[SPORTS] Danny Graves - A Closer with Vietnamese Roots

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2004
      Vietnamese American Pitcher a Man for All Seasons
      Nguoi Viet Online, Sports Profile,
      Denise Nguyen, Aug 28, 2004
      http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?
      article_id=4cf061da667d3359be258934a7ace941

      SAN FRANCISCO-- It is the bottom of the ninth and final inning at
      SBC Park. Danny Graves walks to the pitcher's mound, scraping the
      dirt with his feet, getting ready to pitch the ninth inning for the
      Cincinnati Reds who are leading the home team, the San Francisco
      Giants, 8-7.

      As the "closer" — a specialized pitcher called on to end the game —
      Graves walks a fine line. He's expected to protect the lead and shut
      down the opposition. If he allows runs to score and blows a "save,"
      he becomes the target for the frustration of the Reds' spectators.

      Against the Giants on this night, the first batter he faces hits a
      fly ball to right field. One out.

      Graves walks the second batter, allowing the tying run on base. He
      walks the second batter and Marquis Grissom up next gets a hit. With
      two on, he remains unfazed and strikes out the fourth batter of the
      inning and then gets Edgardo Alfonzo to ground out to shortstop.
      Three outs. Game over. Reds win.

      It's just another day at the office for Graves, the first Vietnamese-
      born man to play major-league baseball. In his entire nine-year
      career, he's been baffling batters in a sport that his countrymen
      have yet to fully embrace.

      Daniel Peter Graves was born in the summer of 1973, the youngest son
      of an Army sergeant and a young Vietnamese woman working at the U.S.
      Embassy in Saigon. He and his family, which includes an older
      brother, moved to the United States when he was 14 months old.

      Graves' dad, Jim, loved baseball. Danny learned to love it, too, as
      a child in the Florida city of Tampa, where the neighborhood kids
      would pitch in the streets. At 5, he asked his parents to register
      him for Little League.

      At first, he wanted to be a catcher but abandoned the idea."As a
      catcher, you have to be able to hit, and I didn't hit very well, but
      I always had a strong arm growing up," he remembered.That arm
      propelled him through Brandon High School and earned him a
      scholarship to the University of Miami, where during his junior
      season for the Hurricanes, Graves posted a 0.89 earned-run average
      and led the nation with a school-record 21 saves. In 1994, the
      Cleveland Indians selected him in the fourth round of the amateur
      draft.

      His mother, Thao, who teaches English to Vietnamese students in
      Florida, thought he was crazy for wanting to be a professional
      baseball player. She didn't understand why he wanted to take up the
      sport for a living.

      "She wanted me to have a normal job," he said. "She didn't know you
      can get paid a lot of money being an athlete and able to take care
      of your family that way. Once she figured it's a good way for people
      to have a career, she was OK with it."

      It's been a more than a good career for Graves, who earns a reported
      $6 million a year. After two years in the minor leagues, he made his
      major-league debut on July 13, 1996, for the Indians against the
      Minnesota Twins, becoming the first Vietnamese-born player in a
      sport with an increasing number of Asians.

      The following season, he and three other players were traded to the
      Cincinnati Reds. On May 20, 2004, he became the Reds' all-time
      leader in saves, successfully closing out 149 wins for the team in
      his career. He's been a member of the National League All-Star team
      twice.

      At Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Japanese fans stand up, signs in
      their hands and cheer whenever Hideo Nomo runs to the pitcher's
      mound or Kazuhisa Ishii stands in the batter's box. Korean fans do
      the same for Hee-Seop Choi. It's not an uncommon sight in any
      stadium where an Asian player takes the field.

      But until Graves came along, the Vietnamese were left out of rooting
      for one of their own. Still, despite Graves' success, Vietnamese
      Americans do not flock to major-league stadiums. Other sports —
      soccer, tennis, basketball, football and, it seems, even table
      tennis — generate more fervor among the Vietnamese.

      Maybe baseball is just more difficult to grasp. How many strikes
      constitute an out? How many outs to end an inning? What's a
      sacrifice fly? With soccer, it seems easier to follow. Ball in net
      equals goal. Plus, in baseball, there isn't the non-stop action
      other sports offer.

      The lack of interest among Vietnamese hasn't gone unnoticed by
      Graves. He said he would like to take his skills to the country of
      his birth and teach baseball.

      "Any way I can introduce another sport where I came from would be
      nice because I know they don't know much about it," said Graves, who
      is emphatic about his love for Vietnamese food, particularly his
      mother's cooking.

      He also knows not a lot of Vietnamese children play Little League in
      the United States. A father of four, he recommends it to other
      parents."It's a fun game," he said. "It's a good way for kids to
      interact with other people and to teach them good sportsmanship.
      It's a good way to keep them away from the TV all day long.
      Baseball, it's just fun to me."

      Life as a closer in the major leagues is a pressure-cooker
      situation. It requires being mentally tough. Graves doesn't
      necessarily look the part, but he is. Blessed or cursed with the
      Asian quality of appearing younger than his years, Graves resembles
      a teen-ager, complete with blond highlights in his hair. Yet his
      teammates have named him "baby-faced assassin." His ammunition of
      choice? A sinker, two-seam fastball, changeup and curveball.

      Dr. Bill Harrison, who coaches the visual and mental aspects of the
      game to professional baseball players such as Greg Maddux and Jason
      Giambi, shares his experience working with Graves.

      "It was obvious he was very much attuned to being mentally stronger
      than most players. And he's not very big but he knows it's not about
      being big. It's about throwing quality pitches. Everyone says they
      do it but he really does it." Graves attributes his mental toughness
      to being raised to believe in himself, a trait encouraged by his
      parents. "It's helped me be focused and not be scared of the
      outcome," he said. "I think a lot of people in this game are afraid
      to fail. They don't understand that you have to fail before you
      succeed."

      And Graves hasn't had it easy. Even though he leads the National
      League in saves with 37, he was placed on the 15-day disabled list
      recently with lower back spasms. This season, he has pitched nearly
      62 innings, recording one win and five losses and striking out 38.
      His ERA is 4.09.

      "I know that if I go out there one day and don't do well, I have the
      next day to do better," Graves said before his trip to the disabled
      list. "A lot of guys can't handle not doing well, but I understand
      that's part of the game. You can't be perfect all the time."

      While Graves is best known nationally on the field, people in
      Cincinnati know him off of it, too. He is the local spokesman for
      the city's National Multiple Sclerosis Society's READaTHON program;
      honorary board member of Hamilton County's Special Olympics; and was
      featured in a poster on behalf of the Ohio Department of
      Safety's "Sober Truth" program. He also invites Little League teams
      serving underprivileged children to Sunday games at the Reds' Great
      American Ball Park as his guests.

      "He is one of my favorite players to work with," says Lorrie Platt,
      community relations manager for the Reds. "I know I can rely on him
      for our outreach programs. He is a great representative for our
      team. He gives 110 percent all the time."

      Even without the fanfare, people have noticed Graves' giving and
      respectful-of-others nature, an attribute instilled in him by his
      parents. In 2001 and 2003, he was the Reds' nominee for the Roberto
      Clemente Award, given annually to the major-league player who
      combines outstanding skills on the field with devoted work in the
      community. He also received the 2003 Lou Gehrig Memorial Award,
      presented annually by Phi Delta Theta International Fraternity to
      the major-league player who best exemplifies Gehrig's character.

      "I'm not out to get publicity for doing certain community service,"
      he said. "If I go out and make one group happy or one little kid
      happy, I feel like I did something right. It makes me feel better to
      help somebody out." If you'd like to write to Graves, send your
      letter to:Danny Gravesc/o Cincinnati RedsGreat American Ball Park100
      Main StreetCincinnati, OH 45202.