
      Pacific Media Expo
      914 Westwood Blvd, Suite 586
      Los Angeles, CA 90024-2905

      =======================

      ¡°Britney Spears was NEVER a Lolita!¡±*
      http://www.edrants.com/?m=20040727

      Japanese novelist Novala Takemoto writes ¡°Lolita¡± novels. Lolita in
      Japan ¡ª like Lolita here ¡ª has taken on a different meaning than the
      traditional Nabokovian one. As this Asahi Shimbun story explains, in
      Japan, Takemoto is worshipped by the Lolita crowd, ¡°girls and women
      who favor lace and bonnets and ribbons and frills.¡±

      The piece goes on and on about his outlandish apartment and person,
      but finally talks about his work. (It¡¯s not unlike pieces about
      horror writers are usually set up, only the focus here is on how
      outrageous he is, not how normal.)

      Dressed in a mixed Vivian Westwood, Comme des Garcons outfit, he
      serves iced tea in Alice in Wonderland glasses, setting the
      beverages on strawberry-patterned coasters.

      Takemoto, who will not reveal his age-a ploy to keep his mysterious
      aura intact-joined the literary crowd with his first novel ¡°Mishin'¡¯
      in 2000. It is the tale of beautiful Lolita punk band vocalist,
      Mishin, and the high school girl who adores her.

      Though Takemoto was nominated for the Yukio Mishima Literary Prize
      for ¡°Emily'¡¯ and ¡°Lolita'¡¯ in 2003 and 2004 respectively, it
      was ¡°Shimotsuma Monogatari'¡¯ (Shimotsuma story) that made him a
      celebrity. A movie based on the book was a huge hit in Japan this
      year. It is scheduled for release as ¡°Kamikaze Girls'¡¯ in seven
      countries including the United States, Italy and Spain.

      Known as a novelist with the heart of an otome (maiden), Takemoto
      says the Lolita sense of beauty is the most important aspect of his
      writing and his life. In Japan the word ¡°Lolita'¡¯ conjures up images
      of girls decked out in outlandishly frilly garb, but he says it is
      as much a way of living as a fashion statement.

      ¡°Lolita is a form of aestheticism. I think Lolita is a condition in
      which two conflicting elements co-exist without contradiction, for
      example, something grotesque as well as cute,'¡¯ he says. ¡°A Lolita
      loves Alice in Wonderland because the chaotic situation in
      Wonderland is very Lolitalike.'¡¯

      I do like the idea that boys can be Lolitas, too. It only seems fair.