[SPORTS] Size 7 Sneakers Are Still Hard to Fill

  • chiayuan25
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2005
      Size 7 Sneakers Are Still Hard to Fill
      By LIZ ROBBINS
      The New York Times
      Published: January 5, 2005

      More than a half-century after Wataru Misaka became the first
      Japanese-American to play professional basketball at the highest
      level in the United States, he remains a gentle reminder of the
      sport's first steps toward diversity.

      Misaka's brief career in New York is now a faded souvenir, resting in
      the soles of his size 7 Converse hightops. The Knicks let him keep
      the shoes after Ned Irish, the team's owner, cut Misaka, a 5-foot-7
      point guard, after three regular-season games in 1947.

      Although he was a pioneer in the Basketball Association of America,
      which became the National Basketball Association in 1949 (a year
      before the league admitted its first black player), Misaka recalls
      his stint as nothing more and nothing less than an athletic
      opportunity.

      "I felt about the same with our team as I had all the other teams I
      played with," Misaka said about the Knicks in a recent telephone
      interview from Salt Lake City. "I never know that I'm different. I
      only see what I see, and everybody else I see looks alike."

      After he was waived by the Knicks, who had drafted him out of the
      University of Utah, Misaka gathered his belongings from the Belvedere
      Hotel, took a train that stopped in Chicago, turned down an informal
      invitation to play for the Harlem Globetrotters and continued on to
      Utah, where he finished earning a degree in mechanical engineering.

      On Dec. 21, Misaka celebrated his 81st birthday. He was disappointed
      to hear that the Phoenix Suns had cut Yuta Tabuse, a 5-7 point guard,
      who was the N.B.A.'s first Japanese-born player, because Misaka had
      been hoping to meet Tabuse this month when the Suns play the Jazz in
      Utah.

      Last week Portland signed its second-round pick, 19-year-old Ha Seung
      Jin, a 7-3 center, who is the first Korean-born player to be drafted
      by an N.B.A. team. Of course, Yao Ming's success in the league has
      spawned a new international following and highlighted the growing
      international talent pool in basketball.

      Misaka appreciates his role as a pioneer, but does not overplay it.
      Growing up in Ogden, Utah, playing basketball or serving in the
      United States Army in Japan after World War II, Misaka has always
      seemed to be on the outside looking in.

      He said he has no regrets or resentments, and he is wistful about his
      brief stint with the Knicks.

      "I just kind of smile," said Misaka, who is known as Wat. "Before I
      went, I said: 'I don't know what's going to come of it, but if I
      don't go, I'll always wonder. I've always got my career to get back
      to.' "

      He laughed. "It was a good thing I did," he said.

      Carl Braun, the Knicks' star forward, was a rookie from Colgate that
      season with Misaka. They were roommates during the team's training
      camp and on the weekends the players were given off, Braun took
      Misaka home with him to Long Island. They became friends.

      "My parents found him to be such a nice person, they were delighted,"
      Braun said from his home in Stuart, Fla. Misaka and Braun, 77, were
      reunited by telephone for the first time in more than five decades on
      N.B.A. TV last month. Afterward, they spoke about one another.

      "He was a baby-faced, handsome boy," Misaka recalled. "He had this
      shot he developed, two-handed over his head. I remember him smiling a
      lot. He was friendly, had a good disposition. I liked him a lot. He
      was good to me."

      Braun chuckled when recalling their telephone reunion. "Fifty-seven
      years later, it's very strange," he said. "Wat really wasn't around
      that long at that time. I remember I was so impressed with him as a
      person at that time. It was nice to renew it, even though it was a
      short acquaintance."

      The Knicks drafted Misaka shortly after a memorable defensive
      performance in the championship game of the 1947 National Invitation
      Tournament. He held Ralph Beard of Kentucky to 1 point, and his six-
      man Utah team upset Kentucky, coached by Adolph Rupp, 49-45, in
      Madison Square Garden.

      An article in The New York Times on March 25, 1947, described his
      impact: "Little Wat Misaka, American born of Japanese descent, was
      a 'cute' fellow intercepting passes and making the night miserable
      for Kentucky."

      Braun remembered that game. "Wat had gotten a tremendous amount of
      publicity because of how he played against Kentucky," he recalled.

      Misaka agreed. "When I look back over my career, that probably was
      the best game I played over all," he said. "I was lucky, being in
      right place. I got a lot of rebounds and had a few steals."

      With the Knicks, however, it did not bounce his way for long. He was
      limited by his height and struggled with his shooting. He scored 7
      points in the three games he played. Irish called Misaka to his
      office to tell him that he was being cut.

      "I guess at the time I felt like it didn't have to be a reason,"
      Misaka said. "Being a minority, we learned to live with that sort of
      thing without complaining. So that was not anything new."

      The only intolerance Misaka said he experienced from his Knicks
      teammates was typical rookie hazing. He does not think he was cut for
      racial reasons.

      "There were a couple of New Yorkers on the team," he said. "They were
      a lot smarter than I gave them credit for, as far as looking for
      their own spots on the team. They gave me information on how to guard
      certain people that made me look bad. Before one game, they told
      me: 'He's the star player. Don't worry about him going right, he
      always goes left.' "

      Misaka went left and the star, whose name he could not recall, went
      right.

      "He was so small to be put in that position to make it into the
      pros," Braun said. "He got so much out of what he had, but to put
      someone in that size is difficult. You have to have an exceptional
      toughness or quickness."

      In college, Misaka helped Utah win two championships with his
      defensive skills.

      The first came in 1944. Although the Utes lost to Kentucky in the
      first round of the more prestigious N.I.T., they were invited at the
      last minute to the eight-team N.C.A.A. championship. Utah won the
      N.C.A.A. crown, and shortly afterward, Misaka enlisted in the Army.
      He spent nine months in Japan during the American occupation.

      Being Japanese-American left him feeling oddly displaced. "Most of
      the Japanese people viewed us as being different," he said.

      Misaka's father had emigrated to California in 1902 and then moved to
      Utah, where his mother's uncle was farming in Ogden.

      "I was interested in all kinds of sports and basketball was one of
      them," Misaka said. "My father was an avid baseball fan and
      encouraged me to do whatever I wanted. In school, I was also captain
      of the football team, a shortstop, ran track, played basketball."

      Misaka, who worked for the Sperry Corporation as an engineer, holds
      season tickets for the University of Utah basketball games. "I like
      the playoffs of N.B.A., but during season there are so many games the
      players don't seem to put as much energy or effort into them," he
      said. "I'm not a real fan of the N.B.A. I prefer the college game."

      Misaka was featured in 2000 in an exhibit of sports pioneers in the
      Japanese-American National Museum in Los Angeles, where his Knicks
      sneakers were displayed along with his Utah jersey and shorts.

      "Not the bloomers they wear today," Misaka said, his voice evoking a
      time when being different was not yet fashionable.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/05/sports/basketball/05misaka.html?
      pagewanted=all&position=