[PROFILE] China Chow - Actress and Model

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2002
      http://www.amorosity.com/China_Chow/
      China Chow, born in London, currently divides her time between New
      York City and Los Angeles. She is the child of late model/designer
      Tina Chow (who died to AIDS in 1992) and restauranteur Michael Chow
      (whose Mr. Chow restaurants are the talk of the town in London,
      Manhattan, and Beverly Hills), and has a younger brother.

      The first college graduate in her family, China graduated from
      Scripps College, majoring in psychology. She spent several years as a
      model, following in her mother's footsteps: She posed for Shiseido
      cosmetics in Japan, was seen on billboards for Tommy Hilfiger and
      Calvin Klein, was named one of Harper's Bazaar's "It Girls" in 1996,
      and was named in the December 1996 edition of Vogue magazine's "The
      Next Best-Dressed List."

      Her acting debut was in 1998's "The Big Hit", co-starring Mark
      Wahlberg, whom she is rumored to be dating.

      http://www.the-numbers.com/people/CCHOW.html
      BOX OFFICE DATA
      Appearances
      Released Movie Name Role 1st weekend US Gross Worldwide Gross
      2/2/2001 Head Over Heels Lisa $10,397,365 $10,397,365
      4/24/1998 Big Hit, The Keiko Nishi $10,809,424 $27,066,941
      $27,066,941
      Total Grosses $37,464,306 $37,464,306
      Average Gross $18,732,153
      Average Opening Weekend $10,809,424

      http://www.crazyleg.com/china_chow/
      Pictures

      http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thebighit/cast3.html
      CHINA CHOW (Keiko) makes her acting debut in THE BIG HIT. Two months
      after graduating from college, Chow was spotted by casting director
      Roger Mussenden. She is the daughter of the late fashion icon Tina
      Chow and Michael Chow, owner of the famed Mr. Chow's restaurants in
      New York, Los Angeles and London. Chow lives in Los Angeles and New
      York

      http://www.homunculus.com/eikona/chow.html
      Born April 1974 in London, England, UK .
      Encountering a name as contrived-sounding as "China Chow", you might
      easily assume its bearer to be an Asian porn actress or stripper, the
      latter category seemingly bound by law to use only the
      names "China", "Asia", "Jade", or "Jasmine". But unless you're a
      student of Tommy Hilfiger ads or are one of the teenage girls who
      went to see The Big Hit, you've probably never heard or seen the name
      anyway.

      In fact, though, China Chow is a minor model and an even more minor
      actress (her one movie that anyone's heard of so far is The Big Hit),
      although like Dweezle and Moon Unit she's probably better known for
      her parents — Michael Chow (of Mr. Chow restaurants fame) and Tina
      Chow (a fashion designer who famously died of AIDS in 1991) — or her
      fling with co-star Mark Wahlberg. Cute and doe-eyed but not
      strikingly beautiful, I suspect that her movie career will be
      confined to playing the Friend in most films, the Girl in films aimed
      and teenage girls where hot guys are the main draw. Of course, if
      Head Over Heels does well and China isn't too minor a character, she
      might get a slightly wider range of script offers. But probably not.

      http://www.homunculus.com/articles/chowchina/chowmaxim0005.html
      Conventional wisdom says that a hot, young model trying to make the
      leap to movies will last about as long as an order of fried dumplings
      at a Jenny Craig meeting. What makes China Chow, star of The Big Hit
      and the upcoming Head over Heels, unique (besides that mouth-watering
      name) is that Hollywood came knocking on her door.

      "Everything in my life is a fluke. A lucky fluke," she says with a
      shrug. Hardly. As the daughter of Michael Chow, owner of the hip Mr.
      Chow restaurants in Beverly Hills, Manhattan, and London, and the
      late fashion designer Tina Chow, China inherited a natural instinct
      for what's cool and the natural assets to hit it big as a model while
      still in her teens. "Modeling was more fun than anything else. It
      wasn't really a career," she says before admitting that this non-
      career included major campaigns for Tommy Hilfiger, DKNY, and the Gap
      and hanging out at parties with the likes of Kate Moss and Julia
      Roberts.

      Then about three years ago, a friend-of-a-neighbor casting director
      rang her up, hunting for an actress to play a role in The Big Hit, a
      Mark Wahlberg gangster comedy. "The whole thing happened so quickly,"
      she remembers. "When I showed up on location in Toronto to audition,
      I thought I was just going to be meeting a few people. Then they
      said, 'You can't go anywhere -- you're doing this movie. Roll the
      cameras!' I didn't have a chance to get freaked out.

      Even with no previous acting experience, China won favorable reviews.
      Playing a rich girl kidnapped by gangsters, she had to spend hours at
      a time tied up, gagged, and handcuffed. "When they would yell 'Cut,'
      the crew would ask me if I wanted my legs untied," she says. "It
      wasn't worth it because five minutes later I'd have to be tied up
      again. Then there was a scene where I got thrown into the trunk of a
      car and the trunk door slammed down on my head. Now, that hurt -- my
      brain bounced! But it was a blast."

      China won't say whether disorienting head injuries had anything to do
      with dating Wahlberg, but she does admit she's now single again: "And
      I'm not looking for anybody, either." Does this mean she's sworn off
      men? "I'm open to it. It's just that when you're looking, it never
      happens."

      It sounds like China is too busy to do much looking anyway, jetting
      between New York and Los Angeles working on new film projects. In the
      August release Head over Heels, China joins fellow models Shalom
      Harlow, Sarah O'Hare, and Ivana Milicevic, a pack of lovelies looking
      for a good time in Manhattan while being stalked by a literal lady-
      killer. "My character is a crass punk rocker," China says. "She's got
      dreadlocks and wears skintight leggings, belts with studs, Doc
      Martens, and T-shirts with tigers on them. She's a handful and an
      eyeful. Oh, and she's a lesbian art restorer."

      China isn't a lesbian or an art restorer, but only one of those
      fictional qualities meant sweaty girl-on-girl action. "I was worried
      about the sex scene," she laughs. "I was reading the script, and it
      said that my girlfriend and I are in bed 'going at it.' I was,
      like, 'Are we supposed to make out? Maybe I can just brush her hair
      and pull on it, and she can get off on that, like it's some weird
      fetish.' We ended up doing a take of a girl lying on top of me in her
      underwear and kissing my neck. The lights were hot, and it got kinda
      sticky." Compared to the hair thing, we think that was the right
      choice.

      "They also wanted me to make moaning noises into a microphone to add
      into the film later," China continues while even demonstrating --
      convincingly -- her technique. "Then the director actually asked me
      to growl. Growl? I don't know anybody who actually growls in the
      bedroom, do you? Oh, wait, this is Maxim. Never mind."

      http://www.homunculus.com/articles/chowchina/chowtorontosun980430.html
      Thursday, April 30, 1998
      China opens up to movie world
      Actor Chow prepares for fame as The Big Hit proves to be just that
      By BRUCE KIRKLAND -- Toronto Sun
      NEW YORK -- China Chow is making a big hit in The Big Hit as a
      neophyte actress with sex appeal and as fodder for the gossip columns
      because of her co-star Mark Wahlberg.

      Chow, the 24-year-old London-born daughter of Michael Chow, of Mr.
      Chow restaurant fame, may or may not be dating Wahlberg. Neither of
      them will say, although they have been seen together in Toronto,
      where The Big Hit was filmed last year, and in New York, where it
      made its world premiere.

      "I don't want to talk about that," she says, giggling like the
      kidnapped schoolgirl she plays in The Big Hit, an action-packed send-
      up of kung fu and hit-man movies.

      "But I'll tell you one thing, the hard thing was acting like I didn't
      like getting kidnapped by the four of them!"

      She's talking about Wahlberg and co-stars Lou Diamond Phillips,
      Bokeem Woodbine and Antonio Sabato Jr. These young guns have
      propelled The Big Hit into the number one box office hit of the
      current week.

      Arriving on set last July, Chow already had a boyfriend, she admits.
      He was hanging out in Hawaii waiting for her. Fresh from graduating
      in psychology from Scripps College and invited to audition in Toronto
      for The Big Hit -- although she had never acted before -- Chow showed
      up on a day trip. Director Che-Kirk Wong gave her the part on the
      spot and asked her to stay for three-and-a-half months. Chow was
      shocked.

      "I just went in on it really to see what it would be like to audition
      and not to get the part. There was no way I really thought that was
      even a possibility. It just kind of happened. And lucky me!"

      Chow quickly lost her boyfriend, who was asked not to show
      up. "Because I didn't want him to," Chow says. "I didn't want to be
      distracted. I kind of wanted to be in Toronto and didn't want anyone
      around I could cling to." She may have clung to Wahlberg, who, by
      coincidence, is back in Toronto now shooting another film, The
      Corruptor with Chow Yun-Fat.

      Wahlberg teases on the issue. "We're friends," he says with a
      smile. "We're friends," he repeats. "I like her very much. I don't
      know how much she likes me. I ask her out but she doesn't want to go
      out with me. I'm not good at rejection!"

      Chow is high strung but under control. She knows it's dangerous to
      provide too much too quickly for a voracious media. She has been
      involved in the fame game in terms of family connections. Her mother,
      fashion trendsetter Tina Chow, was one of the first prominent women
      to die of AIDS. Her aunt Adele is married to musician David Byrne of
      Talking Heads.

      "It makes me very wary of doing interviews," Chow says of her family
      experience. "I'll talk about the movie until I'm blue in the face but
      my private life I'm so protective of!"

      The Big Hit has given Chow -- who has dabbled in modelling but is not
      serious about it -- an interest in acting, so she is taking voice
      lessons in Los Angeles. She is training in a gym with a pro. She is
      going to a therapist "to help me deal with all of this."

      The kicker, one that shows that Chow is maintaining her sense of
      humor, is that all this self-help stuff is related to The Big Hit and
      has her a bit discombobulated.

      "This all started -- the voice coach, the trainer, the therapist --
      since the movie," she says, with a rueful tone. Success ain't easy.
      Even when you're in a big hit.

      http://www.videoeta.com/person/649
      Did You Know?

      China's parents are restauranteur Michael Chow of Mr. Chow
      restaurants and the late Tina Chow, a fashion icon from the eighties
      who died from AIDS in 1992.

      China graduated from Scripps College with a B.A. in Psychology.
      China was a model for Shiseido Cosmetics.

      Her father is Chinese and her mother is Japanese-German.
      China has two younger sibling, brother Maximillian and half-sister
      Asia.

      Her aunt is married to The Talking Heads band member David Byrne.

      http://www.crazyleg.com/china_chow/bio.htm
      Year of Birth: 1974 Tiger
      China is the daughter of supermodel Tina Chow and Restaurateur
      Michael Chow.
      Her mother died of AIDS (1991)
      Never tried any drugs... too busy taking care of her mom.
      Was a model for Shiseido cosmetics in Japan.
      She's Chinese with a dash of English on her dad's side, and Japanese
      and German on her mom.
      Her first feature film is "The Big Hit".
      First college grad in her family.
      Has a younger brother.
      Her aunt was also a model.
      QUOTE: "I have a brain in my head and I'm not going to let myself be
      judged by the way I look. I think it's actually very insulting."
      New Movies: Head Over Heels (2001), Young Americans (2000)
      Favorite Boyfriend: Lonnie Lee from High School

      http://www.geocities.com/hello_tai_tai/chinachow.html
      NEWS STORY
      China Chow

      China Chow steps out of the shadow of her famous parents to star with
      Freddie Prinze Jr. and Monica Potter in Universal Pictures' wacky
      romantic comedy Head Over Heels, which opened February 2nd. In her
      sophomore outing, the daughter of the late model/designer Tina Chow
      and restaurateur Michael Chow, whose Mr. Chow restaurants are the
      toast of the town in London, Manhattan and Beverly Hills, plays the
      role of Lisa, best friend and professional colleague to Amanda,
      played by Potter.

      In the spirit of the great screwball comedies comes Head Over Heels,
      a contemporary story about the camaraderie that develops between
      Amanda, her good friend Lisa and four models (Ivana Milicevic and
      real models Shalom Harlow, Sarah O'Hare and Tomiko Fraser). The story
      begins with Amanda and Lisa, who have great careers restoring
      paintings for New York's prestigious Metropolitan Museum of Art.
      While the two of them are experts at telling an original from a
      forgery, they can't say the same for picking a mate. Amanda had moved
      in with her latest flame, then catches him cheating with a fashion
      model. With no boyfriend and no roof over her head, Lisa invites her
      to crash at her place. The only problem is Lisa leads an alternative
      gay lifestyle. When Lisa suddenly gets back together with her former
      girlfriend, the arrangement gets a little too cozy for Amanda.
      Desperation leads her to answer an ad for a posh, upper-East Side
      apartment, and move in a flat with four gorgeous, but struggling
      models. They live across the way from the suave, debonair Jim
      (Prinze).

      Although she had resolved to never fall for another man as long as
      she lives, Amanda is, literally, swept off her feet by the handsome
      and urbane Jim. Before she can pick herself up and dust herself off,
      she has agreed to go on a date with him. Against her better judgment,
      she falls in love with him. In the weeks that ensue, she grows
      confident Jim won't cheat on her, however there is one problem: She
      believes he may be a lady killer! With the help of the models and
      Lisa, she sets out on a wild and crazy search for the truth. Along
      the way, Amanda hilariously learns a thing or two about friendship
      and the whole improbable concept of falling head over heels in love.

      Chow, born in London, currently divides her time between New York
      City and Los Angeles. The first in her family to graduate from
      college, China has a degree in psychology from Scripps College.
      Following in her mother's footsteps, she spent several years as a
      model. She posed for Shiseido cosmetics in Japan, was seen on
      billboards for Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein, was names one of
      Harper's Bazzaar's "It Girls" in 1996, and was named in the December
      1996 edition of Vogue magazine's "The Next Best -Dressed List". Her
      acting debut was in 1998's The Big Hit, co-starring Mark Wahlberg

      http://waiyin30.tripod.com/chinachow.htm
      Date of Birth:
      April 1974
      Place of Birth:
      London, England, UK

      Height: 5' 2"

      Biography:
      Born in London, China currently divides her time between New York
      City and Los Angeles. She is the child of late model/designer Tina
      Chow who died to AIDS in 1992 and restauranteur Michael Chow whose
      Mr. Chow restaurants are the talk of the town in London, Manhattan,
      and Beverly Hills. She also has a younger brother. The first
      college graduate in her family, China graduated from Scripps College,
      majoring in psychology. She spent several years as a model,
      following in her mother's footsteps. She posed for Shiseido
      cosmetics in Japan and was seen on billboards for Tommy Hilfiger and
      Calvin Klein. She was named one of Harper's Bazaar's "It Girls" in
      1996, and was named in the December 1996 edition of Vogue
      magazine's "The Next Best-Dressed List." Her acting debut was in
      1998's "The Big Hit" directed by Kirk Wong and starring Mark
      Wahlberg. After the original pilot for the tv show "Young Americans"
      was filmed, the producers cast China as an additional character named
      Paige. However, she backed out at the last minute and the character
      was dropped. Her father is Chinese with some English blood, and her
      mother was Japanese-German.

      Filmography:
      10029 (2002)

      "That '70s Show" (2001) TV Series ..as "China" in episode: "Hyde Gets
      The Girl" (episode # 4.4)

      Sol Goode (2001) ..as Amber

      Head Over Heels (2001) ..as Lisa

      The Big Hit (1998) ..as Keiko Nishi ... aka Warheads (1998) (Asia:
      English title)

      http://www.eurasiannation.com/generic135.html
      China Chow

      Background:
      Chinese, English, Japanese, German

      Occupation:
      Actor

      Country:
      United States

      Biography:
      China Chow was born on April 1, 1974 in London. She is the daughter
      of late model/fashion designer Tina Chow (who died of AIDS in 1992)
      and restauranteur Michael Chow. Her mother was German and Japanese,
      her father is Chinese with some English blood. She also has a younger
      brother and a younger half-sister.

      China graduated from Scripps College as the first college graduate in
      her family, majoring in psychology. She spent several years as a
      model, following in her mother's footsteps. She posed for Shiseido
      cosmetics in Japan, was seen on billboards for Tommy Hilfiger and
      Calvin Klein, was named one of Harper's Bazaar's "It Girls" in 1996,
      and was named in the December 1996 edition of Vogue magazine's "The
      Next Best-Dressed List."

      Her acting debut was in 1998's The Big Hit. She had no prior acting
      experience. China Chow currently divides her time between New York
      City and Los Angeles.

      Selected Filmography:
      Spun (2002)
      Sol Goode (2001)
      Head Over Heels (2001)
      Big Hit, The (1998)

      http://www.huaren.org/diaspora/n_america/usa/people/071899-01.html
      MICHAEL CHOW INTERVIEW

      Dining Out
      July 18, 1999

      Michael Chow: What He Really Wants to Do Is Direct
      But for Now, Restaurateur Michael Chow Will Have to Be Content With
      Opening Yet Another Stylish Palace of Food, Eurochow in Westwood.
      By CARLA HALL

      Michael Chow is explaining where in his new Westwood restaurant he
      will seat the famous, the unknown, the beautiful, the ugly, the tall,
      the short, the fat, the thin.

      He sits in a booth with a sculpted leather back, both hands caressing
      the polished acrylic table that he painstakingly selected to furnish
      this ambitious new gastronomic production. Chow has micromanaged
      every detail of Eurochow, from the cut of the veal to the hardware
      that secures the tasseled ropes of the curtains. Now he turns his
      attention to the patrons.

      "Like the opening shot of a movie, where there's only one right place
      to put the camera," he says, "there's only one right seat for each
      person." Perhaps it should come as no surprise to learn that Chow,
      who for 25 years has presided over the celebrity-favored Mr Chow in
      Beverly Hills, is himself a frustrated director. So in his latest
      venture, did you really think he would give up the job of casting?

      He scans the mezzanine, a wraparound second-story loft overlooking
      tables cloaked in white cloths. Three tables flank the front railing,
      the most visible seats in the restaurant.

      'I think you put a lot of women there because when you come in, you
      see them first," Chow says with a chuckle.

      What about a couple?

      "Not so simple. First you have to decide whether they belong to
      upstairs or downstairs."

      Chow, who has long admitted to seating people according to a star
      system at his Beverly Hills restaurant, insists that some of his
      judgments are practical. He can't put a very tall man in a booth. He
      can't have a celebrity like Madonna on display in the single table
      that sits in a theaterlike balcony box. (She'd probably get the tall
      guy's booth.)

      "If I put someone very shy on the balcony, they will be
      uncomfortable," he says.

      But how do you know someone is shy?

      "Instinctively."

      What if you want to put me downstairs and I want to sit upstairs?

      "How can you know more than I do when I designed the restaurant?"

      Chow suggests that however he seats me, it's for my own good. But I
      know too much already; I know if I arrive with a group of girlfriends
      and we're not seated at a table upstairs by the railing, it's because
      we weren't deemed attractive enough.

      He listens soberly. "OK," Chow says, "I'll make a note--when you come
      in, no way will you be seated there. Hahahahahaha!"

      Can you imagine what he'd be like as a film director? Autocratic,
      audacious and, just when you think you have him pegged, unexpectedly
      wry. All the traits that have distinguished him in the arena of
      tables and silverware and uplighting (a favorite ploy) would serve
      him sell in Hollywood, the world he has yet to conquer. For now, he
      must content himself with his most unusual restaurant, the $4-million
      Eurochow (he prefers to capitalize every letter, but we don't),
      starring a resuscitated L.A. landmark and--as always--Michael Chow.

      "If I may be so bold, a lot of people were influenced by me in this
      city and in other parts of the world," says the 60-year-old
      restaurateur.

      Whether you are a fan or a critic of Michael Chow and his food, he
      has earned a spot on the L.A. cultural landscape with his semi-
      legendary Beverly Hills restaurant, Mr Chow. No period,
      no "restaurant" and, God forbid, no apostrophe S. ("Minimalism at its
      best," he says.) The gathering spot on North Camden Drive has
      survived a quarter century--that's about three lifetimes in
      restaurant years--in mercurial Los Angeles, serving up Chinese food
      with a dollop of casual glamour. At the 1974 opening, Clint Eastwood
      and Eartha Kitt rubbed shoulders with Robert Wise and Olivia de
      Havilland. Not only was Chow's new restaurant the "antithesis of
      Chinoiserie," as he puts it--no red lanterns, no dragons--Mr Chow
      offered a sexy, glittery experience in a town where "elegant dining"
      meant eating in a stodgy hotel (or Chasen's) and "casual" meant Du-
      par's.

      Over the years, Mr Chow has been avant garde and passe, in and out,
      hot and not so hot. Never a favorite with critics--initial reviewers
      seemed reserved and suspicious of all the gloss--the restaurant has
      been generally ignored by foodies. But in the 1970s, when even well-
      heeled restaurant-goers thought of Chinese food as the cheap takeout
      fare on the corner, the expensive Mr Chow was a revelation with its
      beautifully presented green prawns and Peking duck and hand-pulled
      noodles. The regulars--entertainment industry folk, Westside
      professionals, the artists that Chow has befriended and has fed
      gratis in exchange for their art--never stopped going there. Or if
      they did, they eventually came back.

      On a recent Sunday night, Kirk Douglas held court at the best table
      in the house; rising star Tobey Maguire and Quincy Jones' daughter
      Rashida supped later in the evening at a nearby table. At the
      opposite corner from the Douglas table, record industry giants Ahmet
      Ertegun and Phil Spector sat with a large group.

      The room still has a black-and-white checkerboard floor with huge
      black-and-white orb-like mobiles suspended from the ceiling. There's
      little about it that shouts "Los Angeles"--the art on the walls is
      serious, the light is buttery, the seating is compact.

      Eurochow, which opened June 17, is a departure from all that. The
      food is mostly Italian, with Chinese appearing as "a guest star,"
      says Chow. The prices are more modest. The room seats 150. (Mr Chow
      seats barely 100.) And the patio accommodates 50.

      But the most dramatic difference is the architecture.

      The restaurant is in a 1929 historic building, once the site of
      Westwood's domed Bank of America branch, later a succession of dreary
      clothing stores. Now it is a palace, with glossy white lacquered
      walls, standing at the quirky intersection of three streets--Westwood
      Boulevard, Kinross Avenue and Broxton Avenue--like a rebuilt fortress
      beckoning people to return and resurrect the abandoned village of
      Westwood.

      Chow was drawn to the space, knowing how rare it is to find an
      architectural gem available for restaurant use. He designed every
      element, taking advantage of the spectacular curves of the space, and
      dubbing the venture Eurochow for the international chic of the
      prefix, even stating on the menu that euros are accepted. (It's a
      gimmick. Chow isn't sure what the staff would do with the new
      European currency.) "I'm that kind of restaurateur. I look after
      every screw. A little bit of tunnel vision. Control freak," he says
      as if parroting phrases from his press clippings. "Guilty of all
      those things."

      And more. Chow is funny, playful, stylish, obsessive. An artist and
      an architect with only a modicum of education, he designed his
      restaurants, a London hair salon and two Armani boutiques--one on
      Rodeo Drive, the other in the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. One thing
      he is not is obsequious, even though he's running restaurants. The Mr
      Chow troika--Beverly Hills, New York, London--is flourishing. The
      service is professional, the attention to detail is meticulous (forks
      must be set tines-down on the tables), his sense of how to handle
      celebrities and regulars is pitch-perfect. But Chow is not a glad-
      hander; he does not court his guests by bobbing from table to table.
      If he's even in his Beverly Hills restaurant (he lives in Holmby
      Hills), he's probably sitting at a table with his wife, Eva Chun, the
      former fashion designer, eating dinner.

      Better to let the 1984 Andy Warhol portrait of him--an inky black-and-
      white study of a coolly posed Chow--preside over the dining room.

      When he became a restaurateur in London 31 years ago, Michael Chow
      wanted to show Westerners two things: that Chinese cuisine was one of
      the remaining great cultural contributions of his native land and
      that it could be the centerpiece of an elegant restaurant.

      In the process, the restaurant business provided him with the dignity
      denied him as a young Chinese immigrant in 1950s and '60s London and
      the renown, not to mention wealth, that eluded him as a struggling
      young artist.

      "I want to be creative and I want to have fame," he says. "That
      eliminates racism. If I am famous, people look at fame first before
      the race." Not for nothing are his restaurants called Mister Chow.
      His sister, the film and stage actress Tsai Chin (from whom Chow is
      now estranged), wrote in her 1988 autobiography, "Daughter of
      Shanghai," that her brother's decision to use the title was
      a "brilliant stroke, for people would now address him unconsciously
      with respect." It worked. Even in Los Angeles, where everyone seems
      to be referenced by first name only, Michael Chow is often referred
      to as "Mr. Chow."

      It remains to be seen whether Eurochow can duplicate the success of
      Mr Chow. He is philosophical about its chances: "Whether it's food or
      movies or designer interiors, the key is always the same," says
      Chow, "which is, without sounding too corny, faith. Believe in God
      and believe in the truth. If you do everything correctly with faith,
      what I call a 'controlled accident' happens. Masterpieces are
      controlled accidents. If masterpieces were not controlled accidents,
      then people would be producing masterpieces all day long. It's a
      reward from God. You've been faithful."

      No, he's not religious. "Not in the sense that you mean," he says. We
      are sipping Eurochow's cappuccino which, two days before the opening,
      is perfect, another example of Chow's quality control. What he most
      worships is his creative vision that has held him in relatively good
      stead as an entrepreneur. He has had failures (he has opened, by his
      count, 11 restaurants across the world) and aborted projects. A plan
      three years ago to open four Chow restaurants on the site of the old
      Chasen's was scrapped.

      And then there's his pursuit of Hollywood's holy grail. His efforts
      to break into film directing have not been successful. Despite his
      sensitivity to Chinese stereotypes, he has portrayed--and continues
      to portray--a slew of them in films such as "You Only Live
      Twice," "Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" and "Lethal
      Weapon 4." He played himself in "Basquiat." "I was terrible," he
      says, grimacing at the memory. "It's very difficult to play
      yourself." His Korean-born wife, who moved here at 17, refused sugar
      cane and ramen noodle commercials when she was modeling. But she says
      Chow takes such typecast parts because they're campy. "If he had to
      make his living from it, he wouldn't do it," says Eva Chun.

      But for the most part, Michael Chow has had success that reflects his
      highly developed sense of style in food, design and art. He has
      become known for his personal style as well--the signature black-
      framed glasses, the black suits with mandarin collars, the customized
      convertible Bentley he drives around town. All three of his wives
      came from the fashion world. Yet he's annoyed when people focus on
      his stylishness--or the stylishness of his restaurants. "Mr Chow
      survived all this time because of the food," he says. "People always
      take that away from me. They say, 'Well, he's hip and has style.' "

      But he is hip. And he does have style. Chow is famous for collecting
      portraits of himself by rising and established artists. At one point,
      he owned an extraordinary collection of Art Deco furniture by Emile-
      Jacques Ruhlmann but sold it when he was divorcing Tina Chow.

      And speaking of style, what about Tina, his second wife? (Some
      Reports count her as the third or fourth wife, but Chow denies any
      more than three marriages.) Tina, a former model and jewelry designer
      who was revered as an icon of international style, died from AIDS
      complications in 1992 at the age of 41.

      She is his least favorite subject.

      In the late '70s and early '80s, Michael and Tina Chow epitomized the
      jet-set lifestyle, commuting between continents to their restaurants,
      being photographed by Helmut Newton in an edgy 1984 tableau that
      featured Tina tied to the bar of Mr Chow in Beverly Hills while
      Michael eyed her.

      The stunning daughter of a Japanese war-bride mother and American
      father, Tina had two children with Michael--China, 25, an actress,
      and Maximillian, 22, a student at Santa Monica College. The Chows
      were married in 1972, separated in the late '80s and divorced in
      1990. Her illness was widely chronicled and reported to have been the
      result of an affair with a Frenchman who died of AIDS two years
      before Tina did.

      Ask Chow how Tina influenced him and he grows uncharacteristically
      reserved. "It's been so long. My memory's not so good," says the man
      who collects movie esoterica in his head.

      He admits that she may have had something to do with creating the
      restaurants' mystique but says, pointedly, "Mr Chow is at the height
      of its success in Los Angeles and New York." And, obviously, he wants
      you to know, she had nothing to do with that.

      Chow prefers to talk about the Chow family as it is configured today:
      wife Eva, 43, daughter Asia, 4, and the two older children. It's as
      if he shed whoever he was with Tina. "At present, I'm in such bliss
      with Eva," he says of the woman he married in Las Vegas in
      1992. "It's like talking about someone else, not me."

      Michael Chow has reinvented himself several times. His father was the
      legendary Beijing Opera star Zhou Xing Fang, who whetted his son's
      appetite for applause and a theatrical life in one form or another.
      His mother gave her six children Western names. In 1952, at 13,
      Michael and older sister Tsai Chin (who adopted for the stage a
      Chinese name her father gave her) were sent to England to be away
      from the political troubles that would engulf their parents.

      Chow endured the bullying of other adolescents at two dismal boarding
      schools before finding his way to London. He spent a year at St.
      Martin's, the art school, and two more years in architecture school
      before assuming the role of starving Bohemian artist. He tried
      acting, taking small stock roles in movies. (He even played a Chinese
      laundry boy in a 1958 British movie, "Violent Playground.")

      He rarely held a traditional job; he was a dishwasher and a waiter in
      restaurants for a matter of months. His first big break was his much-
      acclaimed design of a London hair salon in 1965. After that, he only
      did entrepreneurial projects, indulging his creative talent, his
      sense of glamour and his prescience of the next hot thing. He opened
      the London Mr Chow in 1968, when the British capital was the center
      of chic in music, art and fashion. His yearlong marriage to Vogue
      creative director Grace Coddington, then a fashion editor at British
      Vogue, fell apart.

      Being an interracial couple in the late '60s "didn't help," says
      Chow. "But that's not major. I think maybe she got fed up with the
      restaurant business."

      It was A&M Records co-founder Jerry Moss who brought Chow, and Mr
      Chow, to Los Angeles, investing $500,000. "At the time," says
      Moss, "that was a pretty fair sum of money."

      When they opened the restaurant in 1974, Moss recalls, "people were
      calling me at home for reservations. That went on for six weeks. Then
      for two years, we had no one coming. You could roll a bowling ball in
      there for entertainment." But gradually it picked up. Moss invited
      record company people and entertained colleagues and friends. Other
      patrons brought other friends. "For a while, it was Mr Chow and
      Mortons," says boutique owner Tracey Ross, who started going to
      Chow's restaurant with her parents. "Then more competition came.
      People wanted to eat outside."

      Moss, whose investment was repaid in the early '80s, recalls when
      Chow was not much of a presence in the restaurant or behind the
      scenes, "when he didn't go into the restaurant for five years." Chow,
      it turns out, was trying to direct a movie based on his own script, a
      project that met with little success.

      But the restaurant survived. Now, say Ross and numerous devoted Chow
      diners, the restaurant is hotter than ever. It's as if that late-
      '70s, early-'80s glamour has been rediscovered by a new
      generation. "Look at the clothes, the fashions. Warhols are cool to
      own again," muses Ross.

      The offspring of loyal diners have rediscovered Mr Chow as adults.

      Casey Wasserman shows up with his friends or grandfather, Lew
      Wasserman, former MCA chief. Donald Sutherland, an early patron, is
      now followed by his son, Kiefer. "But I had to wait for the son to
      grow up," chuckles Chow.

      * * *

      Eva Chun likes to say, "Mr. Chow is couture and Eurochow is ready-to-
      wear."

      That's true in terms of the prices. But actually it's Eurochow that
      stands on the showroom floor of Westwood Boulevard like a couture
      gown with opulent handwork.

      There is something surreal about all that glistening white, from the
      marble floors inlaid with lights (both Chow and his wife can wax on
      about the marvels of fiber optics) to the walls ascending to 55-foot
      arched ceilings.

      Most restaurants in the mid-day, robbed of their seductive night
      lighting, are mundane affairs. But Eurochow in the morning is a
      cathedral of sunlight. With workers padding around and Chow's staff
      hunkered down at tables whispering into their cell phones, you feel
      as if you're on a set, watching the filming of a movie about a
      restaurant opening.

      The night of the Eurochow debut, guests include artists such as Ed
      Ruscha, regular clients of Mr Chow, longtime compatriots such as
      Vidal Sassoon, Chow's children and legions of publicists from the
      glittering jewelry, fashion and auction worlds. There's a smattering
      of celebrities--Eric Clapton, Lauren Holly, Michael York.

      Michael and Eva work the room. He wears a black wool suit and a pair
      of velvet shoes (acquired at auction) that once belonged to the Duke
      of Windsor. She wears the white Vivienne Westwood dress, replete with
      crinolines, that she wore when Julian Schnabel painted her.

      I tell Chow that I talked to Jerry Moss that day. "Did he say I owed
      him money?" he chortles. I assure him that he didn't and then ask
      Chow if he has any investors this time around. No, he answers, as he
      looks around the room now buzzing with champagne-drinking patrons.

      "I usually risk all," Chow says calmly. "Either you believe in it or
      you don't."

      * * *

      Carla Hall Is a Times Staff Writer. Her Last Piece for the Magazine
      Was About the Popularity of Straight Hair