[INTERVIEW] David Henry Hwang: Honesty and Identity

  • chiayuan25
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2004
      David Henry Hwang: Honesty and Identity

      Morning Edition, December 14, 2004 · David Henry Hwang is the author
      of several award-winning plays, from 1980's FOB (or "Fresh Off the
      Boat") to M. Butterfly.

      Scenes Chosen by Hwang
      James Cromwell and Al Pacino in 'Angels in America'
      Hwang reads from 'Golden Child'

      For our series Scenes I Wish I'd Written, Hwang discusses an exchange
      from Tony Kushner's play Angels in America. The play -- subtitled A
      Gay Fantasia on National Themes -- mesmerized audiences on Broadway
      in the early 1990s, and later on HBO.

      The Los Angeles-born Hwang, who won a Tony for his 1988 M. Butterfly,
      says Tony Kushner's Angels in America stunned him. "It's funny,
      political, humanistic," Hwang tells NPR's Susan Stamberg. "I was
      knocked out by it."

      Asked to choose a landmark scene from his own work, Hwang refers to
      his Golden Child. First performed in 1996, Hwang says the piece
      sprang from his own family's early experiences in the United States.

      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4226279