[TV] George Takei and the Dragon

  • chiayuan25
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2004
      The Trek Report: Uncle George Tilts at His Windmill
      Roddenberry's Vision, series updates and more.

      December 10, 2004 -

      George Takei and the Dragon:

      George Takei, the man who gave life to Mr. Sulu in the original
      series and eventually got his own ship, the Excelsior, in the films,
      talked to GM TV recently about Enterprise and his own aspirations in
      the Trek universe.

      "I don't think it's Gene's vision, because he was forward-looking and
      this show is going backwards," said Takei when asked about the latest
      Star Trek incarnation in a Web chat. "He loved the shock of the new,
      unknown lifeforms, discoveries, challenges, all that is lost when you
      go backwards."

      Takei has lobbied for years to front either a film or mini-series
      based on Capt. Sulu and the crew of the Excelsior. The International
      Federation of Trekkers pressed hard for Paramount to consider such a
      move but, according to Takei, the idea was never taken seriously.
      Even when he was called back to active duty for an episode of Star
      Trek: Voyager, the actor admits that he was the last one to
      know. "One day I got a phone call from a friend who called to
      congratulate me about a guest appearance and I said I knew nothing
      about that," Takei recalled. Checking with his agent, the actor was
      reassured that there was no Voyager guest shot in the works. "Two
      weeks later I was working on a TV thing in Canada and my agent rang
      to tell me that the Internet was correct and I was doing a guest shot
      on Voyager...so I've been checking the Internet ever since." Smart
      man but it does make one wonder about the effectiveness of your agent
      when everyone knows about a job you've landed except the actor and
      the agent.

      Look, I've met George Takei many, many times over the years and he
      is, without a doubt, one of the most gracious, friendly and genuinely
      nice people out there, regardless of his involvement with Star Trek.
      But he's also a lot smarter than he lets on in these chats. There
      are several reasons why the most we'll ever see of Captain Sulu or
      the crew of the Excelsior will be guest shots, supporting roles or
      off-shoot projects like novels.

      First of all, Takei seems to contradict himself while attempting to
      make his own case. By making an Excelsior series, he's taking yet
      another leap backwards. Admittedly not as far as Enterprise but
      still going backwards from where Voyager left off, which seems to be
      the point that fans critical of Enterprise point to as the launch
      point for any new series.

      Personally, the complaint just doesn't seem to hold any water.
      Apparently, according to the section of Trek fandom that thinks
      Enterprise has no reason to live, nothing interesting happened in the
      Trek universe before Kirk, Spock and McCoy started that first five-
      year mission. One fan who wrote in tried to tell me that the purpose
      of science fiction was to always look forward, to take place further
      and further in the future and to always create new technologies, not
      show how the technology we've made up could have come to be created.
      This is, of course, on the list of Dumbest Things I've Ever Heard.
      Science fiction can take place in any time period and involve new
      technology, old technology or NO technology. The story is the thing,
      people, not the setting.

      Another factor over the years has been the strangle hold that Rick
      Berman has had on the franchise. The more that exists in the
      franchise that was created by Berman (or at least attributed to him),
      the more he makes in royalties and the less he has to answer to the
      universe that Gene Roddenberry brought into existence in the 1960's.
      While he might be convinced to acknowledge that original work when it
      comes time to do a little stunt casting during ratings sweeps, it
      wasn't in his best financial interest to create any series or films
      that revolved around any of Roddenberry's main characters.

      As a fan, I would like nothing more than to see a project with Sulu
      or any of the other members of the original cast involved but using
      the lack of success of Enterprise as an excuse to try and make
      another run at it is slightly disingenuous. Takei would be the first
      one in line if Manny Coto decided that it was time to give up on the
      attempts to get William Shatner to do a guest shot (see this week's
      edition of "Shatner & Enterprise" below) and he knows it.

      http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/572/572193p1.html?fromint=1