[COMMUNITY] Jin Mosely - Irish/Korean Wife of Shane Mosley

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2006
      She's Looking Forward to the Day the Fighting Stops
      Bill Dwyre
      http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dwyre11jul11,1,1644110.column?
      coll=la-headlines-sports

      When Jin Mosley's husband goes to work Saturday night, he will be
      bashing somebody in the head and getting bashed back. It is what he
      does and what she dislikes.

      "I have hated boxing from the first day," she says.

      She is relatively new to this world. She met Shane Mosley seven
      years ago and married him three years later. On the biggest night of
      his career, June 17, 2000, the night he beat Oscar De La Hoya at
      Staples Center, she showed up late because she had been shopping at
      the mall, then left early to meet some friends, thinking he had lost.

      "I don't see the attraction of the sport," she says. "When I first
      met Shane, I had no idea people actually made money boxing. I like
      it now because I have to, but when I watch it, I mostly watch people
      watching it."

      When she met Mosley, through some friends on Long Island in New
      York, where she is from, she says she had an immediate reaction when
      told he was a professional boxer.

      "I asked him what his Plan B was," she says.

      For the former Jin Sheehan — "I'm Korean Irish. My father is a CPA
      and MBA and my mother is right off the boat from Korea," she says —
      Plan B becomes more crucial as the fights keep coming.

      Mosley's junior-middleweight (154 pounds) rematch Saturday night
      with Fernando Vargas at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas will be his 47th
      pro fight. He has been beaten four times, twice by Vernon Forrest
      and twice by Winky Wright, and beaten up a little in a couple of
      those. He also, as his wife is quick to point out, fought more than
      250 amateur fights. Mosley will turn 35 on Sept. 7.

      Jin Mosley, 29, is not a fade-into-the-background type. She does not
      join the entourage, she leads it. She has taken over many of the
      business decisions involving her husband's career and has ruffled
      some feathers. She is happy with their current connection to De La
      Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and Chief Executive Richard Schaefer's
      business savvy. And she is willing to juggle this while maintaining
      a fairly normal home life in La Verne with four children.

      Even so, she is pressing for a quick arrival of Plan B. She reads
      the newspapers, sees the stories about boxers going into their old
      age punch drunk, eventually dying of pugilistic dementia.

      "Who do you think gets hit more, the heavyweights or the lighter
      guys?" she asks.

      She talks about Levander Johnson, the boxer who went into a coma and
      died of brain damage after a fight in September.

      "Shane went and visited him," she says. "He felt he should do that,
      since he was on his card.

      "After that, I sat Shane down and said, 'OK, what's the plan?' "

      She talks about a weekend trip she and Shane took last year, to the
      Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, N.Y. There were exhibitions,
      awards ceremonies and a fancy dinner. Many of the boxers also
      visited a hospital and convalescent home.

      "I looked around," she says, "and it was hard to tell who were the
      boxers and who were the patients."

      Shane Mosley is bright-eyed, quick-witted and fun to be around. A
      conversation with him raises no concerns. Now.

      "I'm paranoid and a hypochondriac, anyway," Jin Mosley says. "I
      think he's safe. Now I read stuff and I guess I've got to wait and
      worry 10 to 20 years. With Shane, I didn't really see him sustaining
      much damage, but that first Vernon Forrest fight, after that, I
      said, 'I've got to sit him down and talk.' "

      Her wish is that her husband gets another match around November,
      then fights perhaps twice more next year, then steps out of the ring
      for good. Plan B is that he stays in the boxing business, just not
      the part where he gets hit in the head.

      "I don't want my kids growing up, knowing that Daddy was an ex-
      boxing champion and now he is working at McDonald's," she says.

      ====

      http://www.braggingrightscorner.com/hoyarevolution071805.html
      "Oscar and I have had our wars in the ring, but outside of it, we've
      always been friends with a mutual respect for each other," said
      Mosley. "To have this opportunity to give back to the sport I love
      is an honor for me, and I am committed to the same type of
      excellence in my new role that I have always exhibited in the ring."

      "Shane Mosley took the hard road to boxing superstardom, and his
      knowledge of the ups and downs of the business will help our current
      and future fighters immensely," said Golden Boy Promotions CEO
      Richard Schaeffer. "And I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge
      the instrumental role Jin Mosley played in facilitating this
      unprecedented partnership. I wish more wives were this helpful and
      concerned when it came to their husbands' careers."

      ===========

      Yoko Mosley
      http://www.nypost.com/sports/the_rumble_sports_.htm

      Jin Mosley is the wife and business partner of junior middleweight
      star Shane Mosley. HBO Sports is airing a "Countdown Special" to
      help market the Mosley-Fernando Vargas pay-per-view rematch Saturday
      in Las Vegas and Jin Mosley pulls no punches during her interview on
      her highly visible role in a sport controlled by men:

      "They dubbed me as Yoko Ono. Which I guess she was known for
      breaking up the Beatles. I'm very direct and I'm very blunt. And in
      this business it's all smiles and lies."

      Shane, meanwhile, could be found poolside at the MGM Grand
      yesterday, asking what's up with the Knicks

      =========

      http://ringtalk.com/index.php?action=fullnews&id=65
      When Shane's wife Jin Mosley jettisoned trainer/father Jack Mosley
      from the corner, her and Shane brought in "Hollywood Joe" Goossen.
      Although the pair worked well in tandem, they couldn't see eye to
      eye on training in Big Bear, CA, (Joe has his own gym in LA)
      something Mosley was adamant about. Thus, Goossen was out, and John
      David Jackson was in! The former junior middle and middleweight
      champion, Jackson has taken Shane back in time. With his win over
      once-beaten David Estrada in April, the now 34-year old Mosley
      showed that he could perform well at the (dreaded for him)
      welterweight limit of 147 lbs.

      ============

      http://15rounds.com/Columns/mswann/boxingch-092205.php
      Mosley has changed trainers, going from his father Jack to Joe
      Goossen to John David Jackson, dropped strength and conditioning
      coach Darryl Hudson, fired attorney Judd Burstein, reputedly one of
      the best in the business, changed promoters, dropped a top PR man,
      announced that he and his wife Jin would handle his fight
      negotiations, and most recently, he landed on the Golden Boy team.
      That's a lot of distractions for a comebacking fighter, and it
      doesn't even include the BALCO connection, whatever that might be.

      Why would an elite athlete change a winning formula? Other fighters
      have lost fights without making wholesale changes. A boxing insider
      blames Shane's problems on his wife, Jin.

      The insider claims that, "Jin Mosley runs Shane Mosley's life and
      anybody that Shane start to like or gets close to, Jin basically
      severs…That's why he's opening fights for other fighters now… Look
      at Shane Mosley's record before he met Jin Mosley and look at it
      now."

      As harsh as that point of view may appear, the fact is that Mosley
      is no longer a championship level fighter. He can still trade on his
      name, but not his talent.