[SPORTS] Christina Kwan Turns Pro on "Showtime Championship Boxing" Program

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2006
      Top Rank inks Kwan!
      http://www.fightnews.com/1126.htm

      Christina Kwan, who is a cousin of figure skater Michelle Kwan, will
      fight professionally for the first time in an off-TV bout on the
      SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING Corrales vs. Castillo III card on June
      3 at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

      As an amateur Christina was a 2004 U.S. National and World Champion
      at 95 pounds. As a professional, she will box at 100 pounds - the
      junior strawweight divison. She graduated with honors from UNLV with
      a Bachelor of Science of Marketing and is presently a Marketing
      Executive at Wynn Las Vegas.

      "I train at the Top Rank gym," she said. "I begin my training around
      10 in the morning, spar at least 10 rounds, shower and then prepare
      to go to work.

      "My parents were born in Canton, China," said Christina. "They moved
      to Vancouver in Canada and I was born there. We called it
      affectionately as our 'Little Hong Kong.' We then moved to Seattle
      when I was seven years old."

      She discovered boxing while at UNLV.

      "I went into the gym and was interested when I watched and realized
      the heart and determination it takes," she said. "The sport is truly
      a science -- it is beautiful when you watch talented fighters who
      can slip punches, move and counter. Boxing turns into a real-life
      chess match," she said.

      Christina will box four rounds in her pro debut on June 3. Her
      trainer is Vinny Perozzi who is assisted by Eddie Mustafa Muhammad.
      Top Rank plans to formally introduce Christina at a press conference
      next Monday at a popular Las Vegas Chinese restaurant. "She is
      really something - I want everyone to meet her!" said promoter Bob
      Arum. "This is a dream for Christina, turning professional on such a
      big championship card as Corrales versus Castillo."