[DIVERSITY] Breaking Through the "Bamboo Ceiling"

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2006
      Equipping Asian Americans with Tools to Break the `Bamboo Ceiling'
      Pacific Citizen, Profile of Author, Lynda Lin
      http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?
      article_id=1ee4b76c8257d4411cfd5cb17880aa0f
      For more information on Jane Hyun, visit: www.crossroadcareers.com

      When Jane Hyun worked as a graduate recruiter for Fortune 500
      companies, it was her job to scour college campuses and cut through
      rehearsed lines of half-truths to find the strongest candidates for
      coveted job openings. But in her many searches, she noticed some
      familiar traits in Asian Pacific American interviewees that she saw
      in herself when she graduated from Cornell University and first
      entered the workforce — a manifest conflict between her built-in
      Asian values and adopted Western corporate values.

      "I came to this country at the age of eight … and it's this sort of
      bi-cultural experience where you are raised one way and then you
      enter the corporate world and suddenly, you have to operate on
      different standards," said Hyun, who is Korean American. "I wanted
      to do something about that experience for a real long time."

      So when Hyun visited campuses to recruit new hires and saw the same
      characteristics in young APAs, who were resume perfect but generally
      not willing to aggressively jockey for key job openings like other
      candidates, she decided to write a guide.

      "I wish I had this book when I graduated from college," said Hyun
      about her HarpersBusiness published book, "Breaking the Bamboo
      Ceiling: Career Strategies for Asians," which combines lessons from
      her seven years of experience as a career coach and human resources
      consultant with statistics and case studies about APAs in the work
      world.

      As a career guide, "Breaking the Bamboo Ceiling" takes on the
      daunting task of explaining and exposing myths about Asian employees
      while offering self-assessment exercises to identify fortes. Chapter
      topics range from the pragmatic lessons about mastering the face-to-
      face interview to more thoughtful exercises about how to be true to
      yourself.

      "It's a guide that I needed for myself," said Hyun, 37. Like many
      other APAs, Hyun battled the internalized need for stability early
      in her career when she made the leap over to human resources, which
      she described as being more nebulous.

      "Certainly, from an Asian parent's standpoint, it's a move that
      demands the question `What are you doing?' There's no real license,
      no graduate degree needed to back it up. I did feel that type of
      pressure within myself wondering, `Do I have the wherewithal?'"

      Now the founder and principal of her own career coaching and
      diversity consulting company, Crossroads Associates, Hyun identifies
      Asian cultural values such as filial pressure, fear of shame and
      deep-rooted respect for authority as some possible roadblocks to
      career success.

      "Asian values are often at odds with western corporate values," Hyun
      said. "For example, when an Asian employee is challenged by a senior
      instead of becoming strident and saying, `I did my homework. I stand
      by my numbers,' [he or she] backs down and apologizes … it's one
      reaction I think could come from cultural values."

      It is also, Hyun explains in the book, an example of a self-
      imposed "bamboo ceiling" that boxes APA workers into career ruts and
      reinforces stereotypes about Asian employees' tendency to avoid
      conflict.

      Hyun coined the phrase "bamboo ceiling" in the title of the book to
      raise awareness about personal (cultural influences or relating
      styles) and organizational (companies that are not truly inclusive)
      barriers. The phrase is also more culture-specific than the well-
      known "glass ceiling," a phrase that originated as an illustration
      of women struggling to climb the corporate ladder.

      With increasing population numbers and a growing presence in the
      labor force, APAs only make up a dismal 0.29 percent of corporate
      officers and up to 1 percent of board seats in Fortune 500
      companies, a reality which Hyun says creates a demand for the book.
      In an oversaturated career guidebook market (8,000-plus related
      books on Barnesandnoble.com), very few are geared toward minorities
      and no other book offers the APA specific self-help like Hyun's.

      "It's a little bit sad for me to know that there are not too many
      career resources out there for minorities. What there isn't a lot of
      is the mass trade resources where some on the street could say, `I
      want to know about breaking into the corporate world as a minority.'
      It could be that there are not a lot of minority human resources
      professionals."

      When Hyun started in the human resources business in the 1990s, she
      noticed that the only company-run diversity awareness resources
      offered were sensitivity training sessions. Now, she travels the
      country operating an extensive speaking schedule for private
      corporate events and some public speaking engagements. She is also
      doing a book tour where she said APAs and non-Asians have given her
      positive reinforcement on her first book.

      "The book speaks about cultural fluency that does not just pertain
      to Asian Americans," said Hyun, adding that many have commented on
      finding similarities between themselves and case studies reported in
      the book regardless of ethnicity.