[SPORTS] Baseball Executive Kim Ng of the L.A. Dodgers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2006
      Baseball's Female Pioneer
      Kim Ng Wants To Become The Big Leagues' First General Manager
      http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/08/eveningnews/main1786509.sht
      ml

      (CBS) Baseball players have been called the Boys of Summer, but for
      the Los Angeles Dodgers, it's not just the guys swinging for the
      fences.

      As CBS News correspondent Anthony Mason reports, the team has a
      rising star on the team who's breaking gender barriers.

      If you ask Kim Ng if she thinks she's a pioneer, she says, "No, I
      don't – only when people remind me."

      Ng is the Dodger's Assistant General Manager, and the top prospect
      to become the first female General Manager in Major League Baseball
      history.

      "You know, I've loved sports all my life but never really thought
      that this was a possibility," she says.

      Ng's career began on the high school softball team in Ridgewood, New
      Jersey. She broke-in to the majors as in intern with the Chicago
      White Sox and rose to assistant G.M. with the New York Yankees,
      before sliding into L.A.'s front office.

      Now the 37-year-old helps negotiate player trades and millions of
      dollars in contracts.

      Ng says she definitely wants to become a general manger, so much so
      that she's "willing to wait as long as it takes."

      There are 30 general manager jobs in baseball, but a woman has never
      run the on-field operations of a ball club in the big leagues. The
      same goes for the NBA, the NFL and the NHL.

      In the past, the argument had always been that you had to have
      played on a professional team to run a professional team. But the
      recent success of young General Managers – like Boston's Theo
      Epstein, who never played professionally – has sparked demand for
      gifted minds regardless of experience or gender.

      "It's going to take an owner willing to stick his or her neck out,"
      says sports writer Steve Henson, "Maybe the owner will be a woman –
      we've had a couple in baseball – to go ahead and make that first
      hire."

      Emily Christy is the general manager of one of the Dodger's minor
      league teams. The Princeton grad handles everything from marketing
      to helping lost kids in her ballpark.

      "She's the goal to look to," Christy says of Ng. "Basically she
      stands for it being possible to get there."

      But the minor league GM doesn't know how long it will take for a
      woman to take the reigns in the big leagues.

      "I'm not sure," Christy says. "We are getting closer. I would not be
      surprised if it weren't in the next few years."

      But, Ng thinks the last step in her climb might be the biggest and
      toughest one to take.

      "The difference between an assistant GM and a general manager is
      huge," she says. "I think having to pay your dues is a big part of
      it – and that's what I am doing."

      The return on that investment could make baseball history