[SCIENCE] A Conversation with David Wong

  • chiayuan25
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2005
      A CONVERSATION WITH DAVID WONG
      A Bloodless Revolution: Spit Will Tell What Ails You
      By CLAUDIA DREIFUS
      The New York Times
      Published: April 19, 2005

      BALTIMORE - Unlike the rest of us, David Wong enjoys talking about
      spit.

      He likes to speak of its texture, color, scent and sociology. Spend a
      few hours with him and one learns that saliva is the lubricant that
      makes food and language possible and that at certain Greek weddings,
      celebrants spit on the bride and groom for good luck.

      If Dr. Wong, 50, the associate dean for research at the U.C.L.A.
      School of Dentistry, is singular in his conversation, it is because
      he has seen the future, and it is spit.

      At his laboratory, Dr. Wong has been investigating the molecular
      content of saliva, with the hope of developing a whole new category
      of tests for diagnosing human diseases.

      "If you consider the eyes the window to the soul, then spit is a
      window to the body," he said during a break at a recent dentistry
      conference in Baltimore. "It is a part of circulation. It came from
      it. It doesn't have the color of blood, but it's less sticky. A
      saliva test will be totally noninvasive."

      Q. How did spit become your research topic?

      A. Three years ago, the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial
      Research put out a "request for applications," an R.F.A., which is a
      kind of money-carrot to researchers saying, "This is what we'd like
      to get done."

      In this case, this government agency offered $57 million dollars to
      scientists to build tools to detect the molecular components of
      saliva. A sample of saliva can have within it DNA, RNA, proteins,
      germs, viruses, fatty acids and a host of interesting molecules
      useful in disease detection. This R.F.A. was a sign that the
      government was putting serious effort behind developing a saliva-
      based diagnostic test for various diseases.

      I'm both a molecular biologist and a dentist. And dentists really
      know their spit: we work with it every day. So this seemed a natural
      for my lab. When the grants were finally announced, ours was one of
      nine laboratories around the country put to work on this project.

      Q. Why should we use spit for diagnoses? What's wrong with a blood
      test?

      A. It's invasive. You have to puncture veins to get it. And with
      needles, there's always the danger of secondary infections.

      With saliva, all a patient has to do is expectorate.

      Moreover, you can monitor saliva frequently so it's possible to
      follow real-time changes in the body. If you want to collect samples
      from a patient, you can take saliva 10 times a day. Can you imagine
      being needled 10 times a day? No, no, no! I really don't like giving
      blood. I have to prepare myself mentally for it.

      Q. Is this idea of saliva as a medical gauge a new idea?

      A. It's been around awhile. But I think it's going to happen now. The
      time is right. We've long known that whatever is in blood is also in
      saliva. It is, in fact, a reflection of our blood; it's a blood
      filtrate. So the content of saliva might include many molecules we
      can use in diagnosis.

      In fact, anything present in blood is also in spit - though in much
      smaller quantities. The problem was, We didn't have the means to
      detect most of it until recently. And knowing exactly what's in there
      is critical because we need to know if it changes when somebody is
      sick.

      Do the proteins in saliva change when someone becomes diabetic or
      develops a disease process like cancer? If so, we can use molecular
      profiles of "healthy spit" and "sick spit" to screen for disease.

      Now, the big change in saliva's possibilities came only three years
      ago, when engineers developed highly sensitive sensors that can
      detect molecules at minute levels. These non-electrical mechanical
      systems can locate one anthrax spore in a huge public space. And this
      same technology can detect obscure molecules in saliva.

      Q. To create a workable test, won't you need to do more than chart
      the molecular content of saliva?

      A. We need to know how salivary proteins change when someone is sick.
      At my lab, we are developing saliva "disease profiles" for breast
      cancer, oral cancer, diabetes 2, Sjogren's syndrome and ovarian
      cancer. If we can get a picture of what saliva looks like in these
      diseases and get to compare it to that of healthy people, we might
      have the basis of a test.

      Think about this scenario: Two years from now, when you go to a
      dentist, before they clean your teeth, they'll take a drop of saliva
      and put it into a little machine. At the end of the visit, you will
      get a printed chart that will tell if you're at risk for Disease A or
      Disease B and if you should have a follow-up with a medical doctor.
      The dentist in the very near future may become a triage doctor.
      That's going to change dentistry.

      Q. Dentists don't get much respect, do they?

      A. No. And they have a self-esteem problem. Dentists, generally,
      don't make the first call on a serious medical problem. If someone
      goes to the E.R. with a gunshot wound in the jaw, the doctors will
      call the dentist only later to fix up the mouth. This could reverse
      the process. And that's important because more people go more
      regularly to dentists than to other kinds of health care
      professionals.

      I really believe this test could change the mentality of dentistry as
      a profession.

      Q. You say this is only two years away. Why?

      A. We're close already. Saliva tests are in use right now for H.I.V.
      and substance abuse. At my lab, we have the concept for an oral
      cancer test ready. The prototype will be available in about a year.

      Our work on oral cancer helped us prove that there is RNA associated
      with diseases in saliva. This is a breakthrough, which started when
      Maie St. John, a U.C.L.A. resident in neck surgery who also works in
      my lab, looked at some earlier research I'd done.

      She saw that there were elevated levels of an RNA molecule in oral
      cancer cells. She then asked, "Does this oral cancer marker appear in
      saliva too?" We began looking, and wow, we found it! Four RNA markers
      were able to discriminate with 91 percent accuracy whether what we
      had was saliva for a normal person or an oral cancer patient.

      The next question was, Are there other RNA's in saliva? Amazingly, we
      found a world of RNA in there. We then asked if this RNA is
      associated with specific diseases. That's the $6 million question. So
      far, we've made a lot of progress on finding a breast cancer marker
      within saliva.

      Q. Do you own the patent on the saliva tests?

      A. U.C.L.A. will. Some part of it comes back to my academic
      department.

      Q. Let's face it, saliva is a body fluid with a lot of negative
      connotations. Will you need to do some public relations work before
      you market your test?

      A. I know what you're saying. If someone spits at you, it's not a
      good thing. Giving spit or spitting, it's thought of as unhealthy
      behavior. On the other hand, people share saliva when they are
      intimate. They don't have a problem with that.

      As a dentist, I've seen what happens to people who've lost their
      salivary glands because of cancer and who don't have spit. They can't
      speak or swallow. Saliva is a lubricant. Without it, the mouth is
      sandpaper. When you've seen what happens to these patients, you come
      to value what others consider an uncharismatic body fluid. I wish,
      someday, we could say that saliva is a charismatic fluid.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/19/science/19conv.html?
      ei=5070&en=8ec325c8d402c2a6&ex=1114660800&pagewanted=all&position=