[TELEVISION] Yunjin Kim: Across Continents

  • chiayuan25
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2006
      Yunjin Kim: Across Continents
      Interview by Scott Juba
      The Trades
      Published: June 28, 2006

      Copyright © 2005 ABC, Inc. / ART STREIBER

      Many actresses would be content with having success on one
      continent, but Yunjin Kim reaches a much broader audience. Already
      an established star in Asia, Kim is now drawing acclaim in the U.S.
      for her role on the hit ABC drama, Lost, in which she plays a Korean
      woman in a turbulent marriage.

      Lost executive producer Damon Lindelof says Kim's crossover appeal
      reflects the level of her acting talent. "Quite simply, acting
      talent is acting talent," he tells me. "The U.S. is traditionally
      slower to respond to Asian actors as `stars,' but the fact that
      Yunjin simply is one is pretty much undeniable. At the end of the
      day, the fact that she is Korean is secondary to the fact that she
      is so facile with portraying human characters that audiences
      anywhere can respond to."

      While she may be popular on both continents, Kim says Asian and
      North American audiences differ in the type of entertainment that
      appeals to them. "I feel that Asian cinema and television dwell on
      the emotion of the characters a little more than the Americans do,"
      she says.

      Aside from Kim's own international appeal, Lost also has a fan
      following that spans the globe. "We get tons of fan mail," she
      says, "not just from the US but also from New Zealand, from France,
      from the UK – from everywhere."

      "What makes Lost special is that it's very universal," Kim says of
      the show's worldwide appeal. "There's always at least one character
      that lets you take the show to another country and people can relate
      to it, even though the show's not from that country. The characters
      are universal."

      Last season, Kim's character, Sun, learned she's pregnant. Given her
      initial reluctance to inform her husband, Jin, of the pregnancy and
      considering that a doctor previously diagnosed him as being sterile,
      Kim says Jin may not be the father of the child. "As soon as I got
      the script, I called [executive producer] Carlton Cuse and said, `I
      need to know so I can act.' He said, `I think it's good that you
      don't know. Do several different types of takes - some where you
      actually know for sure, some where you're very ambiguous about it
      and some where you're completely sure he's not the father of the
      baby.' So we did several takes, and the one that they used was the
      most ambiguous one. I think they want to leave it open for a reason,
      and it's driving me crazy that they're not even going to tell me
      about it."

      The show's ambiguities allow fans to form countless theories about
      what's really happening on the island. "Whatever theory you have, it
      kind of works," Kim says. "You could apply yourself to any
      character, any situation, and any theories you have kind of make
      sense."

      As far as Sun's pregnancy is concerned, Kim speculates that Michael,
      who Sun had a notable attraction to in the first season, may have
      fathered the baby. "That's another possibility that I think the
      producers are thinking about," she divulges. "It could be his baby.
      [It would really change the balance of things on the island],
      especially since he just left the island."

      Kim says she's not even ruling out more supernatural
      possibilities. "It could be that this is a mysterious island that
      mysteriously cured Jin's problem or it could be that it's not a
      person's baby. I've joked several times about it being the monster's
      baby. Maybe in season seven you see Sun coming out of the tent after
      giving birth to the child and the child is black smoke. Who knows?
      [Laughs]."

      Belief in the supernatural requires a high level of faith, so it's
      not surprising that the clash between science and faith is a
      recurring theme on the series. Kim says she would like to believe
      faith holds more importance on the show than science. "I'm more of a
      faith believer," she says. "There's so much you can prove through
      science. But I think that if you really believe in something,
      somehow the universe talks back at you. If you believe in it for the
      right reason, it brings you back to what you want and what you need
      out of life. I really believe in that. Maybe that's why I'd like to
      believe Lost is more about faith rather than science."

      When producers were casting Lost, their faith in Kim's acting
      ability led them to add Sun and Jin's characters to the series.
      Despite reports that Kim originally auditioned for the role of Kate,
      Kim tells me she knew from the beginning the producers had no
      intentions of casting her to play that part. "It was the only role
      available for me to read off of," she explains. "In the beginning,
      they made it clear to my agents that I wasn't coming in for Kate,
      but they wanted to have a meeting. They also needed me to get up on
      my feet and start acting."

      Several hours later, Kim received a call informing her that the
      producers were going to write the role of Sun for her. "It was the
      biggest compliment," she says.

      Since then, Kim has blossomed into one of television's rising stars.
      Although her work on the series has increased her notoriety, she
      remains true to her craft. She says, "When I'm on set, I'm the
      happiest."

      http://www.the-trades.com/article.php?id=4469