[TV] Broken Trail - AMC Show on Chinese American Women in the 19th Century

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2006
      AMC Announces Plans for Largest Marketing Initiative in History of
      the Network to Support Broken Trail

      -

      Contact:
      Stacey Roberts
      (917) 542.6246
      saroberts@...

      -

      Famed Musicians and Composers David Mansfield & Van Dyke Parks To
      Score AMC's First Ever Original Movie, Western-Themed Broken Trail

      Two-Night Movie Event, Directed by Walter Hill, Premieres on AMC
      June 25-26, 2006

      New York, NY, April 10, 2006 - AMC announced today plans for the
      network's largest marketing initiative to date for its first-ever
      original movie event, Broken Trail. Executive produced by and
      starring Academy Award® winner Robert Duvall, the four-hour, two-
      part movie event, will make its world premiere on AMC on June 25 and
      June 26 at 8:00 pm ET/PT.

      "As the first-ever original movie event for AMC, Broken Trail will
      be supported with a multi-tiered comprehensive marketing initiative
      that will be the largest in network history," said Linda Schupack,
      Senior Vice President of Marketing for AMC. "We are excited to
      showcase the cinematic beauty of Broken Trail and expand our brand
      presence through a variety of outlets - print, radio, online, and
      outdoor."

      The multi-tiered marketing campaign for Broken Trail will include
      advertisements in top tier national print, radio and online outlets,
      as well as local television, print and outdoor coverage in key AMC
      markets. The network will also create an extensive online presence
      including a Broken Trail mini-site that will boast insights into the
      inspiration behind the story and highlights on the production from
      screenwriter Alan Geoffrion. Leading up to the premiere of Broken
      Trail two-minute behind-the-scenes vignettes and :60 and :30 second
      trailers will run nationally in select movie theatres. Interstitials
      produced by an onsite documentary film maker with extensive
      interviews of the cast and crew will also air on the network.

      AMC also announced today that renowned musicians and composers David
      Mansfield and Van Dyke Parks have been named as composers for Broken
      Trail. Both Mansfield and Parks have a successful and extensive
      history working in the film and music industry creating original
      music that has captivated audiences. They will collaborate to create
      an original score for Broken Trail that compliments the epic tales
      homage to the popular, timeless genre of the western.

      Broken Trail is an epic story set in the American West at the close
      of the 19th century. Academy Award®-nominated actor Thomas Haden
      Church (Sideways, Spider-Man 3) co-stars with Duvall, and Rob
      Carliner (The Apostle) and Stanley M. Brooks (Living with the Dead)
      join Duvall in executive producing the mini-series. Broken Trail is
      directed by legendary filmmaker and Emmy Award winner Walter Hill
      (48 Hrs., Deadwood) and was written by Alan Geoffrion. Also featured
      in the cast is Greta Scacchi (The Player, Shattered).

      Western-themed programming has proved to be successful for AMC. The
      network's recent exclusive licensing agreement with Paramount
      Pictures provided the network with 32 of John Wayne's greatest
      films, including the world premiere of the fully restored, digitally
      remastered High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky. The premieres
      of these movies, as well as the premiere of the 20th Anniversary of
      Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider, rank as AMC's highest rated telecasts
      ever, furthering the network's ratings success.

      Broken Trail joins a list of strong original network programming on
      AMC, including the successful network series Sunday Morning ShootOut
      and Movies 101. AMC's commitment to the original programming genre
      garnered record ratings growth for 2005 leading to the best year
      ever in the history of the network. 2005 ranked as the network's
      strongest year in Primetime HH ratings, Household, and A18-49 & A25-
      54 deliveries. Additionally, AMC ranked among the top 20 networks in
      primetime performance of key demos.

      Broken Trail is co-executive produced by Robert Duvall, Stanley M.
      Brooks (Living with the Dead) and Rob Carliner (The Apostle). The
      film is produced by Butchers Run Films and Once Upon a Time Films in
      association with Sony Pictures Television. Chad Oakes' and Mike
      Frislev's Nomadic Pictures provided production services in Alberta.
      Alan Geoffrion, Ron Parker, Chad Oakes and Damian Ganczewski are the
      producers. International Creative Management (ICM) brokered the
      deal.

      **Source: Nielsen Media Research, 2005 (12/27/04-12/25/05)
      Primetime: M-Su 8-11p; Since beginning of Nielsen measurement 4/97.
      Comparisons to ad-supported network performance exclude Nick, which
      does not broadcast more than 51% of primetime daypart.

      About Van Dyke Parks:
      Van Dyke Parks has spent the last four decades as a composer and
      recording artist. His film credits include "The Company" for Robert
      Altman, "Shadrach" starring Harvey Keitel and Andie MacDowell and
      produced by Jonathan Demme, "Bastard Out of Carolina" for Anjelica
      Huston, "Wild Bill" for Walter Hill, "Private Parts" and "Casual
      Sex" for Ivan Reitman, "The Two Jakes" and "Goin' South" for Jack
      Nicholson, among others. Parks was also nominated for an Emmy for
      Best Original Score for his work on "Stuart Little." As an arranger
      and songwriter he has collaborated with such diverse artists as
      Fiona Apple, U2, Sheryl Crow, Smashing Pumpkins, Bruce Springsteen,
      Bonnie Raitt, Carly Simon, Ringo Starr, and Crosby, Stills and Nash.

      About David Mansfield:
      David Mansfield is an award-winning film and television composer
      with many major scoring credits. Most recently he established the
      original score for the award-winning film "Transamerica" for Duncan
      Tucker. His first film score was for the notorious epic "Heaven's
      Gate," which led to four film collaborations with director Michael
      Cimino and resulted in a Golden Globe nomination for Mansfield's
      score for the Oliver Stone-penned "Year of the Dragon." Other long-
      standing relationships are with the esteemed Mexican auteur Arturo
      Ripstein, and with Maggie Greenwald ("Ballad of Little
      Jo", "Songcatcher"). His score for Ripstein's "Deep Crimson
      (Profundo Carmesi)" won David the Golden Ocelot at the Venice film
      festival (Best Musical Score); this honor was repeated at the Havana
      Film Festival. Other notable film credits include "The Divine
      Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" for Callie Khouri and "The Apostle"
      for Robert Duvall. Mansfield continues to be a world-class recording
      and performing musician. A founding member of "Bruce Hornsby and the
      Range", David was awarded an RIAA platinum album and a Grammy Award
      for "The Way It Is", as well as RIAA gold albums for Bob
      Dylan's "Desire" and "Hard Rain".

      About AMC:
      AMC, a division of Rainbow Media's Entertainment Services, which
      also includes WE: Women's Entertainment and IFC Companies, is a 24-
      hour, movie-based network, dedicated to the American movie fan. The
      network, which reaches over 87 million homes, offers a comprehensive
      library of popular movies and a critically-acclaimed slate of
      original programming that is a diverse, movie-based mix of original
      series, documentaries and specials. Over the past three years, AMC
      has garnered many of the industry's highest honors, including 14
      Emmy awards. AMC is "TV for movie people."

      =======================

      http://www.gwendolineyeo.com/theactress.html
      This June 2006. Shot in Calgary, Canada, This AMC mini-
      series "Broken Trail" is an old fashioned Western with a twist. Yeo
      plays Sun Fu, a stolen girl from mainland China forced into
      prostitution until she is saved by Prentis Ritter (Robert Duvall) &
      his nephew Tom Harte (Thomas Haden Church). She refuses to succumb
      to the brutality from the years before and even finds love in the
      most difficult of circumstances. Directed by the legendary Walter
      Hill.

      ===================

      Stan Brooks
      PRODUCER OF TELEVISION MOVIES
      http://www.hollywoodlitsales.com/questions/faq_it/about.shtml

      Stanley M. Brooks is the award winning Producer and President of his
      own motion picture production company, Once Upon A Time Films.
      Established in 1989, Once Upon A Time has produced fifty movies,
      including numerous movies-for-television, multiple mini-series, a
      two hour music special and a feature film for Miramax.

      Mr. Brooks' most recent production is the upcoming BROKEN TRAIL,
      starring Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church for AMC. Brooks is
      known for working with big name feature stars in their telefilm
      debuts and was the Executive Producer on the directorial debuts of
      both Arnold Schwarzenegger and John Candy.

      Prior to starting Once Upon A Time, Brooks was the President of The
      Guber-Peters Television Company and was responsible for finding the
      story for RAIN MAN, which went on to win the Academy Award for Best
      Picture.

      His proudest achievement came eleven years ago when he established
      The Hollywood Indies Little League Foundation to bring after-school
      baseball back to inner city parks in South Central Los Angeles.

      This program is now the largest in L.A. County. Brooks has been
      awarded prestigious honors from the California Governor's Committee
      for Employment of the Handicapped, the Prism Award (for accurately
      depicting drug addiction), and the Monte Carlo Film Festival. Brooks
      is a Senior Lecturer at The American Film Institute Center for
      Advanced Film Studies and a former Governor of The Academy of
      Television Arts & Sciences.

      ==================

      DUVALL, HADEN CHURCH AND THE WESTERN TRAIL
      by Shelley Gabert 1/13/2006 at 11:39
      http://www.geocities.com/robertduvall_2/2006/fstew0601.htm

      In the shadow of Brokeback and Deadwood, the basic cable networks
      are doing their best to make the traditional longform western
      popular again.

      "People often say westerns don't sell," suggests actor Robert Duvall
      at this week's Television Critics Association Press Tour. "But every
      time we make one people definitely watch."

      Duvall stars with Thomas Haden Church in the two-part Broken Trail,
      AMC's first original scripted project but the eight time the
      prestigious creative team of director Walter Hill (48 Hours, The
      Warriors, The Long Riders, Last Man Standing, etc.) and
      cinematographer Lloyd Ahern has collaborated. Their past credits
      include Wild Bill, Geronimo, An American Legend (which also starred
      Duvall) and, of course, the Deadwood pilot, for which Hill (pictured
      at bottom) won an Emmy.

      "You know, I always say the English have Shakespeare, the French
      have Moliere, the Russians have Chekhov, and so forth and so on,"
      Duvall ovserves. "And the western is uniquely ours, combined with
      Alberta, Canada. From Alberta to Texas, it is our genre, and it's
      our thing. So I think there's always a sporadic interest in the
      western, whether it comes and goes it will always live, as the tango
      will always live in South America."

      Broken Trail is the story of two cowboys, Print Ritter (Duvall) and
      his nephew Tom Harte (Hayden Church), who herd 500 horses from
      Oregon to Wyoming but along the way meet up with a trafficker of
      five Chinese girls, who will be forced to serve as prostitutes at a
      local mining camp. Ritter and Harte rescue the girls but at great
      risk to completing their journey. The film also stars Greta Scacchi
      (Jefferson in Paris, The Player), Gwendoline Yeo (The Magic of
      Ordinary Days) and newcomers Olivia Cheng, Valerie Tian, Jadyn Wong
      and Caroline Chan.

      "You know, it's like we got to make the best movie we can, and by
      God, you know, we got to pick this big, heavy bastard up every day
      and move it six inches and then come back and do it all over again
      tomorrow," enthuses Haden Church.

      "But, you know what, at the end of the trail, you're like, holy
      sh*t, you know, we accomplished a pretty remarkable task. Believe
      me, working with those horses every day is a blood inspiring feat
      every single day, especially when they would get out of control and
      they'd be charging right at you, and everybody would be yelling at
      me to stop the herd."

      Certainly, Duvall admits to really enjoying working on Westerns and
      riding horses. He also praises the film's wrangler's. "I insisted
      that the Bews be on the movie," he recalls. "Horses are collectively
      a character in this movie so we needed everything to be right.
      They're equal to any cowboy family on either side of the border. And
      right after this movie was finished, they went up to Edmonton and
      won the National Champion Working Ranch Rodeo of all the ranchers in
      Canada."

      Duvall also bought a horse a year before shooting began to literally
      get back in the saddle, riding every day at his farm in Virginia.
      And it's clear Church enjoyed working with the wily old veteran.

      "I actually met him when I was in grad school and I was working at a
      hotel, the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas," Church remembers. "But when I
      was a freshman in college, a movie came out called True Confessions,
      it's one of his more obscure performances. But it was directed by a
      man named Ulu Grosbard, and he co-stars with Robert De Niro, and
      it's a tremendous tale."

      "Bob is absolutely just towering in it. And it really was an
      inspiration. It was such an inspiration of a performance for me that
      it was really right about then -- that and The Great Santini and for
      so many performances of Bob's, going all the way back to
      Mockingbird, that I thought, you know, this is an actor, but this is
      a man who has tremendous dignity and poise in the roles that he
      chooses."

      At the end of shooting, Church gave Duvall a gift, along with a
      special message of thanks. "I wrote in the note that he inspired me
      to choose acting as a profession for the dignity of it and that, by
      virtue of working with him, he was going to inspire me really for
      the rest my life to choose projects that have dignity and have poise
      and are going to be things that I can reflect on for the rest of my
      adult, professional life as choices that were made for the right
      reasons."

      "That's who he is. I remember I saw Matt Damon in an interview with
      Charlie Rose and he said, ¡®The Apostle should be a primer for all
      actors.' And it should be required viewing because of the power and
      the resonance and the complete -- the complete nature of a
      performance by an actor. And I applauded that. I was by myself, you
      know, naked and sweating in my apartment."

      Broken Trail is a trilogy of sorts for Duvall, coming after Open
      Range and Lonesome Dove. That last film, the actor says, is the one
      he's most identified with today and one that stands as a
      contemporary bible of the genre for real-life cowboys.

      "People come up to me on the street and speak about Augustus McCrae
      in Lonesome Dove more than The Godfather or any of the other films I
      was fortunate enough to be in," he marvels. "People always ask,
      ¡®When will you do another Lonesome Dove,' and I say not for another
      hundred years, because it's very unique.

      ====================

      Elice scripts role at AMC
      Hire reflects cabler's commitment to original dramas
      By DENISE MARTIN
      http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117936961?categoryid=30&cs=1

      AMC has hired Jeremy Elice to head up the cablercabler's West Coast
      scripted development.

      Elice, whose title will be director of scripted series and movies,
      will be the cabler's key programming exec in Los Angeles. He'll
      report to scripted VP Christina WayneChristina Wayne, who joined AMC
      two months ago (Daily Variety, Nov. 16).

      Hire reflects AMC's commitment to launching original dramas. First
      out of the gate will be "Broken Trail," the four-hour Western exec
      produced by and starring Robert Duvall. Cabler also is
      airing "Hustle," a heist skeinskein co-produced by the BBC.

      "I was thoroughly impressed with (Elice's) wide breadth of
      experience in both TV and feature development," Wayne said. "His
      background at FX and Mutual Film Co. is the perfect fit for us as we
      try to develop television shows with a cinematic feel."

      Elice said he'll be the cabler's go-to guy on the West Coast and
      hopes to "develop programming that reflects our brand. We're not
      looking for anything procedural. We would like our viewers to watch
      one of our movies and transition right into a series (of equal
      quality)."

      Most recently, Elice was director of creative and strategic
      development for Mutual Film. There he secured funding for and helped
      develop film projects including Samuel L. JacksonSamuel L. Jackson
      starrer "Snakes on a Plane." He also worked in FX's programming and
      public relations department.

      ====================

      Wayne's domain is AMC skeins
      Cabler reels in film scribe-helmer for series, pics
      By DENISE MARTIN
      http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117933049?categoryid=1238&cs=1

      AMC has hired feature writer-director Christina WayneChristina Wayne
      to oversee scripted series and movies for the cablercabler.
      Wayne, who has served as a consultant for the network for the past
      year, will report directly to exec VP and programming, packaging and
      production Rob Sorcher. Her title will be vice president.

      AMC announced it was breaking into the scripted arena last month
      (Daily Variety, Oct. 21), teaming with the BBC to produce the crime
      caper skeinskein "Hustle." Sorcher said a handful of other one-hours
      are already in development and that the cabler is finalizing deals
      with several top-tier scribes to develop projects.

      First order of business for Wayne will be to oversee AMC's first-
      ever original minimini, "Broken Trail" (formerly "Daughters of
      Joy"), exec produced by and starring Robert Duvall, and "Hustle."

      Sorcher said recruiting Wayne was the first step in establishing
      AMC's commitment to original hours.

      With her "background in film, I'm hoping to set the sensibility of
      AMC's series," Sorcher said. "We're going after shows that are
      contemporary with something retro rooted in them. AMC is strong in
      key movie genres, and we think it makes a lot of sense to do series
      that link to our extensive library of features."

      "Hustle," about a group of London-based con artists, is a heist hour
      that "feels like a classic crime caper but has this cool modern
      spin. That's the combination we're looking for," said Sorcher.

      "Broken Trail," meanwhile, will likely pair with AMC's top-
      performing Western films. Mini will premiere over two consecutive
      nights June 24-25.

      AMC averaged 566,000 primetime overall viewers in October -- up 13%
      from the previous year.

      Wayne wrote and directed the Lions GateLions Gate pic "Tart" and
      more recently helped pen the sequel to "Dirty Dancing." Her TV
      experience includes producing content for E!, USA and Fox.

      ===================

      OLIVIA CHENG
      http://www.oliviacheng.com/biography.html

      Born and raised in Edmonton, Alberta, my parents and grandparents
      sacrificed a lot to build a life in Canada. In spite of their best
      efforts and the heaps of money spent enrolling me in Kumon, I didn't
      become that doctor/ engineer/ accountant they were hoping for.
      Instead, poor Mr. and Mrs. Cheng ended up with a wannabe Sandra Oh /
      Oprah to tell their friends about (my mom always lost the my-
      daughter-is-smarter-than-your-daughter smack talk when I was growing
      up).

      That's as much of a bio as I'm going to write. I find it stupidly
      difficult to write one's own bio without sounding like a complete
      tool. That's why rich people hire publicists after all.

      So instead, I'll use this space to say this:

      Please show some support and tune in to my television mini-series
      Broken Trail debuting on AMC June 24th and 25th, 2006
      (www.brokentrail.amctv.com)

      Set in 1897, Broken Trail stars the Academy Award winning Robert
      Duvall (The Apostle, Thank You for Smoking) and Academy Award
      nominee Thomas Haden Church (Spiderman 3, Sideways). They play two
      cowboys who stumble across 5 Chinese girls who've been brought to
      America to be forced into prostitution.

      I know I know, you're probably thinking, "Great, another movie that
      portrays Asian Americans in a stereotypical light. Can Hollywood
      please write a role for an Asian female that doesn't involve
      prostitution, laundry or bad driving?"

      That's exactly how I felt until I read the script, became intrigued
      by the plight of the girls, and researched the historical context of
      the story. Sadly, countless numbers of Chinese girls, some as young
      as 12 endured the horrible fate depicted in Broken Trail. Because of
      poverty, ignorance, and the social climate of China at the time,
      thousands of girls were sold to sex slave dealers, and brought to
      America where "Celestials" were valued for their exotic appeal. A
      majority of these women took their own lives. The rest lived brief,
      violent existenses before succumbing to homicide or disease. In
      regards to the latter, when girls were "used up", their captors
      often locked them away in death houses to starve: out of sight, out
      of mind.

      It's a shameful, and sad chapter of Asian American history. One
      that's not highlighted enough in our history books. That's why I'm
      proud to be a part of Broken Trail, and why I hope you'll tune in.
      It's an important story to tell; and, unfortunately, the slavery
      issue highlighted in Broken Trail is still relevant today as
      hundreds of thousands of women and children are held captive around
      the world.

      ====================

      DUVALL, HADEN CHURCH AND THE WESTERN TRAIL
      Shelley Gabert
      http://www.asianamericanfilm.com/boards/dcforum/DCForumID15/150.html

      God, you know, we got to pick this big, heavy @#%$ up every day and
[...]

      =================

      http://www.ncta.com/ContentView.aspx?
      hidenavlink=true&type=CableProgram&contentId=1932
      Legendary Academy Award winner Robert Duvall ("The
      Godfather," "Apocalypse Now," "Open Range"), Academy Award nominated
      actor Thomas Haden Church ("Sideways") and acclaimed director Walter
      Hill ("Aliens," "48 Hrs.," "Deadwood") present AMC's first original
      movie, "Broken Trail," a two-part drama set in the American West of
      the 1880s, told through the eyes of five Chinese girls sold into
      prostitution in outlaw mining camps.

      The four-hour drama is a haunting and poetic tale that follows a
      veteran cowboy (Robert Duvall) and his nephew (Thomas Haden Church)
      as they drive a herd of horses from Oregon to Wyoming, their trail
      crossing with the enslaved girls. A fateful act of decency plunges
      their lives in peril and forever changes their destinies. "Broken
      Trail" follows the complicated paths of each travelers' life,
      witnessed through the eyes of innocents lost in America.

      =====================

      http://brokentrail.amctv.com/
      In the waning days of the Old West, veteran rancher Print Ritter
      (Robert Duvall) and his nephew Tom Harte (Thomas Haden Church) set
      out on an arduous horse drive from Oregon to Wyoming. On the trail,
      they risk their lives to save five innocent Chinese girls who have
      been sold into prostitution. With this decision, the horse drive
      turns into an epic and perilous journey that leaves both the men and
      women changed forever.

      ===================

      http://www.rainbow-media.com/natbus/amc.html
      AMC is a 24-hour, movie-based network dedicated to the American
      movie fan. AMC offers a comprehensive library of popular movies and
      a critically-acclaimed slate of original programming that is a
      diverse, movie-based mix of original series, documentaries and
      specials.

      A commitment to celebrate movie culture while connecting TV viewers
      with informed and entertaining programming has raised the network to
      new heights in ratings and delivery. Its investment in stronger film
      titles, programming stunts and specials and original programming had
      a tremendous impact in 2004 and 2005, providing AMC with its best
      ratings year EVER in 2005.

      AMC recently completed production of its first original movie event,
      Broken Trail, executive produced and starring Academy Award® winner
      Robert Duvall, co-starring Academy Award® nominee Thomas Haden
      Church and directed by Emmy award winning director Walter Hill.

      It premieres on June 25 and 26, 2006. AMC recently premiered its
      first original scripted series, the hit show "Hustle," a co-
      production arrangement with the BBC starring Robert Vaughn and
      Adrian Lester. Set in London, the fast-paced, smart and sexy 18 part
      series follows the exploits of a polished crew of grifters who prey
      on greedy, morally corrupt "marks."

      The network's original programming slate also includes: "Movies
      101," based on a popular course taught by NYU Professor Richard
      Brown, the series features interviews with guests from Hollywood's
      most acclaimed talent roster (season two premieres August 2006);
      and "Sunday Morning Shootout," hosted by Hollywood heavyweights
      Peter Bart and Peter Guber, "Shootout" welcomes the film community's
      top actors, directors, producers and studio execs for energetic,
      intelligent, and uncensored conversation on the hot topics that fuel
      the film business. Among the guests welcomed by Guber and Bart:
      Charlize Theron, Anthony Hopkins, Samuel L. Jackson; Ron Howard,
      Garry Marshall, Brian Grazer, Joe Roth and Harvey Weinstein.

      The network's annual on-air special events include MonsterFest
      and "An American Cinematheque Tribute." This year will mark the
      tenth edition of MonsterFest, AMC's annual on-air Halloween
      festival. AMC is also the exclusive broadcast partner of American
      Cinematheque for their annual celebrity tribute through 2006. The
      popular AMC special "Celebrity Charades," executive produced by
      multiple-award winners Bob Balaban, Chad Lowe and Hilary Swank, will
      return this year. "Celebrity Charades" features a variety of guest
      celebrities "acting out" to raise money for charity and will air as
      a special programming event featuring four new half-hour specials
      back-to-back on Friday, August 18.

      AMC's movie library includes exclusive television exhibition rights
      to 22 films from Warner Bros. Domestic Cable Distribution, including
      the network window for such mega-hits as Two Weeks Notice, Million
      Dollar Baby, Ocean's 12, Mystic River and Batman Begins. The network
      also has an exclusive licensing agreement with Paramount Pictures
      providing the network with 32 of John Wayne's greatest films, and
      included the world premiere of the fully restored, digitally
      remastered High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky, further
      cementing the network as the cable home for John Wayne.

      Subscribers: More than 87 million U.S. households
      (Source: Nielsen Media Research)
      Executives: Ed Carroll,
      President, Rainbow Entertainment Services

      Gregg Hill,
      President, Rainbow Network Sales

      Launch Date: 1984

      =========================

      AMC Hires Christina Wayne as Vice President, Scripted Series and
      Movies
      Released by AMC
      http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20051115amc01

      Wayne Overseeing Production and Development of AMC's First-Ever
      Original Movie Event, Western-Themed Broken Trail, With Oscar®
      Winner Robert Duvall, Oscar® Nominee Thomas Haden Church and Emmy-
      Winning Filmmaker Walter Hill

      Four-Hour Mini-Series Event Premieres on AMC June 2006

      New York, New York - November 15, 2005 - AMC announced today that
      Christina Wayne has joined the network as Vice President of Scripted
      Series and Movies. Serving as a programming consultant for AMC over
      the past six months, Wayne has helped ramp up the network's scripted
      series department. In her new position, she will lead the production
      and development of AMC's first-ever mini-series, newly titled Broken
      Trail. Wayne will report to Rob Sorcher, Executive Vice President of
      Programming, Packaging and Production for AMC, and will be based in
      New York.

      Wayne is an experienced screenwriter and director. Among her career
      accomplishments, Wayne wrote and directed Tart, a film acquired and
      distributed by Lionsgate, and was responsible for penning the sequel
      to Dirty Dancing for Artisan Entertainment. Wayne has written and
      directed numerous music videos for Propaganda Films and the A&R
      group, directed a rock documentary film, and produced for E!
      Entertainment television. She has also written television movies for
      USA Network and Fox Television, and screenplays for Castlerock "Get
      This", Paramount Pictures "Go Lightly" and Bel Air
      entertainment "Rock and Roll". Earlier in her career, Wayne worked
      as a journalist for such publications as Rolling Stone Magazine,
      Spin, Vibe, The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times Magazine.

      "Christina Wayne's background in features and her focus on the
      script makes her the ideal choice for AMC original series and
      movies," said Rob Sorcher. "Broken Trail is the crown jewel of our
      scripted projects for AMC in 2006, and sets a bar for future
      projects. The network's established leadership in the western genre
      makes us the ideal launchpad for this event."

      In conjunction with today's announcement, AMC unveiled more details
      on its first-ever original mini-series, executive produced by and
      starring Academy Award® winner Robert Duvall. The four-hour, two-
      part mini-series, Broken Trail (formerly dubbed Daughters of Joy)
      will make its world premiere on AMC on June 24-25, 2006.

      Broken Trail is an epic story set in the American West at the close
      of the 19th century. Academy Award®-nominated actor Thomas Haden
      Church (Sideways, Spider-Man 3) co-stars with Duvall, and Rob
      Carliner (The Apostle) and Stanley M. Brooks (Living with the Dead)
      join Duvall in executive producing the mini-series. Broken Trail is
      directed by legendary filmmaker and Emmy Award winner Walter Hill
      (48 Hrs., Deadwood) and was written by Alan Geoffrion. Also featured
      in the cast is Greta Scacchi (The Player, Shattered).

      In the waning days of the Old West, veteran rancher Print Ritter
      (Robert Duvall) and his nephew Tom Harte (Thomas Hayden Church) set
      out an arduous horse drive from Oregon to Wyoming. On the trail,
      they risk their lives to rescue five innocent Chinese girls who have
      been sold into prostitution. This decision transforms their trip
      from a demanding physical challenge into an unconventional emotional
      journey that will change all of their lives forever.

      Broken Trail began production in mid August on location in Calgary.
      International Creative Management (ICM) brokered the deal and the
      film will be distributed by Sony Pictures Television. Broken Trail
      is a co-production between Duvall and Carliner's Butcher's Run Films
      and Brooks' Once Upon A Time Films. Producer Chad Oakes' Nomadic
      Pictures provided production services in Alberta.

      Western-themed programming has proved to be successful for AMC. The
      network's recent exclusive licensing agreement with Paramount
      Pictures provided the network with 32 of John Wayne's greatest
      films, including the world premiere of the fully restored, digitally
      remastered High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky. The premieres
      of these movies, as well as the premiere of the 20th Anniversary of
      Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider, rank as AMC's highest rated telecasts
      ever, furthering the network's ratings success.

      AMC's commitment to celebrate movie culture while connecting TV
      viewers with informed and entertaining programming has raised the
      network to new heights in ratings and delivery. Its new investment
      in stronger film titles, programming stunts and specials and
      original programming has had a tremendous impact in 2004 and 2005,
      providing AMC with its best season ever in the history of the
      network. The 04/05 season ranked as the network's strongest ever in
      Primetime HH ratings, Household, and A18-49 & A25-54 deliveries.

      **Source: Nielsen Media Research, 04/05 season (9/27/04-9/25/05).
      Primetime: M-Su 8-11p; Since beginning of Nielsen measurement 4/97.
      Comparisons to ad-supported network performance exclude Nick, which
      does not broadcast more than 51% of primetime daypart.

      Sony Pictures Television
      Sony Pictures Television is one of the television industry's leading
      content providers. SPT produces and distributes top-rated, award-
      winning programming in every genre, including series, movies and
      family entertainment for network and cable television; first run
      syndicated series; off-network syndicated programs; and theatrical
      releases. SPT (www.sonypicturestelevision.com ) is a Sony Pictures
      Entertainment company.

      About AMC:
      AMC, a division of Rainbow Media's Entertainment Services, which
      also includes WE: Women's Entertainment and IFC Companies, is a 24-
      hour, movie-based network, dedicated to the American movie fan. The
      network, which reaches over 86,000,000 homes, offers a comprehensive