[TV] Yun-jin Kim - Actress in ABC's "Lost"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2005
      Kim Yun-jin
      http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/6434_310699,001600230001.htm

      In middle school, on the stage of the musical My Fair Lady, Kim Yun-
      jin found her voice. At the time, the future star of Shiri (1998)
      was a shy girl in Staten Island, N.Y., wondering who she was.

      Having immigrated to the United States with her family at the age of
      10, she faced a language and cultural barrier that silenced her. "I
      was cast as only an extra, but that day, I stood on the stage and
      sang loudly in my own voice," Kim has said in an interview. Life has
      never been the same since.

      Now one of the most respected actresses in Korea, Kim found more
      than just her voice that day. She found her life path and devoted
      herself to it unreservedly. She enrolled in the famed High School of
      Performing Arts, breaking away from the suburban world of football
      players and cheerleaders she once inhabited.

      Kim's dedication to her craft took her next to Boston University and
      the London Academy of Performing Arts where she studied drama. She
      was on the stage in Broadway when her former homeland called. In
      1996, she was asked to appear in the Korean television drama A
      Gorgeous Vacation, which was followed by two other roles in
      Foreboding and Wedding Dress.

      As if to reward her hard work, fortune smiled on Kim quickly. She
      was offered a script for her first film the next year. "Even then, I
      had no idea I would live in Korea. I thought I would finish the film
      and go back to the United States," she said. But the film happened
      to be Shiri, a groundbreaking action thriller that set a box office
      record at the time.

      But there is no doubt that Kim's latest role in director Byun Young-
      joo's Ardor (Milae) is the most daring - and ambitious - of her
      ripening career. The film depicts an ordinary housewife who strays
      into a passionate sexual liaison after her husband's affair tears
      her world apart.

      After playing only supporting characters, Kim is asked to carry the
      film this time, appearing in almost every scene. The part also
      required much nudity, news of which kept the nation's tabloids and
      even major dailies in Korea busy for a while.

      "If I couldn't take a great role because of the exposure, I felt I
      couldn't call myself an actress. An actress should do those scenes
      without hesitation," she said, before admitting she wrestled with
      the decision for months.

      What began as a chance occurrence in a Staten Island middle school
      is now in Kim's blood. She says acting is what makes her feel
      alive. "I plan to rest for a bit after Ardor, but the idea almost
      scares me. I feel like I have no meaning."

      =

      'Lost' actress finds her voice
      She's talking now, but even she doesn't know how season ends
      By SUSAN KING
      Los Angeles Times
      http://www.jsonline.com/enter/tvradio/may05/324119.asp

      Hollywood - The hit ABC series "Lost" is threaded through with story
      lines - there are more than 13 characters in the ensemble portraying
      crash survivors on an island in the Pacific - and Yunjin Kim's
      demure Sun has been one of the highlights.

      At the outset, Sun and her possessive husband, Jin-Soo (Daniel Dae
      Kim), spoke only in Korean and isolated themselves from the rest of
      the survivors. Recently, though, Sun revealed that she speaks
      English and proved that she possessed more inner strength than
      anyone, including her husband, had imagined.

      Kim, 31, grew up on New York's Staten Island but has called Seoul,
      South Korea, home for the past eight years. She's appeared in
      numerous miniseries and movies, including the international hit
      Korean thriller "Shiri."

      Before reporting to work on "Lost," Kim was on a popular reality
      show in which celebrities foster orphan babies to help them get
      adopted. Kim, who is single, fostered a 10-month-old boy for two
      weeks before a family was found for him.

      Q.Will all the secrets of the island be revealed on the finale
      of "Lost" on May 25?

      A. I think the writers will give us something, but I think it will
      be another cliffhanger. You have to come back for the second season.
      For us it's frustrating, too. We are just as much in the dark as the
      rest of the audience. We get our scripts pretty late. Sometimes we
      get them the day before we go to shoot, which is fine because you
      are only doing eight pages a day, and I don't say very much.

      Q.But now, with Sun speaking English, you have a lot more dialogue.

      A. Thank God everyone knows now (that the character can speak
      English). I can mingle with others. I can get involved in other
      people's crises. There are some characters Sun has never even talked
      to!

      Still, I get this fan mail from all over the world that says they
      kind of wish that Sun doesn't speak English or just speaks Korean.
      They liked the fact I didn't say much. They said sometimes they
      didn't need to read the subtitles to understand what was going on.

      Q. Wasn't the reaction from the Asian community rather negative to
      Sun and Jin-Soo?

      A. In the very beginning, we were sort of portrayed as a bad
      stereotype of an Asian couple, the subservient wife and domineering
      husband. But I kept on saying that you have to watch the characters
      because they will continue to grow, and you will see the reason why
      he is treating her that way and why she is reacting that way. In the
      beginning I was really concerned that the whole Asian community
      would be turned off.

      Every character on "Lost" is an archetype, and . . . once they are
      in motion, they break away (from the archetype).

      Q.Sun's defining moment was defying Jin-Soo by wearing the bikini.

      A. I got more response from coming out in a bikini. I thought it was
      really silly. They thought it was very symbolic, and I thought it
      wasn't like just a girl in a bikini, it had a meaning. It was Sun
      finally putting her foot down and saying, "I am going to go and take
      a swim."

      Q.You were born in South Korea but attended the High School of Music
      & Art and Performing Arts in New York. How did you end up back in
      Korea as a working actress? Was it just lack of decent roles in
      America?

      A. No. When I graduated from Boston University, colorblind casting
      was in fashion, so I didn't have too many problems getting roles
      onstage. I was always constantly busy, and then back in 1997 I got
      cast in a Korean miniseries.

      It was just a random thing. I was in New York, and I had a friend
      who knew a producer who was coming to New York to shoot a miniseries.

      It was, like, 15 episodes, and they were going to shoot three
      episodes in New York and then go back to Korea. I got cast on the
      spot. Before I knew it, I was in Korea shooting this miniseries. And
      it took off.

      Q.What was the miniseries about?

      A. It was a very kind of trendy miniseries about a cosmetics
      company. I played this sassy woman. I sort of had an American accent
      in my Korean, but it kind of worked. People responded to the
      character.

      And then I got cast in this movie called "Shiri." That was my first
      feature film, and it came over here. It was a big hit.