Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

[COMMUNITY] Filipino American's Rescue of Jews During WWII

Expand Messages
  • madchinaman
    Quezon s List http://www.inq7.net/globalnation/col_gln/2005/mar08.htm (Supplement to Message #5587) - We recall today not only the justice in the face of
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2005
      Quezon's List
      (Supplement to Message #5587)


      "We recall today not only the justice in the face of tyranny," Del
      Rosario said, "but just as importantly, the common humanity that we
      can share, even in the darkest of times."


      THANKS to Steven Spielberg, the whole world knows about Oskar
      Schindler and his "List" which saved the lives of 1200 German Jews
      in World War II. But few know about the Philippine List compiled by
      the Frieder brothers which saved a similar number of German and
      Austrian Jews in 1939.

      It was a shameful time in US history when US policy barred 900
      Jewish refugees from disembarking from their liner (St. Louis) in
      Miami, forcing the ship to return back to Germany, dooming its
      hapless passengers to extermination in Nazi concentration camps.

      But it was a proud moment in Philippine history even though it has
      never been the subject of a movie nor is it even widely known by

      It was celebrated last month on February 12 in Cincinnati, Ohio with
      a reunion of Jewish refugees from the Philippines who had gathered
      to mark the 60th anniversary of the destruction of their Manila
      synagogue, Temple Emil.

      Organized by the Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education at
      Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion of Cincinnati, the
      event culminated a weekend that reunited 98 Frieder relatives and
      seven surviving members of the 1939 List who gave testimony to the
      courage of the four Frieder brothers who organized the rescue effort
      in the darkening days before World War II. The event also honored
      Manuel L. Quezon, the first president of the Philippine Commonwealth.
      The story of the Manila rescue was recounted by Frank Ephraim in his
      book, "Escape to Manila: From Nazi Tyranny to Japanese Terror"
      (University of Illinois Press, 2003). Ephraim's book is based on his
      research, on his interviews with survivors, and on his own
      eyewitness account as a child who was one of 1200 Jewish refugees
      who arrived in Manila in 1939.

      The history of the rescue begins with the decision of the Frieder
      brothers in 1918 to relocate its two-for-a-nickel cigar business
      from Manhattan to the Philippines, where production would be
      cheaper. Alex, Philip, Herbert and Morris Frieder took turns
      overseeing the business in Manila for two years each joining a
      community that had fewer than 200 Jews.

      In 1937, Philip and Alex Frieder met European Jews who had straggled
      in to Manila's port from Shanghai and heard harrowing accounts from
      them of the fate of the17,000 Jews in Shanghai who were seeking to
      flee the Japanese after they had fled the Nazis.

      The Frieders decided to ask the help of their poker buddies to let
      the Philippines become a haven for the fleeing Jews.

      Fortunately, one of their buddies was Paul V. McNutt, the American
      High Commissioner for the Philippines; and another was Manuel L.
      Quezon, the president of the Philippine Commonwealth. (Another poker
      crony was a young officer named Col. Dwight D. Eisenhower, the aide
      of Gen. Douglas MacArthur, then Field Marshall of the Philippines).

      McNutt succeeded in convincing US State Department bureaucrats to
      turn a blind eye and to quietly allow Jews to enter Manila at a rate
      of 1,000 a year. (In 1939, it was increased to 1200).

      But President Quezon had a more difficult task as many anti-semitic
      Filipinos in his administration opposed the proposal because they
      considered Jews to be "Communists and schemers" bent on "controlling
      the world"

      In a letter written in August of 1939, Alex Frieder wrote of Mr.
      Quezon's response: "He assured us that big or little, he raised hell
      with every one of those persons… He made them ashamed of themselves
      for being a victim of propaganda intended to further victimize an
      already persecuted people."

      Quezon even donated personal land he owned to the Jewish refugees.

      At the Cincinnati event, Quezon was posthumously honored with the
      title "Righteous Person," which, in the tradition of Israel and
      those commemorating the Holocaust, is the title given to Gentiles
      (non-Jews) who helped the Jewish people in their time of persecution.

      Accepting the honor on behalf of the late President Manuel L. Quezon
      was his grandson, Manuel L. Quezon III, a Philippine Daily Inquirer
      columnist, who told the New York Times reporter "We're a very
      hospitable people and we had experienced exile and imprisonment
      during the Spanish colonization and the early American occupation,
      so someone of my grandfather's generation would have been conscious
      of the plight of refugees. We're a sucker for anyone who's

      Also at the Cincinnati celebration was Alex Frieder's daughter,
      Alice Weston, who described his father and uncles as "the right
      persons in the right place at the right time." Alice, now 78, was a
      young girl in Manila in 1939 when her father and her uncle Philip
      organized the rescue. "My father wasn't an exceptional person," she
      said. "He was an ordinary businessman and he saw this horrible
      situation and he thought of a way to help a little bit."

      The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and invasion of the Philippines
      ended the Jewish rescue.

      Interestingly enough, the Japanese did not intern the German Jews in
      the Philippines as they initially treated them as Germans, then as
      stateless. In his book, Ephraim wrote that the Japanese "had a dim
      view of German racial doctrines - they weren't Aryans."

      The survivors at the Cincinnati gathering recounted their harrowing
      experience of subsisting on "cracked wheat and coconut milk" during
      the Japanese occupation.

      In response to the arrival of the American liberation forces in the
      Philipp[ines in 1945, the retreating Japanese burned much of Manila.

      Eva Asner, a 1939 Manila refugee, told the audience in Cincinnati
      that when her father, Bernhard Süsskind, returned to the fire-
      engulfed city to rescue a nurse, he was shot to death. He was one of
      the sixty-seven Jewish refugees who were among the 100,000 Manilans
      killed by the retreating Japanese and the Americans who bombed the
      hell out of the city instead of risking more American lives in armed
      combat with the Japanese soldiers. In the course of the bombing,
      Temple Emil burned to the ground on February 11, 1945.

      Philippine Ambassador to the US Albert F. del Rosario informed the
      Cincinnati celebrants that Philippine President Gloria Arroyo will
      present the National Legion of Honor, Commanders Class, to writer
      Frank Ephraim and posthumously to all the Frieder brothers and to

      "We recall today not only the justice in the face of tyranny," Del
      Rosario said, "but just as importantly, the common humanity that we
      can share, even in the darkest of times."


      Cigar Saviors: the Frieder Brothers

      It was November 10, 1938, the day after Kristallnacht, the "Night of
      Broken Glass." Siegfried Strausser and his father, Isadore, had just
      been arrested by the Gestapo. While the elder Strausser was released
      after ten days, Siegfried was taken to the Dachau concentration
      camp, where he might have stayed indefinitely if not for the fact
      that his occupation provided him a way out.

      Strausser was a cigarmaker, an expert from Schweinfurt, Germany.
      Three months before, he and his wife, Klara, had learned about a
      refugee immigration program being organized in the Philippines, in
      large part, by four American brothers named Frieder who owned a
      cigar factory in Manila. To qualify for the program, an applicant
      had to be in engaged in one of 14 approved occupations, one of which
      was cigar making. Strausser was eventually granted a visa, and on
      February 2, 1939, he left Germany for Manila, where he went to work
      for the Frieders' Helena Cigar Factory (his wife and father would
      follow later).

      The Straussers were among some 1,200 German and Austrian Jews who
      managed to flee the Nazis and immigrate to the Philippines -- then a
      U.S. commonwealth -- under the auspices of the program coordinated
      by the Frieder brothers and the Jewish Refugee Committee they headed
      in Manila. While not widely known, the Frieders' efforts in the
      late '30s and early '40s helped save as many Jews from the Nazis as
      were saved by the German industrialist Oskar Schindler, whose story
      is famously recounted in the 1993 film Schindler's List. The
      brothers' resourcefulness came during a time when most of the
      world's nations, including the United States, were turning a blind
      eye toward the plight of the Jews, millions of whom would later
      perish in concentration camps.

      The Frieders' rescue work is meticulously documented in the 2003
      book Escape to Manila: From Nazi Tyranny to Japanese Terror, which
      was written by Frank Ephraim, one of the refugees. Ironically, some
      of the Jews who found safety in the Philippines later perished
      during the ferocious Battle of Manila, which ended 60 years ago last

      Ephraim and a number of other survivors, as well as dozens of
      Frieder descendants, gathered last month in Cincinnati to honor the
      efforts of the brothers -- Philip, Alex, Morris and Herbert -- six
      decades to the day that Temple Emil in Manila was destroyed by the
      Japanese. It was the brothers' connections with Philippine and U.S.
      officials, as well as their tireless labor -- both in America and in
      the East Asian nation -- that allowed them to raise money, secure
      affidavits, passports and transit visas, and find jobs and homes for
      the refugees in Manila.

      "Everybody knew the Jews were being terribly persecuted in Europe,"
      Alice Weston, one of Alex Frieder's daughters, said in an
      interview. "My father just happened to be the right person at the
      right time to make it possible for them to get out."

      Who was this family that helped provide a haven to Jews at a time
      when most countries were closing their doors to them?

      First and foremost, they were cigar men. Their company, S. Frieder &
      Sons, was founded by the brothers' father, Samuel, around 1910 as a
      retail business in New York City. A few years later, the family
      bought a distributorship in Cincinnati. Looking to expand the
      business, Samuel and his two oldest sons, Philip and Alex, went to
      the Philippines about 1918, where they bought cigars and sold them
      back in the United States. Soon, however, they discovered that it
      was cheaper to make the cigars themselves, so they established a
      manufacturing facility in Manila, called the Helena Cigar Factory.
      The four brothers took two-year turns living in Manila and heading
      the business there.

      The factory produced as many as 250 million cigars a year, according
      to Herbert's son Sam Frieder, the current president of S. Frieder
      subsidiary DES Tobacco Corp., which operates five retail stores in
      Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. The cigars, consisting of
      brands called Tiona and El Toro, were sold in the States at the not
      uncommon price of two-for-a-nickel.

      The cigars were made entirely with Philippine tobacco, and simply
      getting the tobacco to the factory was arduous. The brothers would
      travel north to the Cagayen Valley, which Weston said was a
      difficult destination to reach. "There were no good bridges. They
      had to get a bamboo raft and ford a stream," she said. A few men
      would come along to help negotiate with the farmers, she noted. In
      the late '30s, Strausser frequently traveled to the plantations to
      serve as a quality control expert during the purchasing process.

      In addition to Strausser, at least one other refugee cigar worker
      was brought to the Philippines as a result of the Frieders' rescue
      efforts. David Rosenblatt, whom Ephraim said he knew, was an expert
      in cigar making, but he was also an accomplished cook and later,
      after the war, served the Jewish community in Manila as a volunteer
      providing relief services.

      The seeds for the Jewish exodus to the Philippines had been planted
      in 1937, when a group of 28 Jews who had earlier fled Germany for
      Shanghai were evacuated by the Germans to Manila after fighting in
      Shanghai had escalated between Chinese and Japanese troops. The
      newly formed Jewish Refugee Committee in Manila, headed by Philip
      Frieder, helped the new arrivals get settled.

      "[The Frieder brothers] were in a so-called strategic position
      there," said Ephraim, referring to the family's leadership in the
      Manila Jewish community. "[The arrivals of the Jews from Shanghai]
      gave them the idea: Why can't we bring in more Jews? Things were
      getting progressively worse in Germany, and they were aware of that.
      That got them motivated, and they wanted to help."

      Fortunately, the brothers had contacts in high places. Alex Frieder
      had played poker with the likes of Dwight D. Eisenhower; Paul
      McNutt, the U.S. High Commissioner of the Philippines; and Manuel
      Quezon, the Philippine president. In early 1938, McNutt conferred
      with Philip, telling him he would allow Jews to immigrate to the
      Philippines if the Jewish community in Manila would guarantee their
      financial support. Frieder and the refugee committee agreed, at
      which point the list of acceptable occupations was devised, which
      included physicians, engineers, technical specialists and a rabbi,
      among others. By late October 1938, the first group of refugees,
      more than a hundred, had been approved to receive visas to enter the

      Around the same time, Alex Frieder was returning to Manila to take
      his brother's place as head of the cigar factory and director of the
      Jewish Refugee Committee. He did whatever he could to assist
      refugees, even if sometimes they didn't meet all the committee's
      requirements. On one such occasion, according to Ephraim, Frieder
      interceded on behalf of a German Jew named Egon Juliusberger and his
      son Ernst who had made their way to Manila, but were not on the
      refugee committee's "approved" list because the father's coal supply
      business was not one of the officially recognized occupations.
      Nevertheless, the cigarmaker instructed one of his aides to take
      them to see McNutt, who decided to make an exception and grant visas
      to the Juliusbergers, presumably because they had brought sufficient
      funds to support themselves. Ernst was later imprisoned and tortured
      by the Japanese after they took control of the Philippines, but
      survived and eventually served with the U.S. Army.

      Meanwhile, Philip continued his efforts back in the States. In June
      1939, he met with the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
      in an attempt to raise more money for the rescue work.

      While 1,200 Jews were able to take advantage of the Manila refugee
      program, which effectively ended in early 1941 as travel
      restrictions and other obstacles posed by the ongoing war in Europe
      became too difficult to overcome, another proposal, floated in
      December 1938, might have brought an additional 10,000 Jews to the
      Philippines. Dubbed the Mindanao Plan and supported by President
      Quezon, it would have permitted 1,000 Jews a year to be admitted to
      agricultural lands on Mindanao, the southernmost Philippine island,
      for 10 years. Besides representing the Jewish Refugee Committee in
      the plan's discussions, the Frieder brothers worked behind the
      scenes, contacting an owner of a ranch that had been identified as a
      possible settlement site, and a sales contract was agreed upon. But
      opposition by local Philippine officials eventually doomed the

      In June 1941, Herbert Frieder, who had been running the Manila
      factory since 1939, returned to America and Philip replaced him in
      Manila. But in November, with the Japanese threat looming closer,
      Philip was forced to depart, bringing along the company's final
      shipment of cigars, and the plant soon closed. It was destroyed in
      the war.

      Back in America, the Frieders used tobacco from Pennsylvania,
      Connecticut, Florida and Central America to make such brands as
      Habanello and Garcia. They eventually established their headquarters
      in Philadelphia, and in the late '40s, they produced cigars in
      Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, then a hotbed for cigar manufacturing.
      Alex's son-in-law Edwin Lichtig Jr., who had entered the family
      business in the late 1930s in the Philippines, oversaw the Wilkes-
      Barre operation. At its peak, in the early 1950s, S. Frieder & Sons
      produced about 100 million cigars annually.

      Because the company was small, it found it hard to compete with some
      of the bigger factories in the area, such as those run by General
      Cigar and Consolidated Cigar. "We didn't have the same economies of
      scale as the larger companies," recalled Sam Frieder, who joined S.
      Frieder in 1957 as a salesman. "We didn't have the infrastructure
      and capital to compete with the big guys."

      In the late '50s and '60s, the company "found its niche" in
      manufacturing private-label cigars for large retailers, Frieder
      said. The company formed a retail division, DES Tobacco, in 1974,
      and sold cigars inside Sears Roebuck stores. In 1978, the company
      sold its manufacturing business to U.S. Tobacco.


      Local woman attends ceremony honoring saviors who got German Jews
      safely to Philippines
      By Tracy Sullivan

      MARCH 4, 2005 - WEST HARTFORD - Lotte Cassel Hershfield was able
      flee Nazi Germany for the Philippines and come to the United States
      because of "the kindness of strangers," she said, quoting a line
      from "A Streetcar Named Desire."

      Among those strangers were the Frieder brothers of Cincinnati who
      used the connections formed through their cigar business to save
      1,200 Jewish lives in the darkening days before the storm of World
      War II.

      Hershfield, along with her husband, Rabbi Nathan Hershfield, and
      their two children, were among the hundreds of people gathered at
      Cincinnati's historic Plum Street Temple Feb. 13 to honor the
      Frieder brothers. Organized by the Center for Holocaust and Humanity
      Education at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, the
      event was the culmination of a weekend that reunited 98 Frieder
      relatives and seven Jewish refugees, including Hershfield, who was
      just 7 when she arrived in the Philippines with her parents and

      Testimony and tributes from those relatives and refugees served as
      the focal point of the ceremony, which also posthumously honored
      Manuel Quezon, the first president of the Philippines, and Paul V.
      McNutt, an American high commissioner there.

      Alice Weston, Alex Frieder's daughter, provided the background for
      her family's heroic actions. Moving to New York from Hungary in the
      1880s, her grandfather, Samuel Frieder, established the S. Frieder
      Company in midtown Manhattan and eventually opened a distribution
      office in downtown Cincinnati.

      It was cheaper to make cigars in the Philippines, so four of the
      brothers each took turns running the business on the hot, humid
      island, then a U.S. protectorate. Each lived in the Philippines for
      two years.

      Weston said her father and uncles knew U.S. and Filipino officials.
      They played bridge with then-Colonel Dwight D. Eisenhower, she said,
      and practiced their poker skills on McNutt and Quezon.

      She said the brothers urged Quezon to allow Jewish refugees into the
      country. They "promised they would not be a burden on the community,
      but an asset." To that end the brothers concentrated their efforts
      on bringing over Jews who had skills that would be useful in the

      Quezon, a devout Catholic, "enthusiastically agreed," she said, and
      gave away parcels of his own land to the Jewish refugees so they
      could begin to make their own livings.

      Through the efforts of the brothers and the American Jewish Joint
      Distribution Committee, the refugees received the visas that allowed
      them to escape Europe. When they arrived in the Philippines they
      were given jobs, money and shelter. Those German-Jewish refugees
      joined a community that had only a few hundred Jews before they
      arrived there.

      A more ambitious plan to open immigration to 10,000 or more Jewish
      families fell by the wayside as the Japanese army swept through
      Indochina, said Racelle Weiman, director of the Center for Holocaust
      and Humanity Education. And the U.S. State Department did not
      support the idea, she added.

      Frank Ephraim, who was 8 when he fled with his parents from Germany
      to the Philippines, wrote "Escape to Manila: From Nazi Tyranny to
      Japanese Terror," which spurred Weiman to find a way to honor those
      involved and to tell their stories. Hershfield is featured in
      Ephraim's book.

      Recalling her own escape from Europe as a child, Hershfield said it
      had been "a great relief" when the Philippines offered visas to her

      Born in Breslau, Germany, which is now in Poland, Hershfield said
      her family learned about the availability of these visas through
      word of mouth and in local newspapers. Her father, who in 1937 had
      been fired from his job as a district manager for a liquor company
      because he was Jewish, applied for the visas.

      "He felt that because the Philippines were an American protectorate
      that we could eventually get to the United States," Hershfield

      She added that her family was able to obtain visas because the
      German consul in Breslau wanted the Jews to get out of the country.

      It cost 8,000 German marks for Hershfield, her parents and her
      brother to travel to the Philippines.

      Hershfield recalled her mother crying as the ship docked in every
      port on the month-long trip from Europe. When they arrived in the
      Philippines, their first Friday night meal included chicken
      soup. "And my mother cried all over again," she said.

      Hershfield lived in the Philippines for nine years, from 1938-1947,
      primarily in Manila, and her father worked for a Swiss import

      "Before the war, for us children, it was a fairly easy life,"
      Hershfield said. "You had mostly good weather, and you were not
      burdened by having to wear any heavy clothes."

      Hershfield went to a Catholic school because, she explained, the
      private schools were far better than the public schools, and the
      German nuns there were willing to teach her and her classmates

      But after a couple of years, the nuns wanted to baptize the Jewish
      students. So Hershfield transferred to an elementary school at the
      Philippine's Women's University.

      She recalled meeting Alex Frieder at special ceremonies as a child,
      and Herbert Frieder opened up his summer home in Baguio for Friday
      night services.

      But then life changed dramatically when the Japanese invaded the
      Philippines. Hershfield and her family were interned with other
      Caucasians at a university in Santa Tomas. "There was great hunger
      and deprivation," she said. "There were daily bombings

      While the Japanese occupation of the Philippines was "terror and
      hell," Hershfeld noted the one thing it was not — extermination.

      In February 1945, during the month-long Battle of Manila, 100,000
      Filipinos were killed. Of those, 67 were German-Jewish refugees. And
      on Feb. 11, 1945, the local shul, Temple Emil, burned to the ground.

      Hershfield was liberated by the Americans in 1945. Two years later,
      she and her family, with the help of unknown cousins in the United
      States, settled in Baltimore, Md.

      Underscoring a message that "goodness and justice must come from an
      impulse of the heart," Manuel Quezon III, the president's grandson,
      paid tribute to the humanitarian ideals and efforts that saved so
      many lives.

      "If misery and the loss of freedom are part of our past," he
      said, "then extending sanctuary and embracing the oppressed must be
      part of our present. History is about choices and history demands
      that we make the right choice, the compassionate choice, the human

      McNutt, a one-time governor of Indiana and who had his sights set on
      the presidency, was sent by Franklin Delano Roosevelt to Manila to
      assume the post of U.S. High Commissioner, where McNutt would play
      an integral part in letting the U.S. State Department ignore
      immigration quotas and admit 1,000 Jewish refugees a year.

      Albert F. del Rosario, the Philippines' ambassador to the United
      States, said Philippine President Gloria Arroyo will present the
      National Legion of Honor, Commanders Class, to Ephraim and Weiman
      this spring. The Frieder brothers and McNutt will receive the
      National Legion of Honor, Heroes Class, posthumously at the same

      "We recall today not only the justice in the face of tyranny," said
      del Rosario, "but just as importantly, the common humanity that we
      can share, even in the darkest of times."


      Unsung heroes receive their due 65 years later
      13 Feb. 2005 • Good news about Rescues, Heroes

      Former refugees want the world to know of the efforts by 4 brothers
      from Cincinnati in saving 1,200 Jews from the perils of Nazi tyranny.

      As the Nazis took power in Germany and the world turned its back on
      Jewish refugees, four American brothers who ran a cigar factory in
      the Philippines worked quietly to help 1,200 Jews flee to Manila.

      The Frieder brothers never talked about their part in the little-
      known rescue. But more than 65 years later, the remaining refugees
      want the world to know what Philip, Alex, Morris and Herbert Frieder

      "The Frieder brothers were just ordinary Jewish businessmen, but
      they went out of their way to save lives," said Frank Ephraim, who
      was 8 when his family fled to Manila from Germany in 1939. "No one
      made them do it. They just did what they thought was right."

      The four brothers from Cincinnati had taken turns going to Manila
      for two-year periods during the 1920s and '30s to run the Helena
      Cigar Factory, started by their father in 1918.

      While they were there, they established a Jewish Refugee Committee
      and worked with highly placed friends–U.S. High Commissioner of the
      Philippines Paul McNutt and Manuel Quezon, the first Philippine
      president–to help the mostly German and Austrian refugees get
      passports and visas, then find employment and homes in Manila.

      "We were welcomed in the Philippines at a time when the gates to
      Jews were closed all over the world," said former refugee Lotte
      Hershfield, 74, of West Hartford, Conn.

      A fifth brother remained in Ohio and was not involved in the rescue.
      All the brothers have died, but their family is grateful for the
      long-delayed recognition.

      "We are all so proud of them," said Morris Frieder's daughter, Jane
      Ellis, 77. "But we wish they could be here to enjoy this."

      The effort in behalf of the refugees was little known until a recent
      book by Ephraim, "Escape to Manila: From Nazi Tyranny to Japanese
      Terror," led to efforts in the United States and the Philippines to
      mark the humanitarian effort before the aging refugees die.

      "Our numbers are dwindling, and I didn't want this story to be lost
      forever," said Ephraim, 73, of Washington, D.C.

      On Sunday, Cincinnati's Center for Holocaust and Humanity Education
      will honor the Frieder brothers, Quezon, McNutt, also a former
      Indiana governor, and the Filipino people.

      At least 25 refugees and their descendants and nearly 100 members of
      the Frieder family planned to join relatives of McNutt and Quezon
      and the Philippine ambassador, Alberto Del Rosario.

      Documents show the four Frieders had hoped to bring as many as
      10,000 refugees to the Philippines, but World War II intervened.
      They continued working in Manila until the Japanese invasion in 1941.

      Alex Frieder's daughter, Alice Weston, now 78 and living in
      Cincinnati, said she remembers her father raising money and spending
      hours poring over lists of desperate refugee applicants in Manila.

      "Our children have asked why no one ever told them about this, but
      we were just kids then," she said. "After we came back to the United
      States, my father and uncles never talked about it. I think they
      just thought it was part of their duty, and they just went on with
      their lives."

      Now the brothers' photos, letters and other possessions, along with
      those of the refugees, will become part of a permanent exhibit in
      Cincinnati. Part of the exhibit might be taken to the U.S. Holocaust
      Memorial Museum in Washington, and to Manila.

      "We want to tell the world about the humanity of these men who did
      so much to save so many people and were never recognized," said
      Racelle Weiman, director of the Center for Holocaust and Humanity
      Education. "We hope it will make people realize that everyone can
      make a difference."

      Manuel Quezon III said he is proud of his grandfather's role in the
      rescue. "In a sense, as president, he was implementing a national
      policy of the heart," he said.

      A great nephew of McNutt didn't know about his role in the rescue
      but wasn't surprised.

      "Paul had the chance to do many different things and always chose
      public service," said John Krauss, director of the Indiana
      University Center for Urban Policy and the Environment.

      The brothers offered then-Col. Dwight Eisenhower a job in the rescue
      effort, but he decided to stay in the Army, becoming commander of
      Allied forces in Europe and then president, said granddaughter Susan
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.