[TIMELINE] Rebuilding Chinatown After the 1906 Earthquake

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2006
      Rebuilding Chinatown After the 1906 Quake
      Richard Gonzales
      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5337215

      San Francisco's Chinatown has long been the bedrock of Chinese
      America. Its colorful shops and exotic restaurants attract hundreds
      of thousands of global tourists each year. Now, as San Francisco
      prepares to mark the centennial of the 1906 earthquake and fire,
      historians recall how Chinatown, destroyed along with much of the
      city, almost wasn't rebuilt.

      City leaders at the time of the quake set the total death count at
      more than 400. Researchers now think that 3,000 or more people died
      and that the fatalities were intentionally minimized so investors,
      needed to rebuild the city, wouldn't be scared away.

      But no one knows how many people died in the densely packed blocks
      of Chinatown, with an estimated population of 14,000.

      Racism against the Chinese was rampant in that age. Chinese
      immigrants had come to work in the railroads and mines and were
      widely viewed as a competitive threat to the working class, says
      California historian Kevin Starr.

      "The most horrible moment of all was in the early 1870s in L.A.,
      where some 14 Chinese were lynched by a mob," Starr
      says. "Fortunately, that never happened in San Francisco because
      even though there were anti-Chinese riots... the Chinese served
      notice they would meet anybody who came into their part of the city
      with rifles."

      What the Chinese of San Francisco were prepared to defend was
      largely a bachelor society. Restrictive immigration laws prevented
      Chinese men from bringing their families to America. Before the
      quake, Chinatown had a reputation as a crowded slum rife with
      disease, brothels and opium. But Starr says Chinatown also had
      something that city leaders envied: it occupied one of the most
      desirable locations in the city.

      "By 1906 on the verge of the earthquake, it suddenly dawned on the
      establishment of San Francisco that the prime real estate of the
      city... at the absolute epicenter, with its commanding views, was
      Chinatown," he says.

      In fact, even before the '06 quake, the local newspapers
      editorialized in favor of moving the Chinese. After the quake, city
      leaders presented their plans to relocate Chinatown to the mud flats
      on the southern outskirts of the city. The plans were presented at a
      meeting between the city relocation committee, the Chinese Family
      Associations and the Chinese Consulate.

      But the Chinese had different plans, says historian Judy Yung.

      "The consul general said, 'The Empress is not happy about Chinatown
      being relocated. We intend to rebuild the Chinese consulate in the
      heart of Chinatown where it was,'" says Yung.

      The Chinese also had another economic argument in their favor. They
      knew that their taxes contributed greatly to the city's coffers and
      that other Western port cities would welcome them.

      San Francisco leaders relented and the reconstruction of Chinatown
      began about a year after the disaster.

      But the buildings constructed were different from the ones
      destroyed, thanks to a businessman named Look Tin Eli. He convinced
      other merchants to follow his plan and hire American architects to
      redesign his building to look like China, in order to attract
      tourists. In many instances, the architects designed American-style
      buildings, but placed colorful pagodas with curled eaves and dragon
      motifs on top.

      "And so you have this effect of the trademark of Chinatown today
      where it's very much an Oriental Disneyland," Yung says.

      The earthquake of 1906 had a second, more far-reaching impact.
      Virtually all of the birth records in the city were destroyed. That
      allowed Chinese-born men to claim that they were American citizens,
      and therefore had the right to bring their families to America.

      "To a certain extent the loss of the paperwork for immigration in
      San Francisco in April 1906 represented a kind of wholesale amnesty
      for the Chinese," Starr says.

      The children who were brought to America came to be known as "paper
      sons," because many arrived with false or questionable documents.

      When American immigration authorities discovered the ruse, they
      opened a way station on Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay where
      new Chinese immigrants were detained for months while they were
      subjected to tough interrogations to verify their identities.

      But over time, Chinatown filled up again, with families that dwelled
      in overcrowded, single-room, dormitory-style hotels. Many, still in
      use today, are the focus of redevelopment efforts by the Chinatown
      Community Development Center, headed by Gordon Chin.

      "This is the most densely populated neighborhood -- 22 square
      blocks -- in the entire country outside of Manhattan. There's not a
      single family-dwelling here," Chin says.

      Chin wants tourists to see more than the neighborhood's many exotic
      restaurants and trinket and souvenir shops. So he has organized
      the "Adopt an Alleyway" Tours, conducted by young Chinese-Americans,
      to take tourists into Chinatown's alleys where they can see sights
      such as the famous Fortune Cookie Factory, a small shop in Ross
      Alley.

      "People think that alleyways are dark, dank and dirty, but in
      Chinatown, alleyways are really shortcuts and they were my front
      door and playground," says Rosa Wong Chi, a tour guide who grew up
      in one of Chinatown's 41 alleyways.

      The tours serve another purpose: They help bring young Chinese-
      Americans back to Chinatown. The neighborhood is still home to
      thousands of families, even though many may have moved on to other
      districts in or around San Francisco.

      "This is a community where people are still engaged," Chin
      says. "That's why preserving Chinatown -- keeping it a community
      where people will live and not just a tourist attraction -- is very
      important spiritually."

      And that's why the Chinese Historical Society of America in San
      Francisco has a new exhibit called Earthquake, The Chinatown Story,
      to keep the history alive and make it relevant to the community. The
      society has been collecting stories and artifacts from the 1906
      earthquake.

      Milly Lee is a former librarian and grandmother. She recently
      donated some of her family's possessions to the CHSA. The most
      precious: an intricately carved wooden shrine about a foot and a
      half tall. Inside, there is a white porcelain statue of a female
      deity, Kwan Yin, "the one who hears the cries of the world." The
      shrine is one the few possessions that Lee's family saved as it fled
      Chinatown after the earthquake and fire on April 18, 1906.

      "They knew what they must take when they left. This was a high
      priority," Lee says.

      They also rolled up their ancestors' portraits and carried them on
      their cart.

      Lee's mother was only eight years old at the time of the disaster.
      Lee wrote Earthquake, an illustrated children's book about her
      mother's experience:

      "Up the steep hills, across the city, we pushed and pulled the heavy
      cart. All around us frightened people struggled with loads too dear
      to leave behind."

      "My mother never sat down and told us about the earthquake," Lee
      says. "But we were on a camping trip and my daughter came home very
      excited and told PoPo, 'We slept in a tent.' My mother very casually
      said, 'I've slept in a tent before.' And I said where? And she
      said, 'Golden Gate Park. We were there for the earthquake.' Well, I
      had never heard it until then."