[BUSINESS] Sabrina Kay / L.A. Mayor Transition Team

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      Sabrina Kay
      Chairman/CEO
      Fremont Private Investments, Inc.
      The Sabrina Kay Charitable Foundation
      http://www.sabrinakay.com/bio/bio.asp

      -

      Part of Villaraigosa transition team in 2005

      -

      Ms. Sabrina Kay is the Chairman and CEO of Fremont Private
      Investments, Inc (FPI) and the founder of California Design College
      (CDC). FPI is a parent corporation for Fashion Umbrella, LLC, which
      mainly performs private investments and joint venture projects for
      the apparel industry. Its goal is to function as a business partner
      to many creative and upcoming young designers by making equity
      investments and sharing business strategies and best practices.

      For 12 years, from 1991 to 2003, she served as CEO and President of
      California Design College, an accredited degree-granting college in
      Los Angeles. California Design College (CDC), which Ms, Kay founded
      in her bedroom, was the first specialized computer fashion design
      college in California and successfully prepared its graduates to
      various careers in the fashion industry. Her vision in apparel
      technology has influenced the fashion industry in many different
      ways. Due to its tremendous triumph as a reputable computer fashion
      design college as well as a sound business entity, CDC was
      strategically acquired by a public corporation, Education Management
      Corporation (EDMC) and the deal was closed in January 2003.

      After the sale of her company, Ms. Kay continued with various
      community, philanthropic and political projects she was involved
      with. She started The Sabrina Kay Charitable Foundation in 2003 to
      continue her life mission - educating and empowering others to
      achieve their fullest potential. Currently, The Sabrina Kay
      Charitable Foundation has three projects – building a homeless
      shelter and educational programs for women and children in Los
      Angeles skid row through Weingart Center; developing mentorship and
      internship programs for children and young adults who are interested
      in fashion, entertainment and sports industries through LA Sports
      and Entertainment Commission; and conducting "Camp LAPL", summer
      camp programs for inner city and homeless children to learn music,
      art, and how to use the Los Angeles Public Library.

      In addition, she currently serves on several board positions: Los
      Angeles Sports and Entertainment Commission, Weingart Center, Golden
      State ScholarShare Investment Board, Young Presidents' Organization,
      CCA President's Advisory Council, City Club and Korean American
      Coalition. She has also received numerous awards for her services:
      Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst and Young in 1999, the Woman of
      the Year by the State of California Legislature in 1997, and as a
      Rising Asian Woman from the World Affairs Council in 1997.

      Ms. Kay has impacted the community through her media appearance on
      various talk shows and news reports. She led her weekly radio
      fashion commentary talk show for 8 years in Los Angeles and appeared
      in various TV shows such as KTLA, KTE, FOX, and KSCI. Her one-year
      TV show program, Integrating into the culture with Sabrina Kay, at
      KTE television (Channel 18) included segments such as citizens'
      responsibilities after the LA riot, covering the stories on the UCLA
      student rally. The program was noted positively by many media
      critics. Ms. Kay also has had several fashion columns for various
      newspapers and magazines and produced a range of fashion shows
      promoting inner-city children's art and design education,
      intercultural relationship, as well as funding for the entertainment
      industry.

      Ms. Kay has served as a chairwoman for ICEPAC (Independent Council
      of Educators Political Action Committee) in 1997 and 1998, the
      President for CAPPS (California Association for Private
      Postsecondary Schools), and a Board member for Career College
      Association, Fashion Group International, Korean-American Chamber of
      Commerce and Korean American Coalition.

      Currently, she is involved with the following projects:

      Education: Scholarshare Investment Board, Arnold's All Stars After
      School Program, Teach for America, Fulfillment Fund, House of Blues
      Foundation Room,

      Community: Weingart Center, Los Angeles Sports and Entertainment
      Commission

      Performing Arts: Geffen Playhouse, Mark Taper Performance Center,
      Ahmanson Theater, Center Theater Group, Los Angeles Opera, Actors'
      Fund

      Fine Arts: MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Arts), LACMA (Los Angeles
      County Museum of Arts)

      Music: Hollywood Bowl, LA Philharmonic

      Private Clubs: Jonathan Club, Wilshire Country Club, City Club,
      Magic Castle

      Church: Bel Air Presbyterian
      (http://www.sabrinakay.com/events/event_category.asp?ECatID=14)

      =

      Changing the face of Fashion
      The Sabrina Kay Story
      by Jamie Borromeo
      http://www.sabrinakay.com/press/AENov2002.asp

      Progress through technology has been affecting almost every aspect
      of our daily lives over the past decade. The fashion industry was
      left behind for many years by these rapid changes, until
      approximately ten years ago when a young entrepreneur named Sabrina
      Kay decided to pursue her fashion industry dreams by redesigning her
      family's apparel manufacturing company and founding the California
      Design College (CDC) in 1991.

      Ms. Kay took what was considered a radical measure at the time by
      introducing high-tech to the fashion industry, and introducing
      software tools such as CAD/CAM (computer-aided design and
      manufacturing) for courses at the school.

      When Sabrina Kay moved from her native Korea to the United States as
      a child, she could not speak English. Today, she is called upon by
      leading newspapers and magazines for expert opinions on fashion and
      its marketing. The California Design College is a nationally
      accredited, award-winning college that graduates the fashion
      industry's finest professionals each year, and is recognized
      worldwide as the leader in Fashion Technology. Named one of the "Big
      Four" Design Colleges in Southern California by the Apparel News-the
      fashion industry's principle publication-CDC is a pioneer in fashion
      fusing with technology.

      Since Ms. Kay founded the California Design College, fashion
      students now almost solely rely on the computer-in lieu of the
      sewing machine, sketchpad, scissors and tape-as their main fashion
      implement, as it measures, cuts, pastes and even prints patterns on
      simulated "cloth," saving students hours in design time. Although
      all aspects of fashion design are taught through CDC courses, it is
      the advanced computer technology and fashion software that has made
      the school into the world leader in fashion technology it is today.

      In fact, CDC's stellar reputation continues to bring in seasoned
      fashion industry professionals to brush up on the latest technology
      skills.

      Ms. Kay's devotion to education extends well beyond California
      Design College. She has been actively involved with the California
      Association of Private Post secondary Schools where she has served
      as its President, Convention Chairman, and a member of the Executive
      Committee. Her hard work earned her Member of the Year honors in
      1996.

      On the national level, Sabrina Kay has been very active in the
      Career College Association and on its Board of Directors.
      Ms. Kay continues to served on numerous review teams that examine
      educational institutions on behalf of the State of California by
      serving as a commissioner /board member for the California's Golden
      State Scholarshare Investment Board, which oversees the investment
      of billions of dollars earmarked for the payment of tuition for
      California's children.

      True to her Korean heritage, she is also a board member of the
      Korean American Coalition, Korean American Chamber of Commerce, and
      the Advisory Council on Democratic and Peaceful Unification of Korea.

      To date, CDC has produced thousands of graduates who have been
      placed as professionals in the exclusive fashion industry. Kay
      prides herself on CDC's job placement rate, which are over 90
      percent, compared with the industry average. Kay's favorite
      statistic is the student loan default rate, which stands at 0
      percent, which reflects the college's success in preparing students
      in practical and necessary ways for a meaningful career.

      AE: Please give us a description of your business' background and
      the amount of time you've been in business.

      SK :I grew up in the fashion industry and started working with my
      parents. My parents owned La Paloma Fashions and put me to work. I
      worked in all types of positions within the company and learned many
      aspects of the fashion industry.
      While studying Industrial Design at California State University at
      Long Beach, I fell in love with the American College system. At SULB
      I worked as a student advisor and decided that I would make
      education my life's work. After college, I combined my knowledge of
      fashion with my love of education and went to work for a fashion
      school. Working with students every day was a great experience, but
      I felt I had more to offer.In 1991, I decided I wanted the challenge
      of operating my own college of fashion design so I founded
      California Design College (CDC).

      AE: How did you become an entrepreneur? Did you start in the
      corporate or public sector? How did you know this path was right for
      you?

      SK : I think I was born an entrepreneur. From my first job to my
      position today as President and Chief Executive Officer of CDC, I
      have always been creative, pushing the envelope and thinking outside
      of the box. Even when I was in the public sector at Cal State Long
      Beach, I still followed my own instincts to advise the students and
      connected them in a different way than other staff members did.

      I knew that the entrepreneurial path was right for me because of my
      firm belief that a person should be rewarded for the decisions and
      risks he or she makes and takes. As the owner of CDC, I make tough
      decisions and have to live with the consequences. Fortunately, most
      of my decisions have been good ones, and CDC has grown to be-come
      one of the premier co-lleges of computer-aided fashion design in the
      world.

      I am not a gambler, but I do believe that rewards should go to those
      who bet on themselves. When I founded CDC, I risked everything I
      had. Fortunately, I have been rewarded with financial success and
      also the emotional satisfaction one receives from helping thousands
      of students achieve their dream of being a leader in the fashion
      industry.

      AE: Were there any significant barriers that caused resistance in
      your goal? How did you surpass them?

      SK : Anyone who aims high must overcome significant barriers. When I
      came to the United States from Korea, I did not speak a word of
      English. I had to work hard, but I became fluent in English while
      retaining my native language. The secrets to overcoming barriers are
      a positive attitude, hard work, and focus. My attitude is that
      barriers are merely stepping stones to my success. Every barrier I
      overcome is another step closer to my goal.

      Since my goal was to successfully launch CDC in 1991, I had to
      become familiar with the environment for regulating colleges which
      was extremely harsh and difficult. Congresswoman Maxine Waters'
      Waters Reform Act of 1989 took effect in October of 1991 and as a
      result, many schools closed in California. The Reform Act included
      numerous new student protections and regulatory languages which were
      ominous to school operators. I found it necessary to become well
      versed in the regulations previous to 1989 as well as the Waters
      Reform Act in order for me to receive legal state approval and
      successfully open the college.

      Another barrier to overcome was attracting students to the college
      once it was opened. Since a private college's livelihood depends on
      students, the initial enrollment was a formidable task. Besides
      referrals from students and employers, I became focused on
      establishing the College's reputation and credibility through
      attaining approvals from national and state agencies which would
      lead to accreditation for the college.

      Almost everything that I have achieved has come because of hard
      work. Success is hard. If it was easy, everyone would be successful.
      I can't begin to count the thousands of late nights I have spent at
      the office.

      Those late nights and sometimes all-nighters were stepping stones to
      success.
      Finally, it's important to stay focused on the ultimate goal of
      success. Often, people get so caught up in trying to overcome the
      barrier that they lose sight of their goals. No matter what is put
      in front of a person, he or she must look beyond it and stay focused
      on the goal.

      AE: What's the growth and development pattern of your business?

      SK : CDC had a very humble beginning but we have maintained steady
      and sometimes dynamic growth ever since. Our first class had only
      six students in two small classrooms. Many people said CDC would
      never survive. I knew that we would survive, teaching the future of
      fashion education, not the past that everyone else was teaching. I
      was convinced that a computer-aided education would attract people
      from all over the world. And it has. Anyone and virtually everyone
      who wants to work in the fashion industry can benefit from our state-
      of the-industry computerized approach to education.
      It wasn't my goal to be the biggest college around, simply the best.
      Because of that focus, college has grown so much and it is on its
      way to be one of the biggest. What I have come to realize is that
      being the best is a challenge that must be addressed every day.
      Being the best, means being the best every day. My staff and I
      relish this challenge on a daily basis.

      AE: What has contributed to the success in your business?

      SK : The success of CDC has been built on planning, people, focus
      and perseverance. When I started CDC, I had a 15-year plan. During
      the first five years, I focused on developing the foundation of a
      great school. I developed a great curriculum, using the latest
      technology that no one had used before. I assembled a great staff,
      and I put the facility and equipment in place.

      Once the foundation was laid, we started our second five-year phase
      of growth and development. During years 6-10, CDC added faculty,
      recruited more students, and grew its staff. Each year during this
      phase, CDC became bigger and better. By year 10, CDC was a dynamic
      institution ready to move into its expansion phase. In years 11-15,
      I will be focused on expanding virtually everything about CDC. We
      have put new programs in place. We have added new technology. We
      have also added new facilities, and this is just the beginning. We
      have plans to build our state-of-the-art campus and add Culinary
      Arts, Graphic Design, Multi-Media, and Animation Design programs.

      CDC would not be the success it is without its great faculty and
      staff. I have been very fortunate to be able to recruit some of the
      best professionals in the business. They work hard every day to make
      CDC the best.

      Despite a great plan and superior people, nothing would have
      happened without persistence. CDC has survived fires, floods, and
      riots. We have persevered through every challenge and are a
      magnificent school because of it.

      AE: How have you involved yourself in the community and how has it
      made you a good business citizen?

      Being a community leader is an obligation I take very seriously. I
      participate
      in several Korean-American organizations and enjoy my role in the
      community. I also serve on the Golden State Scholarshare Investment
      Board. When both man-made and natural disasters have hit Los
      Angeles, I have used the cross-cultural language of fashion to heal
      the community. CDC has staged numerous fashion shows for the public
      which brings people from all backgrounds together. CDC has been
      called a model corporate citizen by several prominent political
      leaders.
      My everyday life has been involved with community work, whether it
      has been political fundraisers, or philanthropic events benefiting
      children's education, arts, design or entertainment. I serve as a
      board member for several organizations such as Young Presidents'
      Organization, Career College Association, California Association for
      Private Postsecondary Schools, Fashion Group International, and
      Korean American Coalition.

      AE: Are there any more details or information that you would like
      our readers to know?

      CDC's mission is to be the leader in design technology education. We
      live that mission every day. I am proud of what I have been able to
      create. I am even prouder of the thousands of students who have
      passed through CDC and are now leaders in the fashion industry. The
      excitement of daily labor never ends because of the inspiration our
      students and graduates bring to all of us at CDC.

      =

      Fortune Magazine: Second Act
      The Student/Philanthropist: Sabrina Kay
      Ever wonder what you'd do if you sold your business?
      By Anne Fisher
      http://www.sabrinakay.com/press/fortune04.asp

      Ever wonder what it would be like to sell your business to a
      much larger company and then stay on as a fat-cat executive? Be
      warned: If Sabrina Kay's experience is any guide, you won't like it.
      In January 2003 she sold her fashion-design school, California
      Design College, to Pittsburgh's Education Management for an amount
      that was enough to set her up nicely for life. Part of what made the
      deal appealing to Kay was that EDMC would give her the chance, she
      thought, to develop new educational ventures. She spent a year
      working for EDMC, with the title CEO of Special Projects. It was not
      a good year. "Working in a billion-dollar corporation, there are a
      lot of politics and bureaucracy. When systems matter more than
      individual input, we entrepreneurs get flattened," she says. "I
      spent the last six months there twiddling my thumbs. So we parted
      ways."

      Kay came to the U.S. with her parents as a 19-year-old who "didn't
      speak enough English to order lunch at McDonald's." She wanted to be
      a fashionista, and figured out how to apply CAD/CAM to designing at
      a time when few American designers even used computers. Her school
      started in 1991 with six students in her bedroom, and grew into the
      biggest nationally accredited school of its kind in the country,
      with a student body of about 800.

      The business didn't leave time for Kay's own education. She's now a
      full-time student in the University of Southern California's
      executive MBA program. "It's challenging, because everyone else here
      has had far more business training," she says. "My background was
      really in the arts, and I just picked up the business stuff on the
      fly, so I have to work hard to keep up. But I love the intellectual
      stimulation."

      At the same time, Kay has launched the Sabrina Kay Charitable
      Foundation, which has two main projects: building a homeless
      shelter, with educational programs, for women and children, and
      developing mentoring and internship programs for young people who
      want to enter fashion. "Right now Los Angeles has beds in shelters
      for 800 men but none for women. We have to fix that," she says. "And
      the mentoring programs are great. It's fun for me to help kids see
      their potential."

      Will she start another company someday? Seems likely: Kay has
      already set up a venture capital firm called Fashion Umbrella that
      funds fledgling apparel companies. Still, she's in no rush to get
      back in the CEO seat. "The life I have now gives me a chance to be a
      normal human being. My company was a passionate love affair for 14
      years, but I never had a social life. It would be nice to get
      married and have a family. That's something I just never got around
      to."

      --------

      A Sharp Mind
      Who redefines cutting edge
      by James Flanigan, Los Angeles Times, 01/01/03
      http://www.sabrinakay.com/press/latimes010103.asp

      Sabrina Kay has stitched together quite a success story -- one that
      shows why Los Angeles remains a productive center of the global
      garment industry and underscores how U.S. trade statistics can be
      misleading.

      During the last decade, Kay has built the California Design College
      into a vital institution that teaches computer-aided pattern making
      and apparel-merchandising methods to hundreds of students a year.

      Her graduates, in turn, are finding jobs plentiful. That's because,
      although Los Angeles has lost a large amount of sewing work to
      places where it can be done much cheaper, from Mexico to Central
      America to Asia, the high-end tasks are being performed here. Among
      them: computer-aided design and pattern making, size grading and
      color setting.

      "Designs are all being done by U.S. firms," says Brent Kauffman, a
      20-year veteran of the California garment industry and sales manager
      for Isda & Co., a high-end sportswear firm based in San Francisco.

      The patterns and instructions are then sent via the Internet to
      China, South Korea, Vietnam and elsewhere in the developing world
      for the needlework to be completed. The resulting garments come back
      through the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, where they are
      registered as imports. But the more valuable intellectual property,
      which was created here and beamed to Asia, is not counted as a U.S.
      export. That's because digital CAD-CAM files, unlike cartons of
      slacks and blouses, can't be tallied by customs officials.

      The upshot: Experts spend too much time worrying about a growing
      trade deficit while missing the fact that the local apparel industry
      is doing pretty darned well despite the competitive pressures of the
      global economy.

      The trend also shows why Sabrina Kay was on to something when she
      borrowed an initial fund from her father, an apparel retailer, to
      open her school in Koreatown in early 1992. She had all of six
      students back then.

      "I gave my father a 15-year business plan," says Kay, who emigrated
      from Seoul to the U.S. with her parents at age 19. "But I wrote it
      in English so he couldn't pick it apart."

      To be sure, hers is not the only place around to learn computer
      skills tailored to the garment trade. Others, including the Fashion
      Institute of Design and Merchandising (with campuses in Northern and
      Southern California) and Cal Poly Pomona, offer similar courses. But
      Kay geared her program for older pupils -- many of whom already were
      out in the working world and eager to advance.

      "I wanted to establish a technical school that would simply teach
      job skills without all the other academic courses," she explains. At
      the time, the garment business was only slowly adopting computer-
      aided techniques because the software was expensive and the Southern
      California economy was mired in recession. But Kay made a deal with
      Lectra, a French software developer, to spread the use of its
      programs if the company would supply her classrooms.

      Her next big move was to obtain accreditation for the school -- a
      process that soaked up considerable energy. "In 1995, I worked day
      and night," Kay recalls. She used to offer her employees overtime so
      they would stay late and help her, prompting a running joke around
      the college: "So, who got to sleep with Ms. Kay last night?"

      The hard work paid off. Today, California Design College pulls in
      multi-million dollars a year in revenue. Many of those who attend
      the school rely on federal loans and grants to pay their $12,000
      tuition -- an arrangement that has provided Kay with a more or less
      guaranteed source of income.

      In the last two years, Kay has expanded her curriculum to include
      courses on how to present merchandise, manage an apparel company and
      display and sell apparel through three-dimensional fashion
      presentations on the Internet.

      "Everybody wants custom fashion, but they don't want to pay for it,"
      Kay says. The answer, she asserts, is technology: allowing customers
      to buy garments measured by computer and then made to order.

      A couple of months ago, Kay took the next logical step for an
      entrepreneur: She sold her school for somewhere in 8 figures to
      Education Management Corp.

      The Pittsburgh-based company was attracted to the college "by the
      curriculum's focus on fashion technology," says David Pauldine,
      president of Education Management's Art Institutes, a system of
      adult schools teaching art and design, culinary skills and fashion.

      But something else proved enticing as well, he adds: "Sabrina's
      leadership and the fact that she has some years left to work and
      advance her career."

      For Kay, who will continue as head of special projects for Education
      Management, going with the larger firm means "having access to the
      capital and infrastructure to expand academically." She wants to
      begin attracting foreign students and offering bachelor's degrees.

      The implication is clear: The needles may have gone abroad. But the
      sharpest minds remain right here.

      -

      Taking Chances
      The Dawning of a Techno Couture
      by Anne H. Kim
      http://www.sabrinakay.com/press/takingchances.asp

      When Southern California's aerospace industry collapsed, Kay Fontana
      found herself out of a job. Her only prospect was a lifelong dream
      that until now was just that, a dream. Armed with her retirement
      money, she took a chance and enrolled in a fledgling design school,
      the generically dubbed California Design College. Kay was in her
      late 30s. After graduating from CDC, she landed a job with Chorus
      Line Apparel teaching computer aided design, CDC's specialty. Today,
      Fontana is the company's VP.

      Taking chances. To many, that's what fashion is all about. And for
      some students, like Fontana, who find themselves having to start
      over again later in life, a school like the California Design
      College can be a welcome opportunity.

      "More than anything [the fashion industry] is very challenging, I've
      seen a 22-year-old making $100,000 a year and I've seen a 57-year-
      old just getting started," says Sabrina Kay, founder and executive
      director of California Design College. "It's only possible in the
      fashion industry."

      Originally, Sabrina Kay had wanted to open a school that would
      provide retraining for fashion industry professionals. But she
      realized there weren't too many professionals out there in need of
      retraining. She switched her focus and developed a basic design
      program using computer technology. Today, her students are as varied
      as an artist's palette and they find new careers and lives at CDC.

      The school itself was built on a chance Kay's father, and numerous
      other investors and educators around California took back in 1991.
      Amid the many discouraging sentiments, CDC opened its doors with the
      goal of giving students with dreams of scissors and tape measures a
      competitive edge by teaching them computer aided design.

      There's no denying technology is invading us. Everywhere you look
      there are people huddled over laptops or people looking at ads
      screaming about special internet discounts. Some think, all this hi-
      tech gadgetry is really getting us nowhere, only faster.

      But in a fast-paced, highly scrutinized industry, such as fashion,
      doing things the old fashioned way will only leave aspiring
      designers in the scrap bag.

      Technology is definitely the runway of the future for fashion and
      CDC is walking the catwalk before everyone else. Lectra, the largest
      international company that provides computer programs for the likes
      of Calvin Klein and Pierre Cardin, considers CDC to be the best
      training ground available for technological design. Just last year,
      the school was also offered full accreditation as a junior college
      allowing students to apply for Pell grants and Stafford loans. CDC
      was also approved as a vendor for the Job Training Program for which
      CDC has capped 95 percent placement and completion. All in just
      under six years of operation.

      "It's been a short time, but we kind of sailed through," Kay says
      with a smile.

      To any other person, "sailing through" may not mean coming in
      everyday along with 'everyone else but leaving at 2 a.m., (3 a.m. is
      overtime), and sometimes pulling all-nighters when deadlines need to
      be met. Other people might have cause for a nervous breakdown if
      they had Kay's schedule, which includes sitting on the boards of 14
      different community organizations, writing columns for five
      newspapers, not to mention the countless weekly television and radio
      shows she co-hosts.

      But all these "extracurricular activities" take place strictly
      during her "spare time," insists this petite professional whose
      energy bubbles over in her laughter. And to all those who ask why
      she doesn't just throw everything down and take off for a vacation,
      she answers, pointing to her desk, "This is my vacation. When I'm at
      work, I'm the happiest. "Except skiing, of course," she adds.

      What matters most to Kay is making the difference and watching
      students take the initiative to educate and improve themselves. Kay
      gets a kick out of visiting different fashion companies and walking
      into the computer room where all the employees are CDC
      graduates. "It's almost like your baby has grown up and became an
      adult!" says Kay with a proud smile.

      That's why Kay doesn't really miss designing, which is what she
      originally intended to do after graduating with a degree in
      industrial design from California State University Long Beach. Kay
      believes working on the educational side of fashion makes more of an
      impact. C o u n s e l i n g always was and always will be a very
      large part of Kay's repertoire at CDC. Each year, she makes it a
      point to meet all of her students at least once and on average she
      spends about four or five hours on her students to help them figure
      out what they want to do. The importance of one-on-one attention at
      CDC makes it unrealistic to expand the enrollment beyond 300. To
      Kay, having a school of 2,000 students is "mass production."

      Having a personal touch is ingrained in Kay who takes her
      inspiration not from a fellow designer but from her father. There
      aren't too many fathers out there with enough faith in an
      inexperienced 27-year-old to give her $500,000 for an experiment.
      Kay's father did. After the first year, she lost $250,000. But
      instead of berating her for losing so much money, he took her to an
      expensive jewelry store in Beverly Hills where he had a $500,000
      necklace waiting for her.

      "He said, 'Here, try this on,'" remembers Kay. After a few minutes,
      they left the store and the necklace. You see, there are women out
      there who spend $500,000 on a necklace, her father told her, but he
      was proud of Sabrina because she was putting her money where she
      felt it would do some good. With that lesson and some sound business
      advice, Sabrina was off and running again.

      California Design College has gotten past its initial hurdles and is
      continuing to grow stronger every year. With the help of her "second
      family," her staff, with whom she credits CDC's success, Sabrina
      hopes that some day all the great designers will be CDC graduates.
      If she keeps going the way she is, that goal just might be possible,
      but if anyone knows Sabrina Kay, she can't stop there. But more
      importantly, Kay won't rest until her long term goal to teach
      computer aided design globally via satellite is realized. But, of
      course, that means working overtime.

      -

      http://www.kscitv.com/rolemodels.asp
      Sabrina Kay - President and CEO, California Design Center. Sabrina
      Kay attended E-Hwa Women's University in 1981 as a freshman, and
      immigrated to the USA in the same year. She graduated from
      California State University in Long Beach, majoring in industrial
      design. She is a member of the California Association for Private
      Postsecondary Schools, as well as the National Association of Women
      Business Owners. Active in the Korean community, Ms. Kay is a member
      of the Korean American Coalition and the Korean American Chamber of
      Commerce.

      --

      Design innovator Sabrina Kay
      Interview with Sabrina Kay.

      Korean born Sabrina Kay has been surrounded by the fashion industry
      her entire life. She was only 19 when her family immigrated to
      America, and despite language barriers and being a single mother,
      Sabrina has become the founder and CEO of the California Design
      College in Los Angeles, a nationally accredited and award-winning
      college that incorporates innovative CAD/CAM software into fashion
      design.

      Korean born Sabrina Kay has been surrounded by the fashion industry
      her entire life. She was only 19 when her family immigrated to
      America, and despite language barriers and being a single mother,
      Sabrina has become the founder and CEO of the California Design
      College in Los Angeles, a nationally accredited and award-winning
      college that incorporates innovative CAD/CAM software into fashion
      design. Sabrina 's own desire to teach led her to form CDC from the
      ground up, starting with only $500,000 and six students in her first
      year. Since then CDC has become a multi-million dollar business
      within only 10 years, boasting 2,500 graduates with a job placement
      rate of over 90%. Awarded as "The Most Successful Asian American
      Entrepreneur Under 40?in 1999, Sabrina's success has been recognized
      by many and serves as a source of inspiration for other Asian
      Americans, especially women. Additionally, Sabrina finds the time to
      write articles for the Korea Times and Korea Central Daily, and host
      a weekly radio show.

      Click here for RealVideo interview.

      Lynna: At the age of 19, your family immigrated to America. What
      aspirations did you have at that time and what motivated your father
      to pick up your whole life and move to another country?

      Sabrina: I was really young and when you're 19, especially when
      you're in high school in Korea, you are not allowed to make a lot of
      decisions. So I really didn't have a lot of aspirations at that
      time. I had a lot of respect for my parents and I believed that my
      father did make a right choice.

      Lynna: Well, when you founded California Design College in 1991, you
      decided to do something completely different, something really
      unique. You actually incorporated the computer software into fashion
      design. What inspired you to make such a bold decision?

      Sabrina: When you are young and brave, it kind of makes you do a lot
      of things that you didn't plan on doing. I grew up in the fashion
      industry, so I was very familiar with fashion. Then, at that time I
      was also working at another college, and I loved being in education,
      being with the students. So, I wanted to incorporate fashion and
      education together and I started doing research on who was doing
      what out there. When I saw computer software—I have always been a
      geek, I love computers—I kind of wanted to know how these fashion
      technologies were getting into the workforce. It was kind of right
      at the beginning of the curve, no one was teaching computers to
      anyone and there were no facilities teaching computer fashion
      design. I saw the opportunity, I jumped at it, and it just
      flourished from there. I started with six students. I actually
      started a college in my bedroom for the first six months. It was
      just my assistant and myself, and we started incorporating the
      school. I was in my 20s, I didn't know what I was doing, and I
      didn't have any business background. So it was easy for me to just
      go ahead and do it because I didn't have a lot of information and I
      had no fear. So, we started a college and we started preparing all
      the self-study programs and went through all the application
      processes, got the license from the state, and then just started a
      school.

      Lynna: And as you mentioned, it started with 6 students in your
      living room and it exploded to 2,500 students?

      Sabrina: No, over 2,500 graduates. We have over 500 current students
      right now and we're growing each year. But, my goal was not to be
      really the largest institution around but we wanted to be the best
      institution around. And I think we accomplished that. Growth came
      very naturally. We never really focused on, "Okay, we're going to
      grow this much next year, we're going to grow that much next year.?
      We always focused on technology, we always focused on what we can do
      to be better. And that was our motto from the very beginning.

      Lynna: So, you think the implementation of your computer software
      was a very attractive thing for your students?

      Sabrina: Absolutely. That was our claim to fame; it was the niche,
      it made a difference. When you look at fashion design, a lot of
      colleges focus on artistic students, right? So, college students,
      high school students, or even students who are in junior colleges,
      they have to be either artistically talented or they have to be more
      of an artist or a creative person to be in the fashion industry or
      have guts to think about being a fashion designer. Three questions
      that I had the most, as a college counselor in the fashion design
      college, was, "Am I talented enough??That's always the first
      question. "I don't know if I really like this. I love fashion. I
      have always been looking through the fashion magazines and really I
      have a lot of passion for fashion, I love the fashion industry but
      I'm not sure if I am talented enough.?That's always the first
      question. The second question is, "What do you think I am going to
      be when I graduate??They don't know what's available out there and
      they cannot see that as a reality. People are dreaming but they
      don't see that as a reality. The third thing is, "How much do I make
      when I graduate??So, those are three questions and I wanted to solve
      for students. One of the ways that you can see yourself very clearly
      in what you're doing is by learning the computer technology. You are
      not focusing on your talent, you're focusing on the technological
      skills just like when you go to medical school, and you learn how to
      cut up people. You are actually learning with your hands how to do
      things. By doing it, people feel much more confident that they can
      really be a fashion designer because they are depending on the
      weapon called computer technology.

      Lynna: You've convinced me. I think I want to go into fashion
      design. Well, in 1999 you were awarded as the "Most successful Asian
      American entrepreneur under 40.?Do you feel your Asian American
      background has helped or hindered your rise to success?

      Sabrina: I was definitely under 40. I don't know if I was the most
      successful Asian American woman. I was honored and I was very
      flattered that I was awarded for such an honor, but I never really
      focused on what I am, whether I am Asian or I am a woman. I was
      never discriminated against by being Asian or by being a woman, nor
      have I ever had an opportunity to take advantage of that situation
      either. There are some minority small business loans, there are a
      lot of programs focused for women, but once you start labeling
      yourself and victimizing yourself, then you become that. I truly
      believe that if you want to be treated equally, you have to act like
      an equal. When you look at our industry, a lot of college presidents
      are 50- and 60-year-old white males. Until now, I thought I was a 50-
      or 60-year-old white male. I acted like one and I went there as a
      colleague and I worked like a colleague instead of victimizing or
      labeling myself as an Asian American woman business owner. I think
      that just focusing on your goal, focusing on your future instead of
      focusing on what can be possibly negative or a hindrance to you,
      helped me a lot more. Again, ignorance sometimes is a great blessing
      that you can have. I didn't know any better.

      Lynna: Well, actually I have never really heard that side of the
      story. Usually the media portrays women striving so hard against
      male domination. It appears in your perspective, since you've been
      through that experience, that it's not like that exactly, that it's
      by your own personal standards and if you think that you can do it,
      then you can do it.

      Sabrina: Exactly.

      Lynna: So, do you feel that the media has misportrayed Asian
      American women?

      Sabrina: I don't think the media has misportrayed them because
      prejudice is not something that happens overnight, it's something
      that happens over time. People live by it everyday. And, I think it
      exists, but once you start victimizing yourself to be that victim of
      the media, you become that victim. So, when you become more of an
      equal, you truly believe that you are one of many and the
      opportunity is equal and you don't focus on what is so-called weak
      or a weakness for you. Then, you don't think about it. So, when
      someone calls me a successful Asian American woman, I have to look
      at the mirror to see if I am an Asian American woman just to
      recognize that "Okay, that's right, I am an Asian American woman.?
      But, I think business is really gender-blind and race-blind because
      business always looks at the results. And as long as you are
      successful, it doesn't really matter what color or what gender you
      are, you are successful.

      Lynna: Right, great. Okay, as you probably know, traditionally, the
      West has valued entrepreneurship, while the East has valued more
      communitarianism—the "me?versus "us?mentality. So, you chose the
      path of entrepreneurship, and how do you feel about this divide in
      values? And do you see more Asian people adopting the Western value?

      Sabrina: Western and eastern values came close together, I think
      within the last 10 years. And a lot of the western values
      of "failure is great,?you know, you fail 10 times and succeed once
      and then the success is much more sweeter than the success without
      failure, is more of a western value. Good examples are Abraham
      Lincoln and Thomas Edison. We really look up to them as mentors
      because of their failures, not just because of their success. And I
      think that that's a great spirit. Whereas, Asian mentality
      is "failure is a disgrace?to the family and once you fail, you've
      dishonored your family and you really did not do well. So, a lot of
      Asian culture, I think, strives to be more timid and doesn't
      encourage the boldness. But somehow, recently, a lot of Asian
      people, I really believe, lead the entrepreneurship. So, you see a
      lot of Koreans and a lot of Chinese business owners in Los Angeles
      and I think it's because when we came to America, well, welcome to
      the world of no choice when you don't speak the language and you
      have to make the money. You end up starting something of your own.
      And then you end up kind of being assimilated into Western culture
      and you learn that failure is okay. We're not ashamed of a possible
      failure type of spirit, so when you combine those two spirits
      together, it's a beautiful combination. It creates wonderful
      entrepreneurship in this country.

      Lynna: We also know, along with being the president and founder of
      CDC, you write columns. You write for the Korea Times and Korea
      Central Daily, as well as a weekly fashion talk show. So, it's
      obvious that you are very immersed in the media. Do you feel that
      the media has played a large role in publicizing CDC?

      Sabrina: I cannot deny that media has helped CDC's growth. I
      jokingly tell people that I sold my time to the media because we
      didn't have the money to advertise. So, I volunteered to write a lot
      of newspaper columns and go to all the talk shows. So, I became a
      household name, therefore CDC became a household name. But also, a
      lot of times, publicity is a blessing and a curse at the same time.
      When you have that much publicity, people's expectations are very
      high. And, you have to live up to those expectations. After I
      started CDC, I feel that I never really had a personal life, I never
      had privacy and that was the price to pay. I was willing to do that
      because I had to grow my baby, and we didn't have a lot of funding
      to grow my baby. I was willing to sacrifice my privacy. I took that
      responsibility very seriously. When media talks to you and when
      media is with you, then you are not just talking, you are talking to
      so many different people, and you are influencing a lot of people's
      decisions and thoughts. So, I take that very seriously.

      Lynna: I'm just curious, it sounds like you do enjoy your job. Do
      you have any regrets along the way, or would you want to do this no
      matter what?

      Sabrina: I have absolutely no regrets. I have been so blessed. Byron
      said he woke up one day and he became famous. I woke up one day and
      I just couldn't believe what the heck happened to me. You know, you
      set a great expectation for yourself and you have a very high
      standard to achieve your goal. When the reality exceeds your goal,
      when reality exceeds your dreams, then what do you do? You've got
      nothing but to thank God, you know, "Thank you, I don't know what
      I've done, but thank you for this blessing.?And then I'm willing to
      give back to whoever needs it.

      Lynna: You provide Asian American women with a role model to look up
      to. Now I know before you said you don't want to label yourself as
      an Asian American or a woman. But, the reality is, I'm sure there
      are a lot of Asian Americans who look up to you. Now, having that
      kind of position and inspiring these young women, how does that make
      you feel? Does that bring you more pressure and give you more
      expectations?

      Sabrina: I think so. Whether it's my students or anyone else,
      whenever someone tells me that they look up to me as a role model,
      I'm completely flattered, number one, because I don't know if I
      deserve that role. But, I look at my mentors who have helped me
      along the way, and they didn't volunteer to be mentors but they
      became mentors because of their actions and because of their
      sincerity. And I think I sincerely believe that whoever comes to me,
      I am willing to help because I have a great story to tell. If that
      inspires anyone, I feel extremely blessed that I can be part of
      their life, in some way, some how, in any way possible.

      Lynna: Who are some of these role models that you've had along the
      way?

      Sabrina: The greatest mentors that I had in my life, and I still do,
      are my parents. My father brought me all the goodness of human
      beings. He brought me literature, poetry, opera, classical music,
      all the good things in life. And, then he taught me how to be fair
      without being weak. My mother was very good at stressing me out,
      ever since I was a child. She brought me discipline, how to be the
      best, and how to be assertive and ambitious without losing
      femininity. So, I think my parents who were so different from each
      other—I still wonder how they lived together for 40 years—both
      brought interesting values to me and I think that made me who I am
      today. Along the way, I've had great mentors—business colleagues and
      other college presidents, even neighbors whom I meet—and I am a
      people-junkie. I love people. I love friends. And I'm a very loyal
      person, so once I make a friend, I want to keep them for the rest of
      my life. There are not that many that you feel that "I'll do
      anything for you?and "You'll do anything for me,?but I feel blessed
      that I have enough that it spills out of my ten fingers. I feel
      really blessed that I have those great friends who are also my
      mentors.

      Lynna: That's wonderful, wow. One final question. What advice can
      you offer to other Asian American women striving to make it in
      America?

      Sabrina: I would say to stay focused and that's one of the most
      important things in life. I think we are all born with A.D.D., you
      know, there are a million and three things that interest you
      everyday. Especially when I talk to my creative students, they have
      thousands of ideas, and they dream of these ideas every single day.
      You know what? Ideas don't pay. The reality is that you can only do
      so many things in 24 hours. The first step is information. A lot of
      times, when you have thousands of different interests you cannot be
      the expert; you cannot be the professional in many areas. So, be an
      expert in one area. Have that information. Be the junkie in one
      career or one thing that you choose. Be the best so that no one else
      can compete with you because you are the best. Whether it's singing,
      or running, or anything else, whatever your passion is, have that
      information, have great mentors, and have great friends. Surround
      yourself with that one thing that you like the most. Then, the
      second step is to make a solid plan based on that information. And
      then, put it into action. When that information becomes action, then
      the transformation starts. That's when the success begins.

      Lynna: Wonderful. Thank you so much for your wonderful answers. We
      appreciate it. Thank you so much.

      Sabrina: You're welcome. Thank you for having me.