[R.I.P.] Pat Morita - (11/25/05) Karate Kid's "Mr. Miyagi"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2006
      Pat Morita, 'Karate Kid's' Mr. Miyagi, dies
      http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/25/obit.morita.ap/

      LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Actor Pat Morita, whose portrayal of
      the wise and dry-witted Mr. Miyagi in "The Karate Kid" earned him an
      Oscar nomination, has died. He was 73.

      Morita died Thursday at his home in Las Vegas of natural causes,
      said his wife of 12 years, Evelyn. She said in a statement that her
      husband, who first rose to fame with a role on "Happy Days,"
      had "dedicated his entire life to acting and comedy."

      In 1984, he appeared in the role that would define his career and
      spawn countless affectionate imitations. As Kesuke Miyagi, the
      mentor to Ralph Macchio's "Daniel-san," he taught karate while
      trying to catch flies with chopsticks and offering such advice
      as "wax on, wax off" to guide Daniel through chores to improve his
      skills.

      Morita said in a 1986 interview with The Associated Press he was
      billed as Noriyuki "Pat" Morita in the film because producer Jerry
      Weintraub wanted him to sound more ethnic. He said he used the
      billing because it was "the only name my parents gave me."

      He lost the 1984 best supporting actor award to Haing S. Ngor, who
      appeared in "The Killing Fields." (Watch a profile of Morita -- 2:10)