[PROFILE] Kristin Kreuk - Actress on "Smallville"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2005
      Kristin Kreuk
      http://www.eurasiannation.com/generic119.html
      http://www.allstarz.org/~kristinkreuk/articles.htm

      Background:
      Chinese, Dutch

      Occupation:
      Actor

      Country:
      Canada

      Biography:
      Kristin was born on December 30, 1982 to a Dutch father, Peter, and
      Chinese mother, Deanna. She grew up in Vancouver, Canada.

      She was struggling with college applications when her high school
      drama teacher sent her out on her first audition. She landed the
      lead in a Fox Family Channel series called "Edgemont." Next came a
      role as Snow White in an ABC television movie.

      She became a household name when, on her first visit to Los Angeles,
      she landed the part of Lana Lang, Clark Kent's high school crush in
      the WB series "Smallville."

      Selected TV Appearances:
      Snow White (2002) - Snow White
      Smallville (2001-present) - Lana Lang
      Edgemont (2000-present) - Laurel Young

      ========

      The Clark & Lana Files
      by Gene Geter
      http://www.kryptonsite.com/lanafinale.htm

      The Vancouver-shot WB series, "Smallville" toyed with us all season
      with one questionwill Clark Kent and Lana Lang hook up? With fans
      itching for more, they might get their chance in this year's two-
      part season finale. The shows will air Tuesday, May 13 and Tuesday,
      May 20 at 9 p.m./ET on the WB.

      But before the Vancouver-born-and-raised Kristin Kreuk reveals
      whether that's a rumor or not, what is it about "Smallville" that
      keeps audiences glued to their television every week? "I think that
      the show appeals to so many different types of people," she
      explains. "There are various elements to it. Heart and soul.
      Romance. The show deals with family relationships that appeals to
      all different ages and races."

      On the show, Lana lost her parents, her boyfriend, her horse almost
      and her childhood friend. Why does this keep happening to her? "A
      lot of it is just bad luck on her part," says the 20-year-old, who
      now owns a condo. "I feel so terribly for her. The poor girl. She
      tries desperately hard to stop that from happening, but it doesn't
      seem to stop at all. She's going to have to grow a lot."

      It does show that Lana is strong. "Most people would have just
      broken down," she says. "And she does that every once in a while,
      but she tries not to. She's lucky that she has people like Clark
      (Tom Welling) to help her carry that burden."

      Lana must be stupid. She has to know Clark is an alien. "Lana is
      suspicious about him," she reveals. "She isn't like Chloe Sullivan
      in the sense that she doesn't think about all the weird stuff things
      that go on in 'Smallville.' Lana wouldn't question whether or not he
      was human. I think she just sees him as a sexy guy."

      Will she learn of Clark's secret in the future? "Anything is a
      possibility," she says. "He does have a heavy secret he can't share
      with her. I don't know what the writers plans are for that, but
      maybe a couple of seasons down the line, she'll learn."

      People think Lana and Kreuk are major babes. She laughs. "Well, I
      don't know. I can't think about it. It's flattery, I guess." She
      laughs more.

      In cyber world, "Smallville" fan sites are buzzing even more lately
      on the message boards with rumors and spoilers. Kreuk talks about
      show feedback. "I don't have the internet right now. I moved out
      recently and I don't have it up and running yet. I don't have cable
      either. So I'm kind of disconnected from the world. It's kind of
      nice not to get feedback. It's important to get feedback, but it
      should be from people you know and respect. People that care about
      you." The show struggled in its first season, but now, it's the WB's
      top-rated show.

      Check this out. She digs hip hop music. "I'm into all types of music
      actually," she admits. "I go through phases, but I do enjoy The
      Roots and A Tribe Called Quest. My music collection is very
      eclectic."

      Born to a Chinese mother and a Dutch father, Kreuk went to college
      for forensic pathology. What? Why forensic pathology? "I wanted to
      be a forensic scientist," she laughs. "I was interested in the
      problem solving aspect to it. That you could go to a crime scene and
      find out how someone got into a house. Or how someone was killed. I
      thought it was an interesting field and I still do." Imagine Kreuk a
      forensic scientist.

      In her final year, her drama teacher told her to audition for Fox
      channel's "Edgemont" in which she garnered the role of Laurel Yeung,
      a Chinese Canadian high school student. Then, she
      landed "Smallville" and a fresh new look at Snow White in the ABC's
      television movie.

      The beauty with dimples and a simple smile charms magazine covers
      worldwide. She's also in the Neutrogena club with notable veterans,
      Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jennifer Love Hewitt. Kreuk feels
      commercials are a very different world. "There are long days of
      feeling really giddy and hyper. They splash your face or something
      and the water has to go in the right direction. I'm really bad at
      it."

      What does the future hold for Kreuk? Professionally, she sees
      herself growing and doing more work she's proud of. "Most actors
      are, but I'm overly critical. Normally, I'm not that happy with the
      work that I've done. There's this actor part of me that knows I can
      do a great job." She plans to travel more and visit New York in the
      near future.

      Now the question we've all been waiting for. Kreuk laughs. Will
      Clark and Lana hook up? "It's been two years of will they? Won't
      they? Will they? Won't they? It must be a strain. The
      show, 'Accelerate' really showed Lana as a character so her and
      Clark are in a position where there's really nothing holding them
      back anymore." What would Lois Lane say about this?

      She won't say much about the finale except "Clark changes each
      characters' lives."

      Most of us know that young Superman, Tom Welling is married in real
      life. So what if he wasn't? Would Kristin date Tom if he was
      interested? This is just a question to ponder among us.

      ======

      Kristin Kreuk: Next Asian American Beauty?
      http://goldsea.com/Air/Issues/Kristin/kristin.html

      It isn't a question of droolworthiness. Her looks are dazzling
      enough to have locked up a lead role in each of her first three
      auditions, including the title role in an upcoming TV movie. It's
      more a question of whether most of us would identify hazel-eyed
      Smallville heartthrob Lana Lang as a fellow Asian.

      Kristin Laura Kreuk was born to a Chinese mother and a Dutch
      father on December 30, 1982. She grew up in Vancouver, Canada.
      Kreuk, 5-4, had decided to go to college to study forensic pathology
      until, in her senior year, her drama teacher suggested she go to an
      audition for a new Fox Family series called Edgement. She was
      promptly plucked out of the open audition to play a Chinese Canadian
      high school student named Laurel Yeung. Even as she won fans in the
      role, she landed the Lana Lang role for WB's dramatization of
      Superboy's life as Clark Kent, then the role of Snow White in the
      ABC TV movie set for release in 2002. Kreuk's star-quality was
      obvious to all who tuned in for Smallville's premiere last October.
      Some even proclaimed her the show's main attraction.

      But many Asian American viewers didn't even suspect Kreuk's
      Asian ancestry. Even those who learned of her mother's nationality
      questioned whether she can be claimed by Asian Americans. Without an
      Asian surname or obvious Asian facial features, they argue, Kreuk's
      success would do nothing for the image of Asians in the American
      media. Others might argue that most African American stars are, in
      fact, only fractionally of African descent.

      Should we claim Kristin Kreuk and other hapas like her as Asian
      American celebrities? Or should that designation be reserved for
      those with a more obviously Asian identity?

      ========

      kristin KREUK
      'I am a shy person.'
      http://www.thewb.com/Faces/Interview/0,8114,22187,00.html

      Growing up in Canada, the last thing Kristin Kreuk expected to
      become was famous. With a starring role on the new WB show
      Smallville, all of that is about to change. Here, Kristin dishes
      about what it feels like to be the new girl in town.
      The WB: Give us the scoop on Smallville...
      Kristin: Well, the story is inspired by Superman, but it's about
      Clark Kent and what it's like for him growing up in this small town
      and what happens to him when he starts to discover he has certain
      powers.

      The WB: And you're the lucky girl he chooses as his love interest?
      Kristin: In a way. Clark really likes Lana (my character) but
      they've never really had a chance to get to know one another, until
      now.

      The WB: What's Lana like?
      Kristin: When the show starts off, Lana is the popular girl at
      school. She's smart and she's the cheerleader type. But, there's a
      lot more to her than that. She lost her parents when she was really
      young so there's a lot of loneliness to deal with too.

      The WB: How does it feel to have your first really big acting job?
      Kristin: I can't believe how lucky I am to have this opportunity.
      I'm just so happy. I also think I'm still in shock. This whole thing
      kind of fell into my lap.

      The WB: So you're not the type who was born wanting to be an actress?
      Kristin: I grew up in Canada and I took theater classes through out
      high school. I enjoyed it, but my real plan was to attend
      University.

      The WB: Were you discovered by accident?
      Kristin: Kind of. One day some producers called my school. They were
      looking to cast a teen soap and my teacher suggested I go to the
      audition. I wound up getting the part and everything has just fallen
      in to place since then.

      The WB: Does that mean you're putting college on hold?
      Kristin: For the time being yes. When I first started doing
      professional acting I really didn't think I had the talent for it. I
      was planning on using the money I made from the soap to pay for
      school.

      The WB: What were you planning to study?
      Kristin: I wanted to be a forensic scientist for a long time. I
      thought it was the most interesting thing ever in the 6th and 7th
      grade - just to be able to try and figure out how a crime happened.
      It's like putting the pieces of a puzzle together. Solving mysteries
      seemed like it would be fun, scary and exciting all at the same
      time.

      The WB: And now?
      Kristin: Obviously forensics will have to wait. I love this job. I
      am working with the most talented group of people and I'm doing
      things I never thought were possible. It's also scary because I am a
      shy person and now all of a sudden I'm in this totally new place.
      I'm not that great at meeting new people and having to, well, talk.
      I'm not good at small talk, conversations with strangers. The most
      amazing thing is that I never thought I could do this as a career
      and here I am. So for now I'm just going to ride it out. When the
      train stops... I'll get off and go to university.

      =======

      INTERVIEW
      http://www.allstarz.org/~kristinkreuk/articles33.htm

      Kristin Kreuk is best known for her role of Lana Lang, the love
      interest of Clark Kent, on the WB's Smallville. She also had a
      memorable scene with Matt Damon in Eurotrip. Kristin's latest
      project is the SCI Fi Channel's Legend of Earthsea, in which she
      plays the priestess, Tenar.

      UGO: How did you prepare for this role?

      KRISTIN KREUK: It was actually pretty simple and fun. The books are
      fantastic. I never got a chance to read them all, but my sister
      adores them. So I just took the script and developed her from there.
      It was a lot of fun. I've heard that Tenar is very, very different
      in the books. I might be wrong in all this, but I've heard that she
      was darker and more self-centered in a lot of ways, but she didn't
      seem that way in this story at all. I think developing an inner life
      for a character is obviously the most important thing because,
      without that, your character is shallow and empty. Tenar, being an
      orphan, has clung to this faith, and that's what she believes in.
      I'm pretty sure that she's never left this island. She's been stuck
      in this little temple. All she's thought about was keeping Earthsea
      safe and making sure that these Nameless Ones are never released.
      That is her goal. Then, she has these visions about this boy who is
      doing evil, or what she sees as evil, but she also feels that he is
      good. I think that she has that struggle inside her throughout a lot
      of the story, and finally it comes to a point where she can accept
      that there is something else besides faith, and that both faith and
      magic can exist in the same world. I think, in the end, it's about
      yin and yang, man and woman, magic and faith, good and evil, all of
      that coming together to form a whole that in the end saves the
      world.

      UGO: Are you into science fiction and fantasy?

      KRISTIN: My sister was actually more of the sci-fi/fantasy person. I
      wasn't into it as much, although I think it allows you to tell
      really great family stories and go into your childhood and access
      your imagination. That's what's really great about sci-fi/fantasy.

      UGO: Some people might be surprised you're doing Earthsea because
      they'd expect you to do anything but a genre project during your
      hiatus from Smallville. What made you say yes?

      KRISTIN: Well, it is a question of what was available. It being shot
      at home in Vancouver was a part of it. But the cast that they had
      assembled was unreal. You had Danny Glover, Isabella Rossellini and
      Shawn Ashmore all signed up, and they offered me this role. It was
      really easy to say yes to it.

      UGO: Did the production overlap with Smallville?

      KRISTIN: It overlapped a little bit. I had a couple of months off,
      actually, to do whatever I wanted. I shot [Earthsea] in June, and I
      started Smallville in July, so it overlapped for a couple of weeks.
      I don't work every day on Smallville, so it's easy to schedule
      another thing.

      "We've got the horrible guest star list and the wonderful guest star
      list, so Shawn is definitely one of Smallville's favorite guest
      stars."

      UGO: What intrigued you about Tenar?

      KRISTIN: Her character arc is actually kind of interesting in that
      she starts out a young girl who's learning the ways of a priestess.
      She's been an orphan, and she's learning from Isabella's character
      of Thar. Tenar is going to be the next high priestess and has to
      rise to the occasion, especially once Thar dies. With Ged, Shawn's
      character, she has to take control and save Earthsea.

      UGO: Are you able at all to relate that to your own real life?

      KRISTIN: I think that with everything that's sci-fi and fantasy, the
      characters are still very much based in reality. I think the
      situations that the characters go through are heightened reality.
      The things that we go through as we grow up in our lives, trying to
      find a way to separate good from evil, aren't as black and white,
      but I think sci-fi and fantasy add other elements to symbolize or
      heighten those realities.

      "It was funny because I live in Vancouver, and we shot in Vancouver.
      It was just on Marine Drive and at this old warehouse that they keep
      cars in."

      UGO: What was it like being on those huge Earthsea sets?

      KRISTIN: Being on the set was pretty incredible because they were
      amazing sets, really well done, down to the littlest details, the
      paint, the wood and the way it's been carved. It was just beautiful.
      It was funny because I live in Vancouver, and we shot in Vancouver.
      It was just on Marine Drive and at this old warehouse that they keep
      cars in. They created this great world, and I think being a part of
      something so epic [was exciting].

      UGO: You've got comic book writers working on Smallville like Mark
      Verheiden and Jeph Loeb. Do you have much contact with them?

      KRISTIN: The thing with Smallville that kind of sucks is that we
      shoot in Vancouver and everyone else is in LA. So we see the
      producers, Al [Gough] and Miles [Millar], maybe like twice a year.
      We never see the writers unless we're in LA, stopping by and
      going, "Hey, everyone!" So there's a lack of that kind of direct
      communication on a regular basis. So it's kind of like this weird,
      other world that we live in, where we create the series and then the
      people that are doing the writing and making a lot of the decisions
      are in a completely different location. So it's kind of a strange
      feeling.

      UGO: Do you keep up with the Superman comics at all?

      KRISTIN: No, not really. I think the comic world seems to be pretty
      separate from the TV world.

      UGO: Smallville seems to be an entirely different show this year,
      and Lana seems to be an entirely different character. Would you
      agree?

      KRISTIN: It's entirely different. That's actually quite fun for me.
      I enjoy changing it up. The show has evolved a lot. They were going
      darker last year, which I actually thought was quite interesting,
      going more adult and a little darker. But it wasn't appealing to the
      same audience anymore. So they brought it back to being more youth-
      oriented and there's more sex, but I think the storylines are
      starting to shift again. There were a lot of shuffles in the WB
      itself this year, so powers were kind of shifting and I think the
      direction of the show got kind of confused. But now it's coming
      together, and all these really great storylines that we have are
      being fleshed out a little more.

      UGO: Such as?

      KRISTIN: I'm just going to be selfish about this because I really
      only know where I'm going, mostly. But we've got the storyline with
      Lana's tattoo. Jane Seymour has come onto the show to play Jason's
      [Jensen Teague] mother. Jason is Lana's boyfriend right at this
      moment. Jane's character is quite evil and complex, and Lana has
      dreamt of her in her past, from when she was a witch. It's all
      convoluted, but they're going to flesh out that storyline and see
      how it connects to the mythology and to Superman and to these
      crystals. That will eventually lead to... well, that's the secret.

      UGO: Are you pleased to see Lana with someone other than Clark?

      KRISTIN: I have had so much fun. Jensen is wonderful. It's changed
      now, but at the beginning of the season, it was great just to be
      able to have fun, to be in your character and laugh and to enjoy
      another person. It was so lovely because in all of our other
      seasons, even with Clark, I don't think Lana and Clark have ever
      really laughed together. They've had this intense, serious
      relationship, and to have another level added is just so wonderful.

      UGO: How did you get involved in Eurotrip?

      KRISTIN: Eurotrip was just a two-second part with Matt Damon. All I
      did was dance. I went out to Prague. I shot for two days, and I was
      there for eight or ten more, just putzing around the city and
      enjoying myself. Eurotrip was fun.

      UGO: Any chance we'll see you in the Superman film?

      KRISTIN: I'm not thinking so. I have no idea what's going on with
      that, except that Shawn's involved, which is wonderful for him. I
      think it'll be a great, great thing. Other than that, I don't think
      so.

      UGO: We wait and wait to see you together with Shawn in Earthsea,
      then it happens near the end. How was that moment to film?

      KRISTIN: We shot that scene first, I think. The stuff in our little
      cells was all shot first. So it wasn't like we had to build up to
      that. It was really great working with him. He is such a wonderful
      person and such a great guy, and he's a very good actor.

      UGO: You two didn't work together at all when he guest starred on
      Smallville, but did you at least meet on the set?

      KRISTIN: I don't even know if we actually, officially met. I know
      that I saw him around, but we never worked together. Our storylines
      were about that far apart. They were hugely separately. So many
      guest stars come through on Smallville. We've got the horrible guest
      star list and the wonderful guest star list, so Shawn is definitely
      one of Smallville's favorite guest stars. Everyone loves him.

      "Vancouver is like a little bubble-land for me. It's really great,
      especially since I was born there, raised there, my friends are
      there and I've never really left there."

      UGO: Who is on the horrible guest star list?

      KRISTIN: [Laughs] Oh, we'll keep that a secret.

      UGO: What was it like working with Isabella Rossellini?

      KRISTIN: Oh God, she's so wonderful. The woman is a legend. You go
      and talk to her and she is real, grounded and funny. She's so good
      at what she does. You go on set, and she's constantly trying to make
      things better and more interesting. She's definitely someone I look
      up to in a lot of ways as a professional and as a person.

      UGO: Do you want to do more movies?

      KRISTIN: I would love to work on a feature, be it a big one or a
      small one, just to be able to try something different. I've really
      only, in the end, done Smallville for most of my career. It's been
      Smallville, Edgemont and a couple of series, and you kind of fall
      into this rhythm. I want to be able to do something that's smaller,
      that's a little more compressed, where you have a character from
      beginning to end. I want to be able to do that.

      "I've just started to get DVDs. I wasn't really into it for a long
      time."

      UGO: Do you ever check out your fan websites?

      KRISTIN: From time to time, but it's kind of difficult to do that
      sometimes. As nice as people, are they can be just as mean. You have
      to be able to separate yourself from all of that and not let it
      affect you. It's kind of hard for somebody to hear all that because
      you're still a real person and it affects you.

      UGO: How about the whole sex symbol aspect?

      KRISTIN: I kind of ignore it. I kind of don't pay attention to it.
      It's not me. That's that person and I'm this person.

      UGO: Being in Vancouver, do you feel separated from the whole LA
      scene?

      KRISTIN: Vancouver is like a little bubble-land for me. It's really
      great, especially since I was born there, raised there, my friends
      are there and I've never really left there. I have my house and my
      family. I think I've been to two premieres in my career, and I
      haven't been to any Hollywood parties. I think New York is very
      different from LA, so they're not really comparable at all. But
      being in Vancouver definitely has a way of keeping you grounded.

      UGO: At a certain point on a show, an actor becomes a caretaker for
      his or her character, where you can say, "My character wouldn't do
      this or that." Are you at that stage yet with Lana?

      KRISTIN: I think yes, in some ways that's very much true. I think
      that depends upon each individual actor. I, as a person, am not as
      assertive, not as confident in what I do as some other people are.
      So sometimes it's harder for me to do that personally. But
      especially once you get to a point where you have created this
      character and things are written, you can go, "That is so opposite
      of what my character would do." It's kind of your responsibility in
      most ways to keep continuity right and to keep the integrity of your
      character. So I think there does come a point when your voice is
      heard more than that it was in the beginning, but you still have to
      kind of fight. The people who write our show are the creators of our
      show, so they also know a lot about your character, because they
      created them all. So it's this balance between the two.

      UGO: What superpower would you like to have?

      KRISTIN: I honestly would just love to fly. I really, really would.
      I've wanted to since I was a kid.

      UGO: What are your favorite DVDs in your collection?

      KRISTIN: Wow. I've just started to get DVDs. I wasn't really into it
      for a long time. But I have to say that my Princess Bride DVD is
      really wonderful, and I've got Amelie, which is another one of my
      favorites. Also, Being John Malkovich is another.

      =======

      INTERVIEW:
      http://www.allstarz.org/~kristinkreuk/articles32.htm

      KK: "She's (Lana) really great this year. She's not like she was
      before -- it's a drastic change. I'm really excited about playing
      her. I always have been but this year she has a new direction in her
      life. She's a more mature woman, and it's fun to play her."

      Kreuk thinks that part of the attraction of Jason is that "he's
      funny and warm. He makes Lana laugh, and they enjoy each other's
      company." It's certainly far more of a traditional "teen"
      relationship than Lana had with Clark, who, even when he knew that
      he was about to lose her when she went to France, did not share his
      secrets. "It's not as complicated a relationship with Jason. He's
      not as intense or as burdened by his destiny as Clark is. She and
      Jason have a lot of fun with each other, and she finds him really
      great company."

      Although she regularly points out that she doesn't know what the
      producers and writers have in mind, Kreuk thinks that Clark will
      always be someone special to Lana, "but I don't think they'll get
      back into a relationship. I think the time for that has passed."
      After all, Lana does have other things on her mind. "She's more
      concerned about this mysterious tattoo that she's got on her back,
      and that's why she's come back to Smallville!" she points out.

      After three years where Lana was on the periphery of the 'arc'
      portions of the Smallville stories, this season the investigations
      she starts making into her tattoo put her right in the middle of the
      ongoing portion of the story. "I haven't been asking the producers
      for that," Kreuk admits, "but I think it will be really great this
      season for me to be involved. I haven't yet had a chance to be in
      the arc over the past three years, and I think it will be a lot of
      fun. Lets see what happens when Lana's involved in the grander
      scheme of things!"

      Kreuk is looking forward to the opportunity to see Lana "trying to
      figure everything out, and explore these new sides of herself. She's
      been defined by her relationships [with Clark, Whitney and Adam
      Knight] before," Kreuk explains, "but she's growing as an individual
      now. I hope this season she will be able to continue to grow and be
      seen as an individual, and that people don't just define her by how
      she is with Clark."

      Kreuk is delighted by the changes, because they alter the dynamic
      for her as an actor, and give her far more to play with. "It gives
      me the opportunity to have her be her own self," she
      emphasizes. "She can be thinking about things other than how she is
      with Clark, how she wants to make Clark happy, how can she be there
      for him? How can she work with him? Her outlook is much greater than
      that now."

      Kreuk laughs out loud at the idea that she might know what the
      future holds for Lana with regard to Clark's Kryptonian heritage. "I
      have absolutely NO idea if Lana will learn the secret at all or
      not," she admits. "I just don't know -- I think that depending on
      what she learns during her investigations, she may know by the end
      of the year."

      In the comic books, Clark does share his secret with Lana
      eventually, and given her increased maturity this year, maybe it
      might now be appropriate for Smallville's Lana to learn the
      secret. "I think that as the season goes on, she's going to find out
      stuff about Clark," Kreuk agrees. "And I think that she's far more
      likely to be able to accept it, and deal with it as she is now,
      rather than as she was last year, where she was totally oblivious to
      any odd goings-on, except for in Smallville, where there were odd
      whackos who attacked her and tried to kill her. I think with that
      extra awareness, that would make her much more understanding and
      focused."

      Kreuk also laughs at the idea that there might be some follow up to
      the embrace shared by Lex and Lana at the airport during "Covenant".
      She agrees that the relationship between the two is complicated,
      partly because Lana doesn't always necessarily understand Lex's
      motivations. "She really does care about him a lot," she points
      out. "I think as things have gone along, there's been a bit of a
      sexual chemistry between them, but I don't think we're going to see
      that actualized in any way this season -- although you never know!"

      One of the big shakeups this year has been the introduction of Erica
      Durance as Clark's future wife, Lois Lane. Although there is
      obviously the potential for conflict between the past and future
      loves of Clark's life, Kreuk notes that at the moment, "I don't
      think she really cares that much about Lois. They get along -- they
      accept each other. But Lana's not really in scenes with her that
      often -- she's not really involved that much with the high school
      stuff this year."

      With everything for the new season buzzing around in her head,
      understandably the events of the third season are becoming ancient
      history to Kreuk. But the one episode that springs to mind when she
      thinks of hightlights was "Relic," in which she had the chance to
      play not just Lana in the 21st century, but step back 40 years, don
      a wig and makeup, and bring a very different character back to
      life. "Relic was a lot of fun for me to do last year," she
      recalls. "I had a great time -- it's always fun to get to play a
      different character. Louise was awesome -- totally different and
      rebellious. She was unabashedly after success, stardom and fame.
      It's always fun to work on a sci-fi show because I like the
      opportunity in episodes to play other characters. Hopefully, I'll
      get a chance to play other characters again this season."

      Hope you guys enjoyed reading these excerpts. The most exciting part
      for me is that Kristin thinks Lana may know Clark's secret by the
      end of this season!

      ==========

      INTERVIEW:
      http://www.allstarz.org/~kristinkreuk/articles29.htm

      Playing Lana Lang in Smallville, Kristin Kreuk gets into her fair-
      share of scrapes. But, if Clark ever failed to show, kick-boxing
      Kristin tells MKP she'd have no trouble holding her own

      What attracted you to the part of Lana?

      Actually I didn't particularly love the character at first. She was
      the cheerleader and popular - she just didn't have that much. But
      after reading the script and finding out more about her, she was
      also someone who had overcome so much. She was strong, she didn't
      put up with bulls**t, and that really came through. In our second
      episode `Metamorphosis,' when she had her first scene with Lex
      Luthor, she was so feisty. Over time those things have blossomed and
      grown. She's not your typical cheerleader girl - she quit that
      because she wanted to be something else. She has a business (the
      coffee shop) and she's strong.

      Your character seems to do a lot of butt-kicking. Do you do your own
      stunts?

      I do most of my own stuff. But there's a scene in `Delete,' which is
      with Chloe (Allison Mack). It's this huge, big action sequence so my
      stunt double Kim did it. She's really great, a really good martial
      artist.

      What sort of training do you have to do?

      Not a heck of a lot because it's pretty simple, basic stuff that
      they just cut together. It's all a flash of the foot, a head
      whipping here and there! So it doesn't have to look excellent from a
      distance. I've got a dance background and a gymnastics background
      and I've done a bit of karate. But because Tom (Welling) and Allison
      (Mack) both train with this great kickboxer I started going. I used
      to just go to the gym and bike and do my own thing because before I
      couldn't bring myself to have a personal trainer. But I'm starting
      to dance again - jazz and hip hop - so I do that to keep fit too.

      How much has your life changed both personally and professionally
      since working on this show for the last three years?

      I've changed in certain ways as a person. I've been a lot more open
      and secure and safe within myself but my life hasn't changed that
      much. I love Vancouver where we film - it's where I grew up - so
      luckily I feel at home. I have friends from my childhood and I've
      made new ones. Professionally, I've got a lot of doors open to me
      that I would never have had before. Everything's good.

      Do you feel the same pressures that a lot of young actresses feel in
      Hollywood - having to go to the right parties, be seen by the right
      people?

      No, I don't feel like I'm one of them. I'm really happy that I'm not
      expected to do that because I'm bad at it, really horrible at it.
      Like being in schmoozey situations and having to pretend to be a
      glamorous person. It's really good to be in Vancouver where I can
      just be real and be myself and not have to pretend.

      Both your parents are landscape architects, were they happy for you
      to pursue the showbiz route?

      Yeah, my family is very academic, so acting wasn't really ever
      something that they pushed me to do. My mom wanted me to dance but
      really it was all about getting a good job, a good education, making
      enough money to get a degree and go to university. But they were
      wonderful and supportive of me even when I decided I was going to do
      this. They would have been happy no matter what I was doing, as long
      as I was happy.

      How has the show affected your private life?

      I work less than I play so I have a lot of free time - I have more
      of a life than I do a job, which is wonderful. But my private life
      is so simple - just reading and talking, watching movies, walking
      and drinking coffee. That's my life.

      You got up close and personal with Matt Damon for your role in
      Eurotrip. How was that?

      Fun. He lipsank and I danced and we made out. That was it. We had to
      do a fair amount of takes but it was just great. Luckily I didn't
      get nervous, I'm pretty good at distancing myself. He was really
      sweet: a really smart, funny guy.

      What does the future hold?

      I don't know what's going to happen when the show's over. I have no
      burning ambitions toward anything except for finding new experiences
      in my life and becoming a whole, full person that I really like to
      be with. Because in the end, you're with yourself the most! My
      ambitions really lie in travelling and seeing the world. And writing
      a good story one day!

      =

      French teens keen on Kristin Kreuk
      The star of Smallville is much better known to young French viewers
      as Laurel Yeung on the Vancouver-shot Edgemont
      Lynne McNamara
      Vancouver Sun
      http://www.allstarz.org/~kristinkreuk/articles26.htm

      Kristin Kreuk may be a big star in North America with her role as
      Clark Kent's gal pal, Lana Lang, in the WB's hit Smallville, but in
      France, she's revered as Laurel Yeung on the Vancouver-shot teen
      soap Edgemont.

      In fact, 51 per cent of 18-to-24-year-olds in that country are
      hooked (it beats Friends in the ratings) and spend copious hours on-
      line speculating about the the lives and loves of Edgemont's
      characters.

      Edgemont is where it all started for Kreuk -- in the bowels of the
      cavernous CBC studios in downtown Vancouver -- after she was chosen
      from scores of teen girls recruited from local high schools by the
      show's producers.

      Now, five years later, Kreuk, 21, has been doing double duty in the
      cast of Smallville for its first three seasons (with at least four
      more to go).

      But now Edgemont, in spite of success in Europe, half a million
      viewers in English-speaking Canada and about to go on the air in
      Quebec, is wrapping for good.

      Just before the holidays last month, I met up with Kreuk in the
      labyrinthine halls of the CBC as she shot her final scenes for the
      show.

      She ushered me in to her dressing room (which, coincidentally, was
      my dressing room in another era, when Terry David Mulligan and I
      were hosts of a CBC TV nostalgia series; but that's another story)
      to talk about her life, so far.

      No wonder she's a Neutrogena girl -- what a complexion, what
      gorgeous eyes, a pleasing combination of her heritage (a Chinese
      mother and Dutch father, both local landscape architects).

      Kreuk cringes, recalling the Edgemont tryout.

      Producers had called several Vancouver high schools looking for
      talented teens and although Kreuk had spent some time at Vancouver
      Youth Theatre and Arts Umbrella and had done some musical theatre in
      high school, it was her first formal audition.

      "Ooh," she sighs at the memory, "I remember going for the audition
      and I didn't tell very many people about it because I was like, 'I'm
      not going to get it.' So, I went to the bathroom to change 'cause I
      thought I should wear something nice to an audition, even though I
      had no nice clothes, because I'm me and I don't -- or I didn't -- I
      do now," she chuckles. "And my friend came in and she was
      like, 'What are you doing, where are you going?', and I'm like, 'Un-
      oh. I'm going to an audition.' "

      Amazingly, Kreuk doesn't actually remember hearing that she had the
      part.

      "That's really funny, you'd think I would. I remember everything
      around it, but I don't remember that moment."

      But she does recall meeting with executive Michael Chechik and
      talking about the show.

      "And I was like, 'Oh my god, this is so weird,' " she says, her
      voice rising. "I didn't know what I was doing."

      "My very first interview, sitting down and doing it, and I didn't
      know what the hell was going on. Oh, and I was so, so closed off.
      And I didn't talk to anybody and I was so scared," she
      whispers, "and just over these past five years, I've found a way to
      do this, and I'm hopefully a better actor than I used to be. It's
      crazy. It blows me away."

      Shooting starring roles in two shows at the same time could lead to
      major fatigue but, luckily, while Smallville shoots weekdays from
      mid-July to mid-April, Kreuk is able to film her role on Edgemont in
      six 12-hour days (Sundays) each fall.

      "You're out by 7:30 and you still have an evening," she says
      cheerfully. "But you're working on the other show, and you just get
      really tired."

      So, I tease, is she sad, or secretly relieved to be wrapping this
      role?

      A deep laugh follows.

      "I'm ready to move on, but I'm kind of torn. I love this character,
      and I think that's where a lot of it comes from. I like her a lot --
      she's been psychotic this year!"

      And French teens are eating up the angst.

      "I was in Monaco doing publicity at the television festival for
      Smallville and everyone asked me about Edgemont, as well," Kruek
      said. "It's just as big as a lot of the shows out there. It's pretty
      amazing. I was totally shocked. I'm like, 'Wow!' "

      In Europe people care a lot more about the characters, she says.

      "It's really interesting to see. I think in North America we're a
      lot more about, 'Blow things up!' " she hoots, smacking her fists
      together.

      Originally, because of her Edgemont contract, it was doubtful that
      she'd be able to take on the Smallville role.

      "And then it all worked out. Thank goodness. That would have changed
      my life," she laughs.

      No kidding.

      "I've changed so much," she shrugs, adding, "It's not that I've
      changed necessarily, but I've found parts of myself that I didn't
      really know were there. And the first year, when I think back, I'm
      like 'Holy ----!' "

      Often, finding the kind of professional and financial success that
      Kreuk has experienced so early in life can be damaging.

      "You have to keep grounded, and I think the fact that I'm in
      Vancouver makes a huge difference. And I have great friends and a
      great family. And I'm not surrounded by the business. That makes all
      the difference in the world, 'cause it's so easy to get caught up in
      it. If you were living in L.A., it'd be like 'Bull----, bull----,
      bull---- ... you're this, you're that, you're wonderful, get caught
      up in this tornado, get caught up, get caught up, get caught up,"
      she chimes. "And the minute it's all gone, you fall and you've got
      no one to catch you because you let yourself get swept away, when
      it's all 'Pouff!' " she throws up her hands, "and it's all made up
      and none of it's grounded or real."

      Even in her short time in showbiz, Kreuk has seen the dark side of
      it.

      "Kind of sad, in this business, when you think you have to not trust
      anybody. You go into it, you meet people, and you can't trust them
      until they prove themselves to you.

      "And as long as you accept that ... The minute you're not hot
      anymore, people are just going to go, 'Okay, bye!', and if you're
      not ready for that, then you're going to get hurt and screwed up."

      (Gary Coleman, Corey Feldman, Todd Bridges, are you listening?)

      "Because you don't know who you are at 16 or 17. You still don't
      know who you are at 20 years old," she giggles. (Her birthday,
      another thing we share, is a few days later.)

      In spite of stardom, Kreuk says, her personal life is pretty much
      the same as it was. She still sees old friends from school, and
      others she connected with in gymnastics.

      "I've made some new friends that are actors, but not very many. I
      try to keep my world as stable as I can. My friends are awesome --
      they've done amazing things with their lives and they've come so far
      and I'm so proud of them. And I can live through them," she jokes.

      "I hear their stories and people are off in India, travelling, going
      on spiritual journeys and people are working at the UN and I have
      another friend who's gone to college. It's just so cool to watch
      these people, so cool to watch these people grow.

      "I look at my life sometimes and go, 'I live such a strange, odd,
      LIFE!,' " she says, doubling over in laughter.